DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Slayer background/confirmation

Who exactly is Luc and Isam? Luc is Lan's uncle right? How was he involved with the whole destruction of Malkier thing? Not good with names, but I seem to remember, possibly, that his mother convinced his father (king's brother) to go into the Blight, and he died there, and Luc was their son. What happened to the mother? Or am I completely off base with this one? And he looks a lot like Lan.

And Isam is somehow related to Rand right? Was Isam a channeler? I mean a male Aiel in the Blight says Channeler to me at least. Or am I missing something? What's his background?

They somehow meet in the Blight, fight, and merge...somehow. He can also change identities when going in/out of TAR. Luc hates wolves. Am I missing anything else?

Luc is Rand's uncle. His mother's(tigraine) brother. He was sent to the blight when Tigraine went to the Aiel waste. He was to be Andor's first sword. Tigraine was Daughter Heir.

Isam is Lan's cousin. They betrayed Malkier to the Blight. Isam was raised in the blight. No idea what happened to his mother, probably dead.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

I mean a male Aiel in the Blight says Channeler to me at least. Or am I missing something? What's his background?

Neither Luc nor Isam are Aiel. They are respectively Andoran and Malkieri.

How was he involved with the whole destruction of Malkier thing

He wasn't directly involved with the Malkieri fall down, but his father betrayed Malkier, and his mother fled with Isam in the backgroung of Malkier, and then Malkier fell to the Shadow.

What was the message to Niall when he was murdered?

I'm not certain, but it was most likely that the Seanchan were planning an attack on Amadicia. At least, all of the other similar messages were about the Seanchan in Tarabon, Niall thought the message was gravely important, and the Seanchan attack not long after.

Why is Perrin called Sei'Cair by an Aiel?

"Cair" = golden (Cairhien, Al'cair Dal)

"Sei" = eyes (Seia Doon, sei'taer)

So Sei'Cair = Golden Eyes

What is Carridin searching for in Ebou Dar?

Again, not 100% sure. But I think Sammael told him to search for the angreal stash.

This may seem out of place, has the release of the Kindle version of the Towers of Midnight been delayed? I no longer see it listed when I do a search on Amazon. I just see the prologue offered.

Edited by bigWalt

Why do the Aes Sedai swear three oaths on the oath rod, instead of just swearing never to lie on the oath rod, and then saying "I will make no weapon....." since it is the same thing?

The Oaths are not a) objective and b) retroactive. By that, I mean that as long as the Aes Sedai believes she is telling the truth, she can say something. So if an Aes Sedai says, "I will make no weapon etc etc," the Oaths don't look into the future and say, "Aha, this woman is going to make a weapon etc etc on Taisham 11, 1004 NE, so it's a lie" and then stop her from getting the words out. As long as she believes that she won't violate her word, it's not a lie. Once the words are spoken, she can still change her mind and make the weapon, because nothing is physically binding her from making that weapon. The Oaths aren't going to prevent her from making a liar out of herself, because the words were true to her at the time they were spoken. Hope that's clear.

Indeed, Hybrid is correct--this is the reason Elaida was able to say she would do as she was told and then later not do as she was told. Whilst things spoken by someone bound to the truth have an influence, they are not 100% binding in the way something sworn on the Oath Rod is.

Additionally, why wouldn't they swear all three? They knew nothing of the negative effects, so simple human melodrama would direct them to use the Oath Rod for all three in the ceremony of gaining the shawl.

Two small questions.

The first being, does Rand know the Elayne is pregnant? I can't remember if I've read anything that indicates he's been told, or that he managed to find out.

The second is this: didn't Mat mention the letter to Tom all the way back while they were in Salidar. I think there was a comment about rescueing a women and leaving her to get her head cut off. I don't remember the exact words. Was it before Tom read the letter?

Two small questions.

The first being, does Rand know the Elayne is pregnant? I can't remember if I've read anything that indicates he's been told, or that he managed to find out.

The second is this: didn't Mat mention the letter to Tom all the way back while they were in Salidar. I think there was a comment about rescueing a women and leaving her to get her head cut off. I don't remember the exact words. Was it before Tom read the letter?

Avi may or may not have told him. He never refers to it in his PoV so he probably doesn't know since we'd expect him to be mildly gobsmacked (or LTT to yell his head off).

Mat gave Thom the letter in LoC. The letter specifically instructed Thom not to tell Mat anything about the contents until asked.

No. They have no knowledge of the exact location of the Warder. And the same with the beacon. so she could have felt they were roughly in the same direction, but no indication of where exactly they were one from the other. She could guess, but probably not more than that.

Let's see.

1) Lan is far to the south for several days.

2) Then in the morning, he Travels far to the west (a thing sure to be picked up, see Elayne whose Warder Travels even more).

3) Shortly after his moving, a huge amount of Saidar is being channeled. Guess what. In the same direction.

4) The channeling continues for all day. Lan is in the same direction, never moving.

5) The channeling is finished. Shortly after, Lan Travels far to the east.

It stretches credulity that she wouldn't make the connection. She might be masking the bond, but I believe she is concerned of him, his health, his whereabouts and I doubt she would do that.

It is debatable, as Egwene would have rediscovered Travelling wether or not Moggy had helped her. Cuendillar, ok. Eg had the strengh but not the technique. But the rest is Egwene only. She became a Dreamer, and strong with the Aiel, she became good at Daes Dae Mar first with Moiraine then with Siuan.

Yes, this means that (relative to Slayer) Lan is related to Rand.
uncle's cousin, cousin's nephew; not sure if either could be a relative.

Shouldn't Myrelle know that Lan was there at the Cleansing? (the impossibly strong beacon of saidar they experienced)
Myrelle I take was going to mention it to Egwene in a later scene; do not remember the exact scene.