DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite obscure scenes.....

bjclinton

Hmm - don't know if this was mentioned already... I was just re-reading The Dragon Reborn. I love the part near the end, when the Stone of Tear is being overtaken, (at the end of the battle):

He raised Callandor over his head. Silver lightning crackled from the blade, jagged streaks arching toward the great dome above. "Stop!" he shouted. The fighting ceased; men stared at him in wonder, over black veils, from beneath the rims of round helmets. "I am Rand Al'Thor!" he called, so his voice rang throught the chamber. "I am the Dragon Reborn!"

I think I liked it because it was the first time Rand really declared he was the Dragon openly. It's such a simple scene, yet powerful.

Oh - forgot to mention. I also love it when Mat gets his hat!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scene where Nynaeve goes into the inn common room to convince former Malkier soldiers to seek out Lan and follow him to Tarmon's Gap.

I believe for the first time through her manipulation of Lan and forming the political will of nations versus individuals she has shown she is truly going to grow out of her childishness and become a powerful Aes Sedi.

I love all Mat's random flashbacks like the one where people were singing some song about an old battle and Mat's just like thats not how the battle went, i remember, i remember fighting a trolloc waste deep in a river with two arrows in my chest.

Or with Tuon in KoD where Tuon asks them where they were in the ruins and Mat just gets queasy when he remebers dieing. I wanted him to tell her what he remmebered to impress her, be like over there was a palace, orver there i danced, over there i died.

It's been about 6 months since my last reread so I don't remember which book but there was a scene where Rand is practicing the sword against 5 guys and when he finshes Bashere, who had been watching, asks him "why?" I don't remember Rand's exact reply but then Bashere suddenly throws a knife at him and Rand stops it in midair, proving Bashere's point. Pretty cool and gutsy move by Bashere.

I also really liked when Mat whips G & G.

"Now, that killed the goat," he said, and, spots still floating in his vision, he dropped down onto the nearest bed and pulled a surprised Joline across his lap.

About time Mat gave a little back to someone he saved from the leash.

The scene where Nynaeve goes into the inn common room to convince former Malkier soldiers to seek out Lan and follow him to Tarmon's Gap.

I believe for the first time through her manipulation of Lan and forming the political will of nations versus individuals she has shown she is truly going to grow out of her childishness and become a powerful Aes Sedi.

I LOVE that scene. It is definitely my favourite in all the books. Although I like it more for the soldiers' reactions rather than the fact Nyneave has "come of age". When they all stand up and start shouting about Malkier I actually felt shivers go down my spine and even (dare I say it) a tear in my eye!

• 2 weeks later...
It was the sword she touched' date=' not him, her hand closing around the hilt at the very top. Her fingers tightened and her eyes opened wide with surprise. “A shepherd from the Two Rivers,” she said softly, a whisper meant to be heard by all, “with a heron-mark sword.”

Those last few words acted on the chamber as if she had announced the Dark One. Leather and metal creaked behind Rand, boots scuffling on the marble tiles. From the corner of his eye he could see Tallanvor and another of the guardsmen backing away from him to gain room, hands on their swords, prepared to draw and, from their faces, prepared to die. In two quick strides Gareth Bryne was at the front of the dais, between Rand and the Queen. Even Gawayn put himself in front of Elayne, a worried look on his face and a hand on his dagger. Elayne herself looked at him as if she were seeing him for the first time.[/quote']

I love Rand's meeting with Elaida and Morgase. It's the first hint you have that he's a "bad man".

This is the second good scene to me after Moraine explains the name of Emonds Field to the villagers if front of the Winespring Inn.

Didn't read all the posts so if someone already put this don't lynch me. :wink:

Anyways it's the scene where Rand has one of the seals in his hand and Lews Therin takes over for a moment and he shouts some thing like BREAK IT. END IT NOW BREAK THE SEAL! or something like that..... I thought is was funny.

I have many as well.

Rand and Aviendha in the igloo is very memorable.

