DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was your favorite chapter / scene/quote?

Jason Denzel

Laras is Mesaana...

I liked the scene where even as everyone is discussing plans to control Rand, Min finally says, "Maybe we should try to help him." And everyone goes quiet.

My favorite scene was absolutely when Tam entered Cadsuane's room furious for whatever it was she had done to hurt Rand and make him hate her. 

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laras is Mesaana...

I liked the scene where even as everyone is discussing plans to control Rand, Min finally says, "Maybe we should try to help him." And everyone goes quiet.

My favorite scene was absolutely when Tam entered Cadsuane's room furious for whatever it was she had done to hurt Rand and make him hate her. 

That theory has been proven wrong lots of times. Laras was already there 20 years ago and thus difficult to replace.

WOW, this book just kicks ass.

one of my favorite qoutes would probably have to be from Verin,

"your dress is green" I could almost picture Egwenes face after she said that.  Magnificent.

The part where the townsfolk went nuts at night was pretty cool too, reminds me of that old Star Trek episode, you know the one.

And Egwene taking charge and kicking the snot out of the Seanchan.

This dude did a superb job, read the book in 3 days gonna let it sit for week and go through it again.

My favorite scene I think was in Chapter 40, from Adelorna Bastine's POV, right as the Captain-General of the Green Ajah is collared by the Seanchan.  Her collar suddenly pops free and her captors are fried to a crisp.

"Adelorna turned hesitantly.  A woman in white stood atop the rubble a short distance away, a massive halo of power surrounding her, her arm outstretched toward the fleeing soldiers, her eyes intense.  The woman stood like vengeance itself, the power of saidar like a storm around her.  The very air seemed alight, and her brown hair blew from the wind of the open gap in the wall beside them.  Egwene al'Vere."

That paragraph sent chills down my spine and the subsequent scenes with Egwene blew my mind.

I COMPLETELY agree.  I was already an Eggie fan before this book...I have been for quite some time, but this just locked it in place for me.  She may have a couple of shortcomings, but she is without a doubt one of my top favorites in the entire cities and she totally stole the show throughout the entire book.

Many favorites already mentioned by others but one not really mentioned was when Tam called Cadsuane a bully.  Really fit in to why Rand was becoming who he was and why the Tower was divided.  The Aes Sedai believe themselves to be perfect and Elaida leads them to certain doom and others trying to pulls Rand's "Strings" instead of an advisory mode.

Favourite parts for me, in order of best to worst (worst being a comparative word, since they were all great! :) )

• A visit from Verin
  • Egwene during Seanchan raid -- very close second! :)
  • Rand calling people 3000 years his junior
  • Rand showing some of his skills from the AoL (namely the trick for traveling)
  • Mat vs Zombies

So many more, and now there are SOOO many things that are going ot happen in ToM. Can't wait.  I think i'll like ToM more than i did TGS, just because its going to resolve SOO many arcs

Hi All,

Well, I'd have to say that Mat's character was fantastic, out of the entire series, his arc is the one I always look forward to, and so the converstaions with T'manes about marriage and Tuon rang true to me as his character dealt with what was happening, the changes in his life. The scene about the false histories for the raid was hysterical, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. 'You don't have an ageing aunt' I was grinning like an idiot. The zombie village scene was great.

Egwene's arc used to annoy me, and then finally her destiny arrived, it was fantastic, powerful and emotional, the scene with Verin was masterful and sad, but I actually had a feeling she was bad from the start, I just couldn't put it together.

Rand's meeting with Tam, I've been waiting for soooooo long for that to happen and it was brilliant!

The forsaken dying and coming back drove me mental, every step forward meant two steps back as they kept cropping up like weeds, or that game where you whack animals popping out of holes and they pop back up in a different place, it was about time Rand Bale Fired them, I was like hell yeah, take that!

But on the flip side Veins of gold was truly powerful, I felt hope for Rand finally, as if the weight of his story lifted finally, it was amazing. I smiled so much and can't wait for the next two books!

I would love to see a sword fight between a sane Rand and the silly pup Gawyn, where Rand holds him off till the truth comes out about his mother. Possibly in front of Egwene and Elayne to add to the drama  ;D

That's my newbie two cents,

Cheers

SK

Didn't care for the zombies. Hated the back story banter, HATED the dialogue between Mat and Thom. The rest was alright. I liked the implied romantic tension with Aludra. That was unexpected and abrupt, in a good way.

