DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've finished my first read and I seem to be in the minority about one thing at least, I felt a bit let down by 22/23.  Not the way it was written or the impact but that you just knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as Semi was freed.  That's my opinion anyway. 

Anyway, apart from the Verin scene being awesome to the power awesome I really liked the last chapter.  The ceasing of conflict between the two 'halves' of Rand, the self realisation and the symbolism of his being/carrying the Light were very well done.  Especially banishing the clouds (or at least starting to) that had been plaguing the land all through the novel.

A small point, which I've kind of convinced myself of... I think Tuon (sorry, Fortuona  ;) ) is Ta'veren.  I remember RJ mentioning in an interview (or Q&A or some such) that there were female Ta'veren, that we'd seen one (I think) but it was a minor character.  Now, I ask you, in the face of Rand's Ultimate Ta'verenness, how else could Tuon have resisted him in A Halo of Blackness (Ch35)?  I also present, for the consideration of the panel, the few times she's mentioned Ta'veren being a myth. 

Meh, what the hell, everyone's allowed a looney theory, right?  8)

So, did anyone else notice that Rand was given a staff in this book?

Yes, I thought that was very subtly done.  Also, Tuon's passing thought:

How much had he fulfilled? He didn't seem blinded yet, so that had yet to happen...

On the three become one and burning sword thing, someone above raised the idea of it being Aviendha, Min and Elayne.

Since it's a reference to the use of Callandor that is unlikely, but here is something that occured to me--Min seems to be figuring out what Rand needs to do to imprison or kill the Dark One. So what if she succeeds, then Rand, Aviendha and Elayne, using Callandor, do it.

It would grant great meaning to their little core group.

Just had another thought...

Remember the part where Lews mentions to Rand they had to touch something to the Great Lord Dark One, that something was Saidin and that's how it was tainted.  Also how he (kind of) maintains that's what needs to happen - something has to be touched to the DO?

Remember the part where Rand channels the True Power?

Just saying . . . That's all . . .

The staff and beggar's cloak prophecy was fulfilled in this book when he exchanges his black cloak for the one at the Tinker camp he stays at, and he uses the staff to allow him to disguise his height.

And, of course, we learned that the blindness is actually a mental thing, unlike the loss of his hand. As the last lines of Veins of Gold say, Rand opened his eyes for the first time in a long time, essentially he could see again.

If this wasn't enough, the end tag beat us over the head with it.

On the three become one and burning sword thing, someone above raised the idea of it being Aviendha, Min and Elayne.

Since it's a reference to the use of Callandor that is unlikely, but here is something that occured to me--Min seems to be figuring out what Rand needs to do to imprison or kill the Dark One. So what if she succeeds, then Rand, Aviendha and Elayne, using Callandor, do it.

It would grant great meaning to their little core group.

This is what i thought. When i thought of three people linked, Elayne/Avi/Rand would make 3 for the channeling. However, it could just as easily be Nyn/Rand/Logain. (saidar/TP/Saidan). I love how the book has been out for less than 48 hours and we are already trying to figure out the next book. :)

Got it yesterday and read until 3 this morning.  I am gobsmacked.

Allowing for the excitement at reuniting with our favourite characters, I was hugely impressed with the book.  While I understand some of the (minor) dissatisfaction voiced in here about the voicing of some of the well-loved characters, I entered The Gathering Storm with the assumption that there would be minor differences in the dynamic of the book.  Yeah, I thought the characters were a little more verbose that previous, and that Mat was a little more manic and playing for laughs, that Verin was a little more gregarious (her big moment notwithstanding), but that didn't detract for mine.  I struggle to choose a single favourite scene as yet, that may come around the fourth or fifth re-read I'd think.  But wow!

The T'A'R conversation between Rand and Moridin... to me, it showed exactly why Elan Morin is Nae'blis.  He must've been quite an Aes Sedai in his Age.  His dedication to his chosen (no pun intended) cause is selfless (relative to his peers), and he is under no illusions as to the game and how it is to be played.  Serious badass, although he'll still be in Demandred's firing line, I'm sure.  Loooooved it.

Aviendha's scenes were among my faves thus far, although I've always carried a torch for her.  The playing-out of the whole toh thingy rang true with something that one of the Wise Ones said to her around the time she first went to Rhuidean about owning her pride (too lazy to find it to quote), and I thought that she read like the Avi of old.

