DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Things You've Been Waiting For

Luckers

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gaidal IS elaynes unborn son...i know the timing is slightly off we think....but he specifically uses the word BOUND in mins viewing...

Gaidal is always ugly, and Rand and Elayne are both extremely good looking, it doesn't add up.

He could start out quite good -looking, and then get in a fight.. at which point Birgitte notices him; she does seem to like ugly men.

I'm just waiting to see her reaction to the new 'improved' Mat..

What I most want to see is unlikely, since it's the last book and there's not much time left for a whole lot of extra, given all that needs to happen, but what I would most like to see is some really great quiet character scenes. Like, some character reunions (like Rand/Moiraine), except that some time is really taken to have a good long conversation between them, and maybe other characters as well, etc. Or even some more low-key "everyday life" moments with some of the characters. I realize that this isn't really the time for that, but I really enjoyed that aspect of a lot of the books. RJ was really good at mixing action and high-powered events with those calmer, more thoughtful scenes to create great contrast. That, and I feel like Brandon has sort of rushed or not made enough of a deal out of a lot of the scenes where characters who haven't seen each other in a long time meet up again. The scene where Rand apologizes to Tam and cries felt REALLY chopped; I mean, it's like the last paragraph of a chapter. And the whole reveal/fallout of Morgase being recognized/etc. seemed very... underplayed. Not bad, I suppose, but I would have liked a lot more to have been made of it.

Minor stuff, really. Overall, I just want to read the book!

Yeah, some old-friends-fireplace-pipes-cordial-conversation scene is definetely needed. After all, love must rock :happy: And surely Rand would be now in much better disposition to help Loial complete his book. It don't want them- especially 3 ta'veren- to meet at SG for the first time, it would suck.

I can't get rid of the suspicion that Elayne will give birth around the time of TG, probably to Calian and Shivan, who we are told are heralds of a New Age. "Once for mourning, once for birth.." but the timing is difficult. But then someone on the Taim thread here mentioned vacuoles, and of course time runs differently in those.. Is Elayne going to get herself captured again? :rolleyes:

Lan...he may be honoring his lineage, in his 'last charge' but here's my beef. In the whole series, we haven't seen him do anything really....dumb. This thing he's got going on here is kind of atypical for him, even crazy, mourning, him. I feel like we're about to see something in the opening chapters of aMoL that make Rodel's little farmer/swap look like child's play. Lan isn't suicidal. He isn't, he isn't, he isn't! I don't think he'll need saving.

Lan...he may be honoring his lineage, in his 'last charge' but here's my beef. In the whole series, we haven't seen him do anything really....dumb. This thing he's got going on here is kind of atypical for him, even crazy, mourning, him. I feel like we're about to see something in the opening chapters of aMoL that make Rodel's little farmer/swap look like child's play. Lan isn't suicidal. He isn't, he isn't, he isn't! I don't think he'll need saving.

I don't know, his behavior in New Spring was pretty on track with his behavior riding for the Gap. The majority of the series he either had Moraine or Nyneave to keep him from what he sees as his duty - to go out swinging in the blight. He knows he needs to die to fulfill his duty and doesn't want to take a lot of other people with him.

I am still waiting to see how Moraine can possibly be useful in her current form. That angreal makes her stronger than she was before without it, but before she also had another angreal (what ever happened to that?). Perhaps she can light Rand's pipe?

5. The epilogue. It's pretty clear this is how it's going to end: Rand (switched into Mordin's body) -- see every damn prophesy of "two becoming one" and the dragon "standing above his grave and laughing"

Although the body swap theory certainly makes sense, and has a lot of evidence to back it up, I'd hardly say at this point that's the "clear" ending. Terez puts forth a very interesting (and in my opinion more satisfying) theory about Rand dying and being ripped from T'A'R which has just as much merit as the body swap, if not more, since removing someone from the world of dreams bodily has actual precedence in the series.

Also, I believe Rand standing on his own grave and laughing was fulfilled in TGS via Rand's epiphany in VoG (Dragonmount = Lews Therin's grave, therefore Rand's by the transitive property).

I am still waiting to see how Moraine can possibly be useful in her current form. That angreal makes her stronger than she was before without it, but before she also had another angreal (what ever happened to that?). Perhaps she can light Rand's pipe?

Strength in the power doesn't matter. That's one of the themes of the book.

Working together, skill and information does.

Everyone seems to be doing a mighty poor job of sharing information. They could have wrapped this up books ago if they had actually communicated for the greater good.

