DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite obscure scenes.....

bjclinton

Lets face it- there are countless, great great scenes in every single book in the WoT. I'd be interesting in hearing what some of your favorites are. Personally, I have soooo many myself- too many to count, but I was just thinking of one that I really liked and thought I'd start off with this one:

Remember in The Great Hunt, where Rand was going to be meeting w/ the A.S. after Moiraine brought him to the White Tower? I really liked the part where Lan basically burst into Rand's room right before the meeting and, behind Moiraine's back, prepared Rand for the meeting, told him what to say, taught him how to salute as a Borderland Lord and basically gave him some of the best advise that anyone could have ever given him, given his current situation. I always saw that as a turning point in his relationship with Rand- the first of many brief, yet important and valuable pieces of advice that helped to shape Rand into the man that he was quickly forced to become. Without this conversation, I always wondered how his meeting would have gone and if Siuan would have had more control of Al'Thor.......

Anyway, thats mine! What other little obscure nuggets are you guys fans of???

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an excellent scene, and you are absolutely right that things would have been different if Siuan had been able to manipulate Rand early on.

My favorite bit part probably would have to be when Birgette goes drinking with Matt and then later describes him as having a "hollow leg and a hole in his boot". That's classic.

I only need to think of one sentence to get goosebumps again:

"The Light!" "The Light and Shinowa!"

The part where Ingtar 'confesses' to Rand and the way Rand seems to absolve his sins. Then Ingtars self-sacrifice. it's so strong and written beautifully!

"`The Light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand.' He touched Ingtar's shoulder. `The last embrace of the mother welcome you home'"

(from the Great Hunt - "To Come Out of the Shadow" ... how fitting)

Mik, I didn't think of the Ingtar confession as an actual confession, complete with Rand absolving him (I guess because I'm not Catholic). But now that you mention it, that sounds about right.

LTT, that was some of the most amazing display of power by two people we've seen yet. For some reason, I don't think Ishy and Rahvin count because they did battle a lot in the funky dream world. (On a side note, what are the theories about where/how Rand and Ishy fight in the first two books?)

You know a scene I just thought of? When Rand sneaks in to Camelyn as a beggar shows, I think, how human and frail Rand is. RJ has been building him up as this strong, stubborn, and powerful man, but in that moment, he is also a sick man just wanting to make things right.

I like the scene where Logain mentions that he has met Rand before, when he was going through Caemlyn in a cage, bound by the Aes Sedai.

It confirms that Rand's thoughts from that scene are correct, Logain was looking right at him. It also tells us that Logain has the talent for spotting Ta'varen. Lastly, it shows us that Logain knows Rand is the Dragon Reborn.

To me, that last point is the most important in understanding his character. Logain is generally a good person, who discovered he had power and thought that maybe he was the Dragon. But when he saw Rand, he knew Rand was the real deal and Logain understood his place.

For me, Logain is a strong and noble character. Unlike Taim, he believes that Rand is the Dragon Reborn and doesn't really believe he can usurp the title from him. However, he is still a noble, and still proud, and still has a level of alpha-male to his personality, which is why Rand and he clash.

that scene where logain sees rand in camelyn brings uop something for me. Cannon says about how Logain can see Ta'averen and knows rand is the Dragon Reborn but later on doesnt Logain say something about knowing when he saw Rand that he would cause more trouble the he, logain ever did?? If this is so dioes this mean he caqn read auras like min?? Remember everything is about balance. Mins female so wouldnt there be a male like her?

dicetosser1

that scene where logain sees rand in camelyn brings uop something for me. Cannon says about how Logain can see Ta'averen and knows rand is the Dragon Reborn but later on doesnt Logain say something about knowing when he saw Rand that he would cause more trouble the he' date=' logain ever did?? If this is so dioes this mean he caqn read auras like min?? Remember everything is about balance. Mins female so wouldnt there be a male like her?

dicetosser1[/quote']

I'm pretty certain he can see ta'veren, like Siuan.

"I saw the boy[Rand], you know, in the courtyard during the Welcome. It is one of my Talents, seeing ta'veren, and certainly not of much use. A tall boy, a fairly handsome young man. Not much different from any young man you might see in any town." She[siuan] paused to draw breath. "Moiraine, he blazed like the sun..."

