DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that falls under the heading of "things the Deathwatch Guard and her Truthspeaker will chain her up in her room to prevent, even if it means she needs a new set of Deathwatch Guards"

Why would they do that? I'm not suggesting she'd do it personally but she could send a couple suldam/demane and said deathwatch through a gateway to the Imperial Palace and take the Crystal throne back to Ebou Dar. She has already resigned the fact that she cannot go back to Seanchan yet, she needs to focus on Randland and Ebou Dar is her seat of power. Why not bring the Crystal Throne, that which truly makes the Empress the power she is, back?

Because, my dear rich, Seandar is apparently a complete disaster zone.

The Crystal Throne might not even *exist* anymore.

They launched an attack on the White Tower.. something completely ill advised.. I think they could send a group into the Royal Palace. Its not like she'd have to go herself. Where is the issue?

Ah, yes, I should have acknowledged that the Seanchan leadership has shown itself little more competent than pretty much anyone else; namely, completely flaming stupid.  :P

^ Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. The Seanchan made a lot of big mistakes in their campaign - Tar Valon simply being the most recent.

I just think that Tuon being Empress necessitates the Crystal Throne. A big part of her power is the property of the Crystal throne itself. It also fits the prophecy. It also fits with RJ saying we won't return to Seanchan. It also is allowed because they now know traveling.

I just suggested its possible and something Tuon would probably want to secure her rule further (since she's got a tenuous hold at best currently).

We'll see!

Oh, no, that wasn't sarcasm.

The one thing I try never to be surprised by is the stupidity of blindingly arrogant authority figures and their ability to muck everything up at the drop of a tiny blue leprechuan hat.

About Rand channeling the TP..

How do you know it was the TP? obviously it wasnt sadin or saidar, but theres nothing to specifically point to the dark one i dont think. could it be rand channeled the equivalent for the creator?

I think its unlikely, given how fricken eeevil rand got toward the end there, but its something to keep in mind. WOT likes throwing curveballs at you, you never know.

Also, Egwene is awesome. I think thats agreed up and down.

And i like BS, his humor is just my style. and his white tower handling was spectacular.

Chapter 22/23, Veins of Gold, Rand/Tam meeting, Nynaeve, and all the Tuon parts were my favorites.

About Rand channeling the TP..

How do you know it was the TP? obviously it wasnt sadin or saidar, but theres nothing to specifically point to the dark one i dont think. could it be rand channeled the equivalent for the creator?

I think its unlikely, given how fricken eeevil rand got toward the end there, but its something to keep in mind. WOT likes throwing curveballs at you, you never know.

We know it's the True Power because of three things:

1. Rand saw a blurry man's face before he used it (everytime he sees a blurry man's face it's Moridin)

2. Semirhage said it was the True Power and that the Great Lord betrayed her

3. Lews Therin said that they were damned for using this power and that the power came from "HIM"

They will gain it immediately. The first thing she'll ask the captured Aes Sedai is about the super weapon Elayne accidentally used (they won't get anything from that line of questioning) and about gateways. Tuon has seen how important gateways are. That was a principal reason for attacking the Aes Sedai. We can assume that Seanchan now have traveling.

Yeah that will probably be the first thing they ask, but Elaida may not necessarily give the info up straight away, it really depends how much time passes between the end of TGS till the start of TOM probably 0 since its essentially part 1 and 2 of 3, and whether or not they tame her quickly, because i personally don't expect the Seanchan to be using travelling the next book, well at least not until the last half (mainly because i believe that the start of TOM will include bits and pieces that were off screen, Perrin's meeting with Galad for example)

Where to start? I have to say Verin's scene with Egwene was not expected but was great. I also like Rand using the courtier as a way to confirm he got Graendal. Mat was a little off but I think part of it is that's he's worried about Tuon. I will admit I was not Egwene's biggest fan but loved her when she got the angreal and started blasting away. I think Rand's redemption was excellent as well. All in all I haave to say this book was worth waiting for. I am looking forward to the next two and felt the same way I have at the end of every book since Crown of Swords (can't wait to get the next book).

I read the book so fast that some of the chapters have blurred some.  All Rand/Egwene chapters were really, really good though. 

I did however feel that Mat, and the characters in his chapters all slightly missed the mark.  Including Verin and Thom.  Now that could be that I'd read reviews before hand, or that the rest of the book was darker, much darker. 

I thought however he really hit mark with Rand,  and left me feeling that the dark one came ever so close to winning. So Viens of gold for me was the pivotal chapter in the series. Looking forward to the next 2 books for sure now.

Woo! This is my first time posting, even though I have been loitering around DM for years now off and on. :p

The most disappointing thing for me was not getting to read the Morgase reveal. Tam mentions "the queen" casually while talking to Rand and I am like..."WHAT?!" I have been waiting for them to find out!

Otherwise, Moiraine was mentioned/thought of by just about everyone in this book, and I knew she wouldn't get rescued at the end so it drove me crazy!!!! Not necessarily crazy as in dislike, but crazy as in....Oh my god, I cannot wait a year for this. ;) Even Nynaeve wished she was there!

Cadsuane, whether right or not, makes me want to rip the hair from my head. Somebody poke her with a sharp stick already! I hope Moiraine gives it to her.

Overall, this book was FANTASTIC!

Veins of Gold, as nearly everyone has said, was amazing. Verin, amazing.

