DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your names and is there a reason for them?

42Bonzo88

Well...never really thought about it much. I guess it really just goes back a ways.

My da was a Shoulderthumper. My granda was a Sholderthumper, and his da before him. I guess it has just stuck as the family named based on our trade, kinda like Cooper and Smith.

Can't really imagine being anything but a Shoulderthumper. Me friends call me Slippy though.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't post up here very often, but here goes. :)

My username is quite prosaic.  I was looking for a name for a character of mine (in one of my stories) and I saw the name in a book of myths and legends.  It fit the character, so I thought it would fit in fairly well on a fantasy site like this and I've been using variations of it ever since.

Originally I joined DM to RP and write stories so I chose this because I wanted it to be my character name.  I blame Paityr and Steel Blade for taking me out of the safe world of RP and putting me out into DM in the form you see before you now. Anyway Justen is actually from the L.E. Modesitt Recluce series because I dig the spelling of the name.  For the other since I was a youngster I've referred to myself as 'the devil' when speaking in third person and I thought Diablos sounded somewhat ominous for a character name.  I was younger then.  But if I stopped calling myself Diablos now no one would know who I am, and that's an ego maniac's greatest fear.

JD,

Being 'that guy' since they coined the term "Why you gotta be that guy?"

"Kai-Thana" was my first DnD character when I started playing in elementary school.  When I was in high school, I started a terrible, awful, novel that shall never see the light of day, and it starred "Kathana Trevalaer, Lady of Justice" (Don't ask, don't ask, don't ask). When I started posting on WoT forums, I thought it was more appropriate than my other handle, "High Commander Squiggles". (Again, don't ask.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious on the name shoulderthumper. I know what a smith is and a cooper, but I don't have a clue as to what a shoulderthumper was except maybe a soldier. Could you elaborate please?

Again, thank you for all of the responses so far!!! LOVE IT ;D

Guest nephitess

For my name it was hard to think of, but eventually I got it from a religious text I read. There is a group of people in it called the Nephites, So i just feminised the name and made it Nephitess! :D

Simple enough my surname combined with the country of my birth. Also means King of Cuba.  in school I was known as the Cuban Cowboy (for my politics and habit of wearing boots and a cowboy hat. Later on by best friend told be I was getting a Big head ansd he expected me to replace the hat with a crown. The next time I went to his apartment I wore a Burger King Crown. The nickname kind of got picked up by my poker and drinking buddies, and I've used it ever since.

To throw my to cents in a ShoulderThumper is akin to a knee breaker, or enforcer at least that was the meaning I remember from my time growing up in Dutch Schultz and Albert Anastasia's home town. Where Wise Guys and Goodfellas congregated.

bjclinton- I always thought your name was a clever reference to the Monica Lewinsky thing. ;)

Brendan+Rand=bRANDan

Though BrandAN would have worked too. But certainly not BreRandndan.

Join the club! At work, my VP almost made me use my formal name on my business cards because he thought my name was "innapropriate!"

This, of course, was back in 2000- not too long after the 'incident'

funny stuff

bjclinton- I always thought your name was a clever reference to the Monica Lewinsky thing. ;)

Brendan+Rand=bRANDan

Though BrandAN would have worked too. But certainly not BreRandndan.

Join the club! At work, my VP almost made me use my formal name on my business cards because he thought my name was "innapropriate!"

This, of course, was back in 2000- not too long after the 'incident'

funny stuff

That would be Al Gore?

Just curious on the name shoulderthumper. I know what a smith is and a cooper, but I don't have a clue as to what a shoulderthumper was except maybe a soldier. Could you elaborate please?

Again, thank you for all of the responses so far!!! LOVE IT ;D

One who thumps shoulders. Sometimes I's thump other things too.

:D

After that, mine is rather boring.

Loreina is a family name. I've always thought that it's probably a corruption of La Reine, but I don't really know. It's not my real name. I 'borrowed' it from an Aunt who died right before I joined DM, because I loved her, and because it sounded more WoTish than mine.  ;D

Years ago playin Starcraft I decided I would make a screen name as Open, well as you can see I was typing too fast and spelled it Onep. I just went along with it and kept it for every single game I play. I added the "Lord" part because well... I dunno I love the thought of being a drunken gambling lord without a care in the world! And it sounds important,and fits the WoT scene. ;D

Also I love how original Onep is. I almost always have it available where ever I go. And if any of you Earthbounders are out there, it also sounds like Onett. The hometown of child hero Ness.

Well I usually go by Moridin on other boards, but I didn't want to do that on a WOT board and I also didn't want to come up with a brand new username so I just used my real name.

Cillian.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first started reading WOT and I saw Illian the map, "Hey! Thats almost my name!"  :D

So I think it works well here :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much all of the handles ive used over the years have been names of DnD characters.  This one was the least creative of them, but Squee seems to suit my personality.  Its also a big 'ol whopping pile of plagiarism I suppose.  I was playing as a goblin.  Yes you can be a goblin in dnd...you can be whatever you want to be...even a vampire ninja pirate.  Sorry, rehashing old 'discussion'.  Being a goblin I thought of the Magic series and Squee the goblin cabin boy.  The EGA stands for 'Elite Goblin Assassin'...guess what his class was? 

Archived