DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite obscure scenes.....

bjclinton

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the scene where Tuon throws a cup at Mat after learning that she was labeled as a "theiving faithless servant". It was one of the few times that Mat had a come uppance against Tuon and caused Tuon to lose control.

I like any scene where Mat sees Olver flirting with women and muttering about finding "that uncle" who had been teaching him to flirt, never realizing that Olver was learning from Mat himself.

I like the scene where Mat bitchslapped the Sea Folks women.

I like the scene where DeathWatch Guard Karede did a Vader on one captain for some stupid mistake. That was so Vadersque.

I like the scene where thom walks into his room and finds moiraine there. Not sure which book as i dont have them here to check. He knows shes been looking through his stuff. I love the way they both play off each other and how you can see they both like and respect each other against their wills and try to hide it.Mind you i like any scene with moiraine in it, i think she works really well as a character.

Another scene that I noticed on my last read through happens during TDR. While on the chase for Rand Moiraine, Perrin and Co are in a small village. For one reason or another, I forget exactly why, Perrin angrily barges into Moiraine's room and catches her in a less than dressed state. The only thing Perrin can think of afterward is what a beautiful women Moiraine is. :D

I have two favorites:

The first is way back in tGH when they were about to depart on the great hunt. Suine comes to give them a little pep talk and Loial and the Sherians kneel when she approachs and Rand, Mat, and Perrin don't. Then the Keeper gives them a frosty look.

In a reread I was thinking, "that's right the taveran bow to no one!"

The second is in tFoH when Asmodean lectures Rand, as a teacher to a dense student, about overdrawing on the power. None of his prevous sniveling, then he notices Avi looking at him then he regains his snivelingness and says, "or so I've heard."

I have two scenes which i just read (currently re-reading Lord Of Chaos)

The first is the same time as Gandaals with Mat in Maerone but i like the part before he starts dancing with Betse an all the other commanders are sitting at the same table as mat killing themselves with laughter as Betse keeps talkin an not letting Mat get a word in!!!

The second is when Rand tries to tell a wetlander joke to the maidens an the don't get it. Then later on he says something else they think is a wetlander joke an one of the mothering maidens pats him an says that he wil have to explain it to them lol

I have sooo many favourite scenes I can't list them all, so i'll have to go with the top three...

Avi and Rand when Rand saves her and she says she can't run anymore :D

When Egwene confronts the hall in the World of Dreams (Tel... (sp)?) and instead of being brow beaten is summoned to Salidar to be named Amyrlin Seat!!

And last, when Mat reads the letter Moiraine wrote to Thom revealing that she wasn't really dead (calle dit in book 7 :D) and even mentions her feelings for Thom.

In the end, the romantic, comedic and speech scenes are my favs. BTW Great post idea!

during the bubble of evil in salidar, when nicola foretells the events which will occur after the last battle, and no one even notices. which you could probably tell from screen name.

when rand escapes from the box in LOC, and Lews Therin is raving about "severing all of them who had caged him" or in tPoD after Bashere orders the retreat, and Lews Therin gets superpissed and howls, "No one had ever defeated me, I am the LORD OF THE MORNING!" essentially anytime lews therin gets pissed and wants to kick ass but still sounds sane.

When Egwene meets Galad and Gawyn for the first time.

"Galad," she murmured. His dark eyes stared back into hers. He was older than she. Older than Rand. At the thought of Rand, she gave a start and came to herself.

"And I am Gawyn" - the other young man grinned - "since I don't think you heard the first time."

I like the scene before Mat and Rand go to Rhuidean where Mats pulls out all his daggers in front of the Wise Ones. lol

Oh yes, I forgot about that one! Its a fantastic scene, especially when he goes to stop, then shrugs and pulls out some more.

I seem to remember that the Wise ones viewed Mat with a mixture of surprise and grudging respect, in as much as Aiel can show expression.