Matt realizing who The Daughter of the Nine Moons was.

When Egwene gets beat on a daily basis and then gets up and calmly wipes her tears and continues with general conversation. Priceless.

When Elayne gets drunk because of the pretty serving boy.

When Nynaeve and Lan are reunited and Nynaeve finally breaks her block

Egwene is named Amirlyn

Nynaneve heals Logain

Elyane and Aviendha become aiel sisters

Rand cleanses the source

I cried when Moiraine "died".

When Perrin rescues Faile and kills the aielman that had been protecting her. I was so pissed off!

When Mat is Queen Tylin's sex toy. Oh how ironic.

When Rand is attacked my the asha'man and later confronts Taim and kills one of the asha'man while cradling the asha'man to his breast. This scene also made me cry.

When Rand assigns Asmodean to be his banner man and Asmodean asks why and Rand's response is the best. "Because you are Chosen". That makes me crack up.

There are many more... but those are some of the favs.

I'm not sure if this counts as one scene, but my favorite part was before rand was kidnapped by AS in the lord of chaos, i think, when he was living in the palace with min, that she comes to him everyday, and he has to deal with the Wise Ones, and both AS parties from Salidar and the White Tower, but other than that, everything was peaceful. And Rand actually thought if he can live like this for the rest of his life, he would be content.

One of the best scenes which hasn't been named yet was the scene when Mat finds out that Egwene was Amyrlyn and he thinks she is just joking.

"When the poor blind fool they've chosen out for their Amyrlin gets here, I will do the talking. She can't be very bright, or they'd never have been able to shove her into the job."

I can't believe that I forgot ath one Mat!! I think the funny part was when he first came in and Egwene was sitting behind the Amyrlins desk... hehehe ahh I think that I am gonna go re-read that section.

I know this is not done, it is for the last book but one of the most interesting scenes to see will be the meeting between Rand, Mat if he's there and Egwene. All I can say is I think you'll need the bowl of the winds and a blizzard to cool down the atmosphere in that room or site.

As for other scenes already written, I like the Tylin-Mat thing, I think it is the Pattern's way of making Matt shape the hell up

Guest Wynne Jessal
When Egwene gets beat on a daily basis and then gets up and calmly wipes her tears and continues with general conversation. Priceless.

When was this?

I think people are losing track of the point of this thread. It's for "obscure" little scenes or moments in the book. Not all the major ones we all know about.

Like in my reread of ACoS' date=' I reached the part where Elayne confronts the Kin with her AS backing (which is great of itself), and then Mat barges in with the "maid" and she kicks him in the butt and then she's chasing him around Birgitte screaming for help.

Or in TFoH or LoC (forget which) when Avi comes storming out of Rand's rooms, and Liah is poking fun at her in Maiden Handtalk and things get heated, while the Aielman who was also standing guard is watching. He says something to the effect of "Now you stare at each other. One day I must learn this handtalk of yours." To which Liah replies "You will look pretty in a dress the day you show up to become a Maiden." Those Aiel POV snippets are always good fun. We don't get them often (discounting Rand) and they always very insightful.[/color']

I have a few...

One of my favorites (I always cry) is the scene with Elayne, Min and Aviendha bonding Rand, and all the women are surprised because they can feel his love for them. "Oh, the veins of gold!"

In CoT when Elayne unravels her gateway and it explodes, killing the Seanchan soldiers and damane, and then Elayne realizes Aviendha stayed even with the risk of being burned out. She kisses Aviendha on the cheek, which makes Aviendha blush like crazy, and Aviendha kisses her back. Elayne loves her as much for that as for staying.

When Rand says to Min, "I don't love the Maidens."

When Egwene says to Gawyn, "I love you, you sweet idiot."

Perrin trying to write a letter to Faile when he thinks he will be killed by the Trollocs in the Two Rivers.

