DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

In so many ways the meeting between Rand & Co and Tuon was a missed opportunity.  The participants were very much in character, being all cagey as Kat said, keeping their cards close to their chest so to speak.  But for crying out loud, TG is coming.  If that's not a reason to bury the hatchet, what is?

Does anything think that Tuon being upset at Mat was a ploy to use as leverage over Rand or is she really mad at Mat for kidnapping her?  I thought she had a grand adventure with Mat, and didn't think she would be mad.  I mean, sure, being kidnaped is not like a walk in the park, but I thought the experience she had with Mat made up for it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the assault on the WT?  I thought it was a great scene in many respects, but I didn't feel it really was congruent with Egwene's dream of the two ravens flying into the tower, shaking off some drops of oil that burned on the way down, then flying off.  I thought Mat and Tuon would be the two Ravens, and straighten out the tower split before heading up to Tarwin's Gap for TG.  I know the majority of the board discussion predicted an assault similar to what happened, but it seems different than Egwene's dream. 

Suffa, your name is Suffa now.

For some reason, the WT assault actually freaked me right the hell out. I almost skipped forward to the end of it to see how it all went, I was so tense.

And the scene with Tam almost made me cry.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite quote was the last thing Mat said to the Mayor of Hinderstap, "Have a good day, then, and when night comes, try not to kill anyone I wouldn't kill."

Another of my favorite scenes is when Talmanes, Mat and Thom go to help the Aes Sedai out when the villagers attack and Joline accidentally throws a fireball at them. Talmanes ends up staring at her because she's only wearing an open bathrobe and he hays "Burn me" and Mat basically says "She just tried to."

Oh man, finally finished the book tonight. What a ride. Loved the book. Favorite chapter or scene? That's tough cause there were SOOOOOOOOO many great scenes and chapters. I loved almost everyone after about chapter 10. Ones that stand out while I sit here with the book in the other room: The opening excerpt, Rodel Ituralde talking to the dying Seanchan general in Chapter 6, Rodel's meeting with Rand, Egwene standing up to Elaida at her dinner, all of Chapter 22, and Chapter 23, Nynaeve and Rand questioning Graendal's boy, Rand balefiring Graendal's palace back to the First Age  ;D, Tuon's meeting with Rand, Hinderstap, Perrin finally meeting with Hopper again, Rand's talk with Tam, Tam's talk with Cadsuane, Rand's meeting with Hurin, Verin's visit to Egwene, Egwene killing all of the Seanchan, Gawyn fighting Gareth's men and then finding out about Rand not killing his mom and Elayne's rise to the throne, Egwene being raised Amyrlin and then scolding the Hall, the Ajah heads realizing how wrong they were, Elaida's capture, Tuon sending out the raken, Tylee bringing Tuon the Trolloc heads, Rand destroying the Choedan Kal, Faile killing Masema, Rand as the beggar in Ebou Dar, Rand's meeting with Moridin, Rand realizing why he fights, Lews Therin leaving ( :o), Egwene seeing the clouds part over Dragonmount, and the final Seanchan Prophecy.

Scene I liked the least: The answer to Min's viewing of why Siuan and Gareth had to stay together. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. :P

Oh I also really really really really loved watching Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson nail the coffin shut on the "body swap" theory.  ;D

Luckers thinks it's more likely after TGS.

I think that possibility has become bigger now. Rand now is capable to enter Moridin's dreams and can channel the True Power through Moridin. I'm not saying that theory is true, but it sure seems to go that way.

Tam giving Cadsuane a much needed verbal bitch-slap.

Agreed! I never much liked Cadsuane's character. Then the scene that she spanks Semi had me thinking "ok, she's really good... but somebody's gotta knock her down a peg still" and then Tam did it. Of all people. I loved that. Her scenes in this book were her best scenes yet.

The Veins of Gold - simply answers the whole idea of the books. RJ many times spoke about the wheel and the repetition of the world and how time is non-linear but he never answered question as to what was the point. He also mentioned many times that such time structure kind of goes against the progress of human kind (after all, what progress is everything is limited to the turn of the wheel). For a while I thought the wheel will be broken and the serpent will be killed so to escape the cycle, but it seems I was wrong. It seems that the love and second chance are the answers to the big question. 

I think one of my Favorite quotes was Rand

"How do you fight someone smarter than yourself? The answer is simple. You make her think that you are sitting down across the table from her, ready to play her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can" i cracked up at that.

I loved LTT's realization that Ilayna could be spun out in the wheel again.

