DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Question: What caused the ripple of the world that happened during KoD?

Just reiterating my question. What was with the ripple that went over the world in KoD!?!?!?

I always thought it was just one of the random bubbles of evil that had been popping up. Thoughts on another possibility prob have to go in the ToM spoiler thread.

I'm a bit confused on the Eye of the World.

It's a ter'angreal, or whatever, that AoL AS built that just happened to have the Horn and the Banner? Is it ever explained why these were put there? And what actually happened to the Eye after the whole battle scene, etc? Why is it gone?

@Lynander, you might want to start a thread on that one. You'll probably still be confused, at the end of it all, sometimes more, sometimes less. It really is a toss of the dice.

(This is all speculation) The eye might have been created to store the Banner and the Horn (Rand's visions in the Columns at Rhuidean). Or it might have been created to save Rand from channeling sickness. Or it might have been created to give Rand some extra time to escape from the taint. Or it might have been for resealing the Bore, and Rand is doomed without it. These are just my views, and there are as many views are there are Dragonmounters. Maybe :moirane: will have answers the next time we see her.

About the ripple in Knife of Dreams, there actually seemed to be 2. One Faile and some Shaido seen, the other in Perrin's camp.

Both seemed caused by the Dark One; exact cause unknown. I doubt miasma (bubbles of evil) since miasma seem to have a different effect and seem to last longer.

If you can get injured in Tel'aran'rhiod, how come you can't get healed?

You can, but the same there/not there effect that happens to items happens to people as well. So you get healed, and then the dreamworld forgets you were healed and you're injured again. Nynaeve healing Rand after he was injured by Rahvin, who'd gotten balefired and so the injuries on Rand should have dissapeared but didn't: Dreamworld lagging between what is there/not there.

That still doesn't explain why you can get injured but not healed. In the dream world you can get injured or even die, and that will stay with you even when you wake. Shouldn't healing be the same?

What was with the ripple that went over the world in KoD!?!?!?

I'm sure there are people who will debate this but it seems clear to me that the ripples are an affect of changes to the pattern perpetrated by ta'veren or, more likely, the Dark One. This is supported by paragraphs in the books which make it clear that the Dark One is striking not only at the world but at the pattern itself.

Imagine pulling a cloth taut and use something sharp to rip or cut at the centre. While you're ripping, the cloth vibrates sharply and when you make a hole the cloth pulls back away from the tear or hangs out lazily away from the plane.

You can, but the same there/not there effect that happens to items happens to people as well. So you get healed, and then the dreamworld forgets you were healed and you're injured again. Nynaeve healing Rand after he was injured by Rahvin, who'd gotten balefired and so the injuries on Rand should have dissapeared but didn't: Dreamworld lagging between what is there/not there.

That still doesn't explain why you can get injured but not healed. In the dream world you can get injured or even die, and that will stay with you even when you wake. Shouldn't healing be the same?

I believe there is some mention of the Aiel Dream walkers entering a person's dream to aid Healing.

As to why you can't get healed in TAR, maybe it's because pain and hurt are more real to the mind (even in our Age) than health and happiness.

Just like why there are more nightmares than there are Egwene's ponies walking around T'AR.

I believe there is some mention of the Aiel Dream walkers entering a person's dream to aid Healing.

As to why you can't get healed in TAR, maybe it's because pain and hurt are more real to the mind (even in our Age) than health and happiness.

Just like why there are more nightmares than there are Egwene's ponies walking around T'AR.

Can't remember the Dreamwalker business at all. In fact, IIRC, in TSR with every Aiel Dreamwalker present, Amys regretfully says to Mat post-Rhuidean that none of the DWs can do healing, though some other WOs can.

Again, IIRC, in TAR, we've seen few instances of healing. Egwene trying to soothe her lacerated bum in LoC, which would fall into the category of self-healing (impossible anyhow) and Nyn trying to help Rand after his scrap with Rahvin.

Is there any other instance of somebody onstage trying to heal an injury caused in TAR, within TAR itself?

Don't think so but that was what I was wondering.

And Val Mickey, I wasn't talking about getting healed by weaves in the Dream. Guess I should've explained it better.

If in the dream, I imagine up a dagger and stab somebody in the arm, they'd wake up with a dagger shaped hole in their arm. If that person then went back into the dream and I imagine up a wand that heals people, wave it over the guy and he heals up *IN THE DREAM*, what will happen when he wakes up? Will he still have the wound?

2 questions about Damane:

-How come Alivia was sent to fight against Asha'man when, if I understand correctly, the more powerful a damane the better her station in the Seanchan Empire (closer to the Empress??)? Why was she not with the high lady Suroth or even further, with Tuon or the Empress herself?

-Where do all those adam come from? Do some damane have a talent in making ter'angreal? Or were they all created by the time the Seanchan Empire was founded? In that case, how come they (who?) have made this many?

-Where do all those adam come from? Do some damane have a talent in making ter'angreal? Or were they all created by the time the Seanchan Empire was founded? In that case, how come they (who?) have made this many?

I imagine that yes, there are those in the empire capable of making T'A, and they produce new A'dam.

Though I see it as being similar to Suldam, in that the Seanchan know how to test for the ability, but not its ramifications. i.e. They know that a learner can become suldam, but not that they can learn to channel.

In turn, they can tell that a given damane can produce A'dam, but not that they can actually produce any, and all, ter'angreal.

