DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

Male, 23.

Favorite character is Perrin, due to how much I feel that I can relate to him.

Your in a marriage with a women who controls and dominates you utterly but at the same time you have a much more attractive women chasing you around?

Or can you speak to wolves?

I posted this and then read back a couple pages and someone asked a similiar question but im not copying i am wondering what you identify with in Perrin's character

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez way to criticize...I think that is the word I'm looking for :happy: You're not the only young one Sleeper, I'm 16 too :biggrin:

But I get how you can relate to Rand. I find that I can relate to Birgitte :birgitte:

Relating to characters in the book is pretty cool, but if anyone relates to Fain, can they give me some warning before coming near me?

Jeez way to criticize...I think that is the word I'm looking for :happy: You're not the only young one Sleeper, I'm 16 too :biggrin:

But I get how you can relate to Rand. I find that I can relate to Birgitte :birgitte:

Relating to characters in the book is pretty cool, but if anyone relates to Fain, can they give me some warning before coming near me?

Add to this list Simirhage Moghedien and lets just throw in any red sister....

Male 24

Favorite Characters: ALL OF THEM! Especially Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Faile, Thom, Moiraine, Lan, Nynaeve, Lioal, Min, Elayne, Aviendha, Tuon, Suian, Lanfear/Cyndane, Ishamael/Moridin, Demandred, Balthamel/Aran'gar, Graendal, Sammael, Rahvin, Aginor/Osan'gar, Semirhage, Moghedian, Mesaana, Be'lal, Asmodean, Gareth Bryne, Galad, Gawyn, Julian Sandar, Bayle Domon, Logain, Padan Fain, Mazrim Taim, Uno, Morgase, Tallanvor, Lini, Lews Therin, Bran al'Vere, Cenn Buie, Tam, Dain Bornhald, Geofram Bornhald, Bayer, Eamon Valda, Asunawa, Pedron Niall, Mordeth, Elyas, Floran Gelb, Aram, Saml Hawke, Howal Gode, Paitr, Mili Skane, Jaichim Carridin, Daved Hanlon, Falion, Asne, Marillin Gemalphin, Chesmal, Eldrith, Liandrin, Almen Bunt, Davram Bashere, Basel Gill, Rhuarc, Amys, Lian, Han, Liah, Bael, Chiad, Bair, Gaul, Couladin, Melindhra, Sevanna, Therava, Someryn, Selanda Darengil, Cadsuane, Herid Fel, Hadnan Kadere, Isendre, The Prophet/Masema, Halwin Norry, Reene Harfor, Barthanes Damodred, Birgitte, Damer Flinn, Fedwin Morr, Eben Hopwill, Jahar Narishma, Raefar Kisman, Jur Grady, Manel Rochaid, Charl Gedwyn, Peral Torval, Jonan Adley, Alviarin, Elaida, Reanne, Sumeko, Alise, Sheriam, Myrelle, Talmanes, Nalsean, Daerid, Estean, Leane Sharif, Tarna Feir, Silviana, Alanna, Verin, Masuri, Merana, Elza, Galina, Coiren, Katerine, Nesune, Sarene, Beldeine, Erian, Tsutama Rath, Toveine Gazal, Javindhra, Pevara, Seaine, Doesine, Saerin, Yukiri, Lelaine, Samitsu, Shemerin, Suroth, Shaidar Haran, Ituralde, Berelain, Valan Luca, Egeanin, Karede, Tylin, Karldin Manfor, Selucia, the Gholam, the list goes on.

Least Favorite: None.

Male, 23.

Your in a marriage with a women who controls and dominates you utterly but at the same time you have a much more attractive women chasing you around?

I posted this and then read back a couple pages and someone asked a similiar question but im not copying i am wondering what you identify with in Perrin's character

Niether of those. These are all simply my opinions of the character, based off of the way that I visualize the story as I read it, so it may not necessarily coincide with your views of the character. If I say something here that you didn't see in the books, then maybe I was a little indulgent with my view of the character, but that's the joy of reading a book rather than watching a movie. :)

Perrin has always seemed a very quiet person, thinking alot about doing something before he does it, sometimes coming off as stupid despite the fact that he's actually pretty intelligent. I talk slowly, I usually think before I speak, and alot of people think that I'm stupid because of that. Alot of that probably stems from my being a Texan, and I have a bit of the Texan drawl, but regardless of why I speak slowly, I do it.