My favorite obscure scene is when Elayne is in a hotel room after leaving Tarabon (I think??) and she is examining terangreal. She blacks out and comes to quite a while later. She doesn't remember anything, but everyone is smirking at her. When she asks what happened, no one will tell her! I think she was running around naked or something else even naughtier!!!!

Most of my favorite scenes involve Mat,.

The skirmish before the enter Shadar logoth and Mat starts using the Manetheren Battle cry and all the two rivers folk pitch in with thier own version.I like for the Hobbit like awakening. Push them far enough and you see what they are made of.

When Mat gets seperated from the SL Dagger and starts cursing the Aes Sedai in the Old tongue.

Mats beating several kinds of S**** out of Galad & Gawyn

And I dont know how popular this scene is but it is one of my favorites: in TDR Perrin walks into a Blacksmiths shop and starts helping out. It just seems to me that Perrin is feeling very flustered and confused having been dragged across half the continent and having Faile follow him around. It seems that Perrin finds himself in that scene.

And I dont know how popular this scene is but it is one of my favorites: in TDR Perrin walks into a Blacksmiths shop and starts helping out. It just seems to me that Perrin is feeling very flustered and confused having been dragged across half the continent and having Faile follow him around. It seems that Perrin finds himself in that scene.

Good call on that scene- a perfect example of a scene where RJ does a brilliant job of brining his characters to life!!

I have noticed we haven't stuck with only the completely obscure scenes so I will list a little of each.

First the obscure ones:

After Allana bonds Rand and then leaves, we go back to their POV. Verin has always seemed to know more than other Aes Sedai, but even she is shocked with how easily he slapped a shield on both of them while they were already holding the source. Actually, now that I think about it I really in that same chapter when Rand admits to girls from his own town that he is the Dragon Reborn.

Another somewhat obscure scene is when Nyn and Elaye are manipulating Mat's Ta'Veren ability to get a favorable deal with the Sea-Folk. Once Mat realizes it though it is funny how shocked the girls are that he not only succeeds but knows sea-folk customs and using the perfect phrasing for the bargain.

My favorite scene ever though, while less obscure is the conclusion to the trolloc attack on the stone of Tear when Rand tries to bring the little girl back to life. I honestly get a lump in my throat when I read it because it is so powerful. Moiraine begging him to stop, his desperation...and then the famous quote 'You are not the Creator'

My favorite overall scene has to be the Choedan Kal battle. I mean there will probably never be a movie but imagining the accessing and then the battle is really cool. Next has to be the battle of the two rivers. As someone said all the scenes involving Mat are REALLY fun, especially when Mat kicks the shit out of Galad and Gawyn when he is halfstarved and the scene in the WT when he stutters with Lanfear. An obscure favorite scene is when everyone is dancing in Berelon, I think, and the Moraine and Nyneave join in and the boys are terrible with them the first time. Sorry for being so longwinded but I have alot of favorites.

lol, someone's been having fun with the censoring software.

The scenes with Perrin in the blacksmith shop and Mat disarming himself before the Wise Ones are both great calls.

I love the scene on the boat as Mat escapes Tar Valon, when the captain becomes convinced Mat's some sort of Andoran 007. "I never heard Andor employed assassins, but burn my soul, he's a cold one." :D

Rand telling Moiraine, "Don't mention carts again, little sister."

In similar vein, Verin's and Alanna's shock when they find they can't control Rand, the Salidar embassy's shock when he shatters their Mirror of Mists, and the Aes Sedai disgruntlement when he writes Merana, "Do not press me again. I have little trust left in me."

Mat's annoyance and Tuon's amusement at Noal's interference in their game of stones. "Ooh, nice trap on the right, there, Mat!"

The scene when Rafela and Merana come back from the Sea Folk bargaining. First, Rand saying "Dobraine can stay", then the way he masters his fury and calmly accepts Merana's berating.

Guest Winespring Brother

I really like the bit in the Crown of Swords, where they row out to the Sea Folk boat, and we get Aviendha's perspective on everything. It always makes me laugh, especially when Nyneave says that bullying people into things just isn't the way to go :lol:

Archived