The a'dam are the only ter'angreal the Seanchan actually make according to Brandon.

Damane are tested for their a'dam-making skills.

I think you're misreading the damane status thing. IIRC, damane who have some special talents like foretelling. skill in earth /metal weaves, etc, end up deployed with the Empress (MSLF) and the royal family. Pure power isn't the criteria - Alivia is basically a great killing machine.

Egwene's conversations in TGH with Bethamin, Seta, Renna may offer clues.

If in the dream, I imagine up a dagger and stab somebody in the arm, they'd wake up with a dagger shaped hole in their arm. If that person then went back into the dream and I imagine up a wand that heals people, wave it over the guy and he heals up *IN THE DREAM*, what will happen when he wakes up? Will he still have the wound?

Yes. A persons dream-body is their soul. It has entered TAR, and will leave. Whilst in TAR it can be affected--hurt, cut upon--by the matriel in TAR. This is the distinction I suspect your looking for. In injuring someone, the material that did the injury stays in TAR, and the injured thing, the soul, leaves. In healing someone you are adding to the soul from the material of the dream--the new healed skin is not the soul, it is a construct of the dream. And things of the dream cannot leave the dream except under very special circumstances.

Therefore woundings translate out of the dreams because they are the dream cutting something real--the damage is to the real thing, and thus leaves with it. Healings do not because they are adding to something real, and that addition cannot leave the dream.

This is all under the scope of 'imagining the cut on my arm is better', not healing with the One Power. I suspect, but am not sure since we have never seen it, that should a second dreamer heal an injury with the One Power that it would translate out of the Dream. I base this on the fact that Moghedien makes clear that the One Powers potency in the Dream--people aren't dreaming up the Power, they are actually accessing it.

Did that help at all? :)

Yup. "You must learn to find what you need to find and read what you see, to enter the dreams of another dose by in order to aid healing, to recognize those who are in the dream fully enough to harm you, to...”

Of course this isn't someone using the malleable nature of the Dream to construct a healing. It's one soul influencing another in order to help them heal.

-How come Alivia was sent to fight against Asha'man when, if I understand correctly, the more powerful a damane the better her station in the Seanchan Empire (closer to the Empress??)? Why was she not with the high lady Suroth or even further, with Tuon or the Empress herself?

Technically speaking, Alivia WAS with the Empress. The vast majority of the damane belong directly to the Crystal Throne, and certainly all those fighting with the Ever Victorious Army. Even Tuon only owned six damane, personally.

But your misunderstanding the way damane work. Strength doesn't equate standing. Damane have no standing. Strength equates usefulness. In terms of private ownership, it would drive Alivia's price up. But Alivia was not for sale (most damane are not). She therefore serves the Empire wherever the Empress cares for the Empire to be served by damane. I've no doubt the Empress had some talented, strong damane around her to serve as guards--but that Alivia was strong in no way means she'd immediately rise to stand near the Empress.

The Forsaken getting sealed away with the Dark One. Always seemed a little too lucky for me. Any quotes out there that set the record straight? "Yeah, the Light side totally lucked out on that one." or "The Dark One knew what was coming, and since it was obvious he wouldn´t turn the Dragon this time, he/she/it just wanted some generals safely tucked away to be used next time."

The Forsaken getting sealed away with the Dark One. Always seemed a little too lucky for me. Any quotes out there that set the record straight? "Yeah, the Light side totally lucked out on that one." or "The Dark One knew what was coming, and since it was obvious he wouldn´t turn the Dragon this time, he/she/it just wanted some generals safely tucked away to be used next time."

This is selection bias. The GLoD used to hold regular tea-parties. Only the 13 who happened to be visiting at the time and got sealed, are remembered. There were at least 29 FS, who had been allowed to use the TP, so quite a few of GLoD's favoured ones didn't get sealed. There were many more Darkside channelers as well. They died in the normal course of things.

Yes, there are a few passages in the books which explain that damane who can make a'dam recieve all kinds of special treatment.

The Forsaken getting sealed away with the Dark One. Always seemed a little too lucky for me. Any quotes out there that set the record straight?

Yes, there's a quote somewhere that confirms it was basically lucky timing. Someone found out there was a meeting going on and the Companions got there in time to seal most of them in. Knowing the Dark One, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he did plan it that way.

I'll see if I can find these quotes for you guys.

From The Strike at Shayol Ghul:

"Exactly what occured that day can never be known, only the results. Of the soldiers, not a single man or

woman returned to give any account. The seals were placed safely, without ripping open the Dark One's prison

as many opponents had feared. By chance, all thirteen of the Forsaken were at Shayol Ghul (perhaps

summonded for a conference with the Dark One?), and they were trapped in the sealing, thus decapitating at one

stroke the Shadow's leadership."

From the Big White Book:

"While the exact events of that day can never be known, some of the details have survived. The Dragon and his companions arrived at Shayol Ghul to discover an unexpected bonus: a gethering of the thirteen most powerful leaders of the Forsaken Aes Sedai was taking place at the Pit of Doom deep within the mountain at the same moment, perhaps summoned by the Dark One for a conference. [...] The strike trapped all the attending Forsaken within the sealing, thus removing with one stroke the shadow's touch and his leadership in this world. [...]"

Renna speaking to a newly-collared Egwene:

"Perhaps you will be one of those who has the ability to make a’dam. If so, you will be pampered, you may rest assured."