Perrin is in a marriage with a woman to whom he's totally devoted, regardless of who else might be chasing after him or what that might cost him in the end. It's both a positive and a negative point, really. He's faithful to the point that he'd risk his own life, sometimes doing so despite an alternate path that would risk less. I'm in Afghanistan while my wife is in Hawaii, but if something happened to her I would do literally whatever it took to get back to her, regardless that it might cost me my career, among other things. I'd never even think of cheating on her due to the way I was raised and the personal sense of morality that I've got.

Perrin was thrust into a leadership position almost against his will, simply because he was giong about things the way he felt they should be done. I'm constantly being put into positions above my station due to my leaders thinking that I am capable of the responsibilities, despite the fact that I'm terribly shy and quiet when I'm put on the spot. I end up managing to do exaclty what they needed done, but I always feel inadequate, something else that Perrin seems to do alot of the time.

He doesn't like to argue, if it can be helped, but when he does argue he's so passionate about it that the person he's arguing with generally can't help but see his point of view clearly, whether they agree with it or not. I actually kind of like to argue, but most of the time I do it to pass the time and I make that clear to the person I'm arguing with. I sometimes argue simply for the sake of arguing. However, the only serious arguments I get into, I really get into them and even if I don't "win" the argument I walk away feeling that I've made my point clearly.

About the speaking with wolves, though, I think that the way Perrin was written to deal with that was very believable. Personally, I think it would be simply awesome to be able to communicate with wolves in such a way, but if I'd seen what Perrin saw in Noam, I might not be so inclined to embrace it, either. I do have my opinions, both good and bad, about that situation, but this isn't the place for the spoilers that I would very likely let slip.

That's a more detailed version what I meant by being able to relate to Perrin moreso than other characters. I most definitely can't relate to Mat; my luck is terrible on a regular basis. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd likely have none at all. I'm not the type that would ever be the main character in a story, plus I generally simply dislike Rand and disagree with the way he handles several situations, so there's that. I won't go into a detailed list about those two, but there it is. Hope that clears up what I meant. :)

Edit: I've been trying to post this for the past few hours, but the internet went down.

Teutonic Titwillow, I feel like sending you a wed wose. Brava, bravissima on your post. I especially liked your descriptions of Mat, Verin, Nynaeve, Elayne, Ishy, well they were all very very good.

I do like Egwene, though. I know what you mean about the tea scene. It's ugly and uncomfortable. But as much as I love Nynaeve, she goes around bullying everybody and so getting bullied was probably a good thing for her.

While Egwene's motivation has always been personal ambition, she is still guided by the basic two rivers morality structure, plus Aiel values and some Amyrlin-level wisdom. So she has the will and the drive to make it to the top of the cattiest, most powerful and stuck-up organization in the world, but is going to be a great leader when she gets there. If it weren't for that ambition, she wouldn't be able to get there.

So the motivation might be less-than-exemplary, but the results are big-time good? Not a bad thing.

16 girl and I feel really out of place now, haha!

Favourites have to be Cadsuane Sedai, Verin Sedai, Nynaeve, Mat, Faile to name a few.

I don't like Taim (reading about him genuinely keeps me awake at night, like now), Fain, Semirhage, and to throw in a goodie, I'm not too keen on pre- Gathering Storm Min. I don't like Gawyn or Galad or Berelain either.

I don't feel I relate to characters particularly, but I admire Cadsuane's strength, wisdom and commanding nature. I also admire Faile. She is strong, wilful, very clever indeed -- like an Aes Sedai, but her nature is still very human. I like that. :)

16 girl and I feel really out of place now, haha!

Favourites have to be Cadsuane Sedai, Verin Sedai, Nynaeve, Mat, Faile to name a few.

I don't like Taim (reading about him genuinely keeps me awake at night, like now), Fain, Semirhage, and to throw in a goodie, I'm not too keen on pre- Gathering Storm Min. I don't like Gawyn or Galad or Berelain either.

I don't feel I relate to characters particularly, but I admire Cadsuane's strength, wisdom and commanding nature. I also admire Faile. She is strong, wilful, very clever indeed -- like an Aes Sedai, but her nature is still very human. I like that. :)

A great thing about awsome well written novels such is the wheel of time is peoples ability to like two characters who do or would dislike eachother. I.e. Mat and any Asi Sedai

Male, 23.

