DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 - I WATCHED ALL THE EPISODES TOPIC

SinisterDeath

3 minutes ago, Guire said:

I am wondering if this is just tv writer mystery box stuff.  or show Mo and Siuan were in a happy public relationship.  they witnessed the dragon foretelling, then manufactured a huge public betrayel/break up to cover their mission. So to Alanna this could be a foundational change in Moraines life.  Why she has stayed away from tower and might challenge Siuan's rule.  but to Lan who knows truth there is something else Alanna is referencing or he has to play along to keep up secret.

Yes, agreed! Thanks for articulating it better than I did.

Some of my confusion comes from the plot development focused on how significant and powerful the warder bond is, and the impact of its loss. So initially the sense of distance between lan and moiraine since the bond was no longer intact (which is also reflected in the books) made more sense to me. Now we see show moiraine has been periodically masking the bond and keeping many secrets from lan from the start, implying that he never knew her as much as he thought and wasn’t truly bonded to her the way he believed and described to Tomas in terms of the bond eliminating the need for communicating verbally. I’m curious to see if this is lan committing to protecting moiraine or if he actually is in the dark. 

Me watching the Wheel of Time TV show...

At this stage it's train-crash television: horrific, but I can't look away because it's all just so unbelievably unprecedented and weird. I'm just at a total loss why you would get the licence to such a beloved series and then just rewrite it from scratch. Why not create a prequel or a sequel story if you wanted to write your own plots? There are so many iconic, incredible scenes from the early books that are seared into my memory; scenes that I was so excited to see realised on screen. They are nowhere to be seen. They've been removed. And what's in their place? New, completely inconsequential stories that take up way too much time, and scenes where the beloved characters behave completely contrary to their book counterparts.

Thinking back to the king of the adaptations, Lord of the Rings: While there were definitely aspects of that story that were adapted for the screen, it still absolutely FELT like the book series it was based on. It was completely true to the spirit. The Wheel of Time show doesn't feel anything like the books that I've loved for so many decades. It's like some weird, badly-written alternate universe fan-fiction.

The sad part is, I quite like a lot of the cast. I really like Nynaeve, and even though he hasn't had much to do yet, I like the new Mat.

I just live in hope that maybe 10, 15 years down the track, after this show has been long abandoned, someone will take the reins and do it right. I look forward to that movie or TV series.

As for now... I guess I'll just keep watching the train wreck...

facepalm.jpg

Have they changed the animations for channeling this season?  I remember there was a bit of concern over how it would be represented in the series and I vaguely remember that I found it acceptable in Season 1.  I remember noticing that the flows seems to come from off screen and it looked like the channelers were grasping at threads that were already there and manipulating them into their service.  Yet off the top of my head, this season it looks like threads just seem to form around a channeled and wrap around their arms or bodies a bit.  I don’t know what it is and it could be subtle or it could also be me misremembering.  Something seems off about some of the animations to me, though, this season.  Obviously it is a subjective opinion on how it looks but I’m just wondering if anyone else has felt that the effects are somehow different from season to season with regards to channeling.

Question re Perrin and his "wolf visions". 

The one im thinking about is the one with a  Tinker caravan being murdered by Fain & DF. 

They mention that a girl escaped and then presumbly killed after the dog protecting her was killed. 

My question is was the girl the same as in the DF social in ep 1 ? I remember Fain and his creepy leer at her and wondered if he somehow tracked her and her mother's group and killed them. 

Anyone have idea or thoughts about this particular scene. 

45 minutes ago, Mirefox said:

Have they changed the animations for channeling this season?  I remember there was a bit of concern over how it would be represented in the series and I vaguely remember that I found it acceptable in Season 1.  I remember noticing that the flows seems to come from off screen and it looked like the channelers were grasping at threads that were already there and manipulating them into their service.  Yet off the top of my head, this season it looks like threads just seem to form around a channeled and wrap around their arms or bodies a bit.  I don’t know what it is and it could be subtle or it could also be me misremembering.  Something seems off about some of the animations to me, though, this season.  Obviously it is a subjective opinion on how it looks but I’m just wondering if anyone else has felt that the effects are somehow different from season to season with regards to channeling.

Yes, a touch. Saidar is shown as silvery white, while Saidin is shown as firey gold (with streaks running through it). It hasn't been in every scene, but in a handful where we got closer, we also saw saidar with threads of five colors, representing the five flows. It has mostly just been all silver or all gold, depending on which half of the One Power it is, but getting that up close look and seeing all the colors at one point was satisfying. The weaving isn't what I imagine like was in the books, though. I imagined knots and knitting and tapestries.

