DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

Can Mat's Medallion block both Saidin and Saidar? Or just Saidar.

Both, we see Halima (Aran'gar) try using saidin on it in Salidar with no effect. But it can only block direct effects (ie: weaves targeted at Mat) whereas indirect effect such as objects thrown with the power or lightning bolts created with the power can still effect him. This condition applies to both saidin and saidar.

i wonder, can a ball of fire woven with the power hit him? because i know Cyndanes ball of fire unraveled on Alivia using Cadsuanes ter'angreal, but is Mats the same? and it doesnt make much sense to me that a bolt of lightning could hit him but a ball of fire could.

Physics. Mat's foxhead can be bypassed and hit with lightning created by setting up a potential difference using OP or objects (physical like pebbles) that have been picked up and thrown with the power. He cannot be touched directly with weaves of power. A ball of fire is a direct weave so he cannot be hit by it. But he could be hit by a flaming object that was set on fire by using OP.

New question: At one point Suian thinks she had seen false dragons (plural) while she was Amyrlin. We know she saw Logain. We know she hadn't seen Taim. AFAIK, she hadn't seen the guy in Haddon Mirk (who couldn't channel). Which other False Dragon did she see? Or is this an error?

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simple question, did something happen with nynaeves hair/braid? like was it cut off during her Aes Sedai testing? i dont remember that but someone made a vague reference to her having no braid on this forum

A portion of Nynaeve's braid was burned off during her test for the shawl.

New question: At one point Suian thinks she had seen false dragons (plural) while she was Amyrlin. We know she saw Logain. We know she hadn't seen Taim. AFAIK, she hadn't seen the guy in Haddon Mirk (who couldn't channel). Which other False Dragon did she see? Or is this an error?

No names given. Siuan was Amyrlin for eleven years, and
In ten years, we have found only six men with the ability. Just twenty-four in the last twenty years.
And also see this if you want to piece together some of the places. Not all of those could even channel.

hey everyone

i was re-reading ToM and in chapter "A Good Soup"

when elayne is talking to gawyn, she said she can feel him changing....

but at that point VoG is already past- she said before she felt him change one week ago and the cloud cover broke.

so my question what is she referring to when she says "somemething is happening to him. i can feel it,feel him changing.cleansing....roses bloom"

No names given. Siuan was Amyrlin for eleven years, and
In ten years, we have found only six men with the ability. Just twenty-four in the last twenty years.
And also see this if you want to piece together some of the places. Not all of those could even channel.

She was referencing men the Reds had hunted down. Not all of them had declared themselves the Dragon Reborn. In fact I believe Logain is the only false dragon with the ability to channel that she has seen at this point.

That is, of course, impossible to ascertain. Though that there are a number of men who can channel out there, most of the publicly troublesome captured by the Reds, and that even men who cannot channel claim to be the Dragon Reborn despite it being known he will be able to suggest that it's a likely possibility that some of them had made Logain's choice rather than Emarin's.

hey everyone

i was re-reading ToM and in chapter "A Good Soup"

when elayne is talking to gawyn, she said she can feel him changing....

but at that point VoG is already past- she said before she felt him change one week ago and the cloud cover broke.

so my question what is she referring to when she says "somemething is happening to him. i can feel it,feel him changing.cleansing....roses bloom"

Rand's epiphany occurred in one day, but the changes that resulted from that epiphany took a while to set themselves in place. Every time he went somewhere and faced the mistakes he had made a new change was brought about by his apology, and hurt, and sadness over what he had done. The cleansing I interpreted as him righting each wrong he had done before his epiphany.

That was how I read the scene and her reference to a Rand.

That is, of course, impossible to ascertain. Though that there are a number of men who can channel out there, most of the publicly troublesome captured by the Reds, and that even men who cannot channel claim to be the Dragon Reborn despite it being known he will be able to suggest that it's a likely possibility that some of them had made Logain's choice rather than Emarin's.

Yet Vandene tells Moirane in TGH that the last time the Reds caught one False Dragon in 5 years was so long ago that she doesn't even remember. Since her hair is white, that is indeed long.

Assuming one in 10 years still gives a few False Dragons, given that Siuan is Bryne's age and she went to the White Tower at 15. She probably saw one as initiate, one as Aes Sedai, and maybe two or three as Amyrlin. No names though.

New Question.

