DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

Anaiya Sedai

Ingtar Shinowa

Vandene and Adeleas

Jain Farstrider

Hopper, who has died twice and is gone for good.

Yoli (or whatever his name is, the guy in Maradon who brought Ituralde and his army into the city)

Verin Mathwin

Reanne Corly

Really, you could throw quite a few people in there. Just because the character didn't have a large part of the plot of the whole work doesn't mean they didn't have something important to do. As an example, Anaiya is the whole reason Egwene found out she is a dreamer. It was her thought that Egwene might be that led to Verin giving her the Dreaming ter'angreal, which has writ itself across the whole of the plot.

That's just a few people whom we have followed in some form or fashion that had an effect on what has happened and then died. Heck, you could even throw Mat and Aviendha into that list. They died, and (IMO) it was their deaths that threw Rand into the rage that led to him balefiring Rahvin so hard he undid their deaths.

Tylin Mitsobar.

Harrid Fel

Rarely do you see original members of the 'Fellowship' bite the dust. One of the reason I really like Martin's ASoIaF. Everybody dies in those books. Everybody.

Not for about four years now unfortunately. Will he ever finish a Dance with Dragons???

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randland is gathering into different alliances with the dragons land, the borderlands, perrin and his gang and seanchan.

But where in all this stans Murandy? Can´t remember anything about that tiny country on the map. Seanchan controlled? Who is king?

And also - do we know anything about Shara? Those two countries are two big empty spots in my brain.

So would love to get the latest news from shara and murandy :)

Randland is gathering into different alliances with the dragons land, the borderlands, perrin and his gang and seanchan.

But where in all this stans Murandy? Can´t remember anything about that tiny country on the map. Seanchan controlled? Who is king?

And also - do we know anything about Shara? Those two countries are two big empty spots in my brain.

So would love to get the latest news from shara and murandy :)

Shara is a big hole and will stay that way, we know a little about their customs and how they treat channelers from the BWB, but just like 99.999999% of the people in Randland, Shara is just a really big question mark to the readers also. Also RJ had said in interviews that the action will never go to either Shara or the Seanchan main continent.

Murandy .... well we know that Roedran is King, because he hired the BotRH to help him unify the minor Lords under him. And we know he gave Talmanes a very nice pipe. Besides that we know little but there has been a lot of speculation about that country. You might want to check out the Discuss Demandred thread.

Not for about four years now unfortunately. Will he ever finish a Dance with Dragons???

He seems to be re-publishing everything he ever had a hand in when he wasn't so popular, and also is very hands on with the HBO series.

I have given up trying to follow the progress of ADwD. He could certainly take some lessons from BS.

Is Grady's son supposed to be the rebirth of Gaidal Caine? I could have sworn I read somewhere that RJ confirmed that it wasn't meant to be Olver.

You are right, but Grady's son doesn't fit either. The timing is all wrong.

Question on that -- does the soul disappear from TAR when the reborn hero is BORN or when they are CONCIEVED? Nine months difference there.

Is Grady's son supposed to be the rebirth of Gaidal Caine? I could have sworn I read somewhere that RJ confirmed that it wasn't meant to be Olver.

You are right, but Grady's son doesn't fit either. The timing is all wrong.

Question on that -- does the soul disappear from TAR when the reborn hero is BORN or when they are CONCIEVED? Nine months difference there.

From what I have read about RJ book signing questions about that subject he said that the soul gets tied to the body at the moment of consciousness, which would imply somewhere during the 3rd trimester approx. so split the nine months in half and I would think you wouldn't be too far off.

So Gadial is either still in his new mom, or sucking on her breast at this point in the story. Definitely not walking and probably not talking yet.

Was it just me or was jains death really poorly done?

I mean yes, we all knew Noal was jain and he did not have a great deal of Face time or POVs but the building of the legend and every character reading his book and the many references. I would have liked at the very least a battle death scene instead of mat seeing the bloody sword and saying "well he's dead".

...unless he isn't dead?

Was it just me or was jains death really poorly done?

I mean yes, we all knew Noal was jain and he did not have a great deal of Face time or POVs but the building of the legend and every character reading his book and the many references. I would have liked at the very least a battle death scene instead of mat seeing the bloody sword and saying "well he's dead".

...unless he isn't dead?

I dont think the finns would just kill him. they would capture and feed off of him. especially since he is such a sad person due to his wifes death/being used by the shadow he would be very delicious to them indeed

Rarely do you see original members of the 'Fellowship' bite the dust. One of the reason I really like Martin's ASoIaF. Everybody dies in those books. Everybody.

Great... Thanks for RUINING IT!!!!!!!!............

jerk

Well, nearly everyone dies. The dwarf seems to be hanging in there.

Feel better now?

Haha! Thanks. I was just dicking around. Actually, I've almost bought the first couple books in the series several times but the fact that he's spent the last five years sitting on his hands with the 5th novel makes me stand-offish. I would really hate to start the series only to find out that he's never going to finish it. So I'm keeping myself busy with other series for now.