Edited by Agitel

56 minutes ago, Mirefox said:

After downloading in highest quality instead of streaming to watch , I have found the flows and weaving to be pretty damn good.  I think they have cleaned up channeling cgi and have reduced some of the more overt body movement that made it seem like avatar bending.  So I will say slightly different, overall better imho.

On 9/12/2023 at 7:37 AM, Irvyne said:

At this stage it's train-crash television: horrific, but I can't look away because it's all just so unbelievably unprecedented and weird. I'm just at a total loss why you would get the licence to such a beloved series and then just rewrite it from scratch. Why not create a prequel or a sequel story if you wanted to write your own plots? There are so many iconic, incredible scenes from the early books that are seared into my memory; scenes that I was so excited to see realised on screen. They are nowhere to be seen. They've been removed. And what's in their place? New, completely inconsequential stories that take up way too much time, and scenes where the beloved characters behave completely contrary to their book counterparts.

Thinking back to the king of the adaptations, Lord of the Rings: While there were definitely aspects of that story that were adapted for the screen, it still absolutely FELT like the book series it was based on. It was completely true to the spirit. The Wheel of Time show doesn't feel anything like the books that I've loved for so many decades. It's like some weird, badly-written alternate universe fan-fiction.

The sad part is, I quite like a lot of the cast. I really like Nynaeve, and even though he hasn't had much to do yet, I like the new Mat.

I just live in hope that maybe 10, 15 years down the track, after this show has been long abandoned, someone will take the reins and do it right. I look forward to that movie or TV series.

facepalm.jpg

You are entitled to your opinion but for me, as someone who has read and re read the series many many times, this absolutely is the wheel of time and the story being told is in many ways better then the very linear and repetitive nature of the early books, which would make for an awful TV show. You mention Lord of teh Rings being the definitive adaptation, as someone who loved Tolkien's work I initially hated them, Aragorn was a totally new character un recognisable from the books, Elrond was also changed beyond recognition, The things that where removed and added made no sense to me and I thought jackson had done an awful job, yes it looked good but he had destroyed the story. 

Then I realised that the essence of LOTR was there, and the changes made for a different story. With WOT all the parts are there, they ave taken pieces of books 2 and 3, which in essence tell the same broad story twice, and merged them together to form a coherent story that has none of the repetition of narrative. The characters are emotionally in the same place they are in the books come book 2/3 Perrin is learning how to be a wolf brother, Matt is starting his escape from Tar Valon, Rand is figuring out his powers and Moiraine is trying to nurture and support him, the death of Selene will start to make him wary and untrustworthy, The girls have been learning and are on there way to Falme and yes, there has been a storyline created for Lan and Moiraine, but they are not in book 2 really at all ad we are seeing a stry that in some ways is better because we get to see aspects of those 2 characters we don't see in the books because at this point in the story they are still Aragorn and Gandalf copies as hard as RJ is trying to write them differently. 

On 9/12/2023 at 8:53 AM, nsmallw said:

Question re Perrin and his "wolf visions". 

The one im thinking about is the one with a  Tinker caravan being murdered by Fain & DF. 

They mention that a girl escaped and then presumbly killed after the dog protecting her was killed. 

My question is was the girl the same as in the DF social in ep 1 ? I remember Fain and his creepy leer at her and wondered if he somehow tracked her and her mother's group and killed them. 

Anyone have idea or thoughts about this particular scene. 

So far we are not sure, there has been some back and forth on this, not sure if the credits give anything away. We also are guessing that they are tinkers, that has not been confirmed, and the thought is that she escaped but the dig died trying to save her? 

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Mirefox said:

First season, most of the channeling was very white. Almost as if we the viewer weren't capable of seeing the individual threads of the one power.

This season, we're starting to see the different colors of the one power as it's explained to us.

When we had the scene from Rand's POV, his channeling had color, where as Lanfear's had no color. I believe this was intentional to show that Men cannot see what women are doing with the one power, only that he can sense that she's doing something.

As for the threads and them "grasping at them". RJ explained that they don't originate from them.
https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=6

ROBERT JORDAN
To the channeler, the flows seem to originate in his or her very immediate vicinity, not to emanate from themselves, although to another channeler, those flows do seem to be emanating from the channeler. The latter is the actual case, as the One Power is passing through the channeler, one of the reasons for individual limits on how much of the Power a particular person can handle. (And you have seen characters react as if to a blow from having a flow snapped or cut.)

