DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

ok, its been a while since ive posted here but i read up on the site quite a little bit. my question is this, and i dont have the text in front of me so dont jump on me too bad, what is the sword rand is wearing? the one he remembers from his own life yet is ancient? is it the knife of dreams? and if so what is it? what is its signifigance? any theories or facts that i just missed?

It's Justice, Artur Hawkwing's sword. He remembers it from Falme.

that was my initail thought as well but do we know that of a certainty or is that a supposition? and what is the knife of dreams then?

Yes BS has confirmed the sword is Justice.

Knife of Dreams comes from the opening epilogue: "The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are alike a knife of dreams. — From Fog and Steel by Madoc Comadrin"

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, new to the forums. here is my (simple?) question:

Why does the DO go to such ends to keep the forsaken from harming Rand?

My only theory is that the DO knows Rand will break the seals and wants him alive to do so. Any other ideas?

Simple answer: The Dark One wants Rand. He wants him mad, corrupted, and a soldier of darkness. Even while Rand thought he was fighting the Dark One, he was growing darker and darker as a result of all the things he'd done. The last thing the Dark One wanted was for Rand to realize what he did at the end of The Gathering Storm and come back to the Light, because he knew the Light would grant him power of its own. Sure it would have been convenient to just kill him and get him out of the way, but there's always that temptation (and we have Ishamael's testimony that it's been tried before) to sway him and turn him into an ally.

My only theory is that the DO knows Rand will break the seals and wants him alive to do so. Any other ideas?

Simple answer: The Dark One wants Rand. He wants him mad, corrupted, and a soldier of darkness. Even while Rand thought he was fighting the Dark One, he was growing darker and darker as a result of all the things he'd done. The last thing the Dark One wanted was for Rand to realize what he did at the end of The Gathering Storm and come back to the Light, because he knew the Light would grant him power of its own. Sure it would have been convenient to just kill him and get him out of the way, but there's always that temptation (and we have Ishamael's testimony that it's been tried before) to sway him and turn him into an ally.

Look at it this way - there is some vital way in which the Dragon can enable GLoD's jail-break. Otherwise, all GLoD had to do was sit tight and beaver away for a few more centuries at busting the seals and widening the Bore and order His Chosen to keep their heads down. Nobody would have realised anything until the Muahhaha moment when He emerged.

Instead, he's actually provoking a conflict. So GLoD needs TDR for some reasons - we don't know the reasons but it isn't seal-breaking; He can do that perfectly well on his own.

How did Olver win at Snakes and Foxes? Do you actually need to cheat to win or just be incredibly lucky?

I thought it was because Mat escaped from the Tower of Ghenjei... it's like, before Snakes and Foxes was impossible to win just like it was impossible to escape the Tower of Ghenjei. Now that it has been escaped, Snakes and Foxes is beatable.

Look at it this way - there is some vital way in which the Dragon can enable GLoD's jail-break. Otherwise, all GLoD had to do was sit tight and beaver away for a few more centuries at busting the seals and widening the Bore and order His Chosen to keep their heads down. Nobody would have realised anything until the Muahhaha moment when He emerged.

Instead, he's actually provoking a conflict. So GLoD needs TDR for some reasons - we don't know the reasons but it isn't seal-breaking; He can do that perfectly well on his own.

I would still bet that the Dark One wants Rand to break the seals. The offered explanation does not account for all the evidence. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the DO hasnt modified his orders to keep Rand alive even after his revelation in TGS. I understand that there is some chance that Rand could still go Vader again, but somehow I dont think so the way its been written. Rand's transformation seems complete. With that said, I just cannot believe that the DO is unaware of Rand's "redemption." Therefore, since TDO is aware that Rand is extremely unlikely to turn and TDO hasnt ordered him dead (inarguably the fastest way to TDO victory) I agree that Rand must be part of TDO's plan. Rand's plan to break the seals is the fastest way for TDO to have his MUHAHAAHA moment (I love your phrasing of this ROFL.) With that in mind, I believe that TDO first plan was to turn Rand. That failed, his back up to to overwhelm the light once Rand breaks the seals and really only Rand can/will do that.

I am just not sure what other possible purpose Rand can serve for TDO once Rand has little chance of the Vadering up.

As a side note. My favorite part of TOM was Rand's transformation. THIS is the Rand I hoped for starting with TDR. It would not have been so sweet without his journey toward the dark.

An aside from the Discuss the Entire Book thread.

What happened to Laman's sword? Rand started using the new power-wrought sword (Justice) in TGS, but I can't recall anything bad happening to his previous sword. Did he just start using Justice once he acquired it, relegating Laman's sword to his alternate pile? Or did something happen to it?

