DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 - I WATCHED ALL THE EPISODES TOPIC

SinisterDeath

Got to admit it does make me chuckle a bit that at this point in the story Nynaeve appears to be more familiar with sword fighting than Rand is. Like they just casually threw it out there that yeah Nyn is actually now pretty good with the sword as well on top of her other heroics in season 1. And I've been waiting for Rand to have his first lesson since about episode 2 of S1. 

Well, it looks like they are building Errol to be the instructor for Rand. Could be that much of the training has gone on already behind the scenes. Or maybe Lan will follow Moiraine to Cairhien and they'll have something resembling the training scene from the start of TGH. The teasers seem to suggest Rand will face the Seanchan in a sword fight so they'll have to show something to explain his ability to defeat a blademaster. 

Forgive me if I'm misremembering but doesn't Rand defeat Turok in TGH through a combination of basic knowledge of the forms and luck/ta'veren? I could definitely see them working this in the show based off learning forms from Errol (who I thought was Herid Fel initially!) in Cairhien and some instinctive use of the power to save himself at some point of the fight. This would drive him to seek out proper training from Lan at the beginning of S3 as he realises how close he came to dying and he can't always rely on the power (in his mind at least). 

I think I'd be ok with this versus trying to convince us that Rand is actually well trained enough to defeat a blademaster with some training from a war veteran who has PTSD. 

On the season as a whole so far, my only gripe is Elyas. He has had much too small a role so far. I would have liked some sort of campfire scene where Perrin approaches him out of curiosity/instinct and they have a scene together. I'm really hoping we get some significant time now with the two of them having escaped the Seanchan. I liked Ishy saying "the more wolf you are, the more mine you are" or something to that effect. Perrin desperately missed Elyas in S1 and so far it's more of the same for me in S2.

I also don't remember the exact details of the Turak fight. IIRC one big thing was Turak underestimating and toying with Rand after he struggled in the beginning of the fight. Then Rand was able to regain balance with the flame and the void concept which took Turak off guard. 

I admit I always struggled with the believability of that encounter after so short a time of training. A "normal" soldier perhaps, but a blademaster? Ehh, maybe ta'veren effect did some heavy lifting in that scene even if it hasn't been explicitly confirmed. 

TBH I still think the show just simply dropped the ball on Rand and the sword. It should have been introduced early in season 1 with Lan as the trainer (much like Moiraine introduced Egwene to the One Power). They had a chance to build it better than the first book did. Then something to intensify the training early in Season 2. The longer they avoid the subject the less believable it's going to be.

I agree with @notpropaganda73 about Elyas. I'd also like to see a bonding scene there. I wasn't a big fan of how they introduced him as this standoffish mysterious "serious face" type. He should be prodding Perrin towards accepting the wolfbrother concept kind of like Ila poked Perrin towards the Way of the Leaf. There was a subtle humorous side to Elyas that the show is missing. The show needs some more levity, especially around the three boys.  

Edited by Vartija

On 9/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, DreadLord31 said:

But, even with girded loins, there’s still a lot that is hard to swallow as a book fan: Matt doing nothing; Min being completely “off”; Rand doing nothing (and sleeping with Selene); Logain is gonna be Rand’s teacher (and you took 3 episodes to set that up?); Perrin doing, basically, nothing; Elyas is gonna start teaching him at some point? (and you took three episodes to set that up?); Uno is dead; Liandrin gets the most screen time (it feels like)??; Liandrin is gonna be Nynaeve’s teacher? (And you took 3 episodes to set that up?); Elayne gonna be Egwene’s teacher?; a lot of Moiraine more or less replacing the Suian/Leana book-arc (unless they’re gonna be really redundant with time they don’t have in the show); emotional Lan… 

I think directing wise there’s more evidence in that Rafe: A) prefers the girls as heroic characters, B) loves fake-out deaths, C) wants to “add content” to WoT more so than adapt the source material, D) is going to get us to iconic book scenes and basically the same end-points as the books (and tick off most of the hard-core fans in-route there)!! 

