DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

Honestly, it doesnt matter that much really aslong as it dont go to far. But that kind of humor doesnt really feel like Wheel of Time. I dont mind it that much, but i hope we will get abit more old Mat instead of that, to modern geek humour:P Again i found it entertaining, but while i read it i got abit frustrated that that just wasnt Mat.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two minutes ago, I read the so far most awesome scene in the book. Perhaps all of the series. What happened? Cadsuane spanked Semirhage.

Cadsuane...

and she spanked SEMIRHAGE!!

I had to refrain myself from screaming "YEAH! Take that b*tch!".  ;D

I think no matter what, the best scene has to be Veins of Gold. It was such a hugely important resolution of a huge plot arc. It was well written and contained several important events. Verin/Egwene was hugely important, but just not as important as Rand's revelation.

"Rand smiled. Finally, he let out a deep throated laugh, true and pure. It had been far to long."

What a meaningful sentence for this series. How long has it been since Rand has laughed "true and pure"? TEoTW? Rand has of course laughed at times throughout the series, however those times usually had a hint of bitterness attached to them. Even when he would laugh for other reasons it seemed as if it wasn't something he truly felt. Even in TGH everything is always overshadowed by his horror about being able to channel. The only thing i kind of wish was that we had gotten to see him reconcile with Min, Tam, and Nynaeve. Now we have to wait awhile. :( He has a lot of apologizing to do, haha.

Somebody made the comment before i could about Rands method of fighting being similar to that of Mordeth and Aridhol. Da*n you! haha, j/k.

It wasn't really that surprising how insane Rand becomes. Semirhage's statement about the descent into terminal madness being abrupt was key. She knew just the buttons to push to bring it out in him as well. Rand's character was dominated by Lews Therin's insanity bleeding into him. It was so hard to read the Tam chapter, I just kept thinking "please just hug him and call him your father for crying out loud. Poor Rand". The amazing thing is that BS did a fantastic job of making you horrified about how Rand is acting, but also sympathetic at the same time. You can understand why he became the way he did.

In Ch 22, When Rand talks about how he needs to dial back the craziness the moment Semi snaps the collar on his neck. Great timing Semi. Did you plan that? Jeez.

As far as Perrin, there is no way his POV meeting with Galad will be missing from the book. Remember who is with the Whitecloaks? Byar and Bornhald. That is not going to be an easy reunion. haha. Anybody else hope that Perrin finally learns it was Fain that killed his family? I certainly do.

Verin Sedai will now answer the call of the Horn of Valere. Wow. Great scene. Then to be followed up by Egwene kicking the crap outta the Seanchan to protect the Novices and the tower. Wow again. Could NOT put the book down for the last 1/3. Cant wait till Book 13.

My favorite scenes were any dealing with Mat, and any dealing with Egwene.  I was constantly badgering my husband to skip or skim through the rest of the book, since we read it out loud together.

The most awesome part was when we sat and deliberated on what could possibly be in the letter Verrin gave to Mat.  We came to the conclusion that Verrin manipulated Mat expertly, as she seems to do with everyone, making sure he would open the letter.  A shove at this point would have simply made him set the letter down and never look at it again.  What we came up with was simple, and most likely blindingly obvious.  Verrin Sedai was the only person alive who knew where the Horn of Valere is, and she most likely gave Mat the location in that letter.

What we came up with was simple, and most likely blindingly obvious.  Verrin Sedai was the only person alive who knew where the Horn of Valere is, and she most likely gave Mat the location in that letter.

d'oh !

ive been wondering how mat was going to get the horn, and ive been wondering what was in the letter. damn i feel like an idiot as you said its so blindingly obvious man i feel dumb :P

last we knew the horn was in the white tower, do you think verin has put it in a new location or do you think mat will need to retreive it from the WT?

last we knew the horn was in the white tower, do you think verin has put it in a new location or do you think mat will need to retreive it from the WT?

In TDR , p. 119, Verin asks Siuan what they will do with the horn.  Siuan says, "For the moment we will find some place to hide this where no one but we two know.  I will consider what to do after that."  The next place Verin is seen is the Two Rivers, and nothing else is said about it before Siuan is stilled and flees the tower.  I think Verin took the horn, and placed it somewhere between Tar Valon and the Two Rivers, if not in the Two Rivers.

In TDR , p. 119, Verin asks Siuan what they will do with the horn.  Siuan says, "For the moment we will find some place to hide this where no one but we two know.  I will consider what to do after that."  The next place Verin is seen is the Two Rivers, and nothing else is said about it before Siuan is stilled and flees the tower.  I think Verin took the horn, and placed it somewhere between Tar Valon and the Two Rivers, if not in the Two Rivers.

hmmm very possible, but Verin had Alanna with her at the time, it could be buried at the sick house they were hiding in, never know with RJ lol

I honestly doubt Mat is going to run off for the horn before he saves Moiraine.  Rand needs her right now, so she should be coming back fairly soon.  Verin did need to leave the letter with him now, though, as she knew she would most likely be dying.  It's also why she didn't want him to open it until it was a sure thing she was gone!  Wouldn't want the secret slipping out if she was still around to give it when it was needed and not before, after all!

