DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

what are the Verin hypothesis, i don't remember seeing or hearing about her before. I thought with the way it was written that it was as if she was using some sort of compulsion on Avi, that she seemed to put Avi at ease easily, and Avi seemed to agree with what she said.

edit:just spotted she has her own thread. getting ready to read the 17 pages of posts now. Read the 1st one and will need to be convinced she's Verin.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have a ton of questions after ToM, most of which initiated by strange/odd/missing things in the books that detracted from my enjoyment. But still, some aren't so bad.

1) How did they raise AS before the Breaking?

When Rand does his Rand Sedai bit on Cadsuane, he says he was properly raised. How did they do it before the Breaking? It would have a large bearing on current events in the Tower, with the Kin. And it could help the AS and the Light in the LB. Do we have any clue how it was done before?

2) What happened to the Sea Folk ambassador, Harine?

By the Bargain, Rand is supposed to Keep her with him. She's around at the Manor in Arad Doman (I think?), but is not even mentioned in ToM. Not like Buddha Rand to break his word. Where is she? The Sea Folk are a tremendously underused resource. Maybe they'll show up on their own with a ton of Windfinders who can link now that Nynaeve & Merrilille have taught them.

3) What happened to the aid Rand promised Lan?

Again, not very Buddha Rand. He's at the gap with no help.

4) Do we have an answer for why the gateway didn't kill the gholam?

A shadowspawn not like other shadowspawn is pretty weak.

5) Do we have any idea if we'll get any information on what Rand and Egwene did for nearly 2 weeks, or an explanation for why they seemed to do so little?

Egggy: Not pulling in all the other sisters and making them take the oaths (at BT, with Borderlanders, with Cads); not telling Elayne Duhara is Black (that would have helped), not telling Rand (or Nynaeve) that Rand has a Black sister in his group; not helping the Borderlands, or Lan; not contacting the Borderlanders, not investigating more at the BT; not doing more to prepare AS to fight other channelers at the LB; not doing anything about the Seanchan; not doing any research (herself or others) about the Bore and LB.

Rand: Not helping Lan; apparently keeping the Borderlanders waiting for 2 weeks again (he sends an AM off to set the meeting "in a few days" after returning to tear (Egwene meeting +1), but doesn't get there until the day or so before Fields of Merrilor (Egwene meeting +26), no wonder they slap him; No getting his AS to do some LB research; not dealing with the BT; not helping the Borderlanders more (or earlier); not dealing with the Seanchan.

Man, they both had a lot on their plate, and appeared to whiff on most of it.

6) Do we have an explanation for the whole Justice thing?

If it is indeed Justice, isn't it referred to as a 2-handed sword before, and now is a one-handed sword?

Is Nynaeves still in possession of her Paralis-net after KoD and is it mentioned in either tGS or ToM?

It's mentioned in TGS (Tuon notices Nynaeve's jewelry at the meeting in Falme), but not in ToM. It's possible that she had to turn it over to the Tower after returning to Tar Valon since Aes Sedai are not allowed to keep angreal they find.

Well, I have a ton of questions after ToM, most of which initiated by strange/odd/missing things in the books that detracted from my enjoyment. But still, some aren't so bad.

1) How did they raise AS before the Breaking?

When Rand does his Rand Sedai bit on Cadsuane, he says he was properly raised. How did they do it before the Breaking? It would have a large bearing on current events in the Tower, with the Kin. And it could help the AS and the Light in the LB. Do we have any clue how it was done before?

2) What happened to the Sea Folk ambassador, Harine?

By the Bargain, Rand is supposed to Keep her with him. She's around at the Manor in Arad Doman (I think?), but is not even mentioned in ToM. Not like Buddha Rand to break his word. Where is she? The Sea Folk are a tremendously underused resource. Maybe they'll show up on their own with a ton of Windfinders who can link now that Nynaeve & Merrilille have taught them.

3) What happened to the aid Rand promised Lan?

Again, not very Buddha Rand. He's at the gap with no help.

A shadowspawn not like other shadowspawn is pretty weak.