That is not a theme I noticed. I noticed they say that strength in the one power doesn't make much of a difference sometimes, but for the most part everything comes down to strength in the one power. Look at Rand's earlier fights:

1) Aginor vs. Rand - Rand had access to the Eye of the World

2) Ishamael vs. Rand (round 3) - Rand had Callandor

3) Asmodean vs. Rand - Rand used the element of surprise

4) Rahvin vs. Rand - Rand had an Angreal

I have yet to see a battle in the WoT series fought with the One Power where the victor's skill was the reason they won. All of the fights were won either with surprise, superior power, or other extenuating circumstances (such as Rand's refusal to kill women. The only thing that comes close that I can remember is when Rand fought Lanfear in the Stone of Tear and the staggering difference in knowledge was the reason. But I don't think that if Lanfear wasn't ridiculously strong herself that it would have worked (i.e. she might not have been able to sever his weaves in the first place).

I think in One Power battles if you are close in strength it can come down to skill, but unless one of them uses Balefire a match where one is much stronger than the other is pretty clear cut. The stronger you are in the One Power the more ways you can split your flows as well (or at least there is a correlation that is very apparent). Several Aes Sedai even say that a duel in the One Power is about the only way to discover who is stronger in the power.

When last we left Moghedien (practically), at the end of Winter's Heart--

"Strangely, she still felt no fear. She thought if she survived this, she would never feel fear again."

Flash forward to A Memory of Light. In the middle of a pitched battle, Nynaeve and co. come upon Moggy, who seems strangely intent.

"Don't worry, everyone," Nynaeve announces firmly. "I've beaten this one twice, and I can do it again. The Spider has always been the most cowardly of the Shadow's servants."

"Once that was so, Wisdom," Moghedien sneers. "Things have changed." And then she channels Air streaked with Earth and Fire, and a wicked gauntlet of the Power wraps her hand, a set of shredding claws of coruscating flame that flex langorously. And Nynaeve knows that this time their duel will be to the death, one way or another.

..I've been loving the parallels between Nynaeve and Moghedien on my recent re-read. They're natural arch-foes: the Shadow's biggest coward versus the Light's biggest self-doubter. Nynaeve has always been convinced that her fear was cowardice, while Moggy has been able to convince herself that her cowardice is shrewd self-preservation. That parallel,and their enmity as characters, both need satisfying resolution. I think it needs to end with Nynaeve finally using the Power to kill (as amazing as it seems, I don't think she ever has; for her it's the ultimate source of the potential for healing,and to use it to kill is close to perversion). Having crossed that rubicon, Nynaeve will dig deeper in herself than anyone thought possible in order to bring Healing to its greatest potential--perhaps creating a weave to restore life to one three days dead--?

Please correct me if I'm wrong about Nyn having never yet killed, if only to put paid to this fantasy scenario...I'm hoping for it far too much :)

She killed 3 fades in TDR using Balefire... not sure if this counts.

5. Rand surviving and dying of old age surrounded by grandchildren.

4. Some of the minor characters having a heroic death at TG and then finding themselves as new Heroes of the Horn.

3. Rand bowing before the Crystal Throne because he is being introduced to Mat's wife, not the Seanchan Empress.

2. Aviendha's vision not coming true.

1. Maybe a bit of fanfic here, but I am dying to see this:

Lan judged the remaining land carefully. Compared with the height of the sun, it would be about two day's march to meet an army of one-hundred thousand trollocs. His men, the last of the Malkieri, outnumbered five to one, would likely meet their end soon...at least, they could have one last meal, one last night to reminisce, one last night to share with their countrymen without a country. The trollocs might not stop. If they marched all night, they would meet early tomorrow morning, if not, tomorrow afternoon, but at least they would have tonight. Lan sighed, and tried to mask his sadness from the bond he shared with Nynaeve. He could feel her there, warmth, and passion, and pride, in the back of his head. He tried to stroke it, to stroke her.

Suddenly, a gateway formed in front of the camp. Men in black streamed through, forming neat ranks. Twenty Asha'man would help...fifty would make a battle of it...but they kept coming. After twenty minutes, Lan was staring at over five-hundred Asha'man, over half with the Dragon pin. The last man through before the gateway closed was short, but well-built, with thinning hair. He walked up to Lan, and said, "Do you remember me, Warder?"

Lan thought for a moment, and nodded. "Why are you here, Logain?"

Logain raised his arm, pulling a long string of knotted leather out of his belt pouch, then tied the hadori around his forehead. "Tai'shar Malkieri," he said, then with a wink, "On my mother's side."

Startled awake in her sleeping tent on the Fields of Merrilor, Nyneve felt a surge of emotion through the bond. At first, she thought she was too late, and perhaps Lan was dead. Suddenly, her eyes widened...it wasn't Lan's death she was feeling...it was his hope.

5. No chance.

4. Yes please!

3. Love it..

2. Yes please!

1. YES PLEASE!!!!

Lan is the Lt. Dan of this story... he's always known he must die to fulfill his destiny. Unfortunately, Bulen will rob him of his destiny by saving him from a charging wave of fades.

