DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer

Luckers

I always thought the sickness from grabbing saidin was a result of his negativity, like how his tavaren-ness skewed the wrong way in Arad Doman causing all the grain to go bad. That's why it was worst for him in Ebou Dar, and then after that he was ok.

Did Mat stay in Caemlyn for 50 days? It felt shorter, like a few weeks; cuz if he didn't, he broke his deal with Verin.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok 3 Questions...

1) Who is Slayer/Luc.. just some darkfriend human/dreamer that has it out for wolves? Does he have a past, some connection to the AoL, forsaken..? anything?

2) Fain was briefly brought up in ToM... but did nothing so far. Just a quick note to say he is still around and getting even more evil? Did I miss anything?

3) Whats with the whole prophesy/possible future after the Last battle (with Avi at the end of the book)? Every nation/people group that we have come to know and love over the last 13 books is destroyed/conquered in relatively few generations? All because Rand was 'evil' when he asked Tuon for peace the first time? What about the effects of other things, ie Mat being the prince, the Tuon can channel reveal, male AS and learning to link with women..etc.

- Why do we get a glimpse of such an extreem/depressing future when it seems other possibilities are more likely?

1. Slayer is a being with two souls - Luc (Tigraine/Shail's brother and Rand's uncle) who was sent to the Blight by Gitora (the AS that had the Foretelling about Rand being born) after one of her Foretellings and Isam (Lan's cousin) who was an infant when Malkier fell. We know these two are merged, we know they are an assassin for the Shadow, and we know they can enter TAR in the flesh. We don't know much about how all of this happened.

2. I don't remember seeing Fain after the prologue.

3. I think that the reverance that the LB survivors seem to view Rand and the Dragon-blooded with in Avi's vision indicates that it was not "evil" Rand that caused this to happen. Since Rand is held in such obvious esteem it seems much more likely that this future took place after Rand had his epiphany. It appears that he and his descendents still made some mistakes that made this bleak future possible. I don't think this future will come to pass now that Avi has seen it and can work to prevent it.

btw - Slayer (as opposed to the forsaken) is bad-ass, even though Perrin has kicked his ass twice. He's scarier than any of the forsaken has been - maybe it's cause he gets away all the time. Maybe that's why the Forsaken seem like wussies - they have some threatening lines, but when they actually show up on stage, they are pretty much toast in a few chapters.

Did Mat stay in Caemlyn for 50 days? It felt shorter, like a few weeks; cuz if he didn't, he broke his deal with Verin.

I dont have the official timeline with me or anything, but Rand said for everyone to meet in one month. Mat had already traveled to Camelyn by that point and he left only shortly before the meeting (depending on how long he was in the FInn world for.) So yeah, I would definetly say it was a month.

Sorry, meant 30.

Also, is Rand going to sleep with Aviendha in the Field of Merrilor? Because there's like 2 days until the Last Battle, otherwise it's a dead giveaway that Rand survives it.

Rand as it's way with the woman , i think just by looking into is loved one he can't pregnant them , Bible style.

Sorry, meant 30.

Also, is Rand going to sleep with Aviendha in the Field of Merrilor? Because there's like 2 days until the Last Battle, otherwise it's a dead giveaway that Rand survives it.

I could happen, I don't thing the whole Merrilor meeting is going to take place in a day so they will have some time. On the other hand, weren't they together in Ebu Dar for a good while? Its possible that she could already be preggers.

I have what seems to be to be a fairly stupid pair of questions, but there you go.

1) Without really thinking about it, I assumed that the "Towers of Midnight" would somehow refer to the Tower of Ghenjei, seeing as it was pretty obvious what ToM was going to involve, in terms of the plot. Now, however, I am thinking it probably refers to the towers in Kandor, but I cannot for the life of me think why they'd be so important as to warrant naming the book after. So, to what do the Towers of Midnight refer?

2) Along similar lines - the 11th book, Knife of Dreams, also seemed like a pretty random title. As far as I can recall, the only time the Knife itself is mentioned was in the opening page, in that poem/prophecy thing (my books are all at home while I'm at Uni, so I can't use exact quotes). So, again - what is the Knife of Dreams? If it was just a metaphor, why was the entire book named after it?

I can't help but feel that the answers to both questions are simple, but there you go. Any enlightenment would be awesome!

3) Whats with the whole prophesy/possible future after the Last battle (with Avi at the end of the book)? Every nation/people group that we have come to know and love over the last 13 books is destroyed/conquered in relatively few generations? All because Rand was 'evil' when he asked Tuon for peace the first time? What about the effects of other things, ie Mat being the prince, the Tuon can channel reveal, male AS and learning to link with women..etc.

- Why do we get a glimpse of such an extreem/depressing future when it seems other possibilities are more likely?