5) Do we have any idea if we'll get any information on what Rand and Egwene did for nearly 2 weeks, or an explanation for why they seemed to do so little?

Egggy: Not pulling in all the other sisters and making them take the oaths (at BT, with Borderlanders, with Cads); not telling Elayne Duhara is Black (that would have helped), not telling Rand (or Nynaeve) that Rand has a Black sister in his group; not helping the Borderlands, or Lan; not contacting the Borderlanders, not investigating more at the BT; not doing more to prepare AS to fight other channelers at the LB; not doing anything about the Seanchan; not doing any research (herself or others) about the Bore and LB.

Rand: Not helping Lan; apparently keeping the Borderlanders waiting for 2 weeks again (he sends an AM off to set the meeting "in a few days" after returning to tear (Egwene meeting +1), but doesn't get there until the day or so before Fields of Merrilor (Egwene meeting +26), no wonder they slap him; No getting his AS to do some LB research; not dealing with the BT; not helping the Borderlanders more (or earlier); not dealing with the Seanchan.

Man, they both had a lot on their plate, and appeared to whiff on most of it.

If it is indeed Justice, isn't it referred to as a 2-handed sword before, and now is a one-handed sword?

1 - I don't remember any exact explanations on this but you can hunt around here for more info

2 - Harine arrives in ch.5 TGS, I think she just hangs around with the entourage after that

3 - Rand never promised any aid to Lan, but see ch.44 in TGS for Rand's strategy regarding the Borderlands and Lan

4 - BS has said that the gholam are not a construct and therefore can go through gateways. (sorry can't find the reference at the moment)

5 - There are huge gaps in the timelines and it has been implied (and possibly confirmed, but I'm not sure) by BS that there will be a catch-up in AMOL

6 - All we know about Justice is in ch.1 of TGS, it's not clear at all who found it and how, but Rand recognises it from Falme

3 - Rand never promised any aid to Lan, but see ch.44 in TGS for Rand's strategy regarding the Borderlands and Lan

Rand promised Nynaeve that he would:

"I will get help to Lan, I vow it to you, but right now I must prepare to face Egwene."

--ToM Ch 13

So I don't doubt that Rand will send aid, the question is whether it will arrive in time.

Rand promised Nynaeve that he would:

"I will get help to Lan, I vow it to you, but right now I must prepare to face Egwene."

--ToM Ch 13

So I don't doubt that Rand will send aid, the question is whether it will arrive in time.

Guess I missed that one - thanks :smile:

I don't doubt that help is on it's way (from Lan's POV in the Epilogue), It'd better arrive on time :angry:

Just wondering where Latra Pose is referenced in the books. Before I read TOM I noticed her name pop up on the spoiler board as the aes sedai who rejected LTTs request for the ladies help in sealing the DO, so I thought we'd see the whole event unfold from Rands memories. But I don't remember seeing it in TOM. And I don't remember her from any of the other books, except for LTTs rambling about the "women refusing to help" a couple books ago... Did her name come up then? I'm just confused because the spoilers comments seemed to indicate that they knew a lot about her, so I thought I'd see a whole scene containing a big argument with LTT & Latra come from rands memories.

Sorry, I'd go back & research it myself like any long standing self respecting WOT fan, but I have three kids under five now!! No such luxury as time!!

:-)

Thanks in advance.

She is not in the books. She is in a short work Jordan composed called "The Strike at Shayol Ghul" which appears separately in an online format. Everything we know of her, unless I am misremembering, comes from that work.

Oh yeah, I remember now! It's been years since I read that, I'd forgotten all about it!!

Thanks heaps, might go have a re-read!!

:-)

4: That quote from Brandon was more along the lines of, the Gholam were masterworks, and so some of the flaws of the original shadowspawn were addressed, and yes, the gholam did die within a few minutes of crossing through the skimming gate.

6: The quote I remember from reading in The Great Hunt earlier this week was something like 'his great sword justice' or 'his greatsword justice'. Not sure which one it was off-hand, but if it's the first, there's no contradiction. Also, most of the sword forms require both hands to be on the sword, which means that the hilts of the typical heron-marks are at least hand-and-a-half, and possibly full two-handers. Given their similarity to the katana, I'm betting they have the long, two-handed hilts to help balance the lack of a pommel.

