DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

I always inferred that his luck was part of his tav'eren nature and not a separate ability or attribute. Also, until he sounded the HoV I thought he might be Hawking reborn. That has little relevance now but I just thought I'd mention it for some reason.

Ive always thought his luck was mostly because of the taint of Shadar Logoth myself, but thats for another discussion :P

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always inferred that his luck was part of his tav'eren nature and not a separate ability or attribute. Also, until he sounded the HoV I thought he might be Hawking reborn. That has little relevance now but I just thought I'd mention it for some reason.

Ive always thought his luck was mostly because of the taint of Shadar Logoth myself, but thats for another discussion :P

There had been a very hot and long discussion on the nature of Mat's luck - mostly SL dagger vs. Ta'veren.

As usual, everybody stayed with their opinion :biggrin:

If interested, you can search for it, although I don't remember which thread it was. Mr Ares should know, he was quite active there.

ive got a question, i dunno if it has been said already.

how far apart can a circle be when they are linked?

i remember in TGS that Egwene kept her linked novices in the room behind her, is that the limit practically the limit of distance?

at least i dont like the idea that once linked you can stand at opposite sides of the world, i just hope there is some limitation

When Adaleas and Vandenne have Ispan captive and are linked for the shielding, Elayne talks about how far the link would be useful. She said that they had to stay close but gives not actual distance measurements. She mentions that they could be on the other side of the world from each other and the link wouldn't break, but would attenuate (become thinner and thinner) with distance until it soon became useless. Personally IMO I have always thought that a link was good/effective for only a couple hundred paces, maybe half a mile and that beyond that the amount of the Op that the one controlling the flows is really only a trickle and does not add much to the circle.

Help of the Light (hey, super-weaving ability), and help from Ituralde and Yeolin. They helped defend the city till Rand's arrival. Saving it for quite a long time.

Regarding the Towers of Midnight. We are told several times about the Lighttower bording thr blight. Their destruction/them beeing taken by the Shadow could also be an additional explanation.

"The bath" is in Winter's Heart. At the beginning or almost (I have chapter 10 in mind, but not sure at all...)

A little question on my own. Neald has been making Power-wrought blades for Perrin's army. Berelain has directly understood what he has been making. Is she so smart, or is there something beside this knowledge?

Also, regarding Power-Wrought weapon. What type of Power did Neald used? Certainly Fire, to keep the metal at the good temperature, but what else? Earth?

Why is it so drawing on the chaneler's part? Why did Mah'alleinir burnt the Trolloc's skin?

Sorry, I didn't read all 23 pages... if it has been answered, just let run

1) What exactly was the small detail that was missed and revealed in TOM? Is it the role of Matt's spear in freeing him from the Finns?

2) Does Slayer have any role in terms of fighting for the light? I remember a quote in the lines of that Isam hates wolves but Slayer doesn't at all...

3) Why doesn't Taim convert all channelers in the Black tower into black channelers? Is it to maintain the mystery around the character is he good/bad, or is there any 13x13 related problem?

Thanks. Haven't read all pages soz if repeated questions.

1) What exactly was the small detail that was missed and revealed in TOM? Is it the role of Matt's spear in freeing him from the Finns?

2) Does Slayer have any role in terms of fighting for the light? I remember a quote in the lines of that Isam hates wolves but Slayer doesn't at all...

3) Why doesn't Taim convert all channelers in the Black tower into black channelers? Is it to maintain the mystery around the character is he good/bad, or is there any 13x13 related problem?

Thanks. Haven't read all pages soz if repeated questions.

1) Yes, it appears to have been the ashandarei. Most people agree that it is.

2) None that I've noticed.

3) We don't know exactly what was done so we don't know how it was done. The two people we know were changed we also know were getting in the way of Taim's plans. It seems that he only does whatever was done when it's required to aid his plans in some way. A large faction of people at the BT seem to follow Taim of their own free will and just out of human nature. There's a lot of speculation on this, if you want a longer 'answer' (since nobody really agrees) I'd suggest reading throguh the Black Tower thread.

