DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished ToM so I'm a bit out of the loop as it were.

Here's my simple question:

Have we found out what the "obvious thing" that Brandon Sanderson said that all fans had seemingly overlooked was? I seem to remember a massive thread on these boards before the TOM release about what it could be. Do we know now?

Just finished ToM so I'm a bit out of the loop as it were.

Here's my simple question:

Have we found out what the "obvious thing" that Brandon Sanderson said that all fans had seemingly overlooked was? I seem to remember a massive thread on these boards before the TOM release about what it could be. Do we know now?

It was Mat's ashandarei (sp?). The fact that it wasn't just something the Finns used to hang him but was actually in fulfillment of his request for a way to leave. There's a thread on this on the spoiler board but it might be a page or two back now.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has there been any mention of Rand and the amount of OP he is holding during VoG by any male channeler in the world?

More specifically, I don't seem to have read anywhere what Moridin thought of what happened, except that if I remember correctly, he seems a bit upset when talking to Graendal.

It strikes that such an OP-related major event would pass unnoticed by anyone on Randland while the Cleansing was rambled on for 1 book. He was supposed to be holding even more of saidin then during the Cleansing.

So, really nothing about it?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has there been any mention of Rand and the amount of OP he is holding during VoG by any male channeler in the world?

More specifically, I don't seem to have read anywhere what Moridin thought of what happened, except that if I remember correctly, he seems a bit upset when talking to Graendal.

It strikes that such an OP-related major event would pass unnoticed by anyone on Randland while the Cleansing was rambled on for 1 book. He was supposed to be holding even more of saidin then during the Cleansing.

So, really nothing about it?

Rand doesn't ever actually channel the One Power he takes hold of in VoG. I believe (and someone correct me if I'm off) it's the act of channeling that much of the power that draws all eyes over the world. All he was doing was holding it. You can sense someone holding the power at a certain distance, but I don't know how greatly that is amplified by amounts held, but channeling can draw eyes from much further away than just holding the power.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a question but how the heck did Nynaeve survive the start of the battle in TAR? When Siuan shows up and tells Egwene the battle has started, one of the other sisters states Nynaeve is still up there fighting. But theres like 19 or so BA there. I know shes strong in the OP but come on. Youd think 15+ channelers would be able to destroy her. Unless she ran and was hiding.

Not really a question but how the heck did Nynaeve survive the start of the battle in TAR? When Siuan shows up and tells Egwene the battle has started, one of the other sisters states Nynaeve is still up there fighting. But theres like 19 or so BA there. I know shes strong in the OP but come on. Youd think 15+ channelers would be able to destroy her. Unless she ran and was hiding.

She wasn't just using the OP. Her TAR skills are almost as good as Eggy now. Remember that when Eggy was with the WO's, for weeks only Elayne went to the meetings, but Nyn spent almost every night except for the meetings in TAR working with Brigette before Moggy cast Brigette out. Nyn also captured Moggy in TAR, and I can't see any one of the 19 BA having anything close to Moggy's TAR skills. Part of the problems with Nyn's Testing are because Nyn has too much experience in TAR, according to Eggy. We can assume that when the BA burst in all of the other AS scattered like quail. Nyn would have scattered also, but instead of running away entirely, like the AS that reported to Eggy, Nyn started making the kind of guerrilla strikes that her and Eggy did later. Hit and fade, hit and fade. That was how I read that part.

She wasn't just using the OP. Her TAR skills are almost as good as Eggy now. Remember that when Eggy was with the WO's, for weeks only Elayne went to the meetings, but Nyn spent almost every night except for the meetings in TAR working with Brigette before Moggy cast Brigette out. Nyn also captured Moggy in TAR, and I can't see any one of the 19 BA having anything close to Moggy's TAR skills. Part of the problems with Nyn's Testing are because Nyn has too much experience in TAR, according to Eggy. We can assume that when the BA burst in all of the other AS scattered like quail. Nyn would have scattered also, but instead of running away entirely, like the AS that reported to Eggy, Nyn started making the kind of guerrilla strikes that her and Eggy did later. Hit and fade, hit and fade. That was how I read that part.

This. Also, this just reinforces that Nynaeve has the presence of mind to be linked with Rand at Shayol Ghul.

Do we know if Mattin Stepaneos is running Illian again? What's going to happen to him without his Kingdom?

I think there's something fishy with him. Maybe he's a plant. But if all is well, I imagine they'll give him back his crown, probably after Rand is dead. Illian might yet be important, since the Horn is connected to it, and Tuon is being aggressive on the border.

Why are the One Power, the True Source and the True Power named the way they are? Any significance?

The One Power is obviously not the only power - to name a few, the True Power, the World of Dreams, Shadar Logoth - so the name doesn't seem to fit.