Niether of those. These are all simply my opinions of the character, based off of the way that I visualize the story as I read it, so it may not necessarily coincide with your views of the character. If I say something here that you didn't see in the books, then maybe I was a little indulgent with my view of the character, but that's the joy of reading a book rather than watching a movie. :)

Perrin has always seemed a very quiet person, thinking alot about doing something before he does it, sometimes coming off as stupid despite the fact that he's actually pretty intelligent. I talk slowly, I usually think before I speak, and alot of people think that I'm stupid because of that. Alot of that probably stems from my being a Texan, and I have a bit of the Texan drawl, but regardless of why I speak slowly, I do it.

Perrin is in a marriage with a woman to whom he's totally devoted, regardless of who else might be chasing after him or what that might cost him in the end. It's both a positive and a negative point, really. He's faithful to the point that he'd risk his own life, sometimes doing so despite an alternate path that would risk less. I'm in Afghanistan while my wife is in Hawaii, but if something happened to her I would do literally whatever it took to get back to her, regardless that it might cost me my career, among other things. I'd never even think of cheating on her due to the way I was raised and the personal sense of morality that I've got.

Perrin was thrust into a leadership position almost against his will, simply because he was giong about things the way he felt they should be done. I'm constantly being put into positions above my station due to my leaders thinking that I am capable of the responsibilities, despite the fact that I'm terribly shy and quiet when I'm put on the spot. I end up managing to do exaclty what they needed done, but I always feel inadequate, something else that Perrin seems to do alot of the time.

He doesn't like to argue, if it can be helped, but when he does argue he's so passionate about it that the person he's arguing with generally can't help but see his point of view clearly, whether they agree with it or not. I actually kind of like to argue, but most of the time I do it to pass the time and I make that clear to the person I'm arguing with. I sometimes argue simply for the sake of arguing. However, the only serious arguments I get into, I really get into them and even if I don't "win" the argument I walk away feeling that I've made my point clearly.

About the speaking with wolves, though, I think that the way Perrin was written to deal with that was very believable. Personally, I think it would be simply awesome to be able to communicate with wolves in such a way, but if I'd seen what Perrin saw in Noam, I might not be so inclined to embrace it, either. I do have my opinions, both good and bad, about that situation, but this isn't the place for the spoilers that I would very likely let slip.

That's a more detailed version what I meant by being able to relate to Perrin moreso than other characters. I most definitely can't relate to Mat; my luck is terrible on a regular basis. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd likely have none at all. I'm not the type that would ever be the main character in a story, plus I generally simply dislike Rand and disagree with the way he handles several situations, so there's that. I won't go into a detailed list about those two, but there it is. Hope that clears up what I meant. :)

Edit: I've been trying to post this for the past few hours, but the internet went down.

Nice write up. I totally see what you mean and agree with your opinions on Perins character. Enjoyed your point on arguing you totally right that even though Perin says he doesnt like arguing he seems to be very good at it and always gets his point across. Jordan gives a good contrast of two different styles of motivation and leadership skills between Perin and mat. Two very different ways that seem to be equally effective. One thing I cant stand about Rand esp. in later books is that he uses fear/bullying to get people to follow him (there are exceptions).

And finally thank you so much for you service to our country. Love that your posting on this board from Afganistan and good luck over there.

Add to this list Simirhage Moghedien and lets just throw in any red sister....

I dunno, Moggi is a coward, and I'm sure theres a lot of people out there who would love to spend an evening with someone who

relates to Simerhage :biggrin: :biggrin:

Male, 25.

Fav Main/Supporting Males in order (top 5): Mat, Julian (spelling?), Lan, Gareth and Fyruk (spelling?).

Fav Main/Supporting Females in order (top 6): Brigitte, Egwene, Lini (reminds me of my Grandma... NO-ONE messed with my Grandma), Tuon, Aviendha and Marin al'Vere.

female, 16

only recently finished my first read through :D

my favourite charaters are old-rand, i loved his crazey moments and hearing LLT in his head... it was really interest.. also, most of the cool battles happen around him which has to make him one of my fav charaters)

mat- he is just epic in every way!!is always himself not matter what, he is hularious, an awsume fighter, knows battles and has the luck of the DO.. :mat: and like if he really existed in our would he would be like one of the riched people in the world from winning the lottery over and over... :D

avendivha. i love her sence of honour and i love how strong she is as a charater..

nynaeve- she healed stilling, helped cleanse the taint and does what ever she wants and has such a good heart though she can be annoying but every charater is annoying at some point in the books...

least liked charaters

tuon- grrr!!! who does she think she is!!! so arrogent thinking that she is better than everyone else, more important just because she is royal... everyone is equal no matter what!!! i hate the seanchan hierarchy as it is such a horrid, backwards system...!!! i know thats how she has been brought up but still... i wish someone would put an a'dam on her so her world can come crashing down around here... give her a taste of her own medicene (excuss the bad spelling :P)

elaida- what more do i need to say???