Egwene really hit her stride, and I exulted every time we had her POV.  She seemed to explode into existence as the true Amyrlin, although it was a logical progression through KoD to the Eggy we see in tGS for mine.  The White Tower is whole for Tarmon Gaidon, let the world rejoice.

LTT's revelations on the Sealing weren't overtly informative, but it makes sense and gives plenty of scope for the remainder of the saga..  

Looking forward to re-reading tonight... and tomorrow night...

The staff and beggar's cloak prophecy was fulfilled in this book when he exchanges his black cloak for the one at the Tinker camp he stays at, and he uses the staff to allow him to disguise his height.

And, of course, we learned that the blindness is actually a mental thing, unlike the loss of his hand. As the last lines of Veins of Gold say, Rand opened his eyes for the first time in a long time, essentially he could see again.

If this wasn't enough, the end tag beat us over the head with it.

You know, I'm stupid enough not to have really noticed that.  Well done Sir.  Consider my hat truly doffed in your direction.     :o

Chapter 49: Just Another Man

Page 750:

Last night, he had traded his fine black coat to a Tinker for a common brown cloak, ragged on the bottom and stitched in places ... The tinker had also given him a walking staff, which Rand used as he walked, sloughing slightly...

Page 754:

Why have we come here? Rand thought.

Because, Rand replied. Because we made this. This is where we died.

He stood on the very point of Dragonmount, the lone peak that had erupted where Lews Therin had killed himself three thousand years before

Closing verse

Page 766:

At the end of time,

when the many become one,

the last storm shall gather its angry winds

to destroy a land already dying.

And at its center,

the blind man shall stand

upon his own grave.

There he shall see again,

and weep for what has been wrought.

I stayed up until 4 am this morning finishing it, every scene does something to advance the plot this time around.  Verin revealing herself was probably the scariest moment of the whole series.  Scarier than when Rand drags Tam through the woods with trollocs and fades chasing him in the first book.  The whole chapter, from the nonchalant admittance "I am Black Ajah after all" to the sad death of a hero really struck a chord in me as I've often pondered the scene in TGH when Verin lies to Moiraine about the Amyrlin sending her after the boys, and her very secretive schemes throughout the whole series.  I wonder if that was a part that RJ wrote?  There's not much else I can say that hasn't been said already.  Good job, Brandon, can't wait for ToM!!!

Someone mentioned Verin being a bit verbose.  I think that was in character. Keeping your mouth shut is what you do when you have secrets and want to keep them so you may continue manipulating the world.  She was getting ready to die.  She knew that she probably wouldn't get another opportunity to talk to Mat again.  Getting a bit chatty seems natural.

My fav scene: Nyn realizing that maybe BF an entire manor house to get a Forsaken was worth the damage.  I think I agree with those who doubt Rand actually got Graendel.  Even so, his plan was a good one and, given the amount of damage one of the Forsaken can cause, it was probably worth the cost.  It was nice to see Nyn in particular, but really any of the AS not condemn him out of hand for making the difficult choice.

Of course, if he'd been a bit less crazy & talked to Cad/Nyn/ANYONE maybe they could have come up with another plan and avoid using BF.  

Tied with that, Egwene's realization of how damaging Rand's torture must have been.  He has cause to be wary of AS.  I'm a bit disappointed in her that she had to be imprisoned twice before she figured it out.

Just had another thought...

Remember the part where Lews mentions to Rand they had to touch something to the Great Lord Dark One, that something was Saidin and that's how it was tainted.  Also how he (kind of) maintains that's what needs to happen - something has to be touched to the DO?

Remember the part where Rand channels the True Power?

Just saying . . . That's all . . .

I thought exactly the same thing.

Remember how he cleansed the taint? How he made evil fight against evil and that destroyed each other? Seems to me if you have to the -touch- the Dark One with something his own power would be idea. Its strength is derived from himself, seems like its going to make a nice cage with nothing to corrupt.

Jameric, to my mind, that would also dovetail nicely with Rand turning the power he was drawing through the Choedan Kal on itself and destroying it.

Someone mentioned Verin being a bit verbose.  I think that was in character. Keeping your mouth shut is what you do when you have secrets and want to keep them so you may continue manipulating the world.  She was getting ready to die.  She knew that she probably wouldn't get another opportunity to talk to Mat again.  Getting a bit chatty seems natural.

