DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Things You've Been Waiting For

Luckers

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too. From what I understand from lurking here and some time back at RASFRJ (?) newsgroup, that decision will be RJ's wife and survivor Harriet's. Yet another reason to be nice to the lady, as if gratitude and civility weren't enough. I'll read whatever I can get in the WoT universe, frankly. Pour me another!

For now and most likely for good the decision has been made to not do any more books. BS made that very clear in recent interviews. The notes/outline for the main series were already far less than what most think and I for one was shocked at how much Brandon made up in order for the split to to work. Given the fact that it would be material made almost from scratch and RJ was very adamantly against anyone writing in his world not sure how it could be a good idea to do more.

I was working crazy hours in the summer so I apparently missed some info and posts like this one.

Where/when did this info about the notes and how much BS had to make up come about?

Hey Finnssss don't have time to do a search for it all now now but I'll find it for you. Just used this one on how much he created the other day so knew right where to find it...

Question

Did you have to invent any of it yourself, or did Jordan leave a lot of it for you?

Brandon Sanderson

He left some of it for me, and then I had to make the rest. As you're reading through the books, probably about half and half. Half will be stuff that he wrote notes on, half will be stuff that I wrote.

That was really eye opening for me. Given how the notes are far less robust for the other stuff it would not even really be RJ's stories anymore.

Me too. From what I understand from lurking here and some time back at RASFRJ (?) newsgroup, that decision will be RJ's wife and survivor Harriet's. Yet another reason to be nice to the lady, as if gratitude and civility weren't enough. I'll read whatever I can get in the WoT universe, frankly. Pour me another!

For now and most likely for good the decision has been made to not do any more books. BS made that very clear in recent interviews. The notes/outline for the main series were already far less than what most think and I for one was shocked at how much Brandon made up in order for the split to to work. Given the fact that it would be material made almost from scratch and RJ was very adamantly against anyone writing in his world not sure how it could be a good idea to do more.

I was working crazy hours in the summer so I apparently missed some info and posts like this one.

Where/when did this info about the notes and how much BS had to make up come about?

Hey Finnssss don't have time to do a search for it all now now but I'll find it for you. Just used this one on how much he created the other day so knew right where to find it...

Question

Did you have to invent any of it yourself, or did Jordan leave a lot of it for you?

Brandon Sanderson

He left some of it for me, and then I had to make the rest. As you're reading through the books, probably about half and half. Half will be stuff that he wrote notes on, half will be stuff that I wrote.

That was really eye opening for me. Given how the notes are far less robust for the other stuff it would not even really be RJ's stories anymore.

Ahh ok, I thought you had something new that I missed.

He has also said that there are detailed notes and even entire scenes already written by RJ on some things while at the same time, there would be single sentence points explaining where large story arcs were going but nothing on how they get there.

I think you're taking what he said there out of context. Looks more like he was saying that in some things he had detailed notes on an arc and the steps leading up to its resolution while at other times he's only had the resolution and had to come up with the steps himself.

That fits in a hell of a lot more with his other interviews on the subject.

Well we know with the prologue that the entire ToM Perrin/Slayer/Graendal arc was almost entirely Brandon

Exactly and what do you want to bet all the notes said was something along the lines of (if BS even had that much to work with):

*Perrin makes a hammer

*Perrin finally accepts his leadship role

*Perrin resolves his past with the Children while also incorporating Galad and the Children into his armies with the help of Morgase, who had to finally reveal herself

*That the battle with Slayer had to tie into the fall of Mesaana

*That Graendal will be punished for another failure

*Perrin's Ashaman figure out how to make power wrought weapons

*That Morgase marries Tallanvor

*Galad ends up with Berelain

*Byar is killed and then revealed to have been compulsed by Graendal

*Bornhald, the only person left that can reveal the truth about Perrin's family, joins Perrin

So on and so forth.

So while BS had very little to go on to resolve and tie in all these arcs, I personally think he did more than just a credible job.

No, Slayer was never supposed to appear. He was supposed to be hunting Rand.

The only notes RJ left would have been.

Perrin-Whitecloak thing

Perrin- accept wolf

Perrin leadership- Hammer

Berelain/Galad

Tallanvor Morgase

I am not commenting on the quality, just that he made up a WHOLE lot of story that wasn't in the notes.

Do we know that?

The last we heard of Slayer was back in WH and he was called off of hunting Fain to instead kill Rand to which he is called off and told to wait in trying again after only one attempt.

We don't hear anything about him again, except for the random killing of wolves in the dream until Moridin tells Graedal that she will have his services in ToM.

Perrin-Whitecloak thing

Perrin- accept wolf

Berelain/Galad

Tallanvor Morgase

I am not commenting on the quality, just that he made up a WHOLE lot of story that wasn't in the notes.

