DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

comment: Concerning Moghedien's ability in Tel'aran'rhiod...even Mesaana says that Moghedien's ability in the dream outstrip Lanfear's ability...but that she would never attack Lanfear because of Lanfear's strength and skill in the One Power. This makes me think that although she was far superior, she still had her flaws in the dream. Perhaps when Nynaeve created the a'dam for her, she accepted that it was there immediately instead of denying it, which made it harder to undo since Nynaeve had already accepted that it was there.

Question:

1. So the Aelfinn and Eelfinn "eat" the ability to channel the One Power? This is why Lanfear died, and why Moiraine is reduced in ability?

In Moiraine's case, yes. In Lanfear's case, no.

Chain of events:

Lanfear and Moiraine get drawn in and make their bargain, neither of them managing to get out again.

The Aelfinn(?) begin to drain their ability to channel, taking it nice and slow.

Moiraine sees a strange man who she assumes is looking for Lanfear.

Hole #1

The Aelfinn claim that Lanfear died, having been drained too quickly.

Lanfear reappears as Cyndane, reborn and lessened in power.

I believe that Hole #1 should be filled thus: Slayer (or Moridin, or some random dude) finds Lanfear in the Tower, and rather than try to bargain for her release, simply kills her so that she can be reborn in a new body. This would neatly explain why there was a strange man there in the first place, why Lanfear didn't simply show up again, and why she seems to think her ability to channel is less than it was previously.

As for Nynaeve and Moghedien, it might come down to a matter of will. Moghedien is known to avoid confrontation, while we know that Lanfear and Nynaeve are the kind to face their problems straight on. Maybe in addition to the other factors, Moghedien accepted that Lanfear was stronger willed, and that was the real reason she wouldn't confront her. We all saw what happened when Egwene won the battle of wills with Mesaana.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lew Therin wouldn't have been in any Ajahs as we know of them as they didn't exist in the Age of Legends. In the AoL an ajah was a temporary gathering for a specific purpose (ie: a couple of channelers making a circle to bake cookies etc).

By the End of the Breaking/Foundation of the White Tower ajahs fell out of use (no men to get their ajahness on with), and Ajahs were first seen. There were originally many Ajahs seemingly based around their own viewpoints, goals and politics, however by the end of their discussions and the foundation of the White Tower the Ajahs seemed to based around seven specific groups, which made the current sections of the Tower.

If there was a Stone tournament with all the characters who would win?

My money would be on Mat or Mordin. Mordin never actually plays the game that I remember, but I do think I remember him thinking about the game and dismissing it as too easy. Mat on the other hand I remember beating both Thom and his wife more often then not, and both of them are considered to be better then average.

stones tournament? hmmm

well, the best players of stones are either people who are good at warfare or at the Game of Houses. So the likely candidates would be:

all the Great Captains, Mat, Perrin and Rand (thanks to Lewis Therin's memories)

rulers of nations - especially Morgase, who has shown she knows it very well, Tuon obviously, and Berelain who has played a real game by keeping Mayene from the hands of the Tairens; Egwene maybe, and Siuan

among the Forsaken I would consider Moridin, Graendal and Demandred

then there is Thom

I think it would be between Mat, Rand and Moridin.

Channeling runs in families, or so they say. IIRC, a number of the Two Rivers channelers also had siblings who were channelers.

Now Rand is the most powerful channeler ever, and Galad Damodred is his half-brother.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light turned out to be a channeler? With a family link to Rand he'd probably be a fairly stong one.

Have we seen any hints that might suggest Galad is a sparker?

Channeling runs in families, or so they say. IIRC, a number of the Two Rivers channelers also had siblings who were channelers.

Now Rand is the most powerful channeler ever, and Galad Damodred is his half-brother.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light turned out to be a channeler? With a family link to Rand he'd probably be a fairly stong one.

Have we seen any hints that might suggest Galad is a sparker?

There's been talk that the way Galad sees the world when in the void during his fight with Valda that it was him subconsciously channelling. I believe during the fight his POV describes how he becomes hyper alert of the world which is similar to the descriptions of holding Saidin. That's mere speculation though since it could merely be hyper focus at killing the bastard who raped and murdered his mother. It's moot at this point anyways since there's no time for him to learn and because with saidin clean he's not going to go mad so even if he does hold saidin subconsciously and do things with it, nobody will know or really care. His followers will just attribute it to him being blessed by the Creator and so on too.

