DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went back and re-read "Veins of Gold" ... are we to infer that Rand can remember hundreds+ of his previous lives now? In greater or lesser number? Sort of like Birgitte after she was ripped from TAR?

I think so.  The questions are whether he retains any of that non-LTT info and will any of it fade ala Birgitte.  I'm betting "no" on both counts.

I went back and re-read "Veins of Gold" ... are we to infer that Rand can remember hundreds+ of his previous lives now? In greater or lesser number? Sort of like Birgitte after she was ripped from TAR?

I think so.  The questions are whether he retains any of that non-LTT info and will any of it fade ala Birgitte.  I'm betting "no" on both counts.

My guess, if he did have access for even an instant, is that it occurred because he was holding more Power than any man's ever held before and he was about to release Balefire to destroy everything, and that this thinned the barrier between him and his past lives.

I sincerely doubt outside of that instant he will ever have access again. The LTT memories are definitely real, and still there.

wow i'm so confused about a fave moment ???

Verin and Egwene was great ( i teared when she died.. Verin a champion among Aes Sedai  :'()

Rand and Semi i thought was good

Mat meeting with verin and his reaction about the alias' and stories he made going to waste ( i lol when i read that   :P)

the second time Egwene served Elaida's dinner and Elaida went postal beating Egwene and she took it and stood up as she was getting beat

Egwene the valkyrie during the seanchan assault was amazing :o

when Rand blasted Greandal's palace i thought was sweet and a real way to beat her the way Rand calculated it 8)

Rand's convo with his pops was good

and the end when Rand finally comes to terms and destroys the CK ;)

...also i enjoyed Perrin and Mat's realizations at the end of their chaps/ POVs when they both accept their paths... and also when they both see Rand through their visions are are like WTF Rand what are you doing to yourself!? ;D

on the side i think the whole Rand blindness was actually him pushing to be hard and strong and his whole destroy kick. that he became blind to love.

and Tuon seeing the darkness around Rand i think has to do with her being a sul'dam.

oh ya and not to forget ... long live Bela !!!

only one forsaken scene and no confirmation on Graedal's death (there's no way she was in that castle)

I don't see how it can be played out in a way that means she lives. The Compulsion would not just vanish of its own accord. She could not have released dude's Compulsion from afar without tipping off one of the women channelers present. She may have sensed danger, but she had NO way of knowing that her entire stronghold was about to be vaporized. The moment said place is no more then the Compulsion never happened. Unless she had a pet Aes Sedai do the Compulsion for her and slipped out the back door (bizarro theory that holds no water) then that chick is toast.

I wish there would have been more to it, but that's the way it is. She was a slippery serpent and he had to make sure she didn't sneak out the back door. I strongly believe that she's dead until proven otherwise.

only one forsaken scene and no confirmation on Graedal's death (there's no way she was in that castle)

I don't see how it can be played out in a way that means she lives. The Compulsion would not just vanish of its own accord. She could not have released dude's Compulsion from afar without tipping off one of the women channelers present. She may have sensed danger, but she had NO way of knowing that her entire stronghold was about to be vaporized. The moment said place is no more then the Compulsion never happened. Unless she had a pet Aes Sedai do the Compulsion for her and slipped out the back door (bizarro theory that holds no water) then that chick is toast.

I wish there would have been more to it, but that's the way it is. She was a slippery serpent and he had to make sure she didn't sneak out the back door. I strongly believe that she's dead until proven otherwise.

Technically, she could have programmed the weave to dissipated after a Delving. But I'd say Graendal's only got a 1 in 2, at best, chance of being alive.

Boy, there was a lot to like in this one. It's been a very long time since a book has had the kind of impact on me this one has had. I'd have to say my favorite scenes would either be Chapter 39 (the entire thing - I loved when Verin said "Oh and by the way, your dress is Green", the meeting with Tam choked me up, but I think the best line in the whole book was "And then she proceeded to spank the Forsaken." I jumped up from my bed and howled, that hit me very hard. I loved it!

I'm just replying to say that I lol'd reading these posts:

Egwene is an utter badass. She should have badass engraved into the great serpent on her ring.

I think he will now do the latter when Moiraine stages her Corenne from Finnland.

I think my favorite scene was when Rand reached out and grabbed the TP. I was shocked..I honestly could not believe it. Very powerful scene and touching it took the lions share of the fault for his complete loss of emotions for the reminder of the book.

Next to that, Egwene meeting with Eladia was awesome. Taking the beating there with the sitters watching, proving her point. Great scene.

As for complaints, I disagree about Perrin having nothing get done. I think some important strides were taken by him. He poured everything into getting faile (too much imo) and now he had nothing. He needed to rediscover who he is (motif for the ta'veren three), and these scenes are an important part of that.

I do agree that Mat sounded off. I think BS will be able to take the criticisms from this volume to improve his writing of him in the next book. He did a really good job with Rand and Egwene and when he puts as much time into Mat I think a good voice will develop.

To finish, we get some good info on the TP..good to see the effects on the person and how it feels. Now though, we have an issue. Rand used it and it is obviously what was causing the darkness everyone saw. Even though Rand Rand got his emotions back will he still have that darkness from the TP? I also wonder if Moridin and the DO know what happened.

