DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

Do we know what happened to Lan's bond with moiraine. She didnt die or get stilled, why did the bond pass?

There has been much discussion on this and it seems that the consensus was that passing over to the world of Snakes and Foxes in combination with what they were doing to her, draining her of her ability to channel, caused the destruction of the bond. I think that because the bond of a warder is a weave it stands to reason that when the party that wove it changes in an eternal sense, death or their ability to channel, the bond is broken. Remember that never before has the ability to channel ever just been able to drain away from a person. You could be stilled and healed improperly (Siuan and Leane)but while being alive it is impossible to be drained of the ability in Randland. But since Moiraine was not in Randland and regular rules do not apply to the Finns it goes to say that they could change her eternally or to put it another way, change her soul almost. Since we know channeling is directly linked to the soul from knowing that if a person is reborn they have all the same abilities; the Dragon will always be able to channel.

But there were some other ideas. Its not exactly a simple answer. sorry.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know what happened to Lan's bond with moiraine. She didnt die or get stilled, why did the bond pass?

Many theorized before TOM that either:

1. The destruction of the portal between worlds severed the bond, or...

2. Moiraine passed the bond herself.

Well, none of the Aiel are dogs, as well. The name might just be a metaphor for something.

Oh I absolutely agree, just seems an odd one. Aviendha mentions she had never even seen black eyes until she came to the wetlands. Was just interested in what the origin might be and if we had ever heard it.

How do the Forsaken know the comman toung? - shouldn't they all speak the old toung? (I have been asking myself that question since the first time I read the shadow rising 15 years ago)

The common tongue is a derivative of the Old Tongue (which was a more complex language) so they were able to easily pick it up. I've heard it described as someone who knows Latin being able to easily pick up Italian. I don't know if that's actually a good analogy or not because I don't speak either of those but that is the basic premise.

How do the Forsaken know the comman toung? - shouldn't they all speak the old toung? (I have been asking myself that question since the first time I read the shadow rising 15 years ago)

Beat by @Mark Grayson, but here you have it from the Creator himself:

Week 14 Question: If the Forsaken were sealed away in Shayol Ghul since the Age of Legends, with no contact with the outside world, wouldn't they be speaking the Old Tongue when they woke back up? How did they learn the Common Tongue?

Robert Jordan Answers: They still do speak the Old Tongue among themselves, but the first two who were freed, Aginor and Balthamel, had been held very near to the edge of the sealing, the reason they were so visibly affected and twisted while the rest came out whole and healthy, and they were very much aware of what had gone on in the world outside. You might say they had floated in limbo while watching three thousand plus years roll by, with the ability to zoom in. That is probably the only reason they didn't emerge entirely mad. In truth, those two have a much better understanding of the current world than any of the others because they watched it forming. They don't have a complete knowledge, because they couldn't see and hear everything at once, but they have an overview that is unavailable to any of the others, excepting Ishamael to a lesser extent. But then, he's a special case.

For the rest (aside from Ishamael), who spend those thousands of years in a dreamless sleep, the language spoken "here and now" was derived from the Old Tongue. I've heard the analogy used of a well-educated, highly intelligent citizen of ancient Rome needing to learn modern Italian. It would hardly be a slam-dunk, but he or she would have the roots of the language already. In the case of the Forsaken, the task is actually easier than that of the ancient Roman, since modern Italian is a more complex language than Latin, while the Old Tongue, as I have said time and again, is more complex and nuanced than the language of "today."

Archived