Years later, Lan will introduce Nyn and their children to Bulen and thank him for saving his life.

I want to see...

1. Rand and his 3 wives go on their Shanna'har while a thousand Tinkers sing "What the World Needs Now".
  2. Moirraine and Suian taken their husbands out to dinner, then go to powder their noses. They renew their Pillow relationship on the lounge sofa, leaving Gareth and Thom in a room together wondering what the heck is going on, while listening to a thousand tinkers sing "is Love sweet Love".
  3. Mat and Tuon go out to dinner, and Tuon learns she can channel when she balefires all the serving girls who wink at Mat, while the floor show of Tinkers sing "it's the only thing".
  4. Faile and Perrin arguing and slapping each other silly, while outside a bunch of tinkers sing "that there's just too little of".
  5. The Tinkers discover that the lost song goes like this: "Leather cords around their heads; these are Men, the Borderlands' best; a hundred thousand fades will flee; because these men wear the Hadori" (Semper Fi, Sgt Barry Sadler).
  6. Padan Fain meets Shaidar Haran (had to put one serious one in there, but we can still queue "Devil Went Down to Georgia").

Love the thought of Fain against SH.

I want to see the wolves in action. I think they will show up at the Gap (they have been heading towards the Blight since VoG) and save Lan's hide. Plus Borderlanders know wolves hate Trollocs.

Hopper as a HotH.

Verin's soul transmigrated by the DO for his own evil revenge only to have her stick to him again.

Tomas showing up and doing something cool.

More OP weapons!

Tuon channeling to save Mat.

Alanna doing something cool. Her character has just been in the way too much not to have a role to play.

Logain killing Taim(disguised as Rand) and taking control of the BT.

1. Moiraine and Siuan reunion.

Moiraine - "And what have you been up to?"

Siuan - "I have taken one of Morgases former lover to be my warder and husband. And you?"

Moiraine - "Oh, what a coinsidence. Me to..."

2. Randland ogier meeting seanchan ogier.

3. Graendal performing something great like becoming nae´blis or betraying the DO.

Solid. All three. :D

Yes. Very good. Especially Moiraine and Siuan.

• 2 weeks later...

3. Rand bowing before the Crystal Throne because he is being introduced to Mat's wife, not the Seanchan Empress.

Very clever and I thought it was a possibility for a moment. But I'm pretty sure the actual phrasing was that he would "kneel" before the crystal throne, not "bow". And I can't see the DR kneeling before someone as part of an introduction just because it's a friend's wife. Bow respectfully, yes. Kneel, not quite.

Unless Rand himself comes up with the same idea you did and figures it would make a great pun, so tries it out to see if it will satisfy the prophecy.

Ooh, or even more likely (considering their respective senses of humor) Min figures it out. Right at the moment that Mat is introducing Fortuona as his wife, Min has an epiphany and "stumbles" into Rand, putting her knee right into the back of his, causing him to "kneel". Then Min compliments Rand on being so polite, but explains how kneeling is unnecessary in this instance, it would be fine if you just bowed respectfully, calls him a sheepherder and apologizes to Fortuona for Rand not having been raised to know the proper protocols for simply meeting a friend's wife.

I would like to see:

- An Aes Sedai try the warder bond on a hero called by the HoV.

- Packs of Worms fighing in TG.

That would be interesting.

Worms??

I want the big reveal to happen that Lewis had a brother, he was away training hard to be an Aes Sedai as great as his Big Bro so he didnt get killed and after the breaking everyone assumed he was dead with the rest of the family. And whos going to remember the fogotten little brother of LTT thousands of years after the fact., and he got sealed in a stasis box before the breaking so he could help his brother during TG unlike before where he was still young and in training so they wouldnt let him fight :biggrin: .

The DO to win. That would be a twist.

Worms are Jumara, one of Aginor's creations, and are extremely dangerous. I imagine they're called like that because they look like giant worms.

Worms are the Larvae form of Aginors Creations. I want Lan to see one evolve into its real form :D

The hell dont i remember these! :egwene::dry: I blame you :tongue:

What is its real form?

:) http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Jumara_%28Shadowspawn%29

I want to see Lan's WTF face

Nyn's too if she's there.

I hope we get to hear a more personal description of what the Strike on Shayol Ghul was like. It could be easily accomplished with Rand Sedai, Moiraine Sedai and Nynaeve Sedai standing circled around Callandor at the entrance to the Stone of Tear with some others around. And Rand Sedai pipes in with "It is strange how this day is so alike to the day I struck at Shayol Ghul with the Hundred Companions.." and going into a little detail about the people, armies etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Rand Sedai is able to stare down Weiramon, and strike Torkumen insane when he's not even in the same room.. What effect will he have on:

a) One of the Forsaken

b) The Dark One Itself??