Who is Emarin?

Emarin of House Pendaloan was a male channeler who Cadusane took to the Tower to be gentled. He has a brother, Algarin, who loaned Rand his manor house in tear until Trollocs attacked it. Seems like Algarin was considering going to the Black Tower to see if he could be Asha'man, due to this relationship.

Who is Emarin?

Emarin of House Pendaloan was a male channeler who Cadusane took to the Tower to be gentled. He has a brother, Algarin, who loaned Rand his manor house in tear until Trollocs attacked it. Seems like Algarin was considering going to the Black Tower to see if he could be Asha'man, due to this relationship.

It is Algiarin - he did go to BT in KoD with Logain and he's presumably using his brother's name.

Who is Emarin?

Emarin was Lord Algarin's brother. Back in CoT we are told he was helped by Cadsuanne after being gentled.

It is speculated that Algarin had taken on his brother's name before coming to train at BT with Logain.

See CoT ch.23 for more

Also, if you want to keep track of characters etc. this is very useful

Does Mat know that Perrin is a wolfbrother?

No. Not many know Perrin was a wolfbrother - prior to him telling his whole army in ToM that is. I doubt Mat even knows the concept of a wolfbrother exists. Keep in mind they havent seen each other since the start of book 4, so there hasnt exactly bene much communication between them either.

Does Mat know that Perrin is a wolfbrother?

No. Not many know Perrin was a wolfbrother - prior to him telling his whole army in ToM that is. I doubt Mat even knows the concept of a wolfbrother exists. Keep in mind they havent seen each other since the start of book 4, so there hasnt exactly bene much communication between them either.

Yeah, but I was wondering if it came out when they talked just before Mat left to rescue Moiraine - I mean, Mat told him about all his memories, right? So maybe Perrin returned the favor?

I was re-reading the Potter series recently, and I was struck by how many characters Rowling killed off, especially in comparison to Jordan.

I can only think of 3 important-ish Lightside characters Jordan has killed off - Ingtar, Noal and Arram - and that gives a lot of credit to Ingtar for his redemption - I'm sure there are more.

So, my question is: how many even slightly important lightside characters have been killed in this series?

I was re-reading the Potter series recently, and I was struck by how many characters Rowling killed off, especially in comparison to Jordan.

I can only think of 3 important-ish Lightside characters Jordan has killed off - Ingtar, Noal and Arram - and that gives a lot of credit to Ingtar for his redemption - I'm sure there are more.

So, my question is: how many even slightly important lightside characters have been killed in this series?

ummm... errr... hmmm... Oh! I know! Nicola!

I'm pretty sure that the broken crown refers to Min's viewing where she sees a wolf, a broken crown, and trees all around him. Presumably the broken crown symbolizes Manetheren, or possibly Perrin's refusal to take up leadership. The other common theory is Perrin being crowned king of Saldea due to Tenobia having no heirs, though I don't know how he could be Lord of the Two Rivers and rule in Saldea at the same time. I don't think we've ever had a description of what the crown of Saldea looks like.

Nope, not Manetheren or Perrin's refusal. Just like the royal crown of Andor is the Rose Crown and Illian has the Laurel Crown, or Crown of Swords, Saldaea's is called the Broken Crown. It's just a title, that Min's viewing showed. Her mind interpreted the proper name "Broken Crown" as a visual of a broken crown... follow me? Min doesn't always know what her visions mean, she was just sharing what she actually saw.

http://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Saldaea#The_Broken_Crown

Yeah and what was that about, killing off Nicola? I thought Min viewed some bright future ahead for Nicola back in Salidar, or was that for Ariana?

Yeah and what was that about, killing off Nicola? I thought Min viewed some bright future ahead for Nicola back in Salidar, or was that for Ariana?

The only bit I recall is that Min foresaw they both would cause a lot of trouble. Still, it's too bad Nicola died; I liked the character.

-- dwn

Archived