DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Have we ever had a PoV from a Sea Folk character?

I can't think of one, but it seems highly odd that we haven't....

Yes.

Many times I think, top of my head, the only one I can think of is when we learn of the mass suicide on Tremalking

• 1 month later...

So, in "A Lily in Winter" when Birgitte has a healthy dose of the oosquai , does Elayne not feel those effects at all because of that mental trick that channelers can do? Is it stated that she learned it between ACoS to WH sometime?

Also, thread bump from many pages down.

For your own sake, FainsLeftFoot, don't do that. It is being poorly translated. We have several mentions of Aiel carrying swords, or switches between Elayne and Elaida's name, a mention of "Green Ajah Logic", and other stupidities. Another translator undertook the task after the former one passed away, and she is making a poor job of it. You would thini she never read the book. We have two words that can translate "you" in french. And now and then it can swtch from "tu" to "vous". The first is singular the second plural, and used for respect mark. Names with an additional "-e" in the end : Verine, Alviarine, Baine, Suline, and so forth. Chiad became Khiad and then Chiade.

And of course, translation errors. "Weave" and "Flows" have not been translated following the context of knitting, but refer to the sea. And phrase have been poorly translated and sometimes doesn't mean anything. Lot of french fans are reading the serie in english. As we are not all well versed in foreign language, it often is a challenge. But we keep going, because the french version is a shame to the universe of Robert Jordan.

Mashadared, then Balefired.

Rand killed her to save her from Mashadar.

@FainsLeftFoot : I also forgot to mention that there are twice as much books in french. Each english book has been split into two. So instead of A Memory of Light being the 14th it will be the 28th in french. 20€/book. Make some maths....

(I bought the books in english in Orbit edition in Ireland, for 7.99£, some 13€ - 14€ at the time.)

So yeah buy him the english ones.

If someone know of the german version, how is the book? They split it differently too, and how is the translation? Thanks...

Edited by Demiandre

That was the question I asked you the last time, because you didn't precised it either. I think she fled from Rand because of Ji'e'Toh. She wasn't found by the other Aiel who searched for a long time. She didn't wanted to be found. I think she also got corrupted by the evil of the City.

For your own sake, FainsLeftFoot, don't do that. It is being poorly translated. We have several mentions of Aiel carrying swords, or switches between Elayne and Elaida's name, a mention of "Green Ajah Logic", and other stupidities. Another translator undertook the task after the former one passed away, and she is making a poor job of it. You would thini she never read the book. We have two words that can translate "you" in french. And now and then it can swtch from "tu" to "vous". The first is singular the second plural, and used for respect mark. Names with an additional "-e" in the end : Verine, Alviarine, Baine, Suline, and so forth. Chiad became Khiad and then Chiade.

And of course, translation errors. "Weave" and "Flows" have not been translated following the context of knitting, but refer to the sea. And phrase have been poorly translated and sometimes doesn't mean anything. Lot of french fans are reading the serie in english. As we are not all well versed in foreign language, it often is a challenge. But we keep going, because the french version is a shame to the universe of Robert Jordan.

RJ said that the only translators that even consulted with him were the Dutch ones, and he also said he'd heard the Swedish translation was pretty good, but the Dutchies and Swedes prefer the English version since they all speak English (which is, of course, probably why the translations are good).

I apologize if these are stupid questions about TAR, but I've been wondering them for a while.

I know someone can get real injuries from TAR (a burn, scrape, bruise, poison, etc) but what about illnesses or pregnancies even. Some living things do show up in TAR, yes? Is it possible to get sick from a virus or bacteria or other Microbe in TAR? And, what about getting pregnant in TAR? I'm thinking "no" because you can't carry anything out yes?) of TAR including pathogens or sperm, but would you still have the effects of the disease or a pseudo-pregnancy?

Edited by White_star

I apologize if these are stupid questions about TAR, but I've been wondering them for a while.

