DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your names and is there a reason for them?

42Bonzo88

I've been thinking of this subject for awhile ever since trakand01 started the thread on different points of view (so if you don't like this thread, BLAME HER!! ;D :D ;D) but your sign-on or name, why did you pick it and does it have any meaning to you?

42Bonzo88, is two parts. Bonzo is the nickname of the drummer (John Bonham) from Led Zeppelin. I've always liked the name. 42, and 88, come from two sports heroes of my youth. 42 was the center of my high school basketball team where my Dad coached. He was one of the coolest players and I was 8 when he played. 88 was a receiver on the football team and he was my age. He was one of the popular kids, but always was cool to me.

Anyway, have fun!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Spirit" is my horse's stable name (what she's called at home, her 'show' name is Ishtar's Lovesong). 1025...October 25...is the date I became a Christian several years ago.

I always find it interesting to know where people got their screen names. Good idea!

Bob T Dwarf is a name one of my kids came up with for a character he once played years ago when he was into D&D.  I co-opted it because I thought it conveyed just the right sense of ridiculousness for a fantasy book forum.

I'm sure if he knew how deadly serious-sounding I often make poor old Bob, he'd dope slap me.

So..... DON'T TELL HIM! ;)

Several years ago, my only Yahoo ID was one that used my real name. For various reasons, I decided I needed one that wouldn't put my real name out there for everyone and his dog to see so I started brainstorming. My family owns a ranch and people had been talking about replanting the pastures in native grasses and trying to bring them back to what they would have been back when buffalo still roamed. There are a number of grasses called fescues. Just plain "Fescue" was already taken as a name on Yahoo but one of the grass species is blue fescue and that got me thinking about modified fescues. Since my degree is from the University of Texas, the school colors for which are burnt orange and white, I picked "Orange Fescue" for the new Yahoo ID and started using it as my handle on different sites.

This is really interesting!

Mine is much more boring than most (just my real name, sort of), though how I came by it is ... interesting :D

Elgee = LG = Laura-Gene (my real name).

I got tired of people mis-hearing me and calling me all things under the sun, including Norma Jean. Now I don't mind people mistaking me for the Screen Goddess, except that she's dead. Also, no matter how many times I spelled it, people would still write Laura-Jean. Another thing that REALLY riled me is if I introduced myself as Laura-Gene ... and they immediately shortened it to Laura.  You say your name is John - do I call you Jo?? No.

So to save people from a tongue lashing, I started introducing myself as LG. One day the following telephone conversation happened:

Mary: Hi I'm Mary.

LG: Hi Mary, you're speaking to LG.

Mary: So how do you spell that?

LG: uhmm ... LG ?

Mary: Yes, but how do you spell it?

LG: *wtf??* you spell it L G ...

Mary: Yes, but how do you spell that ???

LG: *going red in the face* Lady, what the hell do you mean by how do you spell LG?? Do you not know your alphabet?

Mary: Well no need to get huffy with me! You might spell it e l J e e, for all I know!

LG: *long pause ... deep breaths ... counts to 10 slowly ...* No, Mary ... let's just spell it e l G e e.

my name... phantom semi... comes from a particular problem adolescent (or older perhaps) males suffer from.. particularly at the most awkward times like during class, that seems to occur of its occord and unexpectedly..... hope i dont have to elaborate anymore..  :P

The Mr Ares name is one with much history behind it. It dates back to the time of my great-great-grandfather, who claimed (among many other unlikely things) to be the son of Ares and so used his name among friends. The name has passed down through the genrations, being used as an alias during shady business dealings, a convenient psuedonym, or just a nickname, until it came to me.

I always love finding out why people pick their screenames  :D

Niamh is irish gaelic and you actually pronounce it 'Neev (as in Eve with a N at the beginning). I picked it because my favourite character in the series was Nynaeve and the name sounds like the second syllable of hers. Plus, I just think Niamh is a pretty name. I was very excited though when looking on a WoT map to find the Niamh passes  ;D

This is really interesting!

