DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New to Dragonmount?

Songstress

Hey y'all,

Name's Dan.

I've been a fan of the series since forever--started reading them right after Winter's Heart was published--and I reread the novels several times--then a Memory of Light came out in 2013.  After I finished the MoL January 2013 I was lost--no series equals the WoT.  During the next 5 years, I'd do odd things like figure out how to play Jack of the Shadows in my spare time still.  Then I decided to listen to the series--audiobooks-- December.  And I just fell back into his world.  Just began listening to a GoS and am wondering what I'll do once I finish, lol.

I'm an American, but the Wheel's put me in Edinburgh, Scotland--and you know that Scotland invented golf.  I NEED to listen, it's been beautiful lately, and so--well, the WoT is helping me swing away and get better!

Hi Dan! Seems like you've come to the right place to find like-minded folks  :wink:

Poke around and explore the site, ask questions if you have any  - and don't miss the social community section, it's a wonderful place to make new friends! 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Oddpositions said:

Thanks @Ryrin ! Just posted over at the BT social group :D

Great!!!  I'm Captain General of the Green Ajah so I'm mostly in the White Tower and Warders. 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, haycraftd said:

Hey y'all,

Name's Dan.

I've been a fan of the series since forever--started reading them right after Winter's Heart was published--and I reread the novels several times--then a Memory of Light came out in 2013.  After I finished the MoL January 2013 I was lost--no series equals the WoT.  During the next 5 years, I'd do odd things like figure out how to play Jack of the Shadows in my spare time still.  Then I decided to listen to the series--audiobooks-- December.  And I just fell back into his world.  Just began listening to a GoS and am wondering what I'll do once I finish, lol.

I'm an American, but the Wheel's put me in Edinburgh, Scotland--and you know that Scotland invented golf.  I NEED to listen, it's been beautiful lately, and so--well, the WoT is helping me swing away and get better!

Hi!! I'm in California but my niece lives in Scotland and works at the University of Edinburgh. She went to graduate school there and married a Scotsman.

Please come see us in the social groups. Just know that you can,t see all of the boards until you are a member.

Welcome!

Thanks everyone!

@Ryrin--I'm currently going for a PhD at the University of Edinburgh--Medieval Studies in College of Language, Literature, and Culture--what a coincidence!  What did your niece get up to?   

I think Mat would be proud of me because in my dissertation I've discovered a factor in Viking naval strategy--Vikings took advantage of famines, plagues, etc. to raid.

You are killing me!!! ? That’s really what I wanted to study but knew I’d need a doctorate and I didn’t want to write a dissertation! A masters thesis was enough.

She’s in her late 30’s. I believe her degrees are in anthropology. She was in Arizona for her BS. She spent an undergraduate and a post graduate year in China. Two masters in Edinburgh, I believe.

Hey, the Viking stuff is cool. Have you ever heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism? It’s worldwide. My husband chose Viking and I chose Roman. 

@Ryrin I hadn't but I've looked them up--they seem to be quite an organisation.  A PhD is a monumental task and a roller coaster. I'd warn people going after one that, however sharp and clear they think they've been, that they might have everything torn apart in front of them at the first meeting.  And it's not just hard work--it's an emotional journey just as much as it is a research project.  I discovered many things during my pilgrimage here and among them was that I'm not an academic.  But I'm holding it here at Tarwin's Gap until my victory--which will be SOOO satisfying. 

I'm a bit younger than your niece, although I did reach 30 eleven months ago.  Vikings--well, they're a category.

• 4 months later...
Guest MargeauAesSedai

Hello, 

My name is Margeau! I am an absolute NUT about wheel of time. I'm so in love with these books that I am not sure that I even want them to make  TV show about it... 

My favorite characters are Mat and Nyneave. I have a Mat tattoo that says "It's time to toss the dice" but in the old tongue and also old tongue lettering. It always takes me forever to explain it to people. I used to have one person in my life that I could talk to about Wheel of Time, but we broke up. So, I am very excited to be a part of this community! 

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

My name's Stephen and I've been meaning to sign up for a long time, but something always seems to get in the way.  I guess I'm signing up now, because I realize that with the upcoming series (whether it's a hit or a flop) the landscape of WoT is going to change.

People will be introduced to a story that has been an integral part of my life since I was  teenager, and they'll only know it through a visual format.  The people that are on this forum now all have their own ideas of what the characters look like, what channeling looks like, and what a Nynaeve "hair-pull" or "loud sniff" might look like.

WoT is deeply personal to each one of us here, and I just wanted to be a part of the community before it all changes forever!

Sooooo.... HELLO!

Hi, Stephen! Welcome to Dragonmount. I’m Ryrin, Captain General of the Green Ajah. Please visit the social groups. You can join as many as you wish. Just be aware that you are unable to see all of the boards unless you are a member.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Moiraine>Everybody

Howdi hey.
New member, old time reader. ? 

I started reading WoT in 1990 when I was 15. My friend's dad saw me reading Tad Williams (MST) and "loaned" me the "first part of a new trilogy". He never got it back as it was handed from person to person in my circle of friends and eventually fell to bits. 
Pretty sure I spent more time waiting for the books than actually reading them. ?

I'm super excited about the new TV series ?and wanted to get into some chat. Haven't been involved in online chat about this stuff since the dark days of ancient dial-up, text-only news groups (the horror). Hopefully folks are better behaved these days (although my expectations are low).

I'm pretty much a lurker but occasional will add a comment. 
This looks like a really good site and I look forward to some rewarding exchanges.

Cheers

Hook
(MIGTE)

4 hours ago, Moiraine>Everybody said:

I'm super excited about the new TV series ?and wanted to get into some chat. Haven't been involved in online chat about this stuff since the dark days of ancient dial-up, text-only news groups (the horror). Hopefully folks are better behaved these days (although my expectations are low).

Oh Lordy, yes - I remember those days! hehehe

Head on over to the White Tower & Warders Social Group, if you're looking for well behaved people. I haz a heavy hand *grins*