DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

That is a very good question and it couls be possible I don't know

I also want to ask something don't know if it's a question or just curiosity......

In TSR (shadow rising) Rand sets a table and I think chairs on fire when Elayne and Egwene visit him

Then to put out the fire he draws it into the fire place, now Egw remembers that once heat gets drawn into something in can never be drawn back out,

What could the effects on the stone be? Could it weaken the stone? or stay hot forever? maybe the heat can spread?

Thoughts????

The resistance of the stone enables male chaneler to do that. They transfer the heat and then the stone is cooling on it's own. Like a bread you cook. You put it on the window after putting it out of the oven and then it cools.

I think Egwene said once it is drawn from something you have to dissipate it into something.

I'm not so sure but could be. Don't know how to quote so will be typing it out :P

"It was one of the warnings novices were given;never draw heat in.A flame could be extinguished using Air or Water, but using Fire to pull the heat away meant disaster with a flame of any size. It was not a matter of strength, so Sheriam had said; heat once taken in could not be gotten rif of,"

I don't know if it might be a difference between male and female channelers

Ok :)

It means that you can't take the heat out of somewhere when a female chaneller. This is how Egwene burned her arm IIRC. But Rand can do it by transfering the heat. I think it is indeed a difference between male and female.

here are the quotes

Rand’s face took on a pained expression. “I don’t know.” He sounded embarrassed. “When I want fire, for a lamp or a fireplace, I just make it, but I do not know how. I don’t really need to think to do things with fire.”

That almost stood to reason. Of the Five Powers, Fire and Earth had been strongest in men in the Age of Legends, and Air and Water in women;

This time it was Elayne who pressed him. “Do you know how you extinguished them? You seemed to think before they went out.”

“That I do remember, because I don’t believe I have ever done it before. I took in the heat from the tables and spread it into the stone of the fireplace; a fireplace wouldn’t even notice that much heat.”

Elayne gasped, unconsciously cradling her left arm for a moment, and Egwene winced in sympathy. She remembered when that arm had been a mass of blisters because the Daughter-Heir had done what Rand had just described, and with just the lamp in her room. Sheriam had threatened to let the blisters heal by themselves; she had not done it, but she had threatened. It was one of the warnings novices were given; never draw heat in. A flame could be extinguished using Air or Water, but using Fire to pull the heat away meant disaster with a flame of any size. It was not a matter of strength, so Sheriam had said; heat once taken in could not be gotten rid of, not by the strongest woman ever to come out of the White Tower. Women had actually burst into flame themselves that way. Women had burst into flame. Egwene drew a ragged breath.

“What’s the matter?” Rand asked.

“I think you just proved the difference to me.” She sighed.

“Oh. Does that mean you’re ready to give up?”

“No!” She tried to make her voice softer

It seems like that is the difference, as people have already said.

With men, some things are just done differently. Traveling for women is creating a similar place in the Pattern and weaving Spirit so that the intervening space is nonexistent. For men it's pulling the two places together and then using Spirit to bore a hole through the intervening space.

I think it's the same with Healing - some things are Healed differently with saidin then they are with saidar. And so it seems in this case, the method of extinguishing flames for me is to draw it into themselves and then distribute it somewhere. For women to smother it with Air or Water.

Trying to use the other genders' methods could be disastrous; Moghedien said that if a woman tried to Travel using the male method, she'd be sucked into the spaces between the Pattern and probably die. And Elayne proves that drawing in heat for women could result in bursting in flames or burning herself drastically.

He died at Caemlyn, not at Rhuidean, and since Rand balefire Rahvin, we assume that he's still linked to the Horn, since it's as if he never died at all. It's possible he's no longer linked to it by some twist of logic, but we have no real reason to think he isn't.

Didn't he die when the Finns hung him outside the doorway and rand, for lack of better description, gave him CPR?

Speaking of the Elayne chapter, I found some hypocrisy... right after Rand and Elayne kiss, she says to him, "I don't want to hear anything from you that you do not mean with your whole heart. Not now, not ever." But then, two days later, she sends him a letter about how much she hates him... any rational explanation for this? I'm not an Elayne hater, but this is pretty damning evidence.

hypocrisy? rational? Elayne?

Consider in KoD where she blames Rand for her mood swings, and in the same thought says she could have drunk the tea that would have prevented pregnancy, but she didn't want to prevent the pregnancy, but it's Rand's fault anyway.

Didn't he die when the Finns hung him outside the doorway and rand, for lack of better description, gave him CPR?

Nope. I believe RJ confirmed that Mat didn't die in Rhuidean, but I'm too lazy to find the quote atm. In any case, CPR doesn't heal dead guys. Nothing (that we know of) heals the dead, unless you count ripping Heroes out of Tel'aran'rhiod and balefire.

-----

Speaking of the Elayne chapter, I found some hypocrisy... right after Rand and Elayne kiss, she says to him, "I don't want to hear anything from you that you do not mean with your whole heart. Not now, not ever." But then, two days later, she sends him a letter about how much she hates him... any rational explanation for this?

Probably not.

I'm not an Elayne hater.

But you should be.