A channeler sees the flows as colored very faintly, according to which of the Five Powers is involved (red = Fire, Blue = Water, green = Earth, yellow = Air, white = Spirit), although the "feel" of the flows are also different to a channeler, so that a channeler can tell one from another without actually seeing them. (That is how someone can tell that somebody else has channeled, say, Fire and Earth, in their vicinity without seeing the flows.) It isn't a physical feel; you might almost as well say that they have different flavors. They appear to be smooth and nearly transparent, tinged with color.

To add to this, Channeler are able to use the one power to channel the elements from around them towards a purpose. So they can use the One Power to draw Water out of a Stone. Or Earth out of Water. Or Fire out of Water.

There's a passage concerning Egwene and Heat. and how it can be extremely dangerous...  later Egwene was shocked when she found out how Rand did the very thing she was told NEVER to do with heat as that would kill her if she tried it. 

It was one of the warnings novices were given; never draw heat in. A flame could be extinguished using Air or Water, but using Fire to pull the heat away meant disaster with a flame of any size. It was not a matter of strength, so Sheriam had said; heat once taken in could not be gotten rid of, not by the strongest woman ever to come out of the White Tower. Women had actually burst into flame themselves that way.
- The Shadow Rising, Playing with Fire0

I find it funny that I remembered this random niche detail about Rand pulling heat in, yet if Egwene tried she could die; yet forgot that Lan apparently fought in the Aiel War. But somehow I get accused of not having read the books all the time....

3 hours ago, Irvyne said:

facepalm.jpg

Amazon appreciates you watching. I thank you for doing your part in making sure we'll get S4 and beyond

5 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

You are entitled to your opinion but for me, as someone who has read and re read the series many many times, this absolutely is the wheel of time and the story being told is in many ways better then the very linear and repetitive nature of the early books, which would make for an awful TV show. You mention Lord of teh Rings being the definitive adaptation, as someone who loved Tolkien's work I initially hated them, Aragorn was a totally new character un recognisable from the books, Elrond was also changed beyond recognition, The things that where removed and added made no sense to me and I thought jackson had done an awful job, yes it looked good but he had destroyed the story. 

Then I realised that the essence of LOTR was there, and the changes made for a different story. With WOT all the parts are there, they ave taken pieces of books 2 and 3, which in essence tell the same broad story twice, and merged them together to form a coherent story that has none of the repetition of narrative. The characters are emotionally in the same place they are in the books come book 2/3 Perrin is learning how to be a wolf brother, Matt is starting his escape from Tar Valon, Rand is figuring out his powers and Moiraine is trying to nurture and support him, the death of Selene will start to make him wary and untrustworthy, The girls have been learning and are on there way to Falme and yes, there has been a storyline created for Lan and Moiraine, but they are not in book 2 really at all ad we are seeing a stry that in some ways is better because we get to see aspects of those 2 characters we don't see in the books because at this point in the story they are still Aragorn and Gandalf copies as hard as RJ is trying to write them differently. 

I think jury is still out if it will stay true to WoT.  Right now it is decent tv.  Lots of external forces are putting pressure on storytelling for series so I cut it some slack.  I dont think majority of bookreaders find it better storytelling than first 3 books so far.  Books did have a repetitive pattern of plot advancement.  The devil is always in the details though and the joy of this series is very much about the details. 

1 hour ago, Guire said:

I think jury is still out if it will stay true to WoT.  Right now it is decent tv.  Lots of external forces are putting pressure on storytelling for series so I cut it some slack.  I dont think majority of bookreaders find it better storytelling than first 3 books so far.  Books did have a repetitive pattern of plot advancement.  The devil is always in the details though and the joy of this series is very much about the details. 

Or we can stop trying to compare two inherently different things and simply enjoy each for what it is and try to worry less about what it is not.

I like how Ishy and the dark are making people doubt their power. Fain started by commenting that Perrin was chasing the shadow when he picked up his axe starting the whole axe/hammer plot, Ishy continued it this season by saying that the more Perrin embraced the wolf the more he belonged to the shadow. Ishy seems to have convinced Min that her ability is a curse and is apparently torturing her dreams.

Liandrin was trying to convince Mat he wasn't a good friend and wasn't there for his friends. Even with Selene and Rand I felt like she was really dragging out his torture when he thought she was shocked and devastated that he was channeling she was enjoying making him feel like a monster.

Then you had Machin Shin laying into Loial telling him that he's a hypocrite because books are made of trees (sorry this one was a meme but I thought it was hilarious). I think it fits the betrayer of hope and is really effective reason for the characters to resist their powers which a lot of them do in the early books.

4 minutes ago, Gary Again said:

I like how Ishy and the dark are making people doubt their power. Fain started by commenting that Perrin was chasing the shadow when he picked up his axe starting the whole axe/hammer plot, Ishy continued it this season by saying that the more Perrin embraced the wolf the more he belonged to the shadow. Ishy seems to have convinced Min that her ability is a curse and is apparently torturing her dreams.

