DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite chapter in the ENTIRE SERIES

KefkaPalazzo

The Tower of G chapters in ToM were my favorite

close seconds

Fain in the epilogue of ToM (i love anything Fain)

the Cleansing

defense of Maradon

Perrin destroys the dreamspike

honorary

Rand gets attacked by 100,000 trollocs and Lews yelling about not being able to use his hands

(don't remember chapter titles and dno't have books on me)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples First

Excellent kickoff to a long awaited next book

Favorite moment of the series though is when Mat's like "noone said we couldn't blow the horn before the last battle right? Im doin it!" I still break out in embarrassing peals of laughter at work from that one.

Edited by Chinnma

My favorite scene is with the Malkieri merchants when Nynaeve shows up and convinces them to join lan.

That is the other one I was gonna include "The Golden Crane." Great. It got to me, but I figured it was mostly a personal thing.

I was in the military, and when I left all of my officers were kinda surprised, not unhappy, but surprised, and asked why, and I said "Because I'm the Worst kinda Marine. A true believer." and I left on my own terms fighting tears the whole time. when reading "The golden crane" I sorta had a feeling that I was being called back rather than being allowed to walk away.

It gets you right there, like a knife.

I served in the IDF. Never made a connection between that scene and my service before. However, thinking on it now it seems to eerily mirror the motivations that made me as an American volunteer in Israel. I had always liked it because Nynaeve had become one of my favorite characters and this scene cemented her at #1 for me. She is pretty much the only one that both accepted her new role while never once forgetting where she came from and what that meant.

This is all still true, however now I have something to think about.

Edited by meeker

My favorite scene is with the Malkieri merchants when Nynaeve shows up and convinces them to join lan.

That is the other one I was gonna include "The Golden Crane." Great. It got to me, but I figured it was mostly a personal thing.

I was in the military, and when I left all of my officers were kinda surprised, not unhappy, but surprised, and asked why, and I said "Because I'm the Worst kinda Marine. A true believer." and I left on my own terms fighting tears the whole time. when reading "The golden crane" I sorta had a feeling that I was being called back rather than being allowed to walk away.

I served in the IDF. Never made a connection between that scene and my service before. However, thinking on it now it seems to eerily mirror the motivations that made me as an American volunteer in Israel. I had always liked it because Nynaeve had become one of my favorite characters and this scene cemented her at #1 for me. She is pretty much the only one that both accepted her new role while never once forgetting where she came from and what that meant.

i know this is off topic but why did you serve in the IDF?

i know this is off topic but why did you serve in the IDF?

If you really want to know send me a PM...I am happy to discuss it but it tends to be a sensitive topic on all sides and I do not want to go into that here and risk ruining a good thread.

Edited by meeker

As people have already said, there are many great moments.

-Veins of Gold

-Dumanis Wells

-TEOTW Prologue

-TOM - The triple fight at the White Tower - Perrin v. Slayer, Eugwene v. Forsaken, & Ghalad v the three Seanchen dudes.

-The Cleasing

But what hasnt been mentioned yet was early on in TEOTW (Tellings of the Wheel) where Moiraine speaks about the fall of Manetheren. It's only a page and a half, but very moving.

long time without posting(pc blew up), but during a recent reread i THINK, in seeds of shadow(tSR), min sees elaida with an a'dam on her neck. ".. and another, crossing the corridor ahead of Min and her guide, seemed for most of those few strides to wear a silver collar around her neck." followed a few pages later by elaida hanging around outside the amyrlins study thinking about min, and the 3 ta'veren etc. so we have the last aes sedai seen before entering the offices, and one Elaida eavedropping on Min and Gawyn immediately after(in WoT time, not Page time). anyway, this became one of my top chapters after reading the assault on TV last book. and it has Min in a dress, whats not to like.

One of the lesser known chapters but still extremely moving to me is Something Flickers in CoT, when Mat has to order Renna shot to save Tuon and Luca's show. Then when he gets back he finds it's all for nothing.

"My Lord?" Harnan said. He had an arrow nocked and his bow half raised. Gorderan held the heavy crossbow to his shoulder, a thick pointed bolt in place.

Mat felt something flicker and die inside him. He did not know what. Something. The dice rolled like thunder. "Shoot," he said.

