DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 - I WATCHED ALL THE EPISODES TOPIC

SinisterDeath

19 minutes ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Not so.  In New Spring where we see Moiraine inducted into the blue she is then taught their secrets.

My knowledge of New Spring is not as strong as for the rest of the series. I did not think the secrets where secret weaves but things like eyes and eyes secrets and emergency codes and leaders of the Ajah. It would also be very hard to hide this weave as its use is remaining in place and would be seen by anyone able to channel if used.

But again this is just complete unfounded guessing to fill a plot hole.

The information we are provided is Aes Sedai cannot tie off weaves. 

5 hours ago, Mailman said:

But Liandrin would be constantly channeling anyway so if it draws the black wind then it is already doing so.

No, she would not. She would not be keeping any shield along the ways, since the girls can't channel while in there.

She can also shield them again before leaving the ways. It takes a few minutes for machin shin to arrive, so she can put up the shield, open the gate and come out. And the girls can't fight back, because they don't know how to open the waygate.

As i said, the problem is when going out. The moment she comes out of the way, the girls can channel again, and there's no way liandrin can keep all of them shielded together 

59 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

since the girls can't channel while in there.

Why would the girls not be able to channel in the Ways? There's nothing preventing Channeling, only prohibiting it on account of it being A Really Bad Idea.

3 hours ago, Elgee said:

Why would the girls not be able to channel in the Ways? There's nothing preventing Channeling, only prohibiting it on account of it being A Really Bad Idea.

yes. what's the point of making a distinction? none of the girls would really choose a "take you down with me" approach, not when they don't know what's in store for them

11 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Alternatively the red's do know how to tie off weaves and keep it is an Ajah secret (in line with book lore about the Ajah's having their own secret weaves).

Or, Liandrin is Black Ajah and has been taught because, you know, they have skills. 

On 10/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, Mailman said:

Something I wanted to recheck people's opinion on now that we have had the last couple of episodes is Liandrin's capture and transport of the 3 to Falme.

Now we are aware that tying of shields is not a skill current channelers possess and Egwene's power level being enough to at least temporarily hold Ishy at bay it drastically damages the whole passage.

1) Liandrin now has to maintain 3 shields at all times from the tower to Falme.

2) Egwene not long after is able to keep at bay Ishmael for a considerable time, Considering Logain required 2 or 3 strong Aes Sedai (including Liandrin)  to keep him shielded and I would assume he is not as strong as Ishmael that sets the bar for Liandrin to solo shield her as highly unlikely.

3) Now that we know tying of shields is not possible why did the Seachan not take over the shields when Liandrin was entering the waygate as I cannot see how they would have thought the shields would have remained once she entered the waygate.

Just seems to make the entire scenario completely implausible.

Tying a shield is not something non black ajah channelers know, the Foresaken have been interacting with the white tower, so you can imagine they would remove some knowledge from “good aes sedai” and keep that knowledge to “bad” aes Sedai. 

13 hours ago, Spiritweaver1 said:

Well having finished S2 and having started a rewrite I will proffer my comments as they bubble up through the haze that my mind is becoming.

First and foremost I am very much looking forward to S3.  I feel so much better than I did after S1 when I wasn't sure I was going to bother.  In my view this isn't exactly an adaptation or a based on but a reasonably successful middle ground.  I love the books and being a fast reader and retired in Seattle I can power through the series in a couple of months.  

As I have said, mostly during S1, the heavy rewrite and condensed story time makes it easy to leave apparent plot holes or unexplained things many of which have been pointed out before.  I do hate the magic resurrections such as Lanfear's.  Jordan handled this much better with the new body approach.  Another one that grates me is Min being wrong on the vision of Matt stabbing Rand with the Dagger.  Unlike her symbolic visions that was very specific.   How is she going to get her credibility back?   

Also Rafe seems to like the fake out to rile up us book lovers.  It isn't just deaths.  A possible one is that with Ishy's memory implant and his blowing the horn there is apparently no need for the Finnfolk.  Yet we don't know for sure that he has all his battle skills and perhaps we will see him make the bargains.  I sure hope so.

For those who think Logan is going to teach Rand forget it.  We will be seeing Asmodean or one of the other male Forsaken do that bit.  It is dramatically much more interesting to have to clasp the snake to your breast and deal with all that entails.   Speaking of teaching Rand the way he dispatched Turok made much more sense than pretending he can defeat someone with a blade.