Mine is much more boring than most (just my real name, sort of), though how I came by it is ... interesting :D

Elgee = LG = Laura-Gene (my real name).

You're actually lucky it was only one telephone conversation.  Years ago a young man named R. B. Jones enlisted in the Army.  The recruiting sergeant who filled out his paperwork didn't know quite how to get the "system" to accept only the initials R. B., so he filled out all of the forms using R (only)  B. (only).

The poor guy went through his entire military career being officially known as Ronly Bonly Jones.

My name is my favorite woman character from Sandstorm by James Rollins.  I also thought the name was really cool.  Safia al-Maaz.  I love how it sounds.  And looks.  For the record, I recommend Sandstorm as a great book to read, though it's nothing like the Wheel of Time.  It's not even fantasy.  :P

You are all Awesome!! Thank you so much for responding and please continue. I have really liked the stories with them. Its cool when you sign in that it is a part of you, whether your real name or not, it means something to you. Keep it up!!

P.S. didn't mean to place it in the wrong place.

Sila Darklover was the protagonist of a WoT fanfic I started writing two years before discovering DM: a woman who lived in the Blight and loved Shadowspawn. 

Whenever I think someone else's story needs a villain-lovin' girl I invent one, and usually name her Sila.  Don't know why that name; I just like it.  Darklover seemed the kind of title Randlanders would give such a person. 

I had to think on why I picked Cabriana. I've always liked the name Cabriana Mecandes, especially the Cabriana part.

I think it's because it reminds me of my daughter's name to a degree (Julianna). I always get a smile on my face when I think of Julianna so I guess Cabriana just palin makes me happy.

Bar comes from the book Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. for a while I would make various screen names that started with Bar, such as bartuon or barallesan, etc... one day I needed a new ending to bar, so I randomly added macral.

Back when I played WoW, somebody PM'd me one day much along the lines of this:

"OMG! I Know what your name means!"

"Uhh... ok?"

"It means you drink like a fish! Macral is mackerel, and Bar refer's to the drinking establishment. Therefore, you drink like a fish."

Since then I was known to him and a few others as Drunk Fish.

bRANDan, you share a name with me, don't you feel blessed, knowing that you were named after me? (Oh yes, you were, most assuredly, even St. Brendan was named after me)

My name is a mix of my last two names (a middle name and my surname ;)) that was made up as "jellybaby" in playgroup. (the bit before even starting school..pre-school? :-\) So I shortened it to Jelly and decided to use it. ;D

Well, I guess it can't be any worse than a drunk fish. ;D  When I was in college, the group of guys I hung out with always teased me about my penchant for, um, "short term relationships".  They accused me of hopping from bed to bed and eventually the nickname evolved.  What can I say, it was the 80's.  Anyway, the name has stuck and the Q is just my last name initial.

When I started out at Dragonmount I just had a great wealth of theories concerning Graendal. Should all of them be true, Graendal would more or less be responsible for everything that happens in the books, so it occurred to me that as I was making her a goddess of sorts I should at least have the appropriate position. Of course, were it so, I would think so nevertheless.

Besides it makes this quote of Lanfear's from The Shadow Rising very nice, like setting out alternative futures of Rand's, ones that Moiraine did not foresee in the ter'angreal: "Learn Well and quickly, Lews Therin. I mean us to rule together, not to watch Sammael kill you or Graendal add you to her collection of handsome young men. Learn well and quickly."

Mine is quite boring really.

'Corki' happens to be my real life nickname, which I have had for 11+ years now. It resulted when people could not be bothered pronouncing my Irish surname. So they shortened it, and it has stuck ever since. There have been variations, like "Corkster", but Corki is what I consider my true nickname.

To be honest, more people know me by my nickname than my real name. I had a school friend who didn't know what my real name was for 4 years. He only knew me as "Corki".

Oh, and I am fussy on the spelling. It is with an 'i', not a 'y'. I have no idea why I went with an 'i'. Maybe I wanted to be different from all the Corky's out there.

Archived