Male, 33 this year. Been reading this series for ages, damn!

Favourites - Perrin. We all get emo at least some time and he'll knock it off and return to his understated brilliant awesomeness. And if someone kidnapped my Wife, I certainly wouldn't make a good read either.

Nynaeve - Probably the biggest character growth in the entire book, into a truly superb character, both in morals, actions and intelligence.

Mat - It's almost too much honestly. But because he's so fun to read, I don't care.

Morainne - Without her forethought, planning and single-mindedness, they'd all be dead already. And she actually seems to be a great person too (you just have to dig).

Fain - ah, what a fun little ball of complete and utter evil insanity.

Dislikes;

Egwene - hysterically arrogant and hypocritical. Can't stand her, even in her 'awesome' moments. Acknowledge she has the potential to be great though.

Tuon - her social upbringing forgives her a bit, but still. The last battle around the corner and all she wants is to attack the Tower and collar AS. Even after she finds out she can channel, and that channelers aren't all bad (Joline, Teslyn). If she stays on this path, imo she's actually a genuine evil character.

Female - over 55 - big fan of the series.

Main characters: no favorites - they're all necessary to the plot.

Favorite secondary characters:

I really like Verin and I hated it when she died, though it made sense. Verin was all about knowledge and even when she got hi-jacked into being a dark friend, she turned it into a positive thing, helping Egwaine when she needed it.

Logain: I admire him a lot. He's a strong character who could probably be obnoxious, but he's not. He supports the Black Tower, even though he knows Taim is up to something bad. I look forward to when he gains his crown. He's a strong supporter of Rand and bends to Rand's will without being wishy-washy about it. I hope he has a stronger role in the last book.

Suan - she is a most admirable character and seems to have learned the most from her transformation. She's not afraid to learn from her predicament and she's certainly a person that Egwain can count on. Suan really has the best interets of the White Tower at heart.

Please forgive any spelling errors in the names - I listen, more than read, the WoT books.

26 male. Started reading when I was about 15.

I think one of the truly great things about the series is that it appeals to a large variety of demographics.

Favorite characters - Moiraine, Mat, Mazrim Taim, Nynaeve, Ishamael/Moridin. Who says a villains can't be favorite characters too.

29 Macho.... lol! I started reading this series when I was 17.

My favorite character is LAN for the good guys and Demandred for the Bad.

Least favorite is Faile cause she's too Damn Bossy and angry. Perrin needs to get his woman in check, lol! And on the bad side I never liked reading bout Asmodean. He was a punk Forsaken!

Male...15.

Been reading for about an year and ever since I read TEOTW Nyneave has always been my favourite - always caring and helping people even while totally screwing around spamming the lads' heads with ear-boxing thoughts. I believe I'm relating her with my parents being doctors and all. Other than that she's just about the only character I haven't seen showing personal growth...it's just that she has been exposed to totally different enviroments throuout the books and her change in attitude to the other characters is driven mostly by their own changes.

For my second place I belive I'd place Perrin. Honest, thoughtfull and well...wolfbrother blacksmith.

Mat's next on my list and pretty much every non-darkfriend with the exception of certain half-crazy totally screwed and selfish %$"£$ cough.elaida.cough is holding the next spot.

As far as darkfriends go Moridin and Demandred are the only sercants of the DO that I don't wish to immediately rip to pieces and balefire their soul while it's getting away from the dead bodies.

The character I TOTALLY HATE - I MEAN TOTALLY is Semirage. Kind of a Nyneave antipod.

PS:Sry for the typos/sentences that don't really make sense - I've never been one to be able to express myself while making sense + not really my 1st language.

I'm almost 33 and female. I began reading WoT in about 1992 and have re-read the series multiple times - i'd estimate about 20+ for books 1 to 8, 10+ for books 9 - 10, and a couple of reads of book 11. I have just finished TGS for the first time and am just beginning ToM.

I have always liked the main TR chars, ie Rand, Mat, Perrin, Eg & Nyn, as well as Moraine, Lan & Suian.

I can say the only characters i truly dislike are Elaida and Halima/Aran'gar.

• 2 months later...

Archived