Liandrin was trying to convince Mat he wasn't a good friend and wasn't there for his friends. Even with Selene and Rand I felt like she was really dragging out his torture when he thought she was shocked and devastated that he was channeling she was enjoying making him feel like a monster.

Then you had Machin Shin laying into Loial telling him that he's a hypocrite because books are made of trees (sorry this one was a meme but I thought it was hilarious). I think it fits the betrayer of hope and is really effective reason for the characters to resist their powers which a lot of them do in the early books.

Totally agreed with this dynamic, and it very closely tracks with the type of disinformation that Ishy was giving via those dreams in TEOTW. I'm always hoping to see more Tel'aran'rhiod in the show as it's one of the distinctive elements of this world.

On 9/10/2023 at 9:45 AM, DigificWriter said:

I briefly mentioned earlier somewhere that some people seem to be letting their book knowledge color the show's use of Liandrin, and I think Episode 4 only reinforced that opinion for me.

We can't know what her original plan would've been if Elayne hadn't followed Nynaeve and Egwene, but it's pretty clear that she only used the One Power to knock them unconscious as a desperate measure, so that in and of itself isn't really the huge indicator of her being a baddie that I think some people think it is, at least for me.

I knew because of general spoilers that Liandrin was bad news bears, but that knowledge hasn't stopped me from being fascinated by her characterization, but I suspect that others who are truly unspoiled also find her fascinating and will continue to do so even after this episode and the next one (which I already know is going to hurt me emotionally even though I'm not generally a very emotional person).

I like show Liandrin especially in S2.  She was over the top in S1 and griefing too much, but I absolutely love S1E1 where the reds chase down poor mad man channeler.  Who is this mustache twirling evil woman?—She is actually working to save the world from being destroyed by mad men.  

Oh wait she is evil.

18 minutes ago, Guire said:

I was replying to a statement that show told a better story than books so far for first 3 books.  I disagree.  

There are details the books had that the show does not, and I never expected it to, but I strongly believe that had RJ been able to write the story he wanted to from the very start instead of trying to meet editorial expectations with a LOTR copy for book 1 then we would have had a very different start to the series, I think I am in a minority who see books 1 and 2, and part of book 3 as the weak point of the whole series, they have moments but overall I find them both a little dull and very fantasy formulaic especially 1 and 2, book 3 is where I became more hooked, and book 4 onwards is what I love, It took me about a year to finally get through books 1 and 2 because I found them so meh at the time, and I only did it in the end because I had bought books 1 to 6 in a single go.

I personally love the supposed boring bit in the middle of the series, 8-11, and can devour those books over and over in isolation now days finding them just easy to read, to me books 4 onwards are where RJ hit his real stride as an author and it is where the world comes alive, I know this therefore colours my opinion of seasons 1 and 2 because to my mind books one and 2 could have been so so much better if RJ had been allowed to start with something like book 4 or 5 in terms of the style of writing and what his characters truly where becoming. 

So I am well aware my view is in the minority, although I have since spoken to friends who have started reading the series post watching the TV show and they are in agreement that book 1 is a weak to midling start that they only got themselves through because I promised them it got better (although in this day and age convincing someone to stick at it until book 3/4 is asking a lot lol). 

Sorry if I ask about something that has already been addressed, there are too many replies in here to go through at the moment. 

There has not been any good indication as to what the girls have actually learned in their training. We see Egwene block a door with fire and the water cleaning but don’t really know how what their limits might be right now. 

I think the Fade on the building reveal went by too fast to really take in how shocking it should be. I was more impressed in the book. 

I think Liandrin cutting Nyn off from the source was good to see, but seemed to just be kind of a small thing in a big scene. It will play a part in the story later and I wonder if some non-readers missed it. 

Spoiler

Is Moiraine blocked or is she stilled and can now lie to Lan and everyone else?

42 minutes ago, Cipher said:

A powerful tool, but also if you catch one in a deliberate lie than you should know something is very wrong.

True, but even in the books it is not until very late on that the Aes Sedai figure out that black ajah can lie and therefore must have found a way around the 3 oaths. Until that moment I imagine an Black Aes Sedai could lie to someones face and it is so ingrained in them that they will convince themselves that somehow the Aes Sedai had talked around a thing, or was somehow telling the truth. It does make me think of Jim Carey crying as he says The Pen Is Blue, there is a comedy skit to be had there somehow :). 

