DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

The Last That Could Be Done. Yet, strangely, I found the best plotline overall to be Egwene's, despite the brilliance and power of the aforementioned Chapter 22. And I haven't liked Egwene in the past. At all. Plaudits to Messrs Jordan and Sanderson both for doing such a great job.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man oh man do I agree. Moridin/Ish does not fit the regular mold of the rest of the forsaken as pointed out by Verin. He is either extremely in tune with the DO, or he is a double agent. I have yet to make up my mind. Bear in mind why he went to the shadow in the first place. Everybody else had a base reason.

I also think the scene with Moridin playing with the kingfisher in the last book was as revealing as this latest installment was of him.

Ishmael/Moridin initially seemed just as greedy, megalomaniac and evil as the other forsaken.

Moridin has been changing since the balefire incident - probably for similar reasons that Rand changed. Moridin's evil seeped into Rand and perhaps some of Rand's humanity seeped to Moridin. If Moridin feels pain in the hand when Rand no longer does, what would the effect of the double wound be on him?

I also believe that Shaidar Haran may be a part of Moridin. We never see them together but they operate in complete coordination. The more powerful SH gets, the weaker Moridin gets.

It will be interesting to see how Rand's return to the lighr will play on their bond. The viewing of Rand and another man merging that Min saw probably applies to Moridin (because LTT was never "another man" - he was Rand+AOL memories all along). The prophecies talk about Rand fighting the Dark One, nothing about the DO's champion. I think Moridin goes away for good before the last battle, but probably not by balefire. Perhaps Moridin has to fully die to allow Rand to fully fulfill his destiny and allow Shaidar Haran to attain his full potential.

2 favorite quotes...

Mat,

"Women... Are like mules. Wait. No. Goats. Women are like goats. Except every one thinks she's a horse instead, and a prize racing mare to boot."

and Rand,

"How do you fight someone smarter than yourself? The answer is simple. You sit down across the table from her, make her think you're playing her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can.

2 favorite quotes...

Mat,

"Women... Are like mules. Wait. No. Goats. Women are like goats. Except every one thinks she's a horse instead, and a prize racing mare to boot."

and Rand,

"How do you fight someone smarter than yourself? The answer is simple. You sit down across the table from her, make her think you're playing her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can.

Both very good quotes...

For whatever reason, my favorite quote was when Lews Therin was arguing with Rand about "The List" and its inconsistency after balefiring Graendal's palace. The whole "I can't go on like this!" aspect of it just killed me. LTT has always amused me though, but this time was beyond mere amusement. Literally, laughing out loud, rolling on the floor, whatever the jargon is these days. Priceless quote, one of the top 3 in the series for me.

"How do you fight someone smarter than yourself? The answer is simple. You sit down across the table from her, make her think you're playing her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can."

My favorite part of the book was pretty much every chapter Rand was in. Until the Dragonmount scene, he could do no wrong in my eyes. Killing Semirhage. Banishing Cadsuane. Telling Tuon where to stick it. Balefiring hundreds of people. Giving the middle finger to the Borderland army.... It was all gold. I love cuendillar Rand and I really hope he doesn't go soft in the next book.

Until the Dragonmount scene, he could do no wrong in my eyes. Killing Semirhage. Banishing Cadsuane. Telling Tuon where to stick it. Balefiring hundreds of people. Giving the middle finger to the Borderland army.... It was all gold. I love cuendillar Rand and I really hope he doesn't go soft in the next book.

i don't see anything wrong with most of those actions. absolutely perfect. the balefiring scene was bad, not at all for the tactical/strategic merit, though. it was the right decision, just the fact that he had NO qualms whatsoever about it, is the bad part- being symbolic of how far gone he was mentally, despite his otherwise not-disastrous decisions.

Until the Dragonmount scene, he could do no wrong in my eyes. Killing Semirhage. Banishing Cadsuane. Telling Tuon where to stick it. Balefiring hundreds of people. Giving the middle finger to the Borderland army.... It was all gold. I love cuendillar Rand and I really hope he doesn't go soft in the next book.

i don't see anything wrong with most of those actions. absolutely perfect. the balefiring scene was bad, not at all for the tactical/strategic merit, though. it was the right decision, just the fact that he had NO qualms whatsoever about it, is the bad part- being symbolic of how far gone he was mentally, despite his otherwise not-disastrous decisions.