I know someone can get real injuries from TAR (a burn, scrape, bruise, poison, etc) but what about illnesses or pregnancies even. Some living things do show up in TAR, yes? Is it possible to get sick from a virus or bacteria or other Microbe in TAR? And, what about getting pregnant in TAR? I'm thinking "no" because you can't carry anything out yes?) of TAR including pathogens or sperm, but would you still have the effects of the disease or a pseudo-pregnancy?

If you stay there long enough for it to incubate (and they exist there at all) then I would say yes. No matter what you caught when you woke up its presence in your body would vanish, but if it dissolved your liver before you woke you would wake short one liver.

That said the Heroes of the Horn stay there as do wolves and they do not die of sickness so I would guess that pathogens are not present there.

As for pregnancy, I believe that a woman would have to stay a long time for her body to notice that it is pregnant.

Edited by algspkr

If you and your partner were both there in the flesh, yes.

Could be a pretty freaky liaison.

My guess has been that people can cause pregnancies in Telaranrhiod; also catch diseases there.

I take not "carrying" out of Telaranrhiod applies to using Gateways.

Egwene was able to sever a Black while in Telaranrhiod. (Dragon Reborn) And Nynaeve fed forkroot to Moghedien in Telaranrhiod. (Shadow Rising)

Unless Sanderson comments about pregnancy/disease (in Telaranrhiod), we may need to wait until there is an attempt in the books.

With the Choedan Kal, Winter Heart. Cyndane meet Alivia walking alone and weave an inverted fireball Alivia won't see coming. The weave dissipate and Alivia deaw on the Power. Cyndane is chocked because Alivia is stronger than she was before being held by the finns.

Later Alivia is healed from a broken arm.

Hi all,

First time poster... sorry if this has been posted else where,

Just wondering about Matt and the horn, I thought it would be bound to him after he blew it as long as he was alive, but didnt he 'die' at rhudian? Therefore he is not connected to it anymore and anyone can now 'blow' it and be in control...?

Has it been addressed why the Forsaken didn't kill Rand when Ishmael failed to turn him? I know why Lanfear and Asmodean didn't, but I feel like any of the female forsaken would have piled onto Rand before he reached Callandor to prevent it from either falling into his hands or into the hands of a male forsaken. It seems all the Forsaken attempts have been half hearted at best, except when they decided to attack him while he wielded enough power to destroy the planet... stmart

Hi all,

First time poster... sorry if this has been posted else where,

Just wondering about Matt and the horn, I thought it would be bound to him after he blew it as long as he was alive, but didnt he 'die' at rhudian? Therefore he is not connected to it anymore and anyone can now 'blow' it and be in control...?

He died at Caemlyn, not at Rhuidean, and since Rand balefire Rahvin, we assume that he's still linked to the Horn, since it's as if he never died at all. It's possible he's no longer linked to it by some twist of logic, but we have no real reason to think he isn't.

hmmm I'm sure this thread was reaching 198pages on DM7 :P

No questions atm but just started SR re-read so will see. Maybe I can find the BUT :)

Yeah, what is a hundred pages compared to the combination of all Asmo-thread? There is more in two thread than in the entire serie :D

Good luck for the BUT. If you could take a pen and a paper to write down every detail of little relevance, and every sentence that seems incongruous or not really logical, that would be helpful to find it. We only have 7 weeks remaining before the release of ToM

Time is short. The Storm is Coming, Foamy The Master! (But for now, I am Here :D)

Even the Storm will bow down to Foamy the lord and Master :D<BR> <BR>Hehe and thanx I actually was planning on doing that, in 7 weeks might be able to read 3 or 4 books will have to see :P <BR><BR>I actually have more than 7 weeks cause I have to wait for the soft cover edition :( so no forums for me for a while after the release

Edited by Foamy The Master

I have a question :

The Oath of the Black Ajah "I swear not to betray my secrets until the hour of my death". We see it is possible to go around that Oath. So it is technically possible to betray the Dark One if the sister is believing herself on the brink of death? That sound a bit loose for me.

We see Sheriam was able to speak of every plot she kew, as did Verin. So if a sister is shielded and is threatened of being executed, would she be able to reveal everything? And if she doesn't die an hour after, is there a conflicting Oath as we see with Seaine and Pevara?