DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

What would happen if you balefired a gateway?

Also can cuellandar be detroyed by use of a gateway?

1. I think someone asked RJ this, and he said get a life haha. (or that may have been about balefiring yourself.)

To answer, I am not sure.

Two ways you can take this. That the gateway opens and you can balefire through it to wherever you want.

second, I dont think a gateway is actually a thread in the pattern. It bends/pokes a hole through the pattern. I dont think you can balefire it.

However, if you could (im not sure, have to ask someone else) id assume it works like any other balefired thing. Toast.

2. No, it just moves the gateway around the cuendillar

What would happen if you balefired a gateway?

Also can cuellandar be detroyed by use of a gateway?

1. I think someone asked RJ this, and he said get a life haha. (or that may have been about balefiring yourself.)

To answer, I am not sure.

Two ways you can take this. That the gateway opens and you can balefire through it to wherever you want.

second, I dont think a gateway is actually a thread in the pattern. It bends/pokes a hole through the pattern. I dont think you can balefire it.

However, if you could (im not sure, have to ask someone else) id assume it works like any other balefired thing. Toast.

2. No, it just moves the gateway around the cuendillar

Why don't they make cuendillar door frames and stick them in open gateways?

As you know Semirage claimed to know a lot about how the taint affected male channelers. How can she know that? I know she was a great healer but she was sealed before they all went mad. Has ishy done some field tests for her? I doubt that. Am not so sure if any Forsaken has mentioned they knew a lot about the ways but that is also post AoL right? So they cannot know a lot about that either. So is there a study in the bore? ;-)

She didn't need to have studied the Taint to be able to diagnose Rand's mental illness. The Taint itself is not a special type of madness, it is merely a catalyst that causes mental instability--the madness that results is entirely dependent on the predispositions of the individual--this is why we've seen every style of insanity under the sun, from Lews Therin's total break with reality, to Morr's reversion to a child-like state, to that poor man's hallucinations of spiders.

The Taint causes normal forms of insanity to manifest. Within the world of the Wheel the manifestation of a past life voice is a normal form of insanity, ergo Semirhage (or more accurately Graendal) was able to diagnose it with accuracy based purely on the symptoms alone. Knowledge of the Taint wasn't necessary.

Why don't they make cuendillar door frames and stick them in open gateways?

You mean to hold them open were someone trying to close them? It doesn't seem worth the effort.

Hey I just finished rereading tFoH and something I read was a little surprising that I hadn't noticed. After the Lanfear fight when Aviendha asks what happened? Rand says, "They are both gone. Lanfear is dead. And so is Moraine." Amys responds with, "You are a fool about this, About this and many other things."

Does this imply that Amys knows something about what happened to Moraine? Does she say anything about it in the next few books? I really don't remember the wise ones saying anything about possibly knowing more about what happened to Moraine, but has anyone else noticed anything?

I've not noticed anything. I did however note that passage. I think maybe Amys (among other things) was inferring that Rand might want to keep his yap shut sometimes, that he was jumping to a conclusion of really bad news without KNOWING positively. The Car of Corn needs to prop his folks up instead of bein' such a bummer all the time.

Hey I just finished rereading tFoH and something I read was a little surprising that I hadn't noticed. After the Lanfear fight when Aviendha asks what happened? Rand says, "They are both gone. Lanfear is dead. And so is Moraine." Amys responds with, "You are a fool about this, About this and many other things."

Does this imply that Amys knows something about what happened to Moraine? Does she say anything about it in the next few books? I really don't remember the wise ones saying anything about possibly knowing more about what happened to Moraine, but has anyone else noticed anything?

Well, its entirely possible that Amys is smart and actually believes that falling through the doorway doesnt automatically make that person dead (basically what alot of readers thought too, myself included.) Or she saw something in her dreams to do with Moiraine. or Lanfear.

Yeah, I used to think she somehow knew that Moiraine had survived, or that it was possible, but I doubt it.

1. If Moiraine had told her and said not to tell Rand, she wouldnt have said anything. She wouldnt bring up the secret that she meant to keep, she would have jsut stayed silent.

2. If she somehow thought that Moiraine could be alive, she would have elaborated, if not at that time, at one point later in the books. Of course, she may not have wanted to give Rand any false hopes. In which case, the same as 1. she would not have said anything in the first place. She would have kept silent.

If I remember correctly, Moiraine had inklings of his relationship (such that it was) with Lanfear. If she told some of it to the WO, Amys could also be referring to the fact that Rand's blundering cost Moiraine her life. I like Luckers's suggestion better, though.

I'd guess Amys belongs to the "show me the corpse" school, especially when it comes to AS and Forsaken.

Rand had some reason to assume Moiraine was dead (Lan's bond had snapped) but none really to assume Lanfear was dead.

Amys would not necessarily even have known about the bond mechanics.

I just finished rereading LOC and realized that Elayne and Nynaeve each take a dream ter'angreal with them and that one of them is the original ring. I think in TGS when Sheriam steals the rings doesn't Egwene think the original was stolen at the same time? When did it get back to the rebel camp? Also, I remember Elayne having trouble using it after she got pregnant, but what happened to the other one? Did Nynaeve take it with her?

I know a lot of questions, but am I just forgetting or should the original not have been with the rebel Aes Sedai?

In tGS (I think at least) one of the sul'dam try to kill Leilwin and run off - and then Mat runs after her and we see her got shot. Is this the same sul'dam that trains Egwene in tGH? or is it the one that Nyn and Elayne capture in order to free Egwene?

yes, Renna was the one that trained Egwene. Seta was the one they captured and collared to get up to her room. Renna was shot at the end of CoT and Mat decided he'd never kill a woman again.

Edited by Sid

If Warders :lan: :lan: are called Gaidin, will Birgitte :birgitte: be called Gaidar?

*** runs for cover ****

ah gees, watch Brandon read this idea and RUN WITH IT :aessedai:

Depending on how it's pronounced, "gaidar" would mean either "traitor" (emphasis on "ah") or "lizard" (emphasis on "i") in about a dozen Asian languages.

Slayer background/confirmation

Who exactly is Luc and Isam? Luc is Lan's uncle right? How was he involved with the whole destruction of Malkier thing? Not good with names, but I seem to remember, possibly, that his mother convinced his father (king's brother) to go into the Blight, and he died there, and Luc was their son. What happened to the mother? Or am I completely off base with this one? And he looks a lot like Lan.

And Isam is somehow related to Rand right? Was Isam a channeler? I mean a male Aiel in the Blight says Channeler to me at least. Or am I missing something? What's his background?

They somehow meet in the Blight, fight, and merge...somehow. He can also change identities when going in/out of TAR. Luc hates wolves. Am I missing anything else?