DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Question unrelated to above discussion. Possibly also somewhat morbid. My google-fu has failed me. I've been looking for some kind of body count of how many people (human or near-human) that the WoT characters have killed, directly and indirectly. Particularly interested in seeing where Egwene after tGS stands in comparison to Elayne and Nynaeve. I know there must be some number-crunching fan who has already created a master list of this.

Can't be done. Most have several scenes where there is no body count. Egwene at Carhein, in the WT for instance. Elayne unravelling the Gateway at the farm in Ebou Dar. Mat in several battles including off-stage. Rand ditto. Perrin ditto. Nynaeve has the lowest body count since she's never actually been involved in a serious battle where she used OP to kill.

Oh, and do we know if balefire affects the history of inanimate objects?
It affected the history of Nynaeve's boat when Moghedien balefired a hole in it. It was suddenly on the bottom of the river, having been filling up with water for quite some time.

This has always felt like a fuzzy area in the mechanics of balefire to me though. Why not just balefire murder weapons, like you said?

Edited by Morsker

Answering Both your questions.

1. We do not know. Perrin's timeline in ToM is behind Rand at the end of tGS. The first few chapters of Perrin/Galad will be before the VoG scene.

2. I dont know if there is a quote confirming this 100%, but yes, the person would come back to life.

Brandon states this:

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Borders Dallas 14 November 2009 - Claireducky reporting

Brandon: Everything has a thread, not just souls. Even a stone in a wall has a thread in the Pattern.

Balefire is the act of burning away threads in the pattern as if they didnt exist for a certain amount of time.

Therefore, if you balefired the dagger, it would cease to exist before the stabbing (if you burn it back that far) and yes, the person will be alive again.

Do the Seanchan have any more of those Domination Bands, did Semirhage take all of them, or do we just not know?
If Semirhage took all, some damane might be able to copy from memory.

Do we know how and why Perrin met up with Galad in tGS?
That would likely be covered in Towers of Midnight

Oh, and do we know if balefire affects the history of inanimate objects?
It affected the history of Nynaeve's boat when Moghedien balefired a hole in it. It was suddenly on the bottom of the river, having been filling up with water for quite some time.
That balefire seemed to also hit people.

Has there been any indication of the size of a stasis box?

I have pictured them to be the size of a footlocker or a fridge, at most. This is due to the fact that there don't seem to have been any outstanding number of things recovered from them (at least, not that I recall having been revealed). I originally thought them larger, until I realized that the Gholam could fit into virtually any container.

I have pictured them to be the size of a footlocker or a fridge, at most. This is due to the fact that there don't seem to have been any outstanding number of things recovered from them (at least, not that I recall having been revealed). I originally thought them larger, until I realized that the Gholam could fit into virtually any container.

It is unknown, of course. But Moridin has dozens of Zomaran, which are human-sized creatures. Aran'gar postulates that he found a stasis box filled with the things. (KoD ch3 At the Gardens)

It is unknown, of course. But Moridin has dozens of Zomaran, which are human-sized creatures. Aran'gar postulates that he found a stasis box filled with the things. (KoD ch3 At the Gardens)

Ah, I had forgotten about the Zomaran.

So presumably, they can be quite large, unless they posses some manner of space-bending qualities of which we would have no knowledge...

Edited by Xader

Question: In WH a man channels in Far Madding and the ter'angreal "moves" to show his location. | never understood that part because no one can channel there so how is it that the ter'angreal move to show them? I understand when Nyn uses her well and it shows up but I don't understand when it showed a man. I remember something about it changing colour to show it if it is a man or a woman and there is definately something about a man channeling. Could someone clear this up for me? Am I crazy and just messed this up completely. Thanks ya'll.

Question: In WH a man channels in Far Madding and the ter'angreal "moves" to show his location. | never understood that part because no one can channel there so how is it that the ter'angreal move to show them? I understand when Nyn uses her well and it shows up but I don't understand when it showed a man. I remember something about it changing colour to show it if it is a man or a woman and there is definately something about a man channeling. Could someone clear this up for me? Am I crazy and just messed this up completely. Thanks ya'll.

i always wondered about this...

I assumed they could sense channeling (immediately) outside the Guardian's stedding effect. After all, the council never panicked, and never bothered to see where the channeling occurred - in fact they say Asha'man are welcome inside the city, where they wouldn't be able to channel.

Which was why Nynaeve's channeling inside the city caused such a panic.

I've been paging through this thread trying to find unanswered questions to answer or mistakes to correct but there were just too many pages to read to do a complete list. Anyone who has an outstanding Simple Question is invited to repost it hereafter.

They studied vacoule in the Age of Legends, and the only time we see them in the series (that we know of) is when Moghedian is kept inside one after she is freed from the a'dam by Aran'gar.

I believe we see vacuole a number of times in the series. The earliest mention I can remember is in the prologue to tGH when a gathering of Darkfriends is introduced to the three ta'veren and given instructions about what to do.

Isn;t the sa'angreal that is more powerful than callendor the ring of the tamyrlin? Or am I mixing something up?

My questions: Was it ever figured out why taim uses the term "so-called aiel", and how he learned to ignore the heat?

We don't really know anything about that ring, it could be perfectly normal.

While usually Taim's use of such terms is taken as an indication of his association with Forsaken, it's possible that he heard about Aiel history from other source. That knowledge has had plenty of opportunity to become wide-spread.

does anyone think it possible Laras was once an Aes Sedi?

Judging by her reaction to being named 'Mistress of the Kitchens' I'd say she was never Aes Sedai. It's possible she was an initiate of the Tower though.

If you can get injured in Tel'aran'rhiod, how come you can't get healed?

You can, but the same there/not there effect that happens to items happens to people as well. So you get healed, and then the dreamworld forgets you were healed and you're injured again. Nynaeve healing Rand after he was injured by Rahvin, who'd gotten balefired and so the injuries on Rand should have dissapeared but didn't: Dreamworld lagging between what is there/not there.

Question: What caused the ripple of the world that happened during KoD?

Just reiterating my question. What was with the ripple that went over the world in KoD!?!?!?

we dont know. possible repercussion from rand balefiring graendal

hmm just had a bit of a look around, it's not specifically stated, just that it's linked to TG coming. Much before Rand Balefiring Grandael.