True.  Given that Verin had turned prattling into a Talent, I should only agree with you here.  That, and stepping outside the canon to make the observation that she had decided her course of action, and that would've lifted a weight from her as well

Of course, if he'd been a bit less crazy & talked to Cad/Nyn/ANYONE maybe they could have come up with another plan and avoid using BF.  

It seems that Rand is convinced that the time for deliveration is past, and there is little room or time for anything other than decisive action.  That, and he's crazy too.

Speaking as someone who strongly identifies with the Brown Ajah, that kind of badassery in the name of research is just awesome.

But really, I enjoyed most of the WT stuff. And I know there's complaints that Mat is a bit off, but I enjoyed his scenes. The bit where he's creating all the alias and elaborate disguises to sneak into the village made me laugh out loud.

Agreed, fully.  Mat's well done in my book, but that seen had me laughing out loud too.

As for Verin, I may be a Blue at heart, but she's officially the most bad-assed Aes Sedai of all time.  I think I have to mark that one down as my favorite, too.

Eh, Dhaell, it took me a really long time for it to click.

I was in my bathtub rereading the book after finishing it, and I nearly dropped it into the water when I realized:

"YES! This means I don't have to listen to any asinine theories about how Rand's going to walk around the world begging and he's not losing his sight, thank GOD!"

There's already way too many Dune homages in this series for Rand to do the final jump to Paul Atreides.

I think I would throw away my books in disgust if he goes blind and walks into Arrak...oops I meant the Waste.

Phaw!

Everyone said the Verin scene and I have to agree... as nerdy as it sounds it felt almost Snapeish.

But by far my favourite was Rand channelling the TP and almost losing his mind... Semirage getting balefired was a nice aftertouch... actually pretty much anytime rand balefired the crap out of something I got stoked.

I was a little disappointed with the ending to the Rand PoV.  His conversion back to sanity seemed way too easy and his reasoning seemed a little unrealistic.  I was beginning to get used to the psyco kill 'em all Rand.

Their were a couple things that didn't happen that irked me though... very few Perrin scenes and yet we find out indirectly he has already met Galad... only one forsaken scene and no confirmation on Graedal's death (there's no way she was in that castle).

And while I'm still ranting the Rand/Moridin dream scene was good.  We finally see the DO's true colours and the reasons why Ishy/Moridin is always so cocky.  They begin to talk a little more of the metaphysical battles were going to see in the future.

It's so hard to pick favourites!  But go Egwene.

Well, I've only posted a few other times, but I've been keeping up for a while.  I've read WoT since I was in 8th grade(1994), and there is no other series that is as awe inspiring to me as The Wheel of Time.  In The Gathering Storm, I cannot pick one standout scene.  So many things I've been waiting for transpired in this book, I feel it is impossible to pick one scene, but I'll try.  Many of you love Verin's big scene; and I agree, the scene is powerful.  I, however, feel "The One He Lost" or Chapter 47 is one of the most important scenes of the book.  This chapter made me cry. 

But, yeah, AMAZING!  I took every chance I could to read the book at work today.  Thank God I'm a band director and had a lot of time.  The students thought I was crazy!!!!!  I LOVE good books, and Jordan is my favorite author.  Wow.  Wow.  Just wow.  I can't wait for the next two books to be published. 

Well, I've only posted a few other times, but I've been keeping up for a while.  I've read WoT since I was in 8th grade(1994), and there is no other series that is as awe inspiring to me as The Wheel of Time.  In The Gathering Storm, I cannot pick one standout scene.  So many things I've been waiting for transpired in this book, I feel it is impossible to pick one scene, but I'll try.  Many of you love Verin's big scene; and I agree, the scene is powerful.  I, however, feel "The One He Lost" or Chapter 47 is one of the most important scenes of the book.  This chapter made me cry. 

But, yeah, AMAZING!  I took every chance I could to read the book at work today.  Thank God I'm a band director and had a lot of time.  The students thought I was crazy!!!!!  I LOVE good books, and Jordan is my favorite author.  Wow.  Wow.  Just wow.  I can't wait for the next two books to be published. 

I knew, as soon as I saw Tam, that Rand was either going to nearly kill him or give his Dad a hug and start to cry. I'm glad that it played out the way it did, though because I think he will now do the latter when Moiraine stages her Corenne from Finnland.

Archived