Yup i liked Cuendillar Rand too.I dont think he will go all mellow in the new book.He will made hard decisions.he will kill women again.

The only thing that will be different is that he wont feel that he has been forced to do this.He understands why he is fighting this war.So the self-loathing and everything-bad-happens-to-me attitude will reduce and he wll go to the Last Battle with a clear conscience.

Oh yeah, Mat would have been a great way to bridge that gap between them. But both are being cagey as hell there and not really talking to each other.  Again, all very in character, if frustrating for the reader who knows these two MUST make an alliance before the Last Battle.

I was kinda hoping Darth Rand would just kill her right then and there - then make peace with whomever were next in line. Wouldn't be that out of character considering he thinks about killing the Borderlanders.

Favorite scene was before Rand got collared when him and Moridin just sat down and talked. I think it was really cool

yeah I loved that part. I love how moridin was the harried one this time!

This was my favourite scene too. Truth be told, I've been fascinated by Ishamael / Moridin since TEOTW, and seeing glimpses of him, his thought processes and his interaction with Rand have been amongst the highlights of the series for me.

In TGS, we finally get to see a more 'human', almost resigned side of Moridin. The way it was written, I couldn't help but sympathise with him, the despair he felt arising from the constant turning of the Wheel. Whether it was done deliberately to goad Rand into an attempted suicide, or an honest glimpse into Moridin's soul, I thought the scene brought out the deeper meaning of the plot. It's scenes like these that elevate WOT above the bog-standard, hero-gets-magic-sword-kills-big-baddie-and-lives-happily-ever-after fantasy books.

My pet theory is that Moridin will betray the DO in some way before the series is out. It may not necessarily be to help Rand, but it will be for a higher purpose. Maybe he'll actually defeat Rand at the Last Battle, and just when the DO least expects it, sacrifices himself to kill the DO, bringing about a New Age without the need for repetition.

It was bad from an ethics perspective, but it was freakin brilliant from a tactical perspective! 

How do you ensure that you kill Graendal from afar? You have her do something nasty, long distance balefire her house, and then see if the bad thing she did is undone. Just brilliant! :o

It was bad from an ethics perspective, but it was freakin brilliant from a tactical perspective! 

How do you ensure that you kill Graendal from afar? You have her do something nasty, long distance balefire her house, and then see if the bad thing she did is undone. Just brilliant! :o

I personally thought it was completely moral to balefire the entire palace full of people under Gren's influence. We saw with the boy when the compulsion is removed he was an empty husk. I view balefiring those individuals on par with balefiring liah to save her from the Shadar Logoth fog. A small mercy.

33 pages and I'm only the 3rd person to metion the return of Bela?

What can I say, I missed Bela.  I know there's a lot of saps out there who won't admit it, but they missed her too.

And there's like 200 posts on Veins of Gold so I will be I think the 2nd dissenter.  DarkRand has so much more value to the story than LaughingRand.  DarkRand comes with a "special move", the "Room Darkening Stare".  LaughingRand is to DarkRand what Annie Skywalker is to Darth Vader.  Meh.  They finally get Rand to turn the corner in The Last that Could Be Done, only to undo it half a book later.  Typical RJ (now BS too, apparently).  I don't think we've seen the last of the "Room Darkening Stare" though...  (At least I hope not).

I was sooooo happy seeing Bela again... reminded me why the wheel keeps turning (I know Rand spouted all that b/s about love and 'veins of gold' in the last chapter but who was he kidding?) Just wait until he runs into ol'Bela from Two Rivers again... He'll be laughing and crying for sure!!

I despise all the comments about "Bela being the Creator" and everything but the Bela part of TGS made me laugh. I think it was a nod to such comments as the one above.

I don't think Rand has changed that much. I think he's the same as the one before "The Last That Could Be Done." Now he has purpose and meaning.