Very little. Those were weak willed petty dark friends.

The Forsaken and the Dark one are confident in their cause and victory. They might not like Zen rand much im sure. So it probably will just be increased hatred from them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for the Tam/Morgaise reunion.

Granted, the first meeting isn't documented explicitly in the series, but I think it did happen and there might be a nice reunion moment. It might clear up some of the story of Tam's life out of the Two Rivers.

When Rand was taken to Morgaise she said that she had an advantage over her advisers because she had heard the Two Rivers tongue, but that Elaida and Gareth had not. That suggests that she heard the dialect before she became Queen. That raises the question of how and when she had heard it. Few people except peddlers and merchants visit the Two Rivers and few people from the Two Rivers ever leave. Tam is the only person that we know to have left in the last thirty or so years. At Fal Dara Moraine says that she just recently learned Tam's history, and she mentions that he went to Caemlyn before going back to the Two Rivers. That would have made the timing just about right for him to have met Morgaise prior to becoming Queen. Tam may have been married at the time, so I doubt if there was a romantic relationship (on the other hand, we are talking about Morgaise, here). My guess is that Tam may have rescued her from one of the other houses during the succession or played some heroic role in her life that made him and his way of speech memorable.

If Morgaise had met Tam al'Thor, then it might give some insight about why Morgaise released Rand against the advice of her advisers. She might have recognized the name, and she probably would have known that Tam had a heron-marked sword and an out-land wife. That would have indicated to her that Rand was indeed telling the truth. Her stated rational of justice might have been part of the reason, but I don't think it was the whole reason.

Tam and Morgaise did briefly travel with Perrin following the rescue at Malden and they theoretically could have had their reunion then. However, I don't think they actually met during the time with Perrin. There were over a hundred thousand refugees, and it is clear that Tam stayed with the rescued refugees. He didn't even seem to have much to do with the Two Rivers camp because he was training refugees in combat. Morgaise may have heard the name and recognized it, but she was still traveling incognito. In fact, she might have avoided contact with Tam on purpose. Tam was already gone by the time Morgaise's true identity was revealed to Perrin's camp.

I am waiting for the Tam/Morgaise reunion.

Granted, the first meeting isn't documented explicitly in the series, but I think it did happen and there might be a nice reunion moment. It might clear up some of the story of Tam's life out of the Two Rivers.

When Rand was taken to Morgaise she said that she had an advantage over her advisers because she had heard the Two Rivers tongue, but that Elaida and Gareth had not. That suggests that she heard the dialect before she became Queen. That raises the question of how and when she had heard it. Few people except peddlers and merchants visit the Two Rivers and few people from the Two Rivers ever leave. Tam is the only person that we know to have left in the last thirty or so years. At Fal Dara Moraine says that she just recently learned Tam's history, and she mentions that he went to Caemlyn before going back to the Two Rivers. That would have made the timing just about right for him to have met Morgaise prior to becoming Queen. Tam may have been married at the time, so I doubt if there was a romantic relationship (on the other hand, we are talking about Morgaise, here). My guess is that Tam may have rescued her from one of the other houses during the succession or played some heroic role in her life that made him and his way of speech memorable.

If Morgaise had met Tam al'Thor, then it might give some insight about why Morgaise released Rand against the advice of her advisers. She might have recognized the name, and she probably would have known that Tam had a heron-marked sword and an out-land wife. That would have indicated to her that Rand was indeed telling the truth. Her stated rational of justice might have been part of the reason, but I don't think it was the whole reason.

Tam and Morgaise did briefly travel with Perrin following the rescue at Malden and they theoretically could have had their reunion then. However, I don't think they actually met during the time with Perrin. There were over a hundred thousand refugees, and it is clear that Tam stayed with the rescued refugees. He didn't even seem to have much to do with the Two Rivers camp because he was training refugees in combat. Morgaise may have heard the name and recognized it, but she was still traveling incognito. In fact, she might have avoided contact with Tam on purpose. Tam was already gone by the time Morgaise's true identity was revealed to Perrin's camp.

The Whitecloak War was in 957 NE, Morgase was 16 in 972 NE having only spent less than two years in Tar Valon. There is no way that Tam could have met her and made a lasting impression at that age. That only really leaves the time of the Aiel War for them to have met, but Morgase would have met him as Tam al'Thor, Second Captain of the Illian Companions, Blademaster and technically her subject. When Rand said his father's name, you'd think it would light a few bulbs.

It's very likely Morgase wasn't even in her mother's womb when Tam went to Illian. He had probably been with the Illian military for a couple of years before the Whitecloak War.

Archived