I thought after Rand turned so hard, that it was going to be the birth of his kids from Elayne that was going to make him human again, but this realization was suprisingly good.

Though I'm still gonna have to say anything regarding Piglets, is still near the top of my list

Still the quote that always gets me a little teary eyed everytime i read the series is in book 1 from Hopper " To Soar"

The Veins of Gold - simply answers the whole idea of the books. RJ many times spoke about the wheel and the repetition of the world and how time is non-linear but he never answered question as to what was the point. He also mentioned many times that such time structure kind of goes against the progress of human kind (after all, what progress is everything is limited to the turn of the wheel). For a while I thought the wheel will be broken and the serpent will be killed so to escape the cycle, but it seems I was wrong. It seems that the love and second chance are the answers to the big question. 

Tam giving Cadsuane a much needed verbal bitch-slap.

Agreed! I never much liked Cadsuane's character. Then the scene that she spanks Semi had me thinking "ok, she's really good... but somebody's gotta knock her down a peg still" and then Tam did it. Of all people. I loved that. Her scenes in this book were her best scenes yet.

Oh yes, definitely one of my favourite scenes in the series. I was glad that Tam had as much righteous rage after the Rand incident, too. Also, i wish Nyn had just STFU in that scene.

Also, I can't wait till Matt blows the horn and Verin comes out and start bothering him. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

Definitely the chapter with Verin was my favourite.  All the black Ajah infiltrating the White Tower, I never thought that one would infiltrate the black Ajah and sacrifice herself to tell what she did!!  How awesome was that?  It gave me goosebumps and nearly brought me to tears.

Woahhhh the book is awesome when i finished it, I felt breathless. I laughed, it gave me chills and even brought tears to my eyes it was overall an awesome experience. Most deff one of the best books I've ever read. Favorite scenes... Well all the mat vs talmanes banter was awesome, and of course mandevwin and his great aunt... Btw i agree mat is dif but quite frankly i like him better like this, he's funnier. Well the scenes that gave me chills were when cadsuane gets to rand after the whole semirhage/domination band scene and he exiles her i just thought "DAMN!!! he's truly awesome"...Quite frankly the AS always trying to control him is annoying. Btw am i the only one who thinks that balefiring semirhage right away was kinda "merciful" in the sense that he didn't tortured her... I mean perhaps being balefired hurts but i just felt like in order for him to truly snap he should have made her suffer. I had tears in my eyes in verin's scene, it was amazing. And of course veins of gold. I realize that BS had to "segment" the story in order to  present "results" in this book but i just feel that it screws the whole time line the fact that he just focuses on certain POV's and then he will have to "go back" in ToM to explain all the other's PoV's for example perrin meeting with galad and finding out that maighdin is actually morgase etc... and rand seeing mat in caemlyn.... I can't wait 'till next year i want ToM now  :'(

I always loved Verin's character, because she ALWAYS seemed to be a wildcard. You just couldn't put your finger on her.

I could never justify a reasoning in my mind for why she would put compulsion on sisters if she was in fact good. Now it makes sense because those women were baddies.

It really brought home exactly what Verin was thinking when she slipped the vial back away just before she put it in Cadsuane's drink. A BA should not be that close to Rand. She was willing to expose herself for that reason.

I did love the closure in Veins of Gold, but why destroy the CK? I can't buy the whole "its too tempting a weapon" argument. A tool is a tool, however you use it. The importance of Callandor has yet to be completely revealed. Perhaps the flaw itself is the buffer Rand needs, with two women, to wield it against the DO.

I also think it is epic in the chapter where it is revealed exactly where the new sword he carries came from. Perhaps that is the sword of light and not Callandor. What can be more light than Justice! Perhaps that's a stretch.

Favorite scenes... Well all the mat vs talmanes banter was awesome, and of course mandevwin and his great aunt... Btw i agree mat is dif but quite frankly i like him better like this, he's funnier.

I couldn't help but cringe when I read that. Mat doesn't sit up at night writing screenplays...

Favorite scene was before Rand got collared when him and Moridin just sat down and talked. I think it was really cool

Man oh man do I agree. Moridin/Ish does not fit the regular mold of the rest of the forsaken as pointed out by Verin. He is either extremely in tune with the DO, or he is a double agent. I have yet to make up my mind. Bear in mind why he went to the shadow in the first place. Everybody else had a base reason.

I also think the scene with Moridin playing with the kingfisher in the last book was as revealing as this latest installment was of him.

Archived