Actually, the Dark One wants the Dragon dead, and always has. It's Moridin that wants him alive until he admits that Elan Morin Tedronai is and always has been the better, brighter man.

Shadar Haran ordered Carridin to find and kill Rand way back in the olden times. That order has never been rescinded. Moridin had Carridin killed for trying to carry out that order. Moridin personally took a hand in getting Sammael killed because ole Sam tried to weasel past his ( Moridin's ) prohibition about killing Rand.

There just aren't any group hugs over at Team Dark, even between the Nae'blis and the big guy. Maybe especially between the Nae'blis and Shaitan. They need each other, but they really don't like each other, or even have common goals.

Actually, the Dark One wants the Dragon dead, and always has. It's Moridin that wants him alive until he admits that Elan Morin Tedronai is and always has been the better, brighter man.

Shadar Haran ordered Carridin to find and kill Rand way back in the olden times. That order has never been rescinded. Moridin had Carridin killed for trying to carry out that order. Moridin personally took a hand in getting Sammael killed because ole Sam tried to weasel past his ( Moridin's ) prohibition about killing Rand.

There just aren't any group hugs over at Team Dark, even between the Nae'blis and the big guy. Maybe especially between the Nae'blis and Shaitan. They need each other, but they really don't like each other, or even have common goals.

Do you know when that scene between SH and Carridin took place? I don't remember it and I'd like to check it out. I presume it must be one of the ones where Carridin is offering up family members to 'atone' for his mistakes, but I could have sworn those took place in TFoH before SH showed up. The next time I remember Carridin is in ACoS where Sammael smacks him around a bit.

-- dwn

how did annoura lose berelain favor? faile mentioned that she has lost her mistress favor.

has it been mentioned?

This happened a while ago, when Perrin told Berelain that Annoura had been secretly meeting with the Prophet without telling her. As for anything beyond that all we have to go on is Perrin's nose about what one or the other is feeling, but he notices that Berelain does not trust Annoura anymore at least as early as KoD.

The light isn't protecting Rand. The TP is. He's connected to the DO now, but all the DO can feel is his connection to Morridin. However, the TP is the force that drilled the bore, it can probably widen it. So here's my question:

Why didn't the chosen do that in the AOL? Ishmael probably could have figured it out.

Oh, right, I did have a (b). From p. 754:

"The Guardian blocks the One Power," Rand whispered. "The One Power only."

This is in Far Madding, in the context of "I'd have returned those slaps with balefire." So... have we had any indication that Rand has access to the True Power? Or is it just meant to imply that, if he hadn't seen the light, he'd be serving the Dark One by now?

Rand used the True Power to break free of the Domination Band and balefire Semirhage. The extreme LTT reaction to Rand's use of the TP also means Rand has serious reservations about doing so, and would never use it casually.

I read that comment to mean he believes he could use the TP if he really wanted or needed to. And during the Last Battle he just might take advantage of that ability. However, for the time being, he is now easily and comfortably holding saidin 24/7.

Has anyone put together a KOD/ TGS/ TOM timeline yet? I have a general sense but basically I... I have no idea what's going on. :madmyrddraal:

Steven Cooper has a timeline that is clean until KoD and guesswork in TGS.

ToM is relatively easy to work out since they converge .

Just use VoG as a reference point.

There are gaps of course and Lan and Avi are both difficult to reconcile.

The light isn't protecting Rand. The TP is. He's connected to the DO now, but all the DO can feel is his connection to Morridin. However, the TP is the force that drilled the bore, it can probably widen it. So here's my question:

Why didn't the chosen do that in the AOL? Ishmael probably could have figured it out.

The what is the who now? Rand is most definitely not protected by the True Power. Lews Therin went apes*** because Rand was drawing from that source during The Last That Could Be Done. I doubt he'd be all mellow if he was drawing continuously from that source. Nynaeve observed Light shielding him from the thorns of taint upon his mind. There is a halo of Light and tranquility surrounding him now instead one of Darkness and malevolence.

Also, the True Power is not the force that created the bore, that was done with the One Power.

The what is the who now? Rand is most definitely not protected by the True Power. Lews Therin went apes*** because Rand was drawing from that source during The Last That Could Be Done. I doubt he'd be all mellow if he was drawing continuously from that source. Nynaeve observed Light shielding him from the thorns of taint upon his mind. There is a halo of Light and tranquility surrounding him now instead one of Darkness and malevolence.

Also, the True Power is not the force that created the bore, that was done with the One Power.

