DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

Mangin's Hanging. It's a sad scene and it gets me every time. I still love how much it gets me, though.

Jalani put her plump face in at the door--Aiel seemed not to understand knocking--and said, "Mangin is here to speak with Rhuarc and you, Rand al'Thor."

"Tell him I'll be happy to talk with him later--" Rand got that far before Rhuarc broke in quietly.

"You should speak with him now, Rand al'Thor." The clan chief's face looked grave; Berelain had replaced the long paper on the table and was studying the floor.

"Very, well," Rand said slowly.

Jalani's head vanished, and Mangin came in. Taller that Rand, he had been one of those who crossed the Dragonwall in search of He Who Comes With the Dawn, one of the handful who took the Stone of Tear. "Six days ago I killed a man," he began without preamble, "a treekiller, and I must know if I have toh to you, Rand al'Thor."

"To me?" Rand said. "You can defend yourself, Mangin; Light, you know tha--" For a moment he was silent, meeting gray eyes that were sober but certainly not afraid. Curios, maybe. Rhuarc's face told him nothing; Berelain was still not meeting his gaze. "He did attack you, didn't he?"

Mangin shook his head slightly. "I saw that he deserved to die, so I killed him." He said it conversationally; he saw the drains needed cleaning, so he cleaned them. "But you have said we cannot kill the oathbreakers except in battle, or if they attack us. Do I have toh toward you now?"

Rand remembered what he had said.... him will I hang. His chest felt tight. "Why did he deserve to die?"

"He wore what he had no right to," Mangin replied.

"Wore what? What did he wear, Mangin?"

Rhuarc answered, touching his left forearm. "This." He meant the Dragon coiled around his arm. Clan chiefs did not display them often, or even speak of them; almost everything about the markings were shrouded in mystery, and the chiefs were content to leave it so. "It was a thing of needles and inks, of course." A tattoo.

"He was pretending to be a clan chief?" Rand realized he was searching for an excuse....him will i hang. Mangin had been one of the first to follow him.

"No," Mangin said. "He was drinking, and showing off what he should not have had. I see your eyes, Rand al'Thor." He grinned suddenly. "It is a puzzle. I was right to kill him, but now I have toh to you."

"You were wrong to kill him. You know the penalty for murder."

"A rope around the neck, as these wetlanders use." Manging nodded thoughtfully. "Tell me where and when; I will be there. May you find water and shade today, Rand al'Thor."

"May you find water and shade today, Mangin," Rand told him sadly.

So much happens in this passage. You can see how much ji'e'toh means to the Aiel since Mangin is willing to die to fulfill an obligation he does not understand. You can see how prepared the Aiel are to wake from the dream. And you can just feel Rand's heart break. On any rereads, any time I see Mangin, I get sad knowing his fate.

I'm going to be honest. On my last reread I had to skip this scene

Ya this part really effected me... I remember just finishing that chapter before bed and I couldnt sleep after..... it just kept playing over and over agian in my mind.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Perrin says they've caged shadowkiller and the wolves go nuts, and the rest of Dumai's wells

Mat eating mounds of food after he's healed from the dagger and then few chaps later when fighting galad n gawyn

When rand fights toram in CoS with cads, min, and friends watching, sweet

When mat kindnaps tuan..... and then the knife fight in KoD

For some reason, esp on re-read, when Perrin n Egwene hang out in the woods, make a fire, in tEotW after shadar logoth, before elyas finds them (I think thats the sequence) -- is really nice

Arrogant rand scenes r good too, thinking LoC when smashes mask of mirrors, and callandor / seanchan scene someone else mentioned in tPoD

Demandred and ishy / moridin (NOT ba'alzamon) screen time

I love much of the Far Madding scenes in Winter's Heart. Especially, when he kills Rochaid, first with the knuckles to the throat, a punch to the sternum and then with the other Ashaman's sword.

Far Madding all the way though the Cleansing is ace...

Agreed, and, you might like to know ;), it's the first place I like Cadsuane. HAHAHA! Seriously.

Wasn't my favorite scene, but was a scene that really stuck with me. In Eye of the World when Rand and Matt see the silver tower on the ship after getting out of Shadar Logoth. Did Robert Jordan plan out the entire series before starting it or something! That silver tower came back with a significant part in the 12 book! How could he have possibly planned that far ahead.

Wasn't my favorite scene, but was a scene that really stuck with me. In Eye of the World when Rand and Matt see the silver tower on the ship after getting out of Shadar Logoth. Did Robert Jordan plan out the entire series before starting it or something!

Yup. Proven by the fact that all the prophesies, Min's viewings, and subtle and not-so-subtle hints dropped in the first two books pretty much reveals 90% of whatever happens later. He also began planning the series in 1984, which is why he was able to get the first books out in such a short time.

I love it when RJ contrasts Rand's madness with his fear of going mad, along with his failing to realize that he is going mad.

For a long time Rand stood staring at nothing. No wonder those ancient queens had been staring at him; they knew what he was thinking when he did not himself. That sudden worm of worry that had gnawed at him unseen since he discovered his mother's real name. But Tigraine had not been related to Morgase. His mother had not been related to Elayne's mother. He was not related to....

"You're worse than a lecher," he said aloud, bitterly. "You're a fool and a..." He wished Lews Therin would speak, so he could say to himself,That is a madman; I am sane.

This scene is so great! And situations like this happen so often. Rand fails to see the symptoms of his insanity. The passage opens with the statement that Rand was just sitting in a room, staring at nothing, for a long time. That's a little bit indicative of a problem, don't you think?

After this, he hopes to hear Lews Therin rant and rave. He wants to hear a voice in his head, simply so he can argue that he is not mad. It is just so ironic, that I could scream with joy.