Besides those parts, I really liked most of the rest of the book.

Rand's descent into darkness was so tense and painful. Very appropriate. His sudden revelation at the end was interesting. I really liked the fact that so many things could have turned out against the Seanchan, but for some reason the Pattern seems to be sparing them their destruction. Very intriguing.

ok,,,I LOVED Egwene's entire arc in this book. This was very balanced...VERY balanced. Near perfect. "These days will be legendary!"

*Cheers*

Her admonishment of the Aes Sedai when they thought even as they raised her Amyrlin that they could try one more time to control her, hook her...No. Egwene al Vere is boss.

Verin's scene with her was one of the best ever written in this series. When Verin leans close and speaks in a soft focused voice and Egwene thinks to herself Who is this woman?

I loved a lot of this book. Liked most of it, but some parts were disappointing. So overall, I give this book a B.

Rom for improvement is not necessarily bad. It presents an opportunity to really shake em down. I have high hopes and expectations for Towers of Midnight (which is an awesome title btw)

There were many good scenes in this book.

-Verin discussing dress colors with Egwene (well written on top of being a huge revelation)

-Egwene fighting the Seanchan with Vora's sa'angreal (sucker for battles right here)

-Semirhage/Rand/TP/Min  (powerful scene)

-Ituralde and the Seanchan general (really really liked this scene)

-Tam giving Cadsuane a verbal *****slap ( :D ;D :) 8))

and many more

My favorite has to be Tam talking Cadsuane down. SOMEBODY needed to do it, and I was glad it was Tam. After all of Cadsuane's bullying the Dragon Reborn, who bullies her? Why TDRs dad of course haha :). I've always liked Tam's character and was very happy with his reentry to the series.

Also, I do like how Egwene saved the Captain-General of the green ajah. After all their frostiness towards her, she scoops Adelorna's behind out of the fire. Great Scene.

Not a popular view, but Veins of Gold just didn't do it for me as a great scene initially. Maybe it was just the way it was written, because reading other peoples comments about this chapter has made me come to appreciate it more, maybe all the other great scenes in the book simply dwarfed it in my mind, or maybe (also most likely) I was reading so fast from being completely enthralled that I didn't take the time to truly appreciate the scene. My initial impression of the chapter just wasn't that great, though it definitely has grown.

However, the end where Egwene looks out at the light piercing the cloud made for a great Epilogue. I don't have the book on me, but I really liked how, after Egwene struggles and struggles through the whole book with the Tower Aes Sedai, the book ends with one (forgot who) asking a question out of wonder and Egwene truly acting like the Amyrlin (in my opinion) with her answer.  I think it was a fitting end to one of this series' best story arcs (the arc only including the part in this book of course).  Probably my second favorite scene in the book and a fitting end to it.

I could go on and on so I will stop now.

You know what I really loved about Egwene's arc? You really come to feel that she truly is Aes Sedai.

She takes the 3 Oaths on the Oath Rod, yes, but laments that she was not tested by the rings...uh, the torture and struggle and beatings and tribulations she underwent with complete poise...I think she surpassed any test the Rings could have shown her. She also was an expert of all the 100 weaves necessary for the test, and she mastered them with only the barest ability to channel.

You really got the feeling that she was more Aes Sedai than Aes Sedai were.

Just finished the book.

As has been echoed a billion times  already, the Verin chapter was my absolute favorite, and probably among the top five of the entire series for me. I must've read the words: "I am, after all, of the Black Ajah" a hundred times before moving on. I mean, I've read the theories, and the counter-arguments, but it still stunned me. And then her revelations afterwards absolutely floored me. After reading the chapter, I read it again. I was so giddy with excitement.

Verin definitely deserves a followup scene, where Egwene honors her in front of the entire White Tower. She deserves that much.

My favorite scenes were Egwene defending the tower against the Seanchan and Mat's foray into Hinderstap. Gawd that was creepy.

I also liked the scene where Rand confronted Graendal (indirectly). Oh man, he blew the whole thing up with balefire! It was definitely a wtf moment. I totally understood his point of view of balefiring everything, and obviously everyone in that camp was brainwashed with thick layers of compulsion.

Egwene is far more aes sedai than the current breed of Aes Sedai. Im not sure how her powers compare to Caddy, but she's more of an Aes Sedai then her, maybe if just by a little.