It was Meirin Sedai attemting to use another source of power that both men and women could channel. At least that's the info Rand got just before he saw it happen in Rhuideen

It was Meirin Sedai attemting to use another source of power that both men and women could channel. At least that's the info Rand got just before he saw it happen in Rhuideen

Rand's viewing of the destruction of the Sharom lets us know that if their attempt to tap into this new power was successful it would be the last time men and women would use separate sources. Instead they found the Dark One. The bore was created using Saidin and Saidar.

However, the TP is the force that drilled the bore, it can probably widen it.

No, the TP is the Dark One. The DO was completely sealed in his prison until the Bore was drilled, unable to touch the Pattern. He couldn't have been used to drill the hole in his own prison. Otherwise, he'd have just done it himself. There would also have been no need to drill in the first place to gain access to a new "Source" if they already had access to it. The notion is just plain incoherent.

I am sorry if this has been mentioned but

Do we know anything about the unseen eyes?

Yes. They can be sensed in T'A'R. There really is no good reason to think they're anything other than just a bit of weirdness RJ put in for flavor. People just constructed elaborate theories based on them under the assumption they were the Unnoticed Thing. They weren't.

Can anyone explain Lan's motivation in the Towers of Midnight?

For years, Lan has fought the Shadow. It was his life and his purpose. Then he met Moraine and helped her find the Dragon Reborn because this helped fight the Shadow. He trained Rand to fight because this helped fight the Shadow. Then he got married to Nynaeve giving him another reason to live. Then all of a sudden, Lan decides he cannot wait and wants to go north in to the Blight and fight Trollocs in a suicide run!

What is he thinking? He knows the Last Battle is imminent and yet he cannot wait a few weeks before possibly helping Rand defeat the Shadow permanently! Surely his crusade against the Shadow would be best served by ensuring Rand wins the Last Battle? I don't understand his thinking at all. He suddenly abandons his wife and marches off to virtually commit suicide fighting Trollocs by himself! What sort of plan is that? It seems a bit out of character for a man who has waited patiently before seeking to reclaim his Kingdom. He is a very experienced military leader and so would know how to conduct a military campaign to reclaim Malkier. He does not do any of that, he specifically goes out of his way to avoid raising an army and getting the necessary assistance he could obtain from his extensive contacts with the fellow Borderlanders, the White Tower, or his contacts with Rand's allies. I could understand him raising the Golden Crane in order to raise an Army to help Rand defeat the Shadow but he is not doing that. He only ends up raising the Golden Crane because he has is forced to. I just don't understand his thinking? Anyone able to shed some light?

Do you know when that scene between SH and Carridin took place? I don't remember it and I'd like to check it out. I presume it must be one of the ones where Carridin is offering up family members to 'atone' for his mistakes, but I could have sworn those took place in TFoH before SH showed up. The next time I remember Carridin is in ACoS where Sammael smacks him around a bit.

-- dwn

Prologue to The Dragon Reborn. It's a version of Shaidar Haran before he had named himself, so the order he gives Carridin most emphatically has to come straight from the DO. Very ironic because Pedron Niall has just ordered him to see to it that Rand comes to no harm.

Well, Rand is ta'veren, which is literary speak for "justification for doing things in the most dramatic way possible because the wheel somethings as the wheel wills" (does anyone get the impression that this is the michelin man? - you know, sentient wheels)

And you cannot tell me that the whole "Nynaeve gathering an army for him" thing isn't both dramatic and awesome.

Beyond that... who knows?

Oh, right, I did have a (b). From p. 754:

"The Guardian blocks the One Power," Rand whispered. "The One Power only."

This is in Far Madding, in the context of "I'd have returned those slaps with balefire." So... have we had any indication that Rand has access to the True Power? Or is it just meant to imply that, if he hadn't seen the light, he'd be serving the Dark One by now?

Rand used the True Power to break free of the Domination Band and balefire Semirhage. The extreme LTT reaction to Rand's use of the TP also means Rand has serious reservations about doing so, and would never use it casually.

I read that comment to mean he believes he could use the TP if he really wanted or needed to. And during the Last Battle he just might take advantage of that ability. However, for the time being, he is now easily and comfortably holding saidin 24/7.

Is this actually true? I've seen a couple of people mention this but I do not remember this from my reading. Is there a quote? If you are refering to to halo of light that a few characters mention seeing around him, I took that to be the same type of thing as the halo of darkness that was around him in tGS but reversed now that he has seen the light so to speak. I didn't think either of these was a function of the OP. More just an aura based on the mood of an extremely strong ta'veren.

Archived