The time Aviendha sits on Rand's clothes and he gets up and looks for them. Min holding out a towel after she and the Maidens take over Rand's bath. Or all the various parts of the book where Rand is naked and the women are having a good laugh at his expense while he searches for clothes or a towel...

My favorite scenes, which have already been mentioned, are Egwene in the Tower after her capture, when she is so strong-willed and amazing that everyone begins to see her as the true Amyrlin.

I LOVE that scene. It is definitely my favourite in all the books. Although I like it more for the soldiers' reactions rather than the fact Nyneave has "come of age". When they all stand up and start shouting about Malkier I actually felt shivers go down my spine and even (dare I say it) a tear in my eye!

Was that in KoD because I don't remember reading anything like that yet. I'm on the last few pages of CoT.

Guest Wynne Jessal

Oh, I thought of one.

In the Tower, when "Elmindreda" is embroidering and Gawyn and Galad come to talk to her. That scene is too funny. Especially at the end when...

"Do you know where they are, Min? Would you tell me if you did? Why are you hiding?"

"Because I drove two men mad with my beauty and cannot make up my mind," she told him acidly.

He gave a bitter half-laugh, then masked it with a grin. "Well, that at least I can believe." He chuckled, and stroked under her chin with a finger. "You are a very pretty girl, Elmindreda. A pretty, clever little girl."

She doubled a fist and tried to punch him in the eye, but he danced back, and she stumbled over her skirts and nearly fell. "You bloody ox of a thimble-brained man!" she growled.

"Such grace of movement, Elmindreda," he laughed. "Such a dulcet voice, as a nightingale, or a cooing dove of the evening. What man would not grow starry-eyed at the sight of Elmindreda?" The mirth slid away, and he faced her soberly. "If you learn anything, please tell me. Please? I will beg on my knees, Min."

Or, from TFoH, on a completely different Gawyn-note...

"Gawyn," Min began, "we —"

His sword was out of its scabbard, flicking back Siuan's hood, sharp edge laid against the side of her throat, all faster than Min could follow. Siuan's breath caught audibly, and she was still, looking up at him, outwardly as serene as though she yet wore the stole.

"Don't, Gawyn!" Min gasped. "You must not!" She took a step toward him, but he flung up his free hand without looking at her, and she stopped. He was as tight as coiled steel, ready to burst out in any direction. She noticed Leane had shifted her cloak to hide one hand and prayed the woman was not fool enough to draw her belt knife.

Gawyn studied Siuan's face, then slowly nodded. "It is you. I was not sure, but it is. This . . . disguise cannot —" He did not appear to move, but a sudden widening of Siuan's eyes spoke of a keen edge pressing harder. "Where are my sister and Egwene? What have you done with them?"

Ok, so im pretty new to this page. Well this is my first post. But anyways, i havent had time read all of your stories but do you guys remember the scene where Matt and Lan are in a tent where the aiel and Rand have been planning their attack. Matt speaks a little of the old tounge and lan asks what he would do in the same situation. In a few minutes Matt comes up with the same plan as most of the aiel leaders... Ahh classic!

Was that in KoD because I don't remember reading anything like that yet. I'm on the last few pages of CoT.

Yep, KoD - look out for it!

This is my first post to this board but one of my favorite obscure scenes is in tFoH where Lini is speaking with Morgase. I don't think it was posted yet but...

TFoH chapter: Memories

"The question is, is he as loyal as he seems, Lini? One faithfull guardsman, when every other loyal man in the palace has been sent away. Suddenly it seems to good to be true."

"He swore the new oath." Morgase opened her mouth, but Lini forestaled her "I saw him afterwards, alone behind the stables. That's how I knew who you meant; I found out his name. He did not see me. He was on his knees, tears streaming down his face. He alternated appologizing to you and repeating the old oath. Not just to 'the Queen of Andor,' but to 'Queen Morgase of Andor.' He swore in the old way, on his sword, slicing his arm to show he would shed his last drop before breaking it. I know a thing or two of men, girl. That one will follow you against an army with nothing but his bare hands."

Archived