He wanted to close his eyes. The crossbow snapped; the bolt made a black streak through the air. Renna slammed forward when it hit her back. She almost managed to push herself erect against the bay's back when Harnan's arrow took her.

Slowly, she toppled from the horse, sliding down the slope, rolling, bouncing off saplings, tumbling faster and faster until she splashed into the stream. For a moment, she floated facedown against the bank, and then the current caught her and pulled her away, skirts billowing up on the water. Slowly she drifted toward the Elbar. Maybe, eventually, she would reach the sea. And that made three. It hardly seemed to matter that the dice had stopped. That made three. Never again, he thought as Renna floated out of sight around a bend. If I die for it, never again.

And previously in the chapter he had been lamenting about killing Melindrah and leaving Tylin to die. Very sad :(

1. Dumais Wells - Too Badass and pivital to not be #1

2. A Making - I can't put the words to it, other than I have never felt such connection to a chacter as much as when Perrin swung his hammer to imprint the image of Hopper on his new hammer.

3. Six Stories - Mat at his most heroic awesomeness

4-10 All the top Mat Chapters - Did I mention Mat is awesome

• 7 years later...
On 1/15/2011 at 8:00 AM, cgk84 said:

I quite liked the early chapter in the Eye of the World when Rand and Tam's home is attacked and Rand drags a wounded Tam through the forest. So many tantalising teasers from Tam in his fever! So many nuggets that made me go "oooooh what's that about?!".

I love those scenes as well. What's amazing about them is how well the background holds up to scrutiny even with the benefit of multiple re-reads of the entire series. I'd love to know how much Robert Jordan had figured out in advance and how much is just down to exceptional note taking and organisation. I suspect both to be honest.

• 9 months later...

I think somebody already mentioned it - the scene I loved most by far in the whole books is the one in which Moraine tells the Edmonds Field folks about the "Fall of Manetheren". It is so short, but I don't know, somehow this text touched my heart. I re-read it countless times.

2nd scene I love most is the one in which Rand & Moridin were sitting in front of the strange chimeny and having their chat about live, times, creators, dark ones and so on. As often in fantasy stories (not in real life though!) I favor the villains as they are usually more interestingly written than the heroes. This is not the case for each and every villain in WOT, but for me Ishy/Moridin was actually next to Rand the most intersting character in the whole series and this POV gave an opportunity to get to know him a bit better.

3rd scene: TEOTW - prologue - intriguing start of the whole story

Other scenes which were awsome were already mentioned as Tam/Rand's walk to Edmonds Field in the middle of the night at the very beginning of the story, Rand getting to know Tam, Dumai's Wells, The Cleansing, The last thing that could be done, Veins of Gold...

Unfortunatly - but this is just my personal taste - Memory of Light could not provide a scene matching the ones already mentioned which was a bit disappointing to me. But well, the are so many more WOT books, that I survived it.

Edited by Terova
Correction of spelling

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite chapter would be the Trolloc raid on the Stone in TSR.

I know it's not the best part of the story, but I started the series with a copy of TSR someone left on a take a book/leave a book table, and that was where it started to get good for me. Before that it was just confusing, cause I didnt know what was going on, or weird like with the cards and axe and mirror, but that Trolloc raid chapter with its straight action let me see how enjoyable Jordan's writing could be when you aren't confused about everything.

I was just about ready to put the book back on the table before I got up to that.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, Terova said:

I think somebody already mentioned it - the scene I loved most by far in the whole books is the one in which Moraine tells the Edmonds Field folks about the "Fall of Manetheren". It is so short, but I don't know, somehow this text touched my heart. I re-read it countless times.

2nd scene I love most is the one in which Rand & Moridin were sitting in front of the strange chimeny and having their chat about live, times, creators, dark ones and so on. As often in fantasy stories (not in real life though!) I favor the villains as they are usually more interestingly written than the heroes. This is not the case for each and every villain in WOT, but for me Ishy/Moridin was actually next to Rand the most intersting character in the whole series and this POV gave an opportunity to get to know him a bit better.

3rd scene: TEOTW - prologue - intriguing start of the whole story

Other scenes which were awsome were already mentioned as Tam/Rand's walk to Edmonds Field in the middle of the night at the very beginning of the story, Rand getting to know Tam, Dumai's Wells, The Cleansing, The last thing that could be done, Veins of Gold...