I love Silviana. I loved Egwene riding out that day in the crimson dress with the ribbons in her hair. You go girl! She kicks ass. ;)

Someone also mentioned food seeming to spoil faster around Rand now, which totally made sense to me, I mean, he already causes strange things to happen, although there is usually a balance...but now he has this nasty black halo around him. If his crazy bursting of the choden kal and "new sight" at the end can made the clouds dissapate, makes sense that walking around with the dark halo could have the opposite affect? Just a thought. ;)

Btw, you guys rock! I have been reading this series for 15 years now...this was my fourth re-read of the series...I still can't remember half of the details some of you all retain. Very nice.

^ Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. The Seanchan made a lot of big mistakes in their campaign - Tar Valon simply being the most recent.

What is this WT attack is a mistake?! If only the one raken with Elaida was returned, with her sul'dam, with the raken dying on landing, the sul'dam just having time to unclip the a'dam from her wrist before saying 'She can Travel' and then keel over, it'd still be a MAJOR success for the Seanchan.

And they likely have returned with as many new Damane as they lost and made the Aes Sedai paranoid. Egwene did the best she could under the circumstances, but really, big picture wise she's like a kid throwing a rock at a car full of crooks that has just kidnapped a family member. That window you broke as they drive off is hardly compensation.

Now the Tower is re-united hopefully ToM sees Egwene go on the front foot against the Seanchan inflicting casualties on them, using Gateways and Bryne's forces. It'd be ironic - no scrap that, downright hilarious if Egwene's actions drove Tuon to ally with Rand and he knows her anger as part of it is no more Aes Sedai attacks on the Seanchan. I don't expect it to turn out anything like that, but ToM would likely be my favourite book in the series if it turned out anything like that.  ;D

Knowing what I know now about Verin, re-reading the books is going to be very, very odd!

Also, why on earth are Perrin and Galad together?  That really piqued my interest.  I've not normally been too interested in these too, except when Galad battled the former Whitecloak leader.  And I always see Galad as Brad Pitt.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I love Jordan books and this is as good as the previous ones.

I red all of your posts and I agree with most of you that the Egwene and Verin meeting is one of the best chapter in the book.

I just want to share 2 of my favorite dialogues from the egwene storyline because they cracked me up:

"Are you Black Ajah, Sheriam?"

"What? Of course not!"

"do you consort with the Forsaken?"

"No!"  Sheriam said, glancing on the sides.

"Do you serve the Dark One?"

"No!"

"Have you been released from your Oaths?"

"No!"

"Do you have red hair?"

"Of course not, I never__" She froze. (I just laughed hard)

The second one is related to the first when a few chapter after Silviana asks Egwene:

"Mother," Silviana said qietly as they walked, "I can only assume that you had a keeper already , among the rebels. Do you intend to maintain two of us?"

Her tense voice revealed what she thought of such an unconventional arrangement.

"No," Egwene said. "My previous keeper was executed for being of the Black Ajah."

Silviana paled. "I see"

Who is the bad ass now ????

The most disappointing thing for me was not getting to read the Morgase reveal. Tam mentions "the queen" casually while talking to Rand and I am like..."WHAT?!" I have been waiting for them to find out!

Wow. That line flew right over my head and I've been one who wanted anxiously to see Morgase revealed as Morgase. Hopefully that scene is elaborated on in TOM. I'd like to see it as well!

Knowing what I know now about Verin, re-reading the books is going to be very, very odd!

Also, why on earth are Perrin and Galad together?  That really piqued my interest.  I've not normally been too interested in these too, except when Galad battled the former Whitecloak leader.  And I always see Galad as Brad Pitt.

The direction Perrin's lot were heading after Malden and the direction Galad and his Whitecloaks were heading were, basically, on an intercept path.  

Incidentally, am I the only one who thought Gawyn was actually okay in this book?    ???

I just spent 7.5 hours reading TGS in Borders, Singapore.  It just came out in Singapore today!!

I started laughing uncontrollably when Cadsuane simply upturned Semirhage and spanked her like a naughty child.

I cheered when Egwene finally stood up to Elayda in front of the sitters

I cursed horribly when Rand exiled Cadsuane.

I smiled when Egwene was released and defied Katerine

I blinked when Verin revealed she was BA to Egwene

I cried when Verin sacrificed herself to save the White Tower from the Shadow

I cried harder when Egwene named Verin's soul to be pure white

I was numb when Sheriam, Moria, Dagdara and others were named.  I would NEVER have suspected Moria or Dagdara.

I cheered when Egwene lead the offensive against the Seanchen

I looked in awe and a bit of regret when Egwene set about ridding the BA from the White Tower

I loved it when Egwene lambasted the White Tower Hall and raised Silviana to be Keeper

I breathed a sigh of relief when Rand regained sanity

I smiled when the light shone down over Dragonmount

The direction Perrin's lot were heading after Malden and the direction Galad and his Whitecloaks were heading were, basically, on an intercept path.  

Incidentally, am I the only one who thought Gawyn was actually okay in this book?    ???

I've never minded Gawyn as much as other people.  I sympathize with him a bit.  When the Tower broke he was inexperienced enough to think he was doling the right thing because technically, Siuan's removal went according to Tower law.  I'm just glad he finally made a decision on where his loyalties lie.  I can even forgive his inability to see Egwene really is the Amyrlin right away.

"By the way, that dress you are wearing is green"

LOVED IT!!!!

Although I have to say my favorite chapter was "In the White Tower".

That was my favorite line in the whole book.  I loved Verin as a character and that was some pretty good humor for someone having some special tea.

Archived