I just recently reread first 3 books. Based on books, what most of these characters did there could also be considered as "nothing". So far 3 episodes in, I like 2nd season far more than 1st season. It's actually pretty faithful adaption with some minor additions that don't detract from the story (actually giving background and reason for Liandrin being who she was, other than being evil for evils sake like in the books, and a way to replace Asmodean while giving Logain more storylines, meanwhile introducing Cairhien politics). I would also support making two Elaine brothers to just one, I think with story constriction is makes strong sense. 

Edited by Masha

I have been trying to get a rewatch in before commenting too much.  One thing I discovered.  On rewatch I downloaded show to my laptop at highest graphic settings.  Before I had been watching on TV or phone streaming.  My laptop has a good screen and I use a good bluetooth speaker for sound.  The viewing experience was a massive upgrade.  The costuming I wasn't really big on became impressive.  Various dark and overlite appearing scenes became clear and balanced.  The sound also made a big difference.  I think this is first show I have ever watched that image quality and sound made that huge of a difference to my enjoyment.  I watched a few episodes of RoP on laptop in same fashion and it didnt change my dislike of Rings at all.

16 hours ago, Guire said:

I have been trying to get a rewatch in before commenting too much.  One thing I discovered.  On rewatch I downloaded show to my laptop at highest graphic settings.  Before I had been watching on TV or phone streaming.  My laptop has a good screen and I use a good bluetooth speaker for sound.  The viewing experience was a massive upgrade.  The costuming I wasn't really big on became impressive.  Various dark and overlite appearing scenes became clear and balanced.  The sound also made a big difference.  I think this is first show I have ever watched that image quality and sound made that huge of a difference to my enjoyment.  I watched a few episodes of RoP on laptop in same fashion and it didnt change my dislike of Rings at all.

damnit. they've cheated me.

I've been watching it streaming, at "best" video quality; uses almost 7 gb per hours. I downloaded it at "optimum" video quality, which uses 2 gb per hour. and yet the "optimum" quality is a lot better. I can finally see what happens in the fight with lan.

thank you for the tip. now I will watch all new episodes like that

41 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

damnit. they've cheated me.

I've been watching it streaming, at "best" video quality; uses almost 7 gb per hours. I downloaded it at "optimum" video quality, which uses 2 gb per hour. and yet the "optimum" quality is a lot better. I can finally see what happens in the fight with lan.

thank you for the tip. now I will watch all new episodes like that

Yea its so weird.  I have a 4k tv I was watching it on in bedroom.  But thats worst spot in house for my wifi so I thought it might have been just auto adjusting quality down.  Now I think the downloaded quality is just actually better.  May start doing that with other shows and see if I have been missing things on them.

I like Greene. Most of his criticisms seem to be about the show departing from the books. He seemed especially disappointed by not seeing Lan and Rand together. Egwene and Elayne keeping a mournful vigil seems to have gone over his head. Maybe he just missed Elayne's comment that she would stay with Egwene to keep vigil as long as she needed.

Edited by Agitel

• Community Administrator
29 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I like Greene. Most of his criticisms seem to be about the show departing from the books. He seemed especially disappointed by not seeing Lan and Rand together. Egwene and Elayne keeping a mournful vigil seems to have gone over his head. Maybe he just missed Elayne's comment that she would stay with Egwene to keep vigil as long as she needed.

Yeah, he completely missed a line about Elayne going to fetch the blankets. Like he stepped out of the room (BRB style) and never bothered to rewatch the scene(s).

This is probably one of the few shows I've ever rewatched (within the first week of release) just to catch small details I've missed. Most shows I rewatch, I typically do so years later, and they tend to be of the comedy variety or procedural variety. (The IT Crowd. CSI, etc).

I will definitely say, episodes 1-3 were better on 2nd watch then 1st watch. 