I think Avi is going to play some part in defining a new purpose for that Aiel after The Last Battle. Apparently the whole purpose of them living in the Three Fold Land and waging war upon one another is so they they would be prepared to fight in The Last Battle when the Car'a'carn comes. Once the Last Battle is fought that purpose will be fulfilled and they will be left with no purpose, and this lack of purpose causes them to cling the the purpose of waging war and ultimately cause them to start some sh!t with with the Seanchan. So its not Rand's failure to forge a treaty with the Seanchan which causes the Aiel/Seanchan war, but rather it is the Aiel who were the aggressors. There are some things in the possible future that seem indicate that Rand will indeed forge a peace treaty with the Seanchan. For one they state that the nations of "the wetlands" were not initially involved the the war and therefore we can conclude that the Seanchan had ceased their conquest of these nations for a time. Secondly, they often speak of breaking the Car'a'carn's peace, thus indicating that Rand wanted and likely had established a temporary peace with the Seanchan. The Aiel seemed to believe that the Seanchan would not hold to this peace and they decided to make a preemptive strike. So apparently Avi is going to have to help establish a new purpose for the Aiel in order to prevent this prophecy from coming to pass. I can't say what that new purpose will be, but I can say that if they end up re-embracing the Way of the Leaf I will be very put out.

3. Any speculation on why Rand's sickness from grabbing Saidin has disappeared? Seem to remember reading that was supposed to be what triggered the Moridin link and one reason why Moridin stopped using Saidin. I've thought maybe the "light" thing protecting his mind, but that should be protecting the taint, not crossed threads in the pattern. Moridin also doesnt mention any troubles with his hand again right?

Rand only got sick when he was reaching for the power. Once he had hold of it he was fine again; the power overrode the sickness. We have a number of scenes in earlier books where Rand anticipates needing the power, so he grabs saidin out of sight of everyone else to keep them from seeing the sickness phase.

UBER-Rand is now in complete control of himself, and that includes being able to hold saidin 100% of the time. No grabbing for saidin means no sickness phase.

I have what seems to be to be a fairly stupid pair of questions, but there you go.

1) Without really thinking about it, I assumed that the "Towers of Midnight" would somehow refer to the Tower of Ghenjei, seeing as it was pretty obvious what ToM was going to involve, in terms of the plot. Now, however, I am thinking it probably refers to the towers in Kandor, but I cannot for the life of me think why they'd be so important as to warrant naming the book after. So, to what do the Towers of Midnight refer?

2) Along similar lines - the 11th book, Knife of Dreams, also seemed like a pretty random title. As far as I can recall, the only time the Knife itself is mentioned was in the opening page, in that poem/prophecy thing (my books are all at home while I'm at Uni, so I can't use exact quotes). So, again - what is the Knife of Dreams? If it was just a metaphor, why was the entire book named after it?

I can't help but feel that the answers to both questions are simple, but there you go. Any enlightenment would be awesome!

This is hardly the first time a WOT title has had no apparent connection to the plot of the book. Often these title seem to be lifted randomly from some prophecy mentioned in said book. I really don't complain because this applies to many of the best books in the series ie "The Fires of Heaven", "Lord of Chaos", 'Knife of Dreams" and "Towers of Midnight"

Sorry, meant 30.

I could happen, I don't thing the whole Merrilor meeting is going to take place in a day so they will have some time. On the other hand, weren't they together in Ebu Dar for a good while? Its possible that she could already be preggers.

I think Rand wanted to talk to her but Avi was avoiding him to like maintain her honor or something because she was undergoing those tests from the Wise Ones.

One of the things I'm seeing Brandon criticized for is back-and-forth overlapping timelines. Check out the discussions about the Mat and Verin story relative to the timelines of the characters in the preceding and following chapters.

Time might not flow backwards in tel'aran'rhiod, but between the two Brandon books you'd almost think it did in the real Randland. Quite possible this Aviendha chapter actually happened as much as a month earlier.

This is hardly the first time a WOT title has had no apparent connection to the plot of the book. Often these title seem to be lifted randomly from some prophecy mentioned in said book. I really don't complain because this applies to many of the best books in the series ie "The Fires of Heaven", "Lord of Chaos", 'Knife of Dreams" and "Towers of Midnight"

Well, I could sort of understand "Lord of Chaos" - it was around that time that the DO gave that particular command, even if we don't understand it.

But I find it hard to believe that the titles are meaningless... especially as some have very obvious meanings (i.e. the rest of the books we didn't mention lol).

Either way, I wonder what the Knife of Dreams and the Towers of Midnight are.

"and a murderer openly ruled in Seandar" Any guesses as to who that is?

Very unlikely to be anybody we've heard of. Also not the murderer. That was Semirhage, and she's dead now. Very very dead. As completely dead as it is possible to be in the Wheel of Time where there "are neither beginnings nor endings."

I only regret that balefire does not leave anything to bang forcefully on a shop counter. In the immortal words of John Cleese, "This is a former parrot."