Unfortunatly - but this is just my personal taste - Memory of Light could not provide a scene matching the ones already mentioned which was a bit disappointing to me. But well, the are so many more WOT books, that I survived it.

I liked Ishy/Moridin too! I like how Rand uses his former name Elan as well. He does the same with Lanfear.

17 hours ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

I liked Ishy/Moridin too! I like how Rand uses his former name Elan as well. He does the same with Lanfear.

Yes, that intrigued me as well. For me, Rand calling Moridin by his birth name and anyhow the whole style of their later conversations were kind of a proof of a closer relationship during "better" times, of which I would have been very interested to know more.

Taking into account that Lanfear was actually Rand's (Lew's) ex-girlfriend it would have been rather strange if he would not have called her by her first name. However, as we know that there are usually both partners responsible to a certain extend if a rekationship fails, the reasoning of why Lews dropped off Lanfear was always a bit "onesided" for me.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, Terova said:

Yes, that intrigued me as well. For me, Rand calling Moridin by his birth name and anyhow the whole style of their later conversations were kind of a proof of a closer relationship during "better" times, of which I would have been very interested to know more.

Taking into account that Lanfear was actually Rand's (Lew's) ex-girlfriend it would have been rather strange if he would not have called her by her first name. However, as we know that there are usually both partners responsible to a certain extend if a rekationship fails, the reasoning of why Lews dropped off Lanfear was always a bit "onesided" for me.

He left her for another woman but...all Lanfear wanted was power. Lew's didn't want that or her for that reason. She never cared for him as all she could see was the lust for more power.

1 hour ago, DemandredFO said:

Instead of wandering off on tangents that lead nowhere, I wish we knew more about Rand(Lews) and Demandred as that seems to me integral to what went on in the books. Another epic missing scene is Mat vs. Couladin

I wish we had more background on Lews and all of the Forsaken. He seemed to know them all on a personal level.

20 hours ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

He left her for another woman but...all Lanfear wanted was power. Lew's didn't want that or her for that reason. She never cared for him as all she could see was the lust for more power.

Well, the power issue is the reasoning of Lews to end the relationship - how much of this is true, how much of this is just made up to look better in front of friends, the new partner, the public, who knows? On the other side, Lanfear did not seem to accept Lews emding the relationship and started (?) to stalk him. All in all, I am sure it was maybe a passionate, but toxic relationship. However, it is finally all assumption as this is never really written about in the books, but although the topic is not too crucial for the story development, I would have liked to explore it a bit more, exactly because of this:

20 hours ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

I wish we had more background on Lews and all of the Forsaken. He seemed to know them all on a personal level.

And quite a lot of them detested him so much that they were ready to leave their ideals behind and pledge their souls to the shadow...

What must have happened that drives not only one, but several people to such a decision? In my believe the evil doings were far more evenly distributed among the acting cast, than widely acknowledged, but as it is never truely explored in the books, this opinion could also result from my strong liking of most of the forsaken (strictly literarily - I detest this behaviour (and much less) in real life!).

There are some dark grey shades in Rand's / Lew's character which distinguish him from his fellows in the light. For me, this has always been one of the reasons why I enjoyed Rand's story arcs much more than for example Perrin's or Mat's.

Like some powerful people in WOT and real life, he was probably one thing to the commoners and another thing entirely behind closed doors. Had RJ lived, we might've gotten a worse picture of Lews but the notes probably concentrated on more important stuff. Some of the foresaken probably switched sides and then realized they were in way over their heads but it was too late by then.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:49 AM, Terova said:

Of countless memorable chapters/scenes in the Wheel of Time-books (among them Dumai's Wells, the Cleansing, Egwene with the Sa'angreal at the White Tower attack, Moiraine vs Lanfear at the doorframe Ter'angreal to name a very few) the one with the 'Fall of Manetheren' is the one which touched me the most too.

It gives me shivers almost thinking of it even today, having read the books - and that chapter - many times over the years. I was in fact so emotional/moved by that scene/telling and Moiraine's words those many years ago (DM ca 1999) that I sat down with inspiration and a full heart and wrote/composed a poem in tribute of it (and of Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time) based on Moiraine's storytelling.  I have used this poem in character-RPs with my Warder-character Elessar at DM (usually performed by gleemen in my RPs).

Edited by Elessar

• 3 months later...