I think of it being kinda like Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

I do hope Rand keeps using his "Force Persuasion" like he did on Tuon. I was half-expecting him to say "These are not the droids you're looking for."

Yeah, yeah. I'm a Star Wars nerd. What of it?

My favorite part of the book had to be some little scenes. It was nice to see Egwene think of Aram. It was the first time in a while we've seen a connection between the Rebel Amyrlin and the girl that had those crazy adventures. It was cool to see Bela again, if only because it made me wonder what Tam will say when he sees her during the Last Battle. "Hey! There's Bela. Who the heck said you kids could take her all over the world? I have carts to pull!" I also hope that we've seen the beginnings of a still-determined but more human Rand. Seriously, "Hard as Steel" Rand just started getting annoying.

personally i liked the scene where rand was laid curled up on the seal while skimming...it was just  a great image

btw has anyone else noticed that rands tavereness is linked with his emotional state? in the early books he afefcted lots of marriages etc, during books like the crown of swrods etc they kind of balanced eachother out and now its all bad... i wonder what they will be like in the next boko, i suppose it depends on how total rands change in veins of gold was

Gotta agree with Jason, Chapter 22 The Last That Could Be Done.  What was your most disappointing chapter or scene?  Mine was where Rand and Tuon met.  That could have been epic, both in plot line and writing but I felt let down.

I was pretty upset as well when nothing too exciting happened.  There was so much hype building up to their meeting that I just expected some huge event to occur. 

The best part of the book hands down for me was when Rand realized he does not have to be cuendillar to beat the dark one, but to remember love.  It was not what I was expecting at all, but it was brilliant. 

I think Brandon Sanderson has done an amazing job, I had no idea what to expect, but it was marvelous.  I think Robert Jordan would be proud.

What can I say, I missed Bela.  I know there's a lot of saps out there who won't admit it, but they missed her too.

And there's like 200 posts on Veins of Gold so I will be I think the 2nd dissenter.  DarkRand has so much more value to the story than LaughingRand.  DarkRand comes with a "special move", the "Room Darkening Stare".  LaughingRand is to DarkRand what Annie Skywalker is to Darth Vader.  Meh.  They finally get Rand to turn the corner in The Last that Could Be Done, only to undo it half a book later.  Typical RJ (now BS too, apparently).  I don't think we've seen the last of the "Room Darkening Stare" though...  (At least I hope not).

I don't think Rand is going to be the same as he was before DarkRand. I think he's going to be even more badass, actually. Remember, Angst is easy to mistake for being badass, but it never really is.

I would have to say that one of my favorite scenes was where Mat and Thom were on their way to Hinderstap, remenisicing on their earlier travels. Also loved The Last That Could be Done.

Also I find it curious that no one has mentioned (or at least I havent seen it yet) that when Rand met with Hurrin that the sniffer smelt something more foul than Fain. . .

It got me wondering if it was rand that he was smelling. No one else that the poor thief taker has ever met or had to track down had just got done burning so many threads out of the pattern with balefire, and in my humble opinion that is a bit more violent than simple murder.

There are just so many.  A list of those that come to the top of my head:

- Verin and Egwene.  I always loved Verin and this just cemented everything.  My only regret is that she died.

- Rand coming back to himself.  That chapter totally made my year and made me more excited for the next book.

- All Mat chapters. Hey, what can I say. They all rocked.

-Egwene vs. Elaida part 2.  I've been waiting for that for so long.  I've envisioned it in my head so many times.  Yeah. Dream come true.  Way to rock and roll, Egwene.

I liked Bela coming back but I listened to the Audio Book and the way the woman who was reading it at the time said "Bellllla!!!!!!" spoiled it for me! I think if I was a chick I might have liked it but I just heard it and thought she'd put her own excitement into her voice too much thus precluding my own excitement. Call me a kill joy but it was definitely a moment for reading not hearing.

To balance out what I just said I loved hearing, and I mean specifically hearing it in the audio book, the parts where Rand and LTT interact especially the dragon mount scene.

Archived