"and a murderer openly ruled in Seandar" Any guesses as to who that is?

Very unlikely to be anybody we've heard of. Also not the murderer. That was Semirhage, and she's dead now. Very very dead. As completely dead as it is possible to be in the Wheel of Time where there "are neither beginnings nor endings."

I only regret that balefire does not leave anything to bang forcefully on a shop counter. In the immortal words of John Cleese, "This is a former parrot."

It could be someone we've heard of, like General Galgan or even someone like Beslan or Tylee. But it's not any character that we'd find particularly significant; I doubt it's Mat or Demandred or anything along those lines.

How old is Grady's son? If he is under 2 yrs old, he should be the right age. When we first see Grady he is one of the first ones being tested in Rand's presence by Taim and his wife is mentioned (who glares at Rand) but I don't remember no kids and its not specified if she pregnant or not.

As I said earlier: in the beginning of LoC Grady's son looks to be about four years old. He's mentioned twice in that book, BTW. And no, under two years wouldn't be enough. Gaidal vanished from T'A'R shortly before Birgitte was ripped out, which was sometime after his last appearance towards the end of tSR. The kid would be a bit over a year old at the very most. Most likely, under a year. Well under. Nobody ever seems to take the pregnancy part into account (Birgitte included). So, deduct about 9 months from his age.

Read through those visions again: everything that happens is because Rand exempts the Aiel from the Dragon's Peace, so they eventually start their blood feud with the Seanchan over the Aiel damane, which by then is just an excuse for the spears to go to war once more, and it goes horribly after that. They never found a new purpose for themselves, and they don't adapt to new ways of warfare or technology as fast as the Seanchan do, and as a result of their losses they end up dragging other nations into the war by making the Queen of Andor/Cairhien think the Seanchan are going to attack (they weren't: those were just contingency plans in case they entered the war for some reason). By the time the Aiel finally go back to the Three-Fold Land, they're already corrupted and decadent and too reduced in numbers to recover, and the Seanchan just keep adapting and conquering until they control the Waste itself and the Aiel are just scattered, terrified little groups of scavengers wearing rags and slowly starving to death. In short, the Aiel must set aside the spear in the world to come if they are to survive and flourish.

Didn't RJ say insanity/madness couldn't be cured? Didn't Nyn do just that?

brandon NO EQUAL RJ

What's your point? I'm pretty sure we all realize that's the case.

And BTW, RJ did say the OP couldn't Heal insanity:

A Crown of Swords book tour 9 October 1996, Dunwoody, GA - Erica Sadun reporting

Q: New Dreadlords? Via True Power? What are limits of True Power? When did we see it used before?

RJ: Access to the True Power is a matter of wanting it and the Dark One letting you. NOT black cords. In Prologue to The Eye of the World, we saw Ishamael use the True Power to Heal insanity. The One Power can not be used to Heal insanity. True Power used at Shayol Ghul will fry you instantly.

Heal. Capital 'H'. Look at what Ishy does in tEotW: LTT reacts like it's a Healing weave, if a really painful, nasty version, and it works nearly instantaneously, also like a Healing weave. Now look at how Nynaeve "Healed" Naeff: nothing like any Healing we've seen so far. In fact, she specifically notes to herself afterwards that she didn't really Heal because she wasn't using a Healing weave on the taint itself. Yeah, she Heals the damage to the brain tissue, but that's damage she does herself by plucking out the taint-spikes one by one using pure Spirit (which true Healing weaves aren't). To get rid of it for good, she weaves something like a Compulsion counter-weave to finally destroy the taint while holding it in place so it can't sink back into Naeff.

So, no canon was harmed: you still can't Heal insanity with an actual, singular OP-created Healing weave. It's far more complicated a process involving weaves totally unrelated to Healing and it takes far more time to accomplish. By the end of it, Nynaeve couldn't spare the concentration to keep the heat from affecting her. And afterwards, Naeff wasn't woozy or tired or hungry or any of the other stuff associated with Healing. He simply didn't see Fades in the shadows anymore. The TP on the other hand...no problem. Hit 'em with a single Healing weave and they're lucid again in a matter of seconds, if writhing in pain and exhausted after the fact.

I don't know if this is asked before, but I cant be bothered to manually search the whole forum :p So...

Jain Charin/Noal is of course the "One Left Behind". Does this mean that he is dead? Yes, I know that it's kind of thin, but I truly liked the fellow.

As far as I can remember, the last one "left behind" was Thom, however, he did not die. And nothing indicates that Noal is dead except for the fact that he was left behind in another realm (haha) and blood dripping from an Aelfinn sword.

I think it's sad that the Farstrider, who had see so much of the world, written so many stories, would not live to take a part in the Last Battle.

Sorry, meant 30.

I don't see why Rand and Avi shouldn't have time to sleep with eachother after tFoM? I doubt the last battle is done in a day :p

Archived