Any thoughts on Androl?

•  
  • He's extremely well traveled.
  • He's undergone multiple apprenticeships (may indicate unatural age).
  • Makes a note to be more careful around Algarin? about revealing how extensive his travels have been.
  • He demonstrates skill at "handling" people. Both bullies and followers, though is surprised that people keep deferring to him.

Is he simply an example of a male channeler that fended off the taint longer than anyone else ever has? If it isn't a big deal that one can channel anymore, why would he need to keep his longevity a secret from Emarin.

Is there something more to his past that he doesn't want to reveal? The "didn't know if he was stepping into the pirate's brig or the lionsfish's mouth" has two nautical references in it. And while he had likely traveled via boat to get to the mentioned islands, it is characters primarily associated with the ocean that we see using such nautical references. Was he a pirate? Was he an Amayar that left home when he learned he could channel?

Am I reading way too much into this? Why mention all this about him if it isn't going to be used? I know we all expect some seriously sweet use of gateways by Androl. I wonder how sweet of a deathgate this guy can make.

New Question.

Any thoughts on Androl?

•  
  • Makes a note to be more careful around Algarin? about revealing how extensive his travels have been.
  • He demonstrates skill at "handling" people. Both bullies and followers, though is surprised that people keep deferring to him.

Is he simply an example of a male channeler that fended off the taint longer than anyone else ever has? If it isn't a big deal that one can channel anymore, why would he need to keep his longevity a secret from Emarin.

Is there something more to his past that he doesn't want to reveal? The "didn't know if he was stepping into the pirate's brig or the lionsfish's mouth" has two nautical references in it. And while he had likely traveled via boat to get to the mentioned islands, it is characters primarily associated with the ocean that we see using such nautical references. Was he a pirate? Was he an Amayar that left home when he learned he could channel?

Am I reading way too much into this? Why mention all this about him if it isn't going to be used? I know we all expect some seriously sweet use of gateways by Androl. I wonder how sweet of a deathgate this guy can make.

I think Androl was given to us simply as an avenue to give us insight into the state of the Black Tower. He was made 'interesting' for similar reasons, just to give us an interesting character in the Black Tower that's not actually a darkfriend and someone we as readers can root for, regardless of whether he's just a giant red herring or someone that will actually lead the mass exodus alongside Teslyn out of the Black Tower into the hands of their female counterparts.

If he escapes, we can be relieved for him that he did make it out in one piece. If he doesn't make it out, well we'll also feel the emotional impact of that since he's painted as a good, good guy.

Was Tiana's letter the one that let Rand know that Mattin Stepaneos (and therefore the king of Arad Doman) was in the tower? Why did Tiana do this? When did we see her agree to do this?

Verin is likely the source of that letter, though why she chose Tiana, why Tiana agreed, or how Verin knew Tiana would be in a position to give it to Rand remains uncertain. We also do not know for sure what it contained, though Mattin and Alsalam seem very plausible. It's also suggested that it contained a warning about Weiramon and Annaiyella, and that this was how Rand knew to look for a dodgy reaction to his new found inner light. There could also be more we do not know.

Where is Logain? He's been MIA for two straight books. I can't remember off the top of my head where he was going.

We don't know, but given a 13x13 Mezar was howling to the wind about how he's just dandy, its likely Taim has a hand in his absense.

I noticed a few times throughout the book that there were people putting away letters sealed with red wax, a la Verin's letters. I didn't really pay attention to the appearances of these letters and who had them until it was too late. Does anyone have a handy list of people who had such letters in ToM?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure someone will create one sooner or later.

Does The white aura around Rands mind indicate that he is now continuously connected to the One power?

It's unlikely that whiteness was the One Power--Nynaeve would not see saidin. We don't know precisely what's going with Rand's new inner light. It seems to hurt darkfriends and hold off the madness, plus it seems to have given Rand super-weaving powers.

i think that the white enveloping the blackness was the lights way of fending off the DO's taint from hindering it's champion'a ability to bring balance, Rand has certainly channeled more of tainted saidin longer than any asha'man and would thus be more effected by it had he not had some resistance to it.

Was Tiana's letter the one that let Rand know that Mattin Stepaneos (and therefore the king of Arad Doman) was in the tower? Why did Tiana do this? When did we see her agree to do this?