I really do believe “comparison is the death of joy”. And that’s what I think happened for Daniel Greene. When I make a conscious effort not to compare it to the books, S2 is really good Tv and writing so far. 

There’s lots of “set ups” and unanswered questions and misdirections. 

Min is working with Liandrin? 
Liandrin, a man hating Red has a secret son? How does something Min will do to Matt free them both from Moiraine? And where is Matt headed?
Selene seems shady, but Rands a little crazy too- what’s gonna happen there? 
Lan and Moiraine are splitting up? 
What’s Bayle Domon gonna do? Fades still hunting him? 
Is Elyas gonna train Perrin, Perrin is afraid of becoming a wolf? What exactly is Perrins power? Seeing past visions? 
Uno is dead. Who else is expendable? 
I wonder what Verin will do in this season? 

Lots of questions. I do hope that at least one of the male characters gets to “shine” like Nynaeve has through the first season and half…hopefully Rand 😉

Edited by DreadLord31

On 9/5/2023 at 11:41 PM, Chivalry said:

I'm having a hard time getting past the pacifier. It's kind of distracting.

I’d like more book faithfulness, but pacifier doesn’t bother me.  I want the a’dam to be more faithful to its description like the necklace worn by the man in this art:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/566749934333612551/

I would also prefer to damane to be more submissive and portrayed like dogs on a leash.  I don’t believe non- readers quite know what is taking place with them. Which is ok, because not everything needs to be spoon fed.

I don’t like where Rand is up to this point.  He is playing house with a…..er…..Selene who is out of character running a bar. Ok.

No sword training, no Lord Rand arc, no "duty is as heavy as a mountain….”, etc.

I guess when Rafe said Rand isn’t the hero of the story he meant, “I am going to diminish Rand’s importance to the story.”  In the books there were many heroes with the hero of destiny in the middle.

Edited by Cipher

Interesting episode 4.... kind of slow, but alot of action packed into the last couple minutes.  that last scene was shocking and now we have to explain this new ability the forsaken apparently have.  looking at the spots in eyes it is likely related to the true power.  And how is Moiraine going to run fast enough away from that?  

Also it makes me wonder what Ishamaels plan are for Matt in Shienar.  

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

My initial reaction to zombie lanfear was negative, but I think it’ll add to her scariness being able to regenerate like that…hopefully

Two things.

1. She had Saa in her eyes after she blinked. 

SPOILER_F5hLf8wX0AAz7F6.png

2. Eye of the World Aginor literally regrew his face after embracing the source.

58 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I can't imagine show-Ishy being beaten as easily as book-Ishy and I'm all here for it. Same for other Forsaken, please make them capable and dangerous

100% agree! Let's make them more than an obstacle, lean into the horror and make them scary capable.

The Forsaken povs in the books are incredibly fun and fascinating, and so far i think Ishy and Lanfear have some of the best scenes, Fares and Natasha are killing it.

I do still hope they keep the Dark One transmigration souls, on top of the TP healing it would make them more formidable. I get it could be confusing but it was also confusing in the books, even other Forsaken werent sure who they were, though they guessed correctly.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about a seal per Forsaken, they should all be free around about now. I guess it could be misinformation.?

9 minutes ago, A Memory Of Why said:

100% agree! Let's make them more than an obstacle, lean into the horror and make them scary capable.

The Forsaken povs in the books are incredibly fun and fascinating, and so far i think Ishy and Lanfear have some of the best scenes, Fares and Natasha are killing it.

I really like how they play psychological games with our heroes.

-Perrin and his wolf-side. Ishy said to him "the more you use it the closer you get to me" or something like that

-Rand and his sword&powers. He kills the people he loves in his dreams.

-Min and her wish to get rid of her powers. The tel'aran'rhiod scene with Ishy was exceptional. The lighting, eery vibe, Ishy "glitching"/skipping some frames. Chef's kiss.

Liandrin is a whole another game with Nynaeve. Awesome.

So far the villain side has been better than in the (early) books IMO.