Again, we are both guessing here as to how many plot points were left for all these arcs but you have to agree that all these arcs DID have to be cleaned up and tied in. That wasnt going to happen in a chapter or two heh.

Hmmm, have you read the aMoL prologue? It is the sspoiler board, but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't.

But one particular scene was originally in RJ's aMoL prologue, so right after KoD.

I am not disagreeing, they did need to be finished, my point was that Brandon made up a larger part of the plot than people think. The notes were not as extensive as we were led to believe, entire sub-plots were devised by Brandon. I mean, of course he would not be changing really huge things, like how Rand defeats the Shadow, or killing major characters randomly, but RJ could well have had different plans for some of the plot. It's not like Brandon is just doing what RJ planned, he has made up a fair bit, for better or worse.

Do we know that?

The last we heard of Slayer was back in WH and he was called off of hunting Fain to instead kill Rand to which he is called off and told to wait in trying again after only one attempt.

We don't hear anything about him again, except for the random killing of wolves in the dream until Moridin tells Graedal that she will have his services in ToM.

Perrin-Whitecloak thing

Perrin- accept wolf

Berelain/Galad

Tallanvor Morgase

Again, we are both guessing here as to how many plot points were left for all these arcs but you have to agree that all these arcs DID have to be cleaned up and tied in. That wasnt going to happen in a chapter or two heh.

I think the Slayer bit comes from the Prologue - initially the three bits that RJ wrote (including the Slayer bit in aMOL) were to go in the same Prologue. This means that Slayer should have been hunting Rand.

Personally if all the notes said was:

Perrin reaches FoM

then I'm happy with the extra stuff - Perrin had a looooonnnnng way to go before he was a Leader. And cutting straight from rescuing Faile to being a true leader of men would have felt as false to me as his arc in ToM does to other people.

EDIT ninjad by Barid :(

Hmmm, have you read the aMoL prologue? It is the sspoiler board, but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't.

But one particular scene was originally in RJ's aMoL prologue, so right after KoD.

I assume you mean the Slayer scene where he's waiting.

I see where you're going and that is interesting.

So I'm assuming that you're implying that the part where Slayer is wincing over his stomach wound is the part that BS has to "add in the middle" because it wasn't supposed to be there in the first place?

It's a fair point for sure but I still feel all those plot lines still had to be cleared up and I was more than satisfied with the way they were cleaned up. Also, there's nothing to say that RJ wouldn't have had to do something similar to get there as well.

It wouldn't be the first tiem that RJ had something written that he had to change because of how he got there.

It was also my understanding that RJ's notes included different ways to clean up certain plot lines but hadn't committed to any yet.

We just don't know and won't untill/unless we get access to the notes ourselves.

Again, I was impressed with Perrin mostly in ToM, I am not saying that it is a bad thing, just that Sutts it correct and Brandon has made up a lot of things on his own (and again, as I said, for better or worse)

Was a generic response, I've seen a few people that aren't fans of the quality of BS's work say that the Perrin stuff is better than the rest :) There are also people that aren't fans of the quality of BS who have said it's filler that could be removed without rewrites.

I agree with Suttree, but think Finnssss phrases it closer to how I view it - ie the stuff he invented was to fill in the bit that takes a character from a to b. I suspect that the detail of the steps is closer to your interpretation though :)

Hey guys, it has been a while! But great to be back. Some things I am really looking forward too:

Perrin's hammer... I love the thing. Want to see it in action again!

Slayer... Always been one of my favorite characters. I want to know what his deal is, truly and completely!

Egwene... dying...

Mat... I am curious if he will be the bridge needed for Rand and Tuon? One of my pet theories is that The Prince of the Ravens is the commander of the Seanchan. That would be cool.

Black Tower epic destruction civil war deal. So. Pumped.

Logain.

That is all that I can think of. But I am sure more will come! Great to be back :)

I'm really waiting to see just how accurate the prophecies of the Seachan really are. It seems like Tuon knew about Rand losing his hand and then she knew something about the coming eyesight issues Rand would have. It seems they have some accurate prophecies but just how accurate will they really be?

Thats going to be a major thing I want to see unfold. I want to see what Rand is going to do once the truth about Taim is revealed and a majority of those in the Black Tower. Then that along with the attack on the White Tower may make him make difficult decisions, possibly resulting in him " kneeling " to the Empress. He will need the power of the Seachan if the White Tower is broken along with the Black Tower.

I also want to see if the last line of the book reads To Be Continued. Or even better, " I win again Lews Therin ".