Go read the 1-50 and epilogue thread. There are some good points made on why she has a decent chance of still being alive.

Technically, she could have programmed the weave to dissipated after a Delving. But I'd say Graendal's only got a 1 in 2, at best, chance of being alive.

Or she could have made the weave disappear after a couple of minutes.  Or she could have been watching from afar through a window and was holding the weaves and when she left they disappeared.  There's a number of explanations.  Nynaeve delved her but wasn't looking for traces of the previous weave.  We know from the past that there are those who are very skilled at Delving and others who can read residues well.  Nynaeve checked for any CURRENT signs of compulsion, which were no longer present but she didn't check for previous signs of compulsion.  Not that she might find any because Graendal is very skilled at what she does.  

Sorry for derailing!

And yes check the other thread... I made a couple arguments as to why I think it makes more sense for the sake of the book that she's alive.

ya, there's no way in hell RJ or BS wrote Graen out like that. She's been one of our major Chosen points since the beginning and she doesn't even get to have a final scene??

Can... not... wait... for... Towers... Of... MIDNIGHT!!!!

It's been 48 hours since this book was released and I'm already drooling for the second one.

Fingers crossed that it'll be out next year!!!

ya, there's no way in hell RJ or BS wrote Graen out like that. She's been one of our major Chosen points since the beginning and she doesn't even get to have a final scene??

Can... not... wait... for... Towers... Of... MIDNIGHT!!!!

It's been 48 hours since this book was released and I'm already drooling for the second one.

Fingers crossed that it'll be out next year!!!

This scene was not just about killing Graendal but about the depths Rand has fallen. It shows that Rand has gotten to the point he is willing to commit atrocities and is as bad as the shadow now. The fact that Graendal did not expect this shows that LT never did anything, or even considered anything like this (or she would have been worried about it in a PoV), that rand has abandoned the light. This is why it is a great and powerful scene. It is also why, even with the other theories going around already, Graendal will stay dead.

I also have a slight problem with the theories floating around that Rand will use the TP to seal the DO this time around. It's been said that you don't use the power unless the DO commands it. I doubt he's an understanding fellow and will let mr. Rand have a taste near SG.

I mean, It would be nice. Its also not like they can 're cleanse' Saidin, Dragon assured us that the last remaining CK we have is now ka-blammo. Maybe one of the super-badassed Two Rivers aes-sedai can make another set of CK's?

Oh and to the thing about Rand 'abandoning the light' in destroying Graendal's home. I don't think he's ever abandoned the light, except only half-way when he was about to make dragonmout taller. He'd simply embraced desperation.

That's not as unlikely as it seems--consider that Aran'gar may have run to her, taking Delana with her. Also Graendal likes powerful people amongst her pets. Channelers number amongst the most powerful about, and we know she had no problems with the idea of keeping channelers as pets.

favourite scenes, in no ptam articular order, off the top of my head-

Tam calling Cads a bully

Rand explaining to Nyn why he trusts her etc (and her finally realising that he isn't that ignorant).

Egewene making Elaida main course at that dinner.

Verin. Nuff said.

The scene where Rand banishes Cads- found it more powerful than the TP scene itself.

The part where Perrin realises he had been a jackass, and that he has an obsessive personality.

Just joined-this is my first post  :)

Anyway, my favorite scenes would have to be

1) Verin-isn't it so sad when you find out how much you really LOVE a character only to have them die two pages later  :'( She's one of my favorite people in the series now.

2) Egwene-has to be the most badass Aes Sedai out there (now that Verin is gone)

3) The last chapter with Rand, when he smashed the Choden Kal. You can't quit being human no matter how hard you try, and it was nice to see Rand finally figure that out

4) "Your name is Suffa, and Suffa will be a good damane"-time to learn some HUMILITY, Elaida!

1) Perrin finally getting some payback after making me suffer for 3 books.  Jeez dude, took you a while to come around.

2) Cadsuane getting banished.  CRAZY.  The the subsequent TAM, Rand, Cadsuane showdown.  Tam told her.

3)  Elaida.  Karma.

4) Probably my favorite:  especially Tuon's first POV.  I love Tuon.  First, actually getting some real feelings from her regarding Mat and second, her being so strong as to not succumb to Rand.  Way to go.

5) I have always been fascinated by Verin's character.  I am a "little" disappointed with here being Black, but nobody but she would be able to pull of being Black for the greater good.  

6) The White Tower being taken down a notch.  I really hate 98% of Aes Sedai, especially with their strength in the power governing system.  I really like the fact that Egwene is making them face their follies, instead of them trying to pretend they never existed.  They should all be Wise One's apprentices.

7) Last, but not least, Gareth and Siuan.  May they make many babies and retire to a farm.

PS.  I CAN'T wait for Gawyn to eat some humble pie when Morgase turns up in the general knowledge of the world again.  Hopefully, it will be in front of EVERYONE, Rand, Elayne, Dylin, Morgase, Gareth and painted in the sky like Rand's battle at Falme for all to see.

Archived