1) Yes, it appears to have been the ashandarei. Most people agree that it is.

2) None that I've noticed.

3) We don't know exactly what was done so we don't know how it was done. The two people we know were changed we also know were getting in the way of Taim's plans. It seems that he only does whatever was done when it's required to aid his plans in some way. A large faction of people at the BT seem to follow Taim of their own free will and just out of human nature. There's a lot of speculation on this, if you want a longer 'answer' (since nobody really agrees) I'd suggest reading throguh the Black Tower thread.

Thanks for the answers. I really thought ToM would have had much more about the black tower considering it's name but unfortunately it's still a very mysterious plotline.

Another thought: Is the title really appropriate for this book? I mean it sounds cool and in the grand scheme of the original AMOL book planned by Robert Jordan as a bridging title it kinda sounds right. As the word midnight symbolizes the buondary between one day and the next as someone mentioned in another thread, so a sort of intermezzo between the two other books of the trilogy. But in the end the Towers of midnight, the Senchan towers which is the direct meaning the Book title refers to are never really mentioned in any relevant detail so as to make the title a bit iffy... However, this might be in someway a foreshadowing? The Red aiels coming from this Senchan Tower of midnight?? Is this why the book was called this and the red aiels have a huge role or something? Ok i am going in very vague territory... i'll just throw it out there...

This isn't necessarily about the latest book but thought I would see what thoughts are out there.

Nyneave fully healed logain, and I believe an ashaman( Flinn maybe?) fully healed an aes sedai. So with those assumptions, why do Siuan and Leanne remain at such a decreased level of power.

Do you think Siuan, Leanne, and Moraine for that matter will be restored to their full potential?

Thanks for everyones thoughts!

This isn't necessarily about the latest book but thought I would see what thoughts are out there.

Nyneave fully healed logain, and I believe an ashaman( Flinn maybe?) fully healed an aes sedai. So with those assumptions, why do Siuan and Leanne remain at such a decreased level of power.

Do you think Siuan, Leanne, and Moraine for that matter will be restored to their full potential?

Thanks for everyones thoughts!

it was the Female to Female healing that wasnt fully effective.

Cross gender healing is 100% effective

Suian and Leane would have to be re-stilled then healed by Flinn or some other AM - Moir CANNOT be healed back to her original power level. That's not canon, just my opinion, but I would think that if she were stilled then healed the healing would bring her back to her current level. Lanfear's transmigration did not affect her power level, and I think that the only way Moir could come back to her original strength would be to take another turn on the Wheel, since the ability to channel is tied to the soul of the person I think that until their rebirth both Moir and Lanfear are stuck at their present strength.

Note: The DO's transmigration of soul is not rebirth of soul, which is why Halima/Aginor still channeled saidin.

Note: The DO's transmigration of soul is not rebirth of soul, which is why Halima/Aginor still channeled saidin.

Do you mean Halima/Aran'gar? Who was Balthamel before transmigration? Aginor was transmigrated as a man still so its obvious why he would still channel saidin.

what´s up with that Aes Sedai for whom Min saw a raven tattoo or something similar in the future. The one that got killed fighting black ajah in the dream world

Carlinya is a RAFO - we have been told Min may have misinterpreted what she saw.

Actually Carlinya and Shevan both die in the TAR.

"Report!" Egwene demanded.

"Shevan and Carlinya are both dead, Mother," Saerin replied grimly

Yes, the report makes it clear it is about the battle in T'A'R. Saerin wouldn't woke and sleep in turn to report about events in the Waking World. Further, Shevan and Carlinya were also in T'A'R, thus they died in T'A'R fighting Black Ajah. Or a Forsaken. So not that much a RAFO indeed^^

The deal is just about linking her death to the tatoo-of-a-raven Viewing.

When Elayne is talking with Gawyn, she mentions feeling a warm presence towards Dragonmount and feeling a recent change in Rand as well as sunlight over Caemlyn. According to where they are on the timeline (at least, where I reasoned them out to be) Dragonmount should be far past. So I'm wondering if this is a Sanderson mistake, I mis-read it, I mis-interpreted it, or what?