I love it when RJ contrasts Rand's madness with his fear of going mad, along with his failing to realize that he is going mad.

For a long time Rand stood staring at nothing. No wonder those ancient queens had been staring at him; they knew what he was thinking when he did not himself. That sudden worm of worry that had gnawed at him unseen since he discovered his mother's real name. But Tigraine had not been related to Morgase. His mother had not been related to Elayne's mother. He was not related to....

"You're worse than a lecher," he said aloud, bitterly. "You're a fool and a..." He wished Lews Therin would speak, so he could say to himself,That is a madman; I am sane.

This scene is so great! And situations like this happen so often. Rand fails to see the symptoms of his insanity. The passage opens with the statement that Rand was just sitting in a room, staring at nothing, for a long time. That's a little bit indicative of a problem, don't you think?

After this, he hopes to hear Lews Therin rant and rave. He wants to hear a voice in his head, simply so he can argue that he is not mad. It is just so ironic, that I could scream with joy.

Very good point. One of the things that RJ was sooooo good at was writing the slow descent of a good man under a myriad of pressures, the greatest of these his madness - and the subtlety of this transition in the inner POV of Rand was compelling beyond words.

Listening to the Audiobook of TGH yesterday, and I just got to the Portal Ptone mishap on the way to work

The alternative lives shown for Rand, and how some universal aspects of his fate were always the same in each thread...

" I have won again, Lews Therin..."

and the audible recording stepped it up a notch... excellent narrating, the way he accellerated as he repeated

flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker .... gave me chills.

My favorite moment was the reveal, in Sevanna's POV in "A Crown of Swords" that Dumai's Wells was a 3 sided battle.

Dumai's Wells.was described, in Lord of Chaos, as an assault by an army lead by Perrin Aybara on an alliance of Aes Sedai who captured Rand and the Shaido.

In Sevanna's POV on the Battle, we learn that the Shaido and the Aes Sedai were in fact enemies, not allies.

So at Dumai's wells, we had three armies, each army was fighting the other two.

The Shaido were fighting both Aes Sedai who captured Rand and Perrins army

Perrin's army was fighting both the Shaido and Aes Sedai who captured Rand

Aes Sedai who captured Rand were fighting both the Shaido and Perrin's army

As a finished reading Sevanna's POV, I wondered if there was ever a case in history, or in fiction, where there had been a 3 sided battle; in which you had three units who were all attacking the other two units. I couldn't think of one. The idea totally blew me away.

My favorite moment was the reveal, in Sevanna's POV in "A Crown of Swords" that Dumai's Wells was a 3 sided battle.

Dumai's Wells.was described, in Lord of Chaos, as an assault by an army lead by Perrin Aybara on an alliance of Aes Sedai who captured Rand and the Shaido.

In Sevanna's POV on the Battle, we learn that the Shaido and the Aes Sedai were in fact enemies, not allies.

As a finished reading Sevanna's POV, I wondered if there was ever a case in history, or in fiction, where there had been a 3 sided battle; in which you had three units who were all attacking the other two units. I couldn't think of one. The idea totally blew me away.

Yeah, that is an interesting take on the battle. You might want to add a 4th party: Ashaman.

But in the actual fighting, the Shaido were in the middle being attacked by Elaida's Aes Sedai and Perrin's army. Something like the French in Waterloo with the Brits and Prussians (not clear on whether the Prussians made it in time to fight or not). But in Dumai Wells, the Ashaman were the wild card that made the battle so chaotic. The Traveled and made a slaughter of a few thousand Shaido, and in the process took a few Tower Aes Sedai.

And as you said, the battle was so awesome if you look at what Perrin's army consisted of: Aiel, wetlanders, Aes Sedai, Wise Ones .... it was a huge cocktail.

Yeah, that is an interesting take on the battle. You might want to add a 4th party: Ashaman.

But in the actual fighting, the Shaido were in the middle being attacked by Elaida's Aes Sedai and Perrin's army. Something like the French in Waterloo with the Brits and Prussians (not clear on whether the Prussians made it in time to fight or not). But in Dumai Wells, the Ashaman were the wild card that made the battle so chaotic. The Traveled and made a slaughter of a few thousand Shaido, and in the process took a few Tower Aes Sedai.

And as you said, the battle was so awesome if you look at what Perrin's army consisted of: Aiel, wetlanders, Aes Sedai, Wise Ones .... it was a huge cocktail.

Yes the prussians did arrive at the battle on time, and had a greater part than most people realize, not least because it prevented Napoleon from using his full forces, much like Rand at the battle of Cairhien.

in recent books two scenes stand out in my mind. One was the coming of age scene on the top of watch tower. When I read it I thought RJ would have been proud to write that one and as it turned out it was written by RJ. Second was the scene with nynaeve and that Malkieri with hadori that was a very special scene too. It gives me goosebumps each time I read that scene.

in recent books two scenes stand out in my mind. One was the coming of age scene on the top of watch tower. When I read it I thought RJ would have been proud to write that one and as it turned out it was written by RJ. Second was the scene with nynaeve and that Malkieri with hadori that was a very special scene too. It gives me goosebumps each time I read that scene.

I agree that that scene was great, but at this point ive named over 10 scenes as my favorites, and everything on here is great. Someone needs to organize the great scenes by book. I would but Im not sure how to set something up like that.

Forgive me for not reading every comment in this ginormous thread, but a sequence that absolutely gives me the chills is the final battle in Crown of Swords, and the end when (forgive me if I butcher the quote) the Ashaman are yelling,

"KING OF THE WORLD!"

And Rand loves it...and you realize Rand is not a flawless hero incapable of falling in love with his own power. Oh man I gave mySELF chills just describing it again!

Archived