Combining characters like Uno and Gaidal Cain and Hurin and Elyas  make sense we likely will see more of that.  It works for me so far.  

I felt the dragon was a bit over the top.  I much preferred the way Jordan played it in the book.  Eggs was a little too strong for a decent plot line.  It would have been better to have Moraine link with her and Elayne and hold defensive weaves or have Nynaeve  as part of the effort.  After having her be super girl on several occasions she is regressing into incompetence.  Really?

Finally the way things are going after this effort is complete we can hope for a more faithful AI generated effort.  It could be as long as it needs to be and as long as somebody is supervising to cut some sloggy bits it could be awesome.  I really would like to see Randland brought to life.  However until that day this show will fill the gap nicely.

Min was not wrong, Matt stabbed Rand. In the books there are multiple cases of Min seeing a vision and have no idea what it actually means. In fact one key arc for her is finally, when with Tuon, realising she can use her ability to find the spy. So she warned Matt if you go you will stab Rand, well he did stab Rand. 

• RP - PLAYER
1 hour ago, Scarloc99 said:

Min was not wrong, Matt stabbed Rand. In the books there are multiple cases of Min seeing a vision and have no idea what it actually means. In fact one key arc for her is finally, when with Tuon, realising she can use her ability to find the spy. So she warned Matt if you go you will stab Rand, well he did stab Rand. 

Yes, she saw an image, or in this case a gif, that meant Mat would stab Rand. She understood it, totally checks out. But for the TV audience, that still has to be explained because that is not what they have "seen" though maybe they are just meant to pick that up along the way.

The trouble is though that Min knows how her visions work, went through hell as a kid trying to make the bad ones not happen and knows it cannot be done, yet still seems to think it is only relevant once Ishamael tells her to make Mat go with Rand. And she tells Mat not to go, as if that will help. But she should know that it will not, and not just to be like the books, but because that is how the visions work as far as everything had been explained. She could have see the vision, got drunk, told Mat, and then he could have, not believing her, tried to avert the fate by not going and that would have made much more sense, without the need of potentially re-writing how her visions work so that it makes sense. Little things like that are frustrating where being consistent or true to the books would not have changed the story they want to tell, but just needed a little more attention. 

Min would often have situations in the books where she knew what the visions showed were certain to occur but didn’t know how to interpret the greater context, the why or the how. I dont want to be too specific in order to avoid spoilers, but for example the one regarding Cadsuane and Rand or Alivia and Rand. She knew what would happen but until they actually played out it left a lot of the meaning up to interpretation. And there could be many conflicting ways of interpreting. 

6 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Min would often have situations in the books where she knew what the visions showed were certain to occur but didn’t know how to interpret the greater context, the why or the how. I dont want to be too specific in order to avoid spoilers, but for example the one regarding Cadsuane and Rand or Alivia and Rand. She knew what would happen but until they actually played out it left a lot of the meaning up to interpretation. And there could be many conflicting ways of interpreting. 

Oh, the memes about Cadsuane and Rand. 🙂

On 10/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, Ralph said:

And Rand… there’s so much to dig into, but I want to ask about his confrontation with Turak. Instead of engaging in a swordfight with a blademaster, he uses the One Power against Turak. How did you develop this scene?

Judkins
: For us, we haven’t really told the story of Rand and Lan training together yet. It is coming. But we hadn’t told it yet. But we still needed to pull off this Rand/Turak confrontation. I think it’s just one of those scenes that’s etched into your mind from the second book that we had to do.

What we tried to do is combine it with a scene in the third book with Rand where he kills all these men who are attacking him and they all fall to their knees with the One Power. It’s a very disturbing, unsettling scene in book three that puts a question mark in your mind of what path Rand is headed on and gives the audience its first real glimpse of the amount of power he wields, which I think is really important. That’s what we were trying to do with that scene. We wanted to deliver the iconic scene from the books. But Rand hasn’t had that storyline with Lan yet, so this is a way we could bring it to the show.

from https://nerdist.com/article/wheel-of-time-season-two-finale-showrunner-rafe-judkins-interview-forsaken-dragon-reborn-prophecy/

Sorry If I'm quoting an old post but this one to me is a good news indeed. I missed this interview that bring more hope to me regarding S3. 

Now I understand better the reasons beyond that scene and it is also quite clever.

So this help my optimistic outlook for S3, seeing a Rand finally with good scenes and arc.

Thank you