There's been talk that the way Galad sees the world when in the void during his fight with Valda that it was him subconsciously channelling. I believe during the fight his POV describes how he becomes hyper alert of the world which is similar to the descriptions of holding Saidin.

Yeah, I've seen that too. The claim is usually that the way it's described with Galad only occurs with Rand using the Flame and the Void early on. It's not true, as New Spring has Lan POV's that describe him using the ko'di that sound extremely similar to the Galad/Valda duel.

In tFoH prologue during the meeting with Elaida it's revealed that there's a red sister in Caemlyn spying on Morgase. In the next scene we see Rahvin using compulsion on her and telling Lanfear that he was using her to send false info back to the White Tower. Does anyone remember who she is or if her identity is ever revealed?

In TGS Egwene learns from Verin's letter that two BA members (Nalaene Forell & Elza) were with Rand. Do we know at all if Nalaene is still with Rand?

AFAIK she's still with that group.

That's what I thought. But you think Egwene would have thought to let Rand know either at their meeting or by messenger afterwards. Seems like a bad oversight on her part.

In tFoH prologue during the meeting with Elaida it's revealed that there's a red sister in Caemlyn spying on Morgase. In the next scene we see Rahvin using compulsion on her and telling Lanfear that he was using her to send false info back to the White Tower. Does anyone remember who she is or if her identity is ever revealed?

We don't know her ID except that she was too young to have got the ageless look.

She ran away screaming in fear out of the city when Rand attacked Caemlyn.

Other than the obvious one, what other facts dispute Taim as being Moridin? The obvious one being that Rand would have recognized Taim as the Wanderer whom his balefire crossed in CoS. I like the idea of Taim=Moridin, but I already see a big hole in it.

In TGS Egwene learns from Verin's letter that two BA members (Nalaene Forell & Elza) were with Rand. Do we know at all if Nalaene is still with Rand?

That's what I thought. But you think Egwene would have thought to let Rand know either at their meeting or by messenger afterwards. Seems like a bad oversight on her part.

It is rather Rands own fault. First he drops a bomb with his ravings about breaking the seals, then he storms out before Egwene has had the time to gather her thoughts. So much talk about there being "wisdom" in rands eyes, and yet he can not even figure out that spending an hour or so with Egwene, exchanging imformation just might be a good idea.

But of course, that is one of the big themes in the books, information is not to be shared with anyone, ever. Even the Dragon Reborn can not fight the will of RJ biggrin.gif

well rand used that as a control mechanism, allowing him to assume what course of action Egwene will make. It is really quite genious of him.

I would not use the word 'genious' about something that most people could have figured out. However, do you really think Rand staying around for a private chat, and some exchange of information would have changed anything? Only thing that could make her change her mind is if Rand said "I will break he seals because..." And as later comments in the books show, Rand does not have a 'because'.

So all he would have to do is to tell egwene that he will not discuss that particular thing any further, but there are other things they could talk about.

Of course, if people had shared information just like that, the Lights forces would have been united books ago, the Seanchan would have been forced to join, the BT would have been dealt with, etc. Which would have made the finale way less exciting.

Other than the obvious one, what other facts dispute Taim as being Moridin? The obvious one being that Rand would have recognized Taim as the Wanderer whom his balefire crossed in CoS. I like the idea of Taim=Moridin, but I already see a big hole in it.

Check out a lengthy debate on this subject in the Black Tower thread (I believe most of it is around pages 13-19).

It is rather Rands own fault. First he drops a bomb with his ravings about breaking the seals, then he storms out before Egwene has had the time to gather her thoughts. So much talk about there being "wisdom" in rands eyes, and yet he can not even figure out that spending an hour or so with Egwene, exchanging imformation just might be a good idea.

But of course, that is one of the big themes in the books, information is not to be shared with anyone, ever. Even the Dragon Reborn can not fight the will of RJ biggrin.gif

Yes saving Maradon , Restoring Bandar Eban , speaking with the Borderland ruler . The man is obviously not on the clock

Yes saving Maradon , Restoring Bandar Eban , speaking with the Borderland ruler . The man is obviously not on the clock

Between his meeting with Egwene, and the gathering at the fields of merillor, there is a full month. If that is what keeps him busy on the clock, I want that clock next time I have a deadline.

Archived