Well, besides what everyone else has already said - Rand and Aviendha;s "reunion" :perrin: I thought it was their relationship arc in books 4-6 was the best of any couple the series and I look forward to them FINALLY getting it worked out. Im glad BS has given Avi screentime it seems she really fell off in RJs later books.

I'm waiting for Shaidar Haran to be revealed to be Asmodean. Either he is, and I'm right. Or he is not, and I've had both RJ and BS kill a crazy fan theory of mine. I never developed many.

[Edit, I just realized BS already did kill a fan theory. So... I guess if I'm wrong, I'm just WRONG, and derive no benefit.]

1. I want to see the white tower Aes Sedai as they are destroyed, I mean 85% death of the current Aes Sedai dead leader and all and the white tower as rubble, Tar Valon sacked and left in ruins.

2. Rand and Galod meeting and discussing the fact they are half brothers.

3. I know I touched on it on item 1 but Egwene utter destruction would be great.

4. A circle of 72 doing something awsome.

The Aiel create a rich and powerful nation in the lands taken back from the blight, after the last battle.

Gawyn putting on the Seanchan ring and saving the prissy Elaine, but dying a horrible but glorifying death.

Mat blowing the heck out of everything with the Seanchan channelers, the dragons, Ashaman,

Ashaman become Aes Sedai

Failes" father dies and Perrin is head of the Saldean Army

Lan takes back his native land with the help of the Aes Sedia after Rand reminds Egwene of the Aes Sedai's failure to the Malkieri.

Mat's steps into his roll as prince of ravens, beginning with killing general galgan

Lanfear is the one that will turn against the shadow after Rand saves her

1) Rand and Galad discussing Tigraine... wanted this ever since Rand realised while talking with Dylin.

2) Elayne to figure out how to create angrael and sa'angrael (this is a must I think as tbh I dont think shes put much effort into it, she gets her hands on Ter'angrael and within months makes one... in PoD she gets her hands on an angrael and then 4 books later? nope still nothing not a mention of failures or anything.)

3) Perrin/Faile to become the de-facto rulers of Saldaea

4) Seeing Egwene and Nynaeve's face when they realise that Mat is the sounder of the Horn of Valere and that they owe him a thank you for Falme as well.

5) Aviendha discussing her visions of the future with the Aiel and with Rand.

6) The wonder girls working out how to disable A'dam from a distance easily and totally, failing that i'd settle for an oath all female channelers take swearing that they will not channel if leashed with an A'dam.

7) Nynaeve healing Setalle. Really hope she does as I think this would have a profound effect on Tuon.

Time to take another swing at this. Reveals and mysteries, mostly. With some explanations and a few hopes.

I. Reveals and Mysteries

1. Who is Demandred?

2. What questions did Moiraine and Rand ask in Finnland, and what were Mo's other 2 wishes?

3. The Answer to Rand's question on how to win and survive the LB?

4. Where has Logain been?

II. Explanations

1. Why didn't Rand & Egwene do a better job helping/protecting the Borderlands?

2. Why didn't Rand & Egwene send any aid to Lan?

3. Why didn't Rand do anything about the BT earlier? All 3 seem more important that Arad Domoan or apologizing to Hurin.

III. Hopes

1. Someone on the side of the Light uses the fact that sul'dam can channel as an effective weapon against the Seanchan (and Tuon).

2. Aviendha saves the Aiel.

3. Lan and/or Nynaeve reclaim Malkier.

4. To see someone who has turned to the Shadow come back to the Light (sort of seen it with Ingtar), but I want a real conversion. We've had it quoted enough.

5. In a related manner, I'd like to see the 13x13 trick undone. I think or the undoing of the 13x13 trick. Poor Tarna.

6. The idea that males can heal females to full strength, and vice versa, becomes widely known, and Siuan and Leanne regain full strength. And maybe Moiraine, too.

7. The WT gets it's act together. Becomes less isolationist. Forgoes the 3 Oaths. Allow AS to marry and have children. Merge with the Asha'man. And implement Nynaeve's suggestions on the test.

8. We find out how AS became AS in the Age of Legends. Tell us, Rand Sedai.

9. Some of the Amayar have been saved.

10. Tuon finally comes to her senses, if indeed she has any. She's the last main character still acting like an idiot (maybe Elayne). Even Gawyn has made progress by this point.

Ummmm.. On no7, Aes Sedai are already allowed to marry and have kids. It has been made very, very clear throughout the series.

4) Seeing Egwene and Nynaeve's face when they realise that Mat is the sounder of the Horn of Valere and that they owe him a thank you for Falme as well.

They know he is. Moiraine mentioned it at the end of tDR in front of the girls and Rhuarc.

Really? in tCoS they did not know because Birgitta mentioned the fact that he was keeping secrets about him being the horn sounder, might just be a mishap in the text.

Archived