The True Power seems like an egotistical way to say that the DO is the most powerful thing ever, but obviously he isn't. Forsaken fear using the TP, and apparently you aren't all that much stronger with it, you can just destroy the pattern much more easily.

Then comes the True Source and I get all confused as to the reasons things are named the way they are.

Makes sense, thanks. Would have been nice to get a POV of her during the onset of the battle.

Why are the One Power, the True Source and the True Power named the way they are? Any significance?

The One Power is obviously not the only power - to name a few, the True Power, the World of Dreams, Shadar Logoth - so the name doesn't seem to fit.

The True Power seems like an egotistical way to say that the DO is the most powerful thing ever, but obviously he isn't. Forsaken fear using the TP, and apparently you aren't all that much stronger with it, you can just destroy the pattern much more easily.

Then comes the True Source and I get all confused as to the reasons things are named the way they are.

The One Power and the True Source are the same thing. The 'True Source' is supposed to refer to the belief that the One Power is the mechanism that the Creator put in place to turn the Wheel of Time and cause it to spin out the Pattern. I'm not sure how the name the 'One Power' came about.

The 'True Power is the name give to the power that comes from the Dark One. It seems to be a part of His 'essence' and can only be channeled by those He grants access to. And yes, I would think that naming it the 'True Power' did come from ego, since only He and His Chosen can get to this power while (in the AoL) there were tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of One Power channelers. Plus there are apparently somethings that can be done with the TP that cannot be done with the OP, such as creation of cour'souvra (sp?) or mindtraps.

Makes sense, thanks. Would have been nice to get a POV of her during the onset of the battle.

I agree completely. I would have loved to have seen the battle from her PoV, at least for part of it.

A bloody stupid question but anyways:

I've won again, Lews Therin

Well, please enlighten me, how can he win thousands of times and still not conquer "Randland"?

I just find it a little odd that. He's boasting over and over again that he won, yet the world goes on as if he did not?

I guess the remaining AoL managed to push the AoD back again a thousands of times then?

Is hes statement just based on a personal win over LTT?

Rothaar: When Rand takes Verin and the others through a portal stone in The Great Hunt, at the end of each life he hears "I have won again Lews Therin". I thought that if the Dark One won even once the Wheel would be broken and therefore the Dragon would not be reborn again. How could the Dark One have won before to be able to say "again"?

RJ: There are degrees of victory. The Dark One can achieve victory by breaking free, but can also achieve lesser victories. Such as by stopping the Dragon Reborn from doing other things he was born to do. It isn't as simple as him being born to fight the Dark One. It's never simple.

Possibly the Dragon is born to help the Wheel transition from one Age to the next, and not fulfilling his destiny represents a partial victory for Shai'tan. What that actually means is beyond me. Perhaps Shai'tan (?)'s commentary is just personal sniping; I imagine a grudge would build up after awhile even for a god.

I've been toying with the idea that balefiring mirror worlds may not be exactly the same as balefiring the 'main world', and the Wheel will spin off a new 'main world' at each point of failure – so it wouldn't necessarily matter if the Dark side took over or not, like in the world Lanfear took Rand to in TGH. But possibly the mirror worlds are useful in some way to Shai'tan.

Cheers mate, it helped alot, I think. Hehe.

I would guess then, that at this particular spin of the wheel, it is crucial for the Dragon to succeed.

You've got an interesting idea. However, I do not think that the Wheel is taking sides? If the 'main world' is controlled by the DO, why would the Wheel spin out a new one?

From what I gather, the Dragon himself has to free the Dark One in some fashion that has never before happened. Maybe it requires the stress a tav'eren places on the pattern, at a specific place and time, but used in exactly the wrong way, to break him free, and nothing else will do.

I rather think that the Dark One counts the AoL as a victory: he got half the source tainted, forced the regression of civilization to pre-Industrial times, a massive amount of distrust between the sexes that is at least partially attributable to the taint, a weapon capable of destroying the world (the CK), not to the side effect the taint would have on the Dragon when he was spun out again. It made victory a lot more possible this Turn than it was before, imo.

However, I do not think that the Wheel is taking sides?
Of course it is. That's the point of ta'veren and of humanity in general; the Wheel perpetually weaves them into the Pattern which holds back Shai'tan's attempts to destroy it. It's the Creator that doesn't take sides.
I rather think that the Dark One counts the AoL as a victory: he got half the source tainted, forced the regression of civilization to pre-Industrial times, a massive amount of distrust between the sexes that is at least partially attributable to the taint, a weapon capable of destroying the world (the CK), not to the side effect the taint would have on the Dragon when he was spun out again. It made victory a lot more possible this Turn than it was before, imo.
Unless that's what happens every second->third Age transition, which is quite possible.

Archived