On 9/11/2023 at 9:14 AM, nsmallw said:

In one of the episodes Alanna says Nynaeve is 10 times more powerful, which makes me wonder does that mean she outpowers Rand, also in ep 4 Logain says Rand's power is equal to what his own was pre-stilling. 

Is all this a conscious effort to reduce Rand's overall power, so he can be less "super-sayan" than in the books where until the end he's pretty much stronger than any one individual channeler ?

I think it's just hyperbole. I don't believe the writers felt any need to remain loyal to RJ's precision when it comes to features like relative strength (or skill), or height for that matter. These folks did not focus on math in college.

Edited by Chivalry

4 hours ago, Cipher said:
20 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

Remember an Aes Sedai can't lie, as far as many are aware, so if an Aes Sedai tells you a fact to your face then you believe it. That is such a powerful tool. 

A powerful tool, but also if you catch one in a deliberate lie than you should know something is very wrong.

Except most of us spend the time when someone else is speaking deciding what we want to say rather than recording the speech for later comparison to see if it contains "a word that is not true".   Although Mat really should have noticed that Liandrin's sarcasm in the scene where he wakes up to find her standing over him most certainly was her breaking the oaths (sarcasm should not make an untrue statement permissible). 

Personally I would be tempted to see if using sarcasm around Aes Sedai annoys them as it should be permanently denied to them.

11 hours ago, Gary Again said:

I absolutely agree with your observations. I felt compelled to add some of my additional thoughts. The dark forces are exceptionally skilled at knowing and zeroing in on the fears and internal struggles and triggers of each individual. For example, machin chin was directed in a very personal and specific way to each character. This is how the dark ones hook people and gain control by planting seeds of doubt and what gives them such power and influence over people. They focus in on and then exploit and magnify the deepest fears specific to the individual. Every character is affected in a unique and personal way based on their already existing, deep and troubling internal conflicts. For example Perrin feels conflicted with the wolf connection and struggles with fear of violence and ishy reinforces this by saying that his wolf nature is in fact dark and by acknowledging that therefore Perrin himself must accept that his true nature is also dark. Min and her inherent ability of having visions is presented by ishy as a curse implying that this natural expression from her basic nature is wrong. Liandrin honing in on mats struggle with his actions that appears to be abandoning his friends and subsequently magnifying his fear that they’ve abandoned him. Rands fear of not being able to control his power and hurting those around him has also been exploited by ishy and lanfear. The list of examples goes on and on, but my basic point is that the representatives of the dark forces have a masterfully strategic and intricately well thought out and implemented design for exposing and amplifying the deepest and most troubling aspects buried within each individual, thereby ensuring at the least significant influence over the “target’s” psyche and at the highest level complete control. 

I have enjoyed season two overall. I give it a ranking of 6.5 to 7 out of 10. 

The quality is so much better than season one. The writing, acting, costumes and visuals are much better. I hope they see this improvement as a beginning point and over the next seasons continue to improve in those areas. The plots have been mostly well done so far. My only gripe has been Lan's arc so far. Many people more literate than I have pointed these issues out so I won't go into details beyond to say that I hope they clear up the confusion of the condition of the bond between M and L and what exactly M's channeling issues are. 

I have noted that I'm not happy with all the night battles, feeling like they are trying to hide something but I could be off on this. Overall, I am hopeful that they can hit the landing in the last four episodes. They have a long way to go to develop Perrin, Rand and especially Mat but I'm hopeful by the end of ep 8, I won't have that same bad taste in my mouth that I had after the end of season one. 

9 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I have enjoyed season two overall. I give it a ranking of 6.5 to 7 out of 10. 

The quality is so much better than season one. The writing, acting, costumes and visuals are much better. I hope they see this improvement as a beginning point and over the next seasons continue to improve in those areas. The plots have been mostly well done so far. My only gripe has been Lan's arc so far. Many people more literate than I have pointed these issues out so I won't go into details beyond to say that I hope they clear up the confusion of the condition of the bond between M and L and what exactly M's channeling issues are. 

I have noted that I'm not happy with all the night battles, feeling like they are trying to hide something but I could be off on this. Overall, I am hopeful that they can hit the landing in the last four episodes. They have a long way to go to develop Perrin, Rand and especially Mat but I'm hopeful by the end of ep 8, I won't have that same bad taste in my mouth that I had after the end of season one. 

It seems to be a trend of TV, particularly fantasy TV that they like to film things in darkness ignoring that many of us don't have the high quality TV's that allow it to be viewed brilliantly. I will say WOT has not so far gone as bad as the battle for winter-fell, which no one could actually see (I mean to be fair I wish that had been the case for all of season 8 lol). I hope that we will get more daytime action throughout WOT