DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Have we seen Aes Sedai "lying" with a delay?

I mean, can an Aes Sedai say for instance "I will never do that" and later do it having forgotten it or not thinking the same at this very moment?

That would not qualify as a lie in their eyes, wouldn't it?

Or will it be... printed into their mind and become binding?

The closest I think we've seen is Elaida in the Eye of the World with her whispering 'and this man stands at the heart of it. I obey the queen and speak clearly'.

After Morgase escapes Caemlyn, why does she go to Amadicia of all places? Because it's a stable nation that Rand hasn't conquered yet? With that logic, why not go to Illian (I know, Sammael was there, but she didn't know that). I ask because Whitecloaks don't typically go over well in Andor, and Amadicia is basically the Whitecloaks' country.

After Morgase escapes Caemlyn, why does she go to Amadicia of all places? Because it's a stable nation that Rand hasn't conquered yet? With that logic, why not go to Illian (I know, Sammael was there, but she didn't know that). I ask because Whitecloaks don't typically go over well in Andor, and Amadicia is basically the Whitecloaks' country.

Because all the Trakands we have seen are plain stupid?  :P

Because all the Trakands we have seen are plain stupid?  :P

rofl!

Besides her being a Trakand, and thus plain stupid, (not outlandish, by the way), Morgase didn't go straight to Amador.

She went to Kore Springs first, but Gareth Bryne was gone haring off after Siuan, and then she had a little think.

She realised Rand controlled (by rumour at least) pretty much everywhere else that would have been useful, that Ghealdan was in a heap, and then her Rahvin/Elaida?Siuan-hiding-Elayne instilled anti White Tower prejudice kicked in, so she went to Amador, where they really know how to hate AS.

Besides her being a Trakand, and thus plain stupid, (not outlandish, by the way), Morgase didn't go straight to Amador.

She went to Kore Springs first, but Gareth Bryne was gone haring off after Siuan, and then she had a little think.

She realised Rand controlled (by rumour at least) pretty much everywhere else that would have been useful, that Ghealdan was in a heap, and then her Rahvin/Elaida?Siuan-hiding-Elayne instilled anti White Tower prejudice kicked in, so she went to Amador, where they really know how to hate AS.

Ignoring the part where it's against the law for her to set foot in Amadicia?

1. Cairhien is in shambles.

2. She doesn't trust the White Tower.

3. Tear is Dragonsworn. Everybody expects it to attack Illian next. With the Lord of the Morning at its front.

4. Naturally, Illian will be watching Tear. It will not commit troops elsewhere, unless it is close to the border. (Conventional wisdom, not 'real intent')

5. Murandy has no army to speak of.

6. Altara is too divided.

7. Tarabon and Arad Doman are in too much chaos to be useful. She doesn't know about the Seanchan.

8. The Borderlands could be in Shara, for all they're worth. (Too far)

9. Which leaves Amadicia and Ghealdan. It could be that they heard of the strife in Ghealdan, though I think it unlikely.

I find it interesting that Morgase would've used the same road that Bryne used (till Salidar, or Altaran territory, at least.)

Why didn't she go back to her estates? Maybe she feared Gaebril's men would be there. Or he'd look there first. She should've gone to the Two Rivers! 

Ignoring the part where it's against the law for her to set foot in Amadicia?

I dunno... 'cos she's a plain stupid Trakand?!

That was THE mort reckless thing we have seen any ruler or person of power do in this series. Imagine if Morgase had succeded in getting the Whitecloaks to get her back into power. If Pedron Nial had any involvement, Andor would NEVER recover power from the whitecloaks, it would of seriously made life hell for average Andorans. If Morgase really cared about Andor, she would of gone crawling on her knees to Dyelin and offered her House Trakand, then helped her gain the throne with the others who would never have helped Morgase. Her and Elayne border on evil in thier want of Andoran domination at any cost.

That was THE mort reckless thing we have seen any ruler or person of power do in this series. Imagine if Morgase had succeded in getting the Whitecloaks to get her back into power. If Pedron Nial had any involvement, Andor would NEVER recover power from the whitecloaks, it would of seriously made life hell for average Andorans. If Morgase really cared about Andor, she would of gone crawling on her knees to Dyelin and offered her House Trakand, then helped her gain the throne with the others who would never have helped Morgase. Her and Elayne border on evil in thier want of Andoran domination at any cost.

Neck and neck with the borderlanders coming South to talk to Rand.

Seriously, WTF?  You leave the front lines stripped of a couple hundred thousand of the best warriors with no way of getting them back quickly if trouble comes up? 

This may be the plotline that I have the most problems with.

Neck and neck with the borderlanders coming South to talk to Rand.

Seriously, WTF?  You leave the front lines stripped of a couple hundred thousand of the best warriors with no way of getting them back quickly if trouble comes up? 

This may be the plotline that I have the most problems with.

The Blight was eerily quiet for the last 2 years and idle hands are Shai'tans workshop XD

how come you lump elayne into this as well?

I'm not sure why she picked Amadicia over Illian, but from Morgase's perspective those were the only places she could get help.  Rhavin turned her against the Tower.  The borderlanders would not get involved Altera and Murandy are not strong and Murandy is an enemy.  Cairhein and Tear were in Rand's hands and she did not think she could trust him.  Arad Doman, Tarabon and Ghealdean were in chaos.

Jordan's move away (within the series, I doubt Mr. Rigney was a monarchist or what not) from classical republicanism towards benign authoritarianism is best seen with respect to Elayne.

I think that, in a sense, he wrote himself into this problem by making a member of royalty a main POV character.

Contrast this with the extraordinary, well, disgust that all of the Duopotamians have for nobility - if not royalty, since, let's recall, Rand was thinking with his breeches when he first met Elayne and Morgase - at the start of the book. They live, essentially, in a miniature republic.

One thing that makes me despise Faile as a character is how she turns Perrin from a Man of the People resistance leader into a freaking hereditary aristocrat. I always knew that *Rand* would have to be an unelected ruler, and that Mat, because of both his military prowess (the traditional way in human history of moving up into the hereditary aristocracy) and his inevitable marriage to an imperial princess, would eventually have a title.

But Perrin, as the author avatar, would have been great if he had been elected say, Governor or Consul or whatever of Duopotamia after the big battle, as well as consistently, firmly, insisting that he was a blacksmith first, and that eventually he would become one again.

A few things, in response to recent posts.

Firstly, Tsunami, since we don't yet know what the Borderlanders' motives are, I think it's too soon to write off what they're doing as a folly. After ToM, I suspect we'll know more.

Secondly, Fains nose, Morgase didn't plan to ask Nial for assistance. She was talking to Ailron, and tried to keep her presence secret from the WC.

Mr. Micawber, I don't think RJ was making a political statement by choosing monarchy as the common governing method in Randland. It's just part of the setting.

Lastly, demondeacon, as far as I know it's said in the BWB that Ogiers are from a parallel world. They only come to this world in some Ages. Still, I don't thing parallel worlds exist outside the Pattern, as Tsunami said.