I'm sure you are right...but didn't you feel like there was a little bit of foot dragging? Thom is over there pouting and Mat is all; Yeah, yeah, we'll get to her, we'll get to her.

Lol, or maybe that is just me thinking; NO!!! SHE'S TRAPPED!! WHO KNOWS WHAT'S HAPPENING TO HER!!! GO NOW!!! :p

I'm sure you are right...but didn't you feel like there was a little bit of foot dragging? Thom is over there pouting and Mat is all; Yeah, yeah, we'll get to her, we'll get to her.

Lol, or maybe that is just me thinking; NO!!! SHE'S TRAPPED!! WHO KNOWS WHAT'S HAPPENING TO HER!!! GO NOW!!! :p

Yes, but I feel a lot of him refusing to go get her now was because he -had- to meet Verin before she ran off to die.  The pattern would not allow him to lose the Horn of Valere, and so it pushed him on through this little mountain path toward where it left Verin.

The entire book was cover to cover action and adventure.  At least two lines are more or less tied up for the time being. (Egwene's and Rand's)  I feel next book we'll get more from Mat and Perin.  IE Perin cutting out the cry fest he's been having these last few books, and Mat going to rescue Moiraine!

the chapter that stuck out most in my mind was when Rand and Moridin had their chat.  It was cool to have them sit next to each other and just have a chat like they were 2 old friends hanging out by the fire. 

Wasn't shocked Verin was black ajah, but was shocked about her reasoning and helping the light.  always was mysterious.  Anybody else wonder who wrote that message and put it in Verin's poridge?  Sounds like somebody else knew...

Loved the final Egwene scenes.  glad to see he not only beat the crap out of the seanchan but also to see her takeover the rebels and start the slaughter of all Black Ajah inside and out of tower.

Loved the scene where Rand's only way of escaping was using the TP.  Wonder if that wasn't the actual plan...

Overall loved the book and good to see things moving along.  Would've liked to see Rand do some serious damage to the Seanchan using the CK.  Would've liked to not see the CK destroyed!  Wonder if something else would be in the works...

I haven't read the entire post, so not sure if this one has been mentioned or not. After Tam knocks Cadsuane down a notch, Min comes out with:

"This is what we all get for assuming we can make him do what we want."

This is the first time I can recall this sentiment being voiced openly.

I was most impressed by Semi vs Rand but my favorite was Veins of Gold because I'm a softy.  As for Mat, he did feel a bit off but I didn't mind too much.  The humor in his scenes wasn't the same as in the previous books imo.  Mat has always been more of a guy for one or two liners than going on and on about mules and women and dice and aged aunts, which is why I lol'd at his reaction to Vanin addressing Joline.

I was really surprised with myself during this book. I've never liked Egwene much at all since she first went to the Tower, but some of her scenes were actually my favorites during the book. I don't know why, but I thought her defending the Tower while linked to the Novices was just...well, pretty awesome. It didn't quite have the emotional impact as Veins of Gold or even Rand's meeting with Tam, but it was nice.

Speaking as someone who strongly identifies with the Brown Ajah, that kind of badassery in the name of research is just awesome.

But really, I enjoyed most of the WT stuff. And I know there's complaints that Mat is a bit off, but I enjoyed his scenes. The bit where he's creating all the alias and elaborate disguises to sneak into the village made me laugh out loud.

Ha, Mat still made me laugh out loud, even though I am one who thinks his character was a little off. But the bit I found funniest was the opening chapter of his, where he's moaning about women.

That was possibly the best encapsulation of his ideas that Brandon Sanderson could've come up with.

And hilarious, too.

I haven't read the entire post, so not sure if this one has been mentioned or not. After Tam knocks Cadsuane down a notch, Min comes out with:

I nearly shouted: "You might have told them earlier!"

My favourites were Verins confession and Egwene's fight against the Seanchan.

I nearly shouted: "You might have told them earlier!"

My favourites were Verins confession and Egwene's fight against the Seanchan.

There are so many good scenes to choose from, and Egwene launching an all-out offensive against the Seanchan is one. Rand channeling the True Power and balefiring Semirhage is another.

My favourite moment, though, would have to be the very last one in the book - the image of Dragonmount surrounded by black storm clouds, with Rand (whom we know is standing at the top) being bathed in the gold of the sun.

Anybody else slightly disappointed with what Egwene did while with the Sa'angreal? I mean yeah she did some cool stuff, but I guess I'm just so used to Rand doing some really sick stuff to people while channeling, that i kind of felt let down. I was sorta hoping she could do something what like Rand did with Shadowspawn in Tear, but instead kill all the to'raken.

Archived