DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

Somathus, KefkaPalazzo :

Aran'gar chanel saidin. Would be hard for her to teach Compulsion to Delana, no? ;)

I think Rand will have a hard tile convincing the leader (mostly Egwene) that he has to break the Seals. I think that there will be more than just one day between the meeting and the new Strike at Shayol Ghul.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somathus, KefkaPalazzo :

Aran'gar chanel saidin. Would be hard for her to teach Compulsion to Delana, no? ;)

I think Rand will have a hard tile convincing the leader (mostly Egwene) that he has to break the Seals. I think that there will be more than just one day between the meeting and the new Strike at Shayol Ghul.

Perrin will no doubt be a huge help convincing them that it has to be done. Especially considering the army he's amassed that will also be on his side. Egwene will argue for awhile, then give over.

On another note, does anyone wonder if Elyas is still bonded to his Aes Sedai? For some strange reason, I keep wondering if maybe it's Cadsuane. No facts to back that up though.

On another note, does anyone wonder if Elyas is still bonded to his Aes Sedai? For some strange reason, I keep wondering if maybe it's Cadsuane. No facts to back that up though.

He's bonded to Rina, who was, IIRC, last seen among the TAS during the split.

-- dwn

-- dwn

thanks for answering that, I didn't know. Hmm, I still wonder if that will show up in the Last Battle or not.

-- dwn

thanks for answering that, I didn't know. Hmm, I still wonder if that will show up in the Last Battle or not.

Well, Elyas is already on his way there, with the wolves. I'd say that if they meet up or not depends entirely on what role the Aes Sedai play in the last battle, what role Rina herself will have and if she actually goes there or not. And Also if RJ wanted it/Brandon Sanderson decides to put it in the books.

Hi Rand stated to queen Tenobia that he was able to save Maradon 'with help' Does anybody knows who helped him and how?

Rodel Ituralde. I think it was supposed to be a bit of a jab at her. "hey, while you were down here goofing off, some Domani and I saved your [capital?] city. Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it."

Sent using Tapatalk

Do we have any quote denying that Crystal Throne is a binding chair?

No quotemistress (or quotemaster) I.... but this was similar to a question I heard asked of RJ at a book signing in Richmond many years ago. It was asked if the throne was a terangreal that gave the feeling of a need to obey, and RJ confirmed that it was, and that it was a terangreal that did not require a channeler to be used.

I think its more likely that the CT is something unique. We know from past mentions that the Crystal Throne affects those who stand before it strongly influencing them in favor of the person sitting on the throne. I would think it's probably that a binding chair's effect would be limited to the person sitting in it and not those around it.

Do we have any quote denying that Crystal Throne is a binding chair?

No quotemistress (or quotemaster) I.... but this was similar to a question I heard asked of RJ at a book signing in Richmond many years ago. It was asked if the throne was a terangreal that gave the feeling of a need to obey, and RJ confirmed that it was, and that it was a terangreal that did not require a channeler to be used.

I think its more likely that the CT is something unique. We know from past mentions that the Crystal Throne affects those who stand before it strongly influencing them in favor of the person sitting on the throne. I would think it's probably that a binding chair's effect would be limited to the person sitting in it and not those around it.

We know the Crystal Throne is a ter'angreal that does not require channeling to activate (per RJ).

I agree with the idea that a binding chair affects the person sitting on it and I think that we have seen one in the series. In the basement of the Tower, there exists a ter'angreal that is used to punish criminals. The BA hunters used it. I believe that that chari is a binding chair.

And that the Crystal Throne is a ter'angreal that had been in use in Seanchan since the Breaking and that Luthair's armies captured it when defeating the Armies of Night. Possibly a unique ter'angreal created by a Dreadlord during the War of Power to help enforce their control over a particular district that they were given by the DO to govern, or maybe it was created by the AS that fought on the side of the AoN for a similar puropse. As an AoN relic it makes perfect sense for Luthair's people and descendants to adopt it, since seeing the Emperor/ess in something traditionally connected with the AoN would help bring the natives under control (similar to the way the Pope adopted Celtic Yule and made it a Holy Day of Christianity, to help spread their own beliefs among a native populace). JMHO.

Possibly a unique ter'angreal created by a Dreadlord during the War of Power

I'm more convinced that it's a AoL relic from before the drilling of the bore. No particular reason. Just a hunch.

RJ also said Semirhage was immune to the CT's effect. Which means it doesn't work on everyone, maybe it doesn't work on any marath'damane or Ashaman.

I would say she is probably immune because she knows what it is and therefore knows how to counter its effects. Since ZinRand has all LTT's memories now it's possible he also knows how to counter it and this is why I think he won't be "kneeling before the Crystal Throne."

I'm more convinced that it's a AoL relic from before the drilling of the bore. No particular reason. Just a hunch.

I understand your thought, because that was my original thinking, but the more I thought about it and how we have had the AoL described (as much as has been described at least) the less likely I think it is.

It seems to have a very narrow purpose, inspiring awe and worship in those in front of it. That doesn't seem to fit with what we know of the other ter'angreal that were created during AoL, or with the entire idea of getting a third name based on merit, after all what need is there of respect for merit if respect and more can be gotten by sitting in a particular chair. And we know some of Cads' ter'angreal were "Breaking Era" creations. It just seems likely to me that it was either created during WoP or during the Breaking or maybe later by the AS that controlled the Armies of Night in Seanchan before Luthair's invasion.

Sorry, not trying to argue, I just realized that I didn't explain the "Why" part of my theory.

I understand your thought, because that was my original thinking, but the more I thought about it and how we have had the AoL described (as much as has been described at least) the less likely I think it is.