He seems to be re-publishing everything he ever had a hand in when he wasn't so popular, and also is very hands on with the HBO series.

I have given up trying to follow the progress of ADwD. He could certainly take some lessons from BS.

I believe that it was announced at Comic Con that he only had a few chapters left to write. But I could be wrong. I only peripherally track his progress.

I read the title and coldn't hep but think of this.

"Don't ask me silly question,

I won't play silly games,

I'm just a simple choo-choo train

and I'll always be the same."

My friend just lent me The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I had to pause that when ToM came out. Anyway... just thought it was an interesting choice of words =)

[edit] - actually that's strange - I think I have Dark Tower on the brain 0.o I thought the title said "silly" not "simple" =/

Wow. This is EXACTLY the same boat I'm in. I'm at the beginning of book 4 of the Dark Tower series and stopped to reread TGS and then read ToM.

I was thinking about how the Wheel of Time world could be one of the worlds tied to the Dark Tower. Could you imagine Roland drawing Rand into his ka'tet?

I loved the Dark Tower series but absolutely hated the ending. Kinda like how I felt about Lost.

She failed in her mission. Mesaana is just another excuse to punish her; she could have prevented it in Tel'aran'rhiod probably.

I get that but I still don't see why the GLoD would be writing her off?

And since Cyndane's condition persists despite transmigration, I don't see why Mesaana's would be any different.

It depends on what the differences are between the two. If your mind has snapped will it be reformed if you're spun out again?

If the simple answer to that is "No, you're still a dribbling fool" then ok, that's sweet.

But is it anything like getting spun out by the Wheel again? Sure, in a new life you don't remember your past but the GLoD might be able to circumvent that. If it's basically a Wheel spin with circumvention (which Lanfear would indicate it isn't, I guess) then it should all be sweet.

I guess my point is this - if anyone has definitive proof that she'll hold her looniness then ok, let her stay in the WT and soil herself every day. But if not...what are the chances of her disappearing/dying by the beginning of AMOL and then being around for the Last Battle?

I'd say slim chance but is there any definitive proof otherwise?

I think what really matters here is RJ's intentions. He obviously didn't want Rand to have to deal with 13 Forsaken at the LB, so he's been killing them off one by one. If he wanted Mesaana to stay gone/out of the way, then she will. Sorry to be so pragmatic about it.

She failed in her mission. Mesaana is just another excuse to punish her; she could have prevented it in Tel'aran'rhiod probably.

I get that but I still don't see why the GLoD would be writing her off?

And since Cyndane's condition persists despite transmigration, I don't see why Mesaana's would be any different.

It depends on what the differences are between the two. If your mind has snapped will it be reformed if you're spun out again?

If the simple answer to that is "No, you're still a dribbling fool" then ok, that's sweet.

But is it anything like getting spun out by the Wheel again? Sure, in a new life you don't remember your past but the GLoD might be able to circumvent that. If it's basically a Wheel spin with circumvention (which Lanfear would indicate it isn't, I guess) then it should all be sweet.

I guess my point is this - if anyone has definitive proof that she'll hold her looniness then ok, let her stay in the WT and soil herself every day. But if not...what are the chances of her disappearing/dying by the beginning of AMOL and then being around for the Last Battle?

I'd say slim chance but is there any definitive proof otherwise?

I think what really matters here is RJ's intentions. He obviously didn't want Rand to have to deal with 13 Forsaken at the LB, so he's been killing them off one by one. If he wanted Mesaana to stay gone/out of the way, then she will. Sorry to be so pragmatic about it.

Also look at timing, Aginor and Balthamel died at the end of book 1 and their transmigration was not complete until the beginning of events in book 6. The Lanfear/Cyndane transmigration was a little quicker, but not by much (going by elapse time in story). One would think that if the DO could do it quicker then he would have, so we have no reason to think that, if Messaana were to die suddenly the day after she is captured, she would be successfully transmigrated before the meeting at FoM or a day or so later at Rand's Seal Breaking Party.

I loved the Dark Tower series but absolutely hated the ending.

Ditto. Heard all the arguments about why it fit. Non-endings suck, imo of course.

Read the first book of ASoIaF. I can see why never killing off a main character is annoying to some, though I don't personally agree. Killing everyone (as Tsunami put it) though, turned me off. I've not felt even the slightest temptation to follow the story further, and that's rare for me. One HUGE reason I'm still following WoT in spite of my frustrations with Jordan as an author and the long delay between books is my need to know how it ends.

"and a murderer openly ruled in Seandar" Any guesses as to who that is?

Very unlikely to be anybody we've heard of. Also not the murderer. That was Semirhage, and she's dead now. Very very dead. As completely dead as it is possible to be in the Wheel of Time where there "are neither beginnings nor endings."

I only regret that balefire does not leave anything to bang forcefully on a shop counter. In the immortal words of John Cleese, "This is a former parrot."

Actually, I think it's "This is an ex-parrot."

My simple question:

What do we know about the Broken Crown?

