DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

"Many of the Aes Sedai she passed in the camp  gave her looks of respect, awe, and a little horror. After a long absence, the Amyrlin had returned. And she had brought destruction and judgment in her wake."

chilling.

I also liked Lews Therin comments about Weiramin.

"I like him . Lews Therin thought.

Rand started. You don't like anyone!

He's honest, Lews Therin replied, then laughed. More than I am, for certain! A man doesn't choose to be an idiot, but he does choose to be loyal. We could do much worse than have this man as a follower."

I'll miss Lews Therin  :'(

and the speech to Nyn when about having to climb a mountain knowing that he won't climb down again.

It's quite long, so I'll just post what I think is the most touching line of the scene

I don't need to hold back, don't need to salvage anything of this beaten up soul of mine. I know that I must die.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK no one critise me for this I'm just trying to be honest, but I have to say that this novel was one big refresher from the monotony of Robert Jordans writing, don't hurt me, RJ was one of my ultimate favorite writers I love how engrossing and detailed his writing is.... But honestly my biggest thought through the whole thing was a lot of 'FINALLY' Brandon made a lot of things happen that it seems we've been waiting an eternity for! I have to say that it was more gripping then the others books I've read. I actually have a friend who used to be as into the books as me but has now given them up because he simply can no longer stand the boring detail of Jordans writing,I've told him that Brandons is good but he simply hasn't been able to get himself into them again.

I'm so happy, because I've never been that intrested in reading Egwane's POV ever since she became Armylin and I never have been before that intrested in the Forsakens doings, but this is the first time in a long time I've read something about Egwane and actually been intrested!

As for favorite scenes I'd have to say the part where Rand meets his dad, I've waited on this reunion for a long time, but it didn't exactly go down the way I had hoped, and then the end, I was so happy that Rand had come to his senses I nearly cried! Not to mention Matt! I found his charchter a huge comedy relife from the seriousness going on around him. I thought he was portrayed diffrently but brilliantly and insanly funny! I was slightly dissapointed however that we didn't hear much from Perrin, and heard nothing from Elayne whatsoever. But at the same time I was extreamly impressed with it over all. :)

• 1 month later...

and the speech to Nyn when about having to climb a mountain knowing that he won't climb down again.

Yeah, that scene was probably my favorite as well.  Finally one of the high-and-mighty girls who's been looking down her nose at Rand the whole time finally gets a glimpse of his mentality, that he knows the prophecies have destined him to die to save the world, a world that will hate him for it every step of the way, and that he's well aware that being as hard as he is will destroy him but that it doesn't matter because he knows he'll die anyway.  I've been waiting for that sort of "F you and your woolhead cliche" thing for a long time, and I can only wish that Cadsuane had somehow been listening in to hear it to realize just how much she had contributed to Rand getting that bad.

To be fair, their point wasn't that if he'd like to have a life afterwards, he'd better not become so gloomy. Cadsuane doesn't care for him much beyond TG. The point was, if he'd reach TG that way, his victory would be as dark as his defeat. We saw as much in Veins of Gold. If you lose the thing that motivates you to win, you might as well forfeit. Rand can't beat the DO while apathetic to the beauty of life.

Nynaeve does care for Rand himself, but she also sees the bigger picture - that losing hope won't get him where he wants to go (he can't reach that 'mountaintop' that way, to use his metaphor).

To be fair, their point wasn't that if he'd like to have a life afterwards, he'd better not become so gloomy. Cadsuane doesn't care for him much beyond TG. The point was, if he'd reach TG that way, his victory would be as dark as his defeat. We saw as much in Veins of Gold. If you lose the thing that motivates you to win, you might as well forfeit. Rand can't beat the DO while apathetic to the beauty of life.

Nynaeve does care for Rand himself, but she also sees the bigger picture - that losing hope won't get him where he wants to go (he can't reach that 'mountaintop' that way, to use his metaphor).

You and I and all the readers know this, and to a lesser extent, Cadsuane and many of the other channelers around Rand know it, but Rand doesn't.  As I said, it was the scene where he finally gave his perspective  on the way of things to one of the people who had spent the past 11 books deciding that they knew what was best for him, that he was the way he was not because he was just a "stubborn woolhead", but because he expected to die and there was nothing that could be done about it.  They may see the bigger picture, but none of them saw things from his perspective, and I think the way he put it really drove the point home to Nynaeve.

I was commenting on the 'finaly, Rand sticks it to them' sensation that that scene seems to have inspired in some readers (I take your use of the 'F' word to say you did experience a bit of that). Me, I felt more like Nynaeve did at the end of it, sad for Rand and the state he's gotten himself into.

I'll mention two scenes that I enjoyed. The first is when Aviendha tries to fade into the background while doing chores, and Min keeps reminding her of what she's doing (seriously, Min should get a clue about Aiel mannerisms). The second, Egwene peeling nuts for some Sitters, and then berating them for what they did (or rather, didn't do) recently.

• 3 months later...

One of my personal faves has always been near the end of The Great Hunt. It has the five who rode forth in Turak's audience room being told basically they have no chance and to surrender. One of the guards reaches for Mat and gets slashed by the ruby tip dagger and proceeds to die the slow,agonizing, screaming, turning black death we all love with everyone looking on in horror when Ingtar breaks the silence by saying, "You see.....we are no easy meat!"

"I have seen balefire destroy cities. I have seen thousands burned from the Pattern by their purifying flames. If you call me a child, Cadsuane, then what are those of you who are thousands of years my juniors?"

Go Rand! Even if you are kinda insane...

+1

Ive gotta say I think Veins of Gold was my favorite Rand moment in the entire series because I think he came out of that scene as a more timeless, immortal-minded person than anyone in the entire series, including Ishamael.

Although anything-ANYTHING-that came out of Rands mouth in TGS automaticlly qualifies as one of my favorite moments.

NYNAEVE: Oh Rand, this hardness will kill you.

RAND: Yes. (the coldness of it...)

NYNAEVE: !?!?

RAND: I fail to understand why all of you assume I fail to see something so obvious. (Hi, my name is Ishamael...) Yes Nynaeve, this hardness will kill me.

Ive gotta say I think Veins of Gold was my favorite Rand moment in the entire series because I think he came out of that scene as a more timeless, immortal-minded person than anyone in the entire series, including Ishamael.

Although anything-ANYTHING-that came out of Rands mouth in TGS automaticlly qualifies as one of my favorite moments.

NYNAEVE: Oh Rand, this hardness will kill you.

RAND: Yes. (the coldness of it...)

NYNAEVE: !?!?

RAND: I fail to understand why all of you assume I fail to see something so obvious. (Hi, my name is Ishamael...) Yes Nynaeve, this hardness will kill me.

rand: but who says I have to live. A tool destroyed doing its job did its job well, and is not to be lamented over

Archived