It seems to have a very narrow purpose, inspiring awe and worship in those in front of it. That doesn't seem to fit with what we know of the other ter'angreal that were created during AoL, or with the entire idea of getting a third name based on merit, after all what need is there of respect for merit if respect and more can be gotten by sitting in a particular chair. And we know some of Cads' ter'angreal were "Breaking Era" creations. It just seems likely to me that it was either created during WoP or during the Breaking or maybe later by the AS that controlled the Armies of Night in Seanchan before Luthair's invasion.

Sorry, not trying to argue, I just realized that I didn't explain the "Why" part of my theory.

First off, you don't need to apologize for arguing. About 90% of the ToM Spoilers Discussion topic is filled with argument/debate. As long as you're not being malicious and you're making sense I'm pretty sure you're solid. Haha!

Anyway, we still know relatively little about the AoL. Among Aes Sedai earning respect through merit was given much importance but there were probably "bad seeds" among them. And there's nothing I remember that says all channellers in the AoL were Aes Sedai. It may have been that they didn't feel compelled to pressure all those with the ability to channel into their organization like modern (third age) Aes Sedai. And is it confirmed anywhere that our brief glances at the AoL are indicative of the way things were across the whole world? Couldn't there be cultures elsewhere where things are done differently? Just a couple things to consider.

From ToM, Ch 22: The End of A Legend (when Gawyn asked Bryne for advice about Egwene)

"Gawyn folded his arms, unable to lean against the wall, lest he disturb a map showing orchards across the surrounding countryside. One village near Dragonmount was circled four times, for some reason"

Do we know what this village is?

From ToM, Ch 22: The End of A Legend (when Gawyn asked Bryne for advice about Egwene)

"Gawyn folded his arms, unable to lean against the wall, lest he disturb a map showing orchards across the surrounding countryside. One village near Dragonmount was circled four times, for some reason"

My guess is the unnamed village at the base of Dragonmount which was the setting for Chapter 1, Apples First.

My guess is the unnamed village at the base of Dragonmount which was the setting for Chapter 1, Apples First.

I believe this is also where the big group of farmers that show up at the FoM are from.

why did galad see sunlight in questions of leadership?

I think some have theorized that the overcast weather is a representation of the chaos in the world, and that by Galad gaining control over all the CoL the amount of chaos has decrease thus allowing for a temporary break in the overcast sky. Although this all depends if I am thinking of the right chapter

I think some have theorized that the overcast weather is a representation of the chaos in the world, and that by Galad gaining control over all the CoL the amount of chaos has decrease thus allowing for a temporary break in the overcast sky. Although this all depends if I am thinking of the right chapter

No, it's stated that "Silhouettes moved against an overcast sky." Galad just woke up with a headache inside a very dark tent and the cloudy light shining through holes was blinding.

That, or it's a mistake on the author's part.

I wondered the same thing and thought that Galad was seeing when Rand had his epiphany..at the same time Egwene seen it and the others. I haven't really looked at the timeline to see if it matches up.

I listened to Towers of Midnight from audible.com and its bugged me ever since I heard it why nobody reacted when Perrin revealed the Horn of Valere had been found and sounded. I thought there would be a gasp from the crowd. I just don't get how it's become such common knowledge.

I know I might be focusing too much on this, but there was a whole book in the series nearly dedicated to it. No POV's notice Hunters for the Horn anymore and if its such common knowledge now...why is Mat still so secretive about it. Has it become inconsequential in the scope of things? The bigger picture? Why doesn't Mat just tell Joline, Teslyn and Edisina that he was coming to Tar Valon to reclaim it other than back-handedly threatening that the Tower has something that belongs to him and hes coming to get it.

"Oh, by the by, let Egwene know that I need that Horn of Valere back. You know...cuz well...everybody knows that its been found and I sounded it and stuff. Cheerio and good day to ya."

I listened to Towers of Midnight from audible.com and its bugged me ever since I heard it why nobody reacted when Perrin revealed the Horn of Valere had been found and sounded. I thought there would be a gasp from the crowd. I just don't get how it's become such common knowledge.

I know I might be focusing too much on this, but there was a whole book in the series nearly dedicated to it. No POV's notice Hunters for the Horn anymore and if its such common knowledge now...why is Mat still so secretive about it. Has it become inconsequential in the scope of things? The bigger picture? Why doesn't Mat just tell Joline, Teslyn and Edisina that he was coming to Tar Valon to reclaim it other than back-handedly threatening that the Tower has something that belongs to him and hes coming to get it.

"Oh, by the by, let Egwene know that I need that Horn of Valere back. You know...cuz well...everybody knows that its been found and I sounded it and stuff. Cheerio and good day to ya."

I don't think people would be very surprised to hear that the horn has been found. They're dealing with bubbles of evil on frequent basis, it's widely known that the Dragon has been reborn in truth...anyone in the Westlands who doesn't believe the Last Battle is imminent is flat out in denial. Or living under a rock that hasn't come alive. Revelation of the Horn being found a few years ago would have been shocking; now it's more like telling someone you broke her favorite platter and then adding that it actually shattered into six pieces and not five.

Who blew the horn, though, isn't very widely-known at all -- and Mat's smart to keep it that way. He learned in TDR that his life would be in danger if that secret were to get out because many on both sides might prefer someone else blowing the Horn at the last battle. Only a few people actually know he's the Hornsounder. Egwene would know right away what he meant. He could also have likely been assuming that any other Amyrlin (since he wasn't sure it was Egwene) would at least know the Tower had possession of the Horn, and possibly that he had blown it. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting Joline to know about his connection the Horn. She's interested in him too much for his liking as it is.

Archived