Verin is likely the source of that letter, though why she chose Tiana, why Tiana agreed, or how Verin knew Tiana would be in a position to give it to Rand remains uncertain. We also do not know for sure what it contained, though Mattin and Alsalam seem very plausible. It's also suggested that it contained a warning about Weiramon and Annaiyella, and that this was how Rand knew to look for a dodgy reaction to his new found inner light. There could also be more we do not know.

Where is Logain? He's been MIA for two straight books. I can't remember off the top of my head where he was going.

We don't know, but given a 13x13 Mezar was howling to the wind about how he's just dandy, its likely Taim has a hand in his absense.

I noticed a few times throughout the book that there were people putting away letters sealed with red wax, a la Verin's letters. I didn't really pay attention to the appearances of these letters and who had them until it was too late. Does anyone have a handy list of people who had such letters in ToM?

Does The white aura around Rands mind indicate that he is now continuously connected to the One power?

It's unlikely that whiteness was the One Power--Nynaeve would not see saidin. We don't know precisely what's going with Rand's new inner light. It seems to hurt darkfriends and hold off the madness, plus it seems to have given Rand super-weaving powers.

i think that the white enveloping the blackness was the lights way of fending off the DO's taint from hindering it's champion'a ability to bring balance, Rand has certainly channeled more of tainted saidin longer than any asha'man and would thus be more effected by it had he not had some resistance to it.

except for taim who started before rand and is still channelling. Taim states it has somethign to do with what a man's made of which dictates how long he can hold off the madness

There is no way that Taim has channeled more saidin in his lifetime than Rand did in the Cleansing. In that one instance Rand channeled more saidin than all of the Asha'man could together, and he did it for hours.

misread, I thought he said longer, not quantitative amounts

except for taim who started before rand and is still channelling. Taim states it has somethign to do with what a man's made of which dictates how long he can hold off the madness

taim may have been channeling longer but he is not as powerful , the more one channels the more taint takes effect and im willing to bet by sheer power channeled rand would have been exposed to more of the taint than him and its only right that rand being the dragon would be resistant to it

New Question.

Any thoughts on Androl?

•  

Ok, I acidentally messed myself up there about another question I had regarding Emarin, I mean Algarin. Or...wait, who do I mean?

We read that Emarin, a former nobleman, pointed beard, etc.. is at the Black Tower. Algarin, a nobleman who housed Rand and asked to be tested had a brother named Emarin, whom Cadsuane had "taken care of." Same guy or did Algarin take Emarin's name? Or is this completely unrelated?

I think Androl was given to us simply as an avenue to give us insight into the state of the Black Tower. He was made 'interesting' for similar reasons, just to give us an interesting character in the Black Tower that's not actually a darkfriend and someone we as readers can root for, regardless of whether he's just a giant red herring or someone that will actually lead the mass exodus alongside Teslyn out of the Black Tower into the hands of their female counterparts.

If he escapes, we can be relieved for him that he did make it out in one piece. If he doesn't make it out, well we'll also feel the emotional impact of that since he's painted as a good, good guy.

It's quite possible. But I can't help reading into those little pieces that stand out. The man's had a dozen (12) apprenticeships. That's gotta raise some eyebrows. He supposes that he qualifies for all four of his reasons for learning to channel; desperation, revenge, curiosity and lust for power. Ok, I'm done.

Ok, I acidentally messed myself up there about another question I had regarding Emarin, I mean Algarin. Or...wait, who do I mean?

We read that Emarin, a former nobleman, pointed beard, etc.. is at the Black Tower. Algarin, a nobleman who housed Rand and asked to be tested had a brother named Emarin, whom Cadsuane had "taken care of." Same guy or did Algarin take Emarin's name? Or is this completely unrelated?

The Emarin Cadsuane captured is very much dead (COT23). There's good reason to believe it's Algarin, using his brother's name to honor him, or possibly as a disguise. "Emarin" at the Tower describes meeting Rand recently, which fits well with his being Algarin.

It's quite possible. But I can't help reading into those little pieces that stand out. The man's had a dozen (12) apprenticeships. That's gotta raise some eyebrows. He supposes that he qualifies for all four of his reasons for learning to channel; desperation, revenge, curiosity and lust for power. Ok, I'm done.

not really a 'poor' lord would need to know many trades in order to try and boon the family. I think Androl wanted to try to channel to pay homage to his brother, much like vandene

Archived