She'd fit in perfectly in the AoL

Easily for the shock factor it has to be Verin's revelation to Egwene but a very close totally different 2nd is the scene where Mat is giving everyone backstories before they infiltrate and find whoever is passing out posters of him and then Verin busts that party up.  HAHAHA.  Cried for the Verin scene Laughed super hard at the Mat one.

Hello fellow WOT fans. Its been a long while since I posted here, but I just finished the book and must say I absolutely loved it. Big props to Brandon Sanderson, I really feel like this book flowed as well as any in the series (which is saying a lot). I really cannot wait for the last 2 books...grrrrrrrr.

That being said, I must profess my undying love for Egwene al'Vere "Watcher of the Seals. The Flame of Tar Valon. The Amyrlin Seat"

I've never been the biggest fan of the "Super Girls" but Egwene's story arc stole the show. Her fighting the Seanchan, her meet with Verin, and her dramatic speech at the end were the 3 best chapters in the book imo. I had goosebumps the whole time.

I still love Rand and Mat, still annoyed with complaining Perrin and Ny, but Egwene probably moved to the top of my fav. character list. There is so much I want to say about the book, but i'll leave some for other potential posts. :)

I wish that happened...nothing in WoT ever goes that easily...lol.

But seriously, how come Nynaeve didn't say to Tuon and all the assembled Seanchan something like, "oh by the way, all your sul'dam can channel.  seriously...try it...but an a'dam on one and you'll see.  your society is a sham.  have a nice day."

Actually, that revelation was already made to Tuon (in CoT or KoD, I don't remember) by Mat. She didn't even flinch. She actually rationalized it very well. To the Seanchan channeling is evil. Even though Tuon was capable of channeling she didn't actually do it. She chose not do it. So she didn't commit any evil act.

The equivalent to channeling in Seanchan society would be child rape in ours. Replace one word for the other and you'll understand their reactions. Those who would channel anyway are child molesters that can't control themselves. The sul'dam (channelers who need to learn to channel) are people who can turn child molesters into good-natured animals. It'd be like replacing famous recurring pedophiles with Lassies and Rintintins, who actually save children.

So revealing that the sul'dam can channel only reveals that the person who controls the impulses of the child molester can actually become a child molester...or not. Since there's a choice, there's no inherent evil if they don't actually commit the act. Of course, it can make someone very unhinged to learn what she could be. And sul'dam would be looked with more suspicion. But it wouldn't undermine their society completely. Not if they think like Tuon at least.

I also think it is epic in the chapter where it is revealed exactly where the new sword he carries came from. Perhaps that is the sword of light and not Callandor. What can be more light than Justice! Perhaps that's a stretch.

I think I missed that. People keep saying that Rand has Justice but I didn't notice this. In which chapter exactly is this revealed?

My favorite bit from the book:

"I like him." ~Lews Therin

"You don't like anyone!" ~Rand

"He's honest. More than I am, for certain! A man doesn't choose to be an idiot, but he does choose to be loyal. We could do much worse than have this man as a follower." ~Lews Therin

I think I might miss him...

I think I missed that. People keep saying that Rand has Justice but I didn't notice this. In which chapter exactly is this revealed?

In Arad Doman, he is given a sword that he remembers from his memories, not LTT.  It's a special blade of some sort, and found underneath the ocean or some such.  He mentions seeing it in Falme.  The only special blades he really saw in Falme were the Seanchan High Lord's, which was heron-marked and Justice in the Horn-Summoned Artur Hawkwing's fist.

I believe BS verified that it was Justice, or at least did a non-answering assent sort of thing.

In Arad Doman, he is given a sword that he remembers from his memories, not LTT.  It's a special blade of some sort, and found underneath the ocean or some such.  He mentions seeing it in Falme.  The only special blades he really saw in Falme were the Seanchan High Lord's, which was heron-marked and Justice in the Horn-Summoned Artur Hawkwing's fist.

I believe BS verified that it was Justice, or at least did a non-answering assent sort of thing.

Which argues strongly that if/when the Horn is sounded again, Hawkwing will not be present.  Be paradoxical for two Heroes ( Rand and Hawkwing ) to both have the same sword at the same time in the same place.

Which argues strongly that if/when the Horn is sounded again, Hawkwing will not be present.  Be paradoxical for two Heroes ( Rand and Hawkwing ) to both have the same sword at the same time in the same place.

the HoH weapons and armor are not the same as what they had when the lived b/c the the OP has no effect

Archived