Crown of Saldaea. Currently held/worn by Tenobia who is unmarried and has no issue. Next in line of succession is Davram Bashere, followed by his daughter whom we know as Faile.

I'm pretty sure that the broken crown refers to Min's viewing where she sees a wolf, a broken crown, and trees all around him. Presumably the broken crown symbolizes Manetheren, or possibly Perrin's refusal to take up leadership. The other common theory is Perrin being crowned king of Saldea due to Tenobia having no heirs, though I don't know how he could be Lord of the Two Rivers and rule in Saldea at the same time. I don't think we've ever had a description of what the crown of Saldea looks like.

It would seem to me that what she's seeing is Perrin and a Saldaean, ie Faile. Perhaps, Faile will take the throne of Saldaea at some point.

Sry about double post, but I have another (or perhaps first) simple question which I CANT answer without digging in a book I don't have. Can wielders of the True Power sense one another channeling? From Grendals description, I didn't get the feeling they would. Can anyone see what the Watcher had to say about it?

Graendal can see the weaves when Moridin channels in front of her.

And yet, it takes Semirhage awhile to realize what Rand is doing when he escapes the domination bands? What's up with that?

Sry about double post, but I have another (or perhaps first) simple question which I CANT answer without digging in a book I don't have. Can wielders of the True Power sense one another channeling? From Grendals description, I didn't get the feeling they would. Can anyone see what the Watcher had to say about it?

And yet, it takes Moghedien awhile to realize what Rand is doing when he escapes the domination bands? What's up with that?

Assume you meant Semi. Graendal mentions that you can't see True Power weaves unless you also have access to it. At the time Graendal sees Moridin's weaves we know that she has been granted the privilege of using it on a limited basis. At the time that Rand kills Semi with the True Power Semi did not have access to it.

My friend just lent me The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I had to pause that when ToM came out. Anyway... just thought it was an interesting choice of words =)

[edit] - actually that's strange - I think I have Dark Tower on the brain 0.o I thought the title said "silly" not "simple" =/

Wow. This is EXACTLY the same boat I'm in. I'm at the beginning of book 4 of the Dark Tower series and stopped to reread TGS and then read ToM.

I was thinking about how the Wheel of Time world could be one of the worlds tied to the Dark Tower. Could you imagine Roland drawing Rand into his ka'tet?

I loved the Dark Tower series but absolutely hated the ending. Kinda like how I felt about Lost.

I love Dark Tower. In fact I was going to start rereading that when I finish the Sword of Truth. Unless I break down and decide to try ASoIaF instead. Anyway, *SPOILER ALERT* are you talking about the original ending King wrote where you just see Roland walking toward the tower? Or the second ending he wrote to please fans where the Tower sends him back to the beginning of his quest and he forgets everything? I didn't particularly like either of them but The first one I thought was better when it was left to the reader to think about what was in the Tower.

I love Dark Tower. In fact I was going to start rereading that when I finish the Sword of Truth. Unless I break down and decide to try ASoIaF instead. Anyway, *SPOILER ALERT* are you talking about the original ending King wrote where you just see Roland walking toward the tower? Or the second ending he wrote to please fans where the Tower sends him back to the beginning of his quest and he forgets everything? I didn't particularly like either of them but The first one I thought was better when it was left to the reader to think about what was in the Tower.

I didn't know it was re-written. The one I read was the post re-write. The start over. I suppose it makes sense, but I just wished that SK would have been able to come up with something more profound or original. Either one strikes me as a cop out.

Can Mat's Medallion block both Saidin and Saidar? Or just Saidar.

Both, we see Halima (Aran'gar) try using saidin on it in Salidar with no effect. But it can only block direct effects (ie: weaves targeted at Mat) whereas indirect effect such as objects thrown with the power or lightning bolts created with the power can still effect him. This condition applies to both saidin and saidar.

Can Mat's Medallion block both Saidin and Saidar? Or just Saidar.

Both, we see Halima (Aran'gar) try using saidin on it in Salidar with no effect. But it can only block direct effects (ie: weaves targeted at Mat) whereas indirect effect such as objects thrown with the power or lightning bolts created with the power can still effect him. This condition applies to both saidin and saidar.

i wonder, can a ball of fire woven with the power hit him? because i know Cyndanes ball of fire unraveled on Alivia using Cadsuanes ter'angreal, but is Mats the same? and it doesnt make much sense to me that a bolt of lightning could hit him but a ball of fire could.

And yet, it takes Moghedien awhile to realize what Rand is doing when he escapes the domination bands? What's up with that?

Assume you meant Semi. Graendal mentions that you can't see True Power weaves unless you also have access to it. At the time Graendal sees Moridin's weaves we know that she has been granted the privilege of using it on a limited basis. At the time that Rand kills Semi with the True Power Semi did not have access to it.

i thought that there was a quote somewhere that said only the person wielding the true power can feel it in themselves? when i read Graendal sensing Moridins true power weaves i thought it was a mistake

Archived