-The Great Hunt, pg 68

Also, a male with Min's talent could be alive, but not be introduced into the books - he would likely hide, for fear of the Red Ajah. We haven't seen a female "sniffer" - remember Hurin, who could smell violence?. Nor a wolfsister for that matter to balance Perrin and Elyas.

An obscure scene in TSR that I enjoyed was a conversation between Rand and Egwene about Aiel taking the fifth from the Stone of Tear. At first Egwene questions whether Rand should've let them take what they did. Rand tries to explain and rather than admit she was wrong Egwene turns it around and replies "Just because a people's ways are different doesn’t mean they are wrong, Rand. You should know that".

I enjoyed the byplay but it's just another example of why I find Egwene a contemptible character.

Personally i like the scene just after Rand was stabbed by Taim... both the bit in the wagon when Min reveals what Rand did the last time he woke in a strange place surrounded by Aes Sedai, and the part where Amys, Cadsuane and Osan'gar are standing in a triangle around his bed. The description was awesome.

In fact i like most of the casual Cadsuane scenes. They're fun to watch.

Also, a male with Min's talent could be alive, but not be introduced into the books - he would likely hide, for fear of the Red Ajah. We haven't seen a female "sniffer" - remember Hurin, who could smell violence?. Nor a wolfsister for that matter to balance Perrin and Elyas.

RJ has said that wolfsisters do exist... or are at least just as possible as the male version. We simply have no encountered any.

In the Great Hunt, Lan gives Nynaeve the ring of Malkier kings and calls her mashiara. It was a really heartfelt moment for Nynaeve and then she turns around and finds Moiraine watching her.

"How long have you been there?" she demanded.

"Not long enough to hear anything I should not have." the Aes Sedai replied smoothly.

Lol :lol:

There are a number of scenes that i like. I like the scenes where Mat, Perrin and Rand all believe the others are far better with women, that always makes me laugh. One of my most favourite scenes is when Elayne is seducing Rand and Min and Aviendha have to divert Birgitte! LOL!!!

One stared fixedly at the floor; the other squeezed his eyes shut, and Perrin heard him praying under his breath.

"So am I loved," Rand said softly. He hardly sounded himself.

I don't remember that one, AdamusD. Which book is it in?

Luckers,

A little help here. You wrote:

Personally i like the scene just after Rand was stabbed by Taim... both the bit in the wagon when Min reveals what Rand did the last time he woke in a strange place surrounded by Aes Sedai, and the part where Amys, Cadsuane and Osan'gar are standing in a triangle around his bed. The description was awesome.

In fact i like most of the casual Cadsuane scenes. They're fun to watch.

I don't remember Rand being stabbed by Taim. Do you mean that blade master outside Cairhien? Also, the part where Amys, Cadsuane and Osan'gar are standing in a triangle around his bed, was that right after? Was Osan'gar the imposter Ashaman? Sorry, the parts you mentioned aren't coming back to me.

I like the scene where Mat's waiting for Rand to tell him that he's leaving. Mat's looking at the map, Amosdean's being depressing in the background and Lan comes in. Lan striks up a conversation about the coming battle and Mat just gets lost in the memories, and does't realize that he's giving things away. And afterward's Amosdean's giving him the look, cause he just got surprised.

I'm currently reading through the series again so I'll post any excellent obscure scene that I notice.

One scene involves Mat in Maerone about 150 pages into LoC. In a inn surrounded by his commanders in the Band he dances with a serving maid to music that disappeared two thousand years before the books. He drowns in the memories of being a tall nobleman from Coremanda dancing with emissary of the Sea Folk and gets lost in the dance.

Another not too long after is the scene where he meets Oliver. After beating up two hunters for the horn, who were threatening to kill Olver for sitting on their horse, he convinces Olver to go with Edorion and get a bath by saying:

"You smell bad, so Edorion here is going to take you to The Goldern Stag, where Mistress Daelvin is going to let you have a bath." The sulkiness on Olver's face grew. "If she says anything, you tell her I said you could have one. She can't stop you." Mat held in a grin at the boy's sudden stare; that would of spoiled it. Olver might not like the idea of a bath, but if someone might try to stop him from having one....

I love the chapter in KOD when Egwene gains the respect from the novices in the White Tower with the honey in the tea and the way they all stand up and treat her like the amyrlin. And all the seeds of doubt she's planted with the tower Aes Sedai, awesome and right under Elaida's nose!

Archived