There IS no rational explanation for how women think. Read It-Learn It-Live It... Not one a man can understand at any rate. <_< Now consider wisely before you attempt a running jump right in the middle of my backside ladies. I possess the voice of experience, so I do and you KNOW I'm right :rolleyes:

And I beg your pardon Elayne haters but EVERY bloody woman in this tale does more or less the same thing throughout.

Just one example. In the Ways, on the trip to Fal Dara, Eggs questions Rand about Min. "You talked with Min?" When? About what? Oh so innocently but with menace a'plenty under the radar. Rand get's all stuttery and tangle tongued. As if he did ANYTHING untoward with her Minship... But her Egwene-ness makes him FEEL he did something totally horrid!

Luckily Perrin pulls Rands fat outta the fire by bringing up Mr. Ultra-Creepy .. Aram (he was a sleezy little git from the start) and how she said that dancing with Aram was "like dancing with a bird". All of a sudden Ms. Accusing-ness gets all.. "I believe I shall retire to my blankets. I'm EXHAUSTED!" Yer' man Rand thinks Ha! I finally came out on top o' one o' these tete a tete's... WRONG.. :o Young Matrim brings up Else Grimwell, the slattern.. :P :D

This is typical of Real Life in every way. There is no denying it. And RJ was a master of describing these little Kodak Moments ;)

Edited by Auld Manriva

Thom DID assassinate Galldrian, because his men killed Dena while trying to off Thom who was not in his room. Niane, his mostly invisible (as Egwene found out later) adviser disappeared for awhile (she was known to hang out at some noble woman's (Arilin?) estates. She was a gray so this not taking sides thing isn't too unusual. She was back by CoS, with Caddy Shack at the Cairhein Rebels Camp.

Aes Sedai advisers advise, especially Gray's, they don't be no flamin' body guards ;)

Speaking of the Elayne chapter, I found some hypocrisy... right after Rand and Elayne kiss, she says to him, "I don't want to hear anything from you that you do not mean with your whole heart. Not now, not ever." But then, two days later, she sends him a letter about how much she hates him... any rational explanation for this? I'm not an Elayne hater, but this is pretty damning evidence.

She got angry with him because she wanted him to say he wished she wouldn't leave him. They both knew that she must go, and Rand also believed that she'd be safer away from him, and so he didn't ask her to do what she couldn't (and shouldn't). Typical man. Elayne got angry that he didn't want her around, never mind that he had good reason not to ask her. Typical woman. How come this bothers you so much? I thought it was rather endearing.

And Sid, come on. Have you ever known a woman who didn't blame her man for things that weren't his fault? I'm almost positively certain that that's the main attraction men hold for women - it's always nice to have someone to blame ;).

She got angry with him because she wanted him to say he wished she wouldn't leave him. They both knew that she must go, and Rand also believed that she'd be safer away from him, and so he didn't ask her to do what she couldn't (and shouldn't). Typical man. Elayne got angry that he didn't want her around, never mind that he had good reason not to ask her. Typical woman. How come this bothers you so much? I thought it was rather endearing.

And Sid, come on. Have you ever known a woman who didn't blame her man for things that weren't his fault? I'm almost positively certain that that's the main attraction men hold for women - it's always nice to have someone to blame ;).

Elayne did not want Rand to ask her to stay...she wanted him to tell her that he wished she could stay. Big difference. As it is, he made it seem as if he didn't care one way or the other.

See!? What'd I tell ya... :lol::D .... Is it Art imitating Life? Or Life imitating Art? You youngsters.. :rolleyes: constantly upholding my belief in humanity...

Edited by Auld Manriva

Hi all,

First time poster... sorry if this has been posted else where,

Just wondering about Matt and the horn, I thought it would be bound to him after he blew it as long as he was alive, but didnt he 'die' at rhudian? Therefore he is not connected to it anymore and anyone can now 'blow' it and be in control...?

Robert Jordan told that Mat did not die at Rhuidean. I take that includes both the tree & the darkhounds.

He told that the death was during the Rahvin hunt. I take Mat is still linked to the Horn.

Do not have links.

I had something typed out here but I thought better of it. I'll just say "no, I haven't". :lol:

i was just wondering, in idle speculation, what would happen to someone who entered TAR asleep, then channeled a gateway to the real world and walked out... would there be two peoples?? would the time-space continuum rupture and the dark one escape??? maybe thats how he gets free!!! JK. but seriously, just thought it would be something to think about, even though i doubt, hardcore, that we will ever be presented this situation.

i was just wondering, in idle speculation, what would happen to someone who entered TAR asleep, then channeled a gateway to the real world and walked out... would there be two peoples?? would the time-space continuum rupture and the dark one escape??? maybe thats how he gets free!!! JK. but seriously, just thought it would be something to think about, even though i doubt, hardcore, that we will ever be presented this situation.

I think someone asked a version of this question and RJ told them they needed to get a life (in a jokey, not mean way).

I think effectively they wouldn't be able to cross through the gateway. It might just mean they'd be thrown out of the dream. Possibly it would be fatal--their soul would dissolve like anything else taken out of TAR.

A related thought--what if Moghedian's method were used on a dreamer? I'd assume thats how Moghedian learnt the method. Would it create two of the person, one catatonic and soulless like that Ogier in tGH... hmm...