This is the second time the Ways have been used to transport massive amounts of Shadowspawn. Could it be that Machin Shin has been finally leashed?

There is some reason to believe that Darkfriend channelers may be able to hold off Machin Shin. Consider this:
After a time, Egwene said, “Liandrin Sedai, what if we encounter the Black Wind?” Min mouthed the word questioningly, but Elayne gave a squeak. “Moiraine Sedai said it could not be killed, or even hurt very much, and I can feel the taint on this place waiting to twist anything we do with the Power.”

[...] “You will not so much as think of the Source unless I tell you to,” Liandrin said sharply. “Why, if one such as you tried to channel here, in the Ways, you might well go as mad as a man. You have not the training to deal with the taint of those men who made this. If the Black Wind appears, I will deal with it.” She pursed her lips, studying a lump of white cheese. “Moiraine does not know so much as she thinks.”

When Elayne is talking with Gawyn, she mentions feeling a warm presence towards Dragonmount and feeling a recent change in Rand as well as sunlight over Caemlyn. According to where they are on the timeline (at least, where I reasoned them out to be) Dragonmount should be far past. So I'm wondering if this is a Sanderson mistake, I mis-read it, I mis-interpreted it, or what?

You mis-read it.
"Oh, it probably is," she said nonchalantly. "A week back the cloud cover in Andor broke around Caemlyn, but nowhere else."

"But . . . how?"

She smiled. "Rand. Something he did. He was atop Dragonmount, I think. And then . . ."

Yeah Balthamel/Aran'gar/Halima. I always get Balty and Aggy mixed up. I mean I know what each one did in the past, but since they both died in book one and their original name's have not even been mentioned but a couple of other times in the series. So which one became which of the "'gars" always gets twisted in my head.

As far as who taught Delana compulsion, well we know that the BA has been using at least 2 different forms of it, neither one seems to be like the original that Graendal knows. It could simply be similar to the way that Moir learns balefire. Just because a weave is forbidden, does not mean that knowledge of how to perform it is lost to all time. In other words, the idea that she knew it didn't bother me at the time, but I see why you are asking it and rather than just say 'I have no clue who it was' I thought I would give you the reasons that I rationalized in my own mind her knowing it.

I don't think she did. First, Graendal asks Halima "Does [Delana] know compulsion?" and Halima replies "She's been trained in it," not "I taught her," or something similar. Also, Halima doesn't know compulsion, or is very bad at it. Why would Delana have been made to do it otherwise?

Edit for stupidity.

Do we have any quote denying that Crystal Throne is a binding chair?

No quotemistress (or quotemaster) I.... but this was similar to a question I heard asked of RJ at a book signing in Richmond many years ago. It was asked if the throne was a terangreal that gave the feeling of a need to obey, and RJ confirmed that it was, and that it was a terangreal that did not require a channeler to be used.

I don't see why Rand and Avi shouldn't have time to sleep with eachother after tFoM? I doubt the last battle is done in a day :p

The timeline that Rand laid out to Egwene was to meet with her at the Fields of Merrilor and then the very next day go to Shayol Ghul and break the remaining seals.

I don't think there's gonna be a halftime. Especially not with marching bands and baton twirlers. Don't think there's gonna be any timeouts either. Not even injury timeouts.

Now, The dire situation in the Borderlands, Lan's charge into Tarwin's Gap, fires in Caemlyn, possible Seanchan invasion of Tar Valon, possibly still the situation at the Black Tower, those might mess with Rand's timeline, but, at this point, and given that he's got Min underfoot, I doubt that canoodling with Aviendha is even in it.

Is this correct? I don't have my book with me, but I thought it was more along the lines of " I will go to the FoM tomorrow to meet the rulers, and then to Shayol Ghul"

The "and then" being a somewhat ambiguous statement... could be taken as immediate or soon after or whatever.

Archived