DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

30 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

on the other hand, tv rand is a lot more strongly attached to egwene than book rand, so I'd not like it if he was unfaithful - possibly they break up first? also, i'd rather they not go full sex. there's no reason to. some smooching would be the best compromise to accomodate book faithfulness and tv characterization

In the show, the other EF5 characters all think Rand is dead; he won't see Egwene before starting things with Selene. And based on the Amazon poster bios that came out -- strong indications there that it's more than kissing. Here, let me quote what they write for Selene: "A fiery, independent woman working as an innkeeper in the Foregate, the poorest part of the wealthy city of Cairhein. She lives for the moment, forming a 'no-strings-attached' relationship with Rand."  ... 

It's not a big change. I just have fears they are going to do the men of the WoT dirty like they did last season. I mean, I'm convinced at this point that they are cutting Gaul ... 😥

They are also majorly "messing" with backstories ... listen to what they have for Min: "Born a Seer with the ability to glimpse someone's future, Min was forced by her aunties to become a carnival attraction until she escaped. She has traveled from city to city, bar to bar, avoiding attachments and the Aes Sedai, who either want to study her or use her." 

But, I'm ok with changes. As long as they are the changes I would make 😅 Like these ones:

Spoiler

How about we just kill Gawyn immediately; better yet, have Galad kill him in the coup and that's a motivation for joining the Whitecloaks in the first place (they brain-washed his 1/2 brother)! Cut 4/5's of the Perrin and Faile story-arc. Cut almost all the material from books 9-10, in fact. Have Couladin die sooner. Cut most of the Black-Ajah hunting. Cut most of the Andoran succession plot. Cut the Thom/Elayne stuff, gross. Cut the Thom/Moiraine relationship; didn't make sense. Cut the Kin entirely and most of the Sea-Folk/Bowl of Winds. Add more with Logain (glad they're doing this). Give us more scenes with the Forsaken and cut the ones who don't do anything (glad they're doing this). Through Galad, make the Whitecloaks more nuanced as a Foil (show is gonna botch this for sure and make the Whitecloaks worse than the Forsaken). Through Tuon and Matt (try to make us both understand and agree with the Seanchan perspective on the OP and women who can wield it... show is gonna botch that and have the Seanchan be more "evil" than the Dark-One himself.) Hmmm ... what else?

Edited by DreadLord31

28 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

She lives for the moment, forming a 'no-strings-attached' relationship with Rand."  ... 

That line made me laugh for real. Though Lanfear isn't The Spider, so much of the books' description of the Forsaken maneuvering uses web and string metaphors. I'm glad they at least put it in quotes to differentiate their potential FWB relationship from the scheming.

Edited by Kaleb

4 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

it has lost some of its impact now on re reading.

Not at all. What Donaldson doesn't write in that scene is exactly what makes it so powerful. The scene hits you emotionally in all the right places, and yet it doesn't beat you over the head with salacious details.

4 minutes ago, Samt said:

That ship already sailed. Book Rand in general knows how to keep it in his pants in a way that show Rand obviously doesn't. 

Why? Because he was intimate with his long-time boyhood crush? Why are we assuming that Rand is suddenly going to become some sort of playboy? 

We have one scene of a kiss on a mountaintop, and everyone assumes Rand is gonna bang her? Maybe instead of "I'm too awkward to understand that this beautiful woman wants me" this version of Rand will find some insight into Selene's bad motives and choose not to bang her. Sorta like in the room alone with the darkfriend.

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

Why? Because he was intimate with his long-time boyhood crush? Why are we assuming that Rand is suddenly going to become some sort of playboy? 

We have one scene of a kiss on a mountaintop, and everyone assumes Rand is gonna bang her? Maybe instead of "I'm too awkward to understand that this beautiful woman wants me" this version of Rand will find some insight into Selene's bad motives and choose not to bang her. Sorta like in the room alone with the darkfriend.

At this point Selene's identity reveal will occur while banging Rand in a bathtub while both are chanelling and burning down the foregate while Asmodean/ Errol is playing violin watching the 2 through a burning privacy screen.  

1 hour ago, Guire said:

At this point Selene's identity reveal will occur while banging Rand in a bathtub while both are chanelling and burning down the foregate while Asmodean/ Errol is playing violin watching the 2 through a burning privacy screen

I think @Elder_Haman hasn't 'girded his loins' enough, whereas you've got on the full body armor. Aren't going to break my heart with your massive book departures, I'm prepared for a full-on crap-shoot. LoL 

Interesting that you think Errol is Asmodean? I would like that -- but I don't think the writers are actually that clever. They want "new" material. Errol is (most likely) a completely made-up character (and maybe? a figment of Rand's imagination/madness). And we're going to see a shielded Moiraine run away from Lan, and have more of her in Cairhein working with a network of spies and playing her version of Game of Houses. We're gonna get a bunch of Liandrin/Matt in the first episode -- something like,

Liandrin: "Men are all garbage." Matt: "I might be bad at my core, but I'm good too!" 

I don't think Rand does "resist temptation", which, again, is a major departure from book Rand and does the EF5 men dirty. 

From everything I've heard, here's where we need to be at ... 

It's going to be much different than the books (but still have the 'spirit' of the books?), but it's going to be pretty good T.V! 

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

We have one scene of a kiss on a mountaintop, and everyone assumes Rand is gonna bang her?

there was a scene in the winespring inn where they were both topless, with the clear implication that they had sex.

Maybe instead of "I'm too awkward to understand that this beautiful woman wants me" this version of Rand will find some insight into Selene's bad motives and choose not to bang her. Sorta like in the room alone with the darkfriend.

i would like that. from the beginning, even before she was revelaed as a foresaken, there was clearly somegthing wrong with her. she reeked of ambition, and not the good kind.

53 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

there was a scene in the winespring inn where they were both topless, with the clear implication that they had sex.

Sure. But not being a virgin is not the same thing as being comfortable hopping into bed with just anyone. My point is that the fact that Rand and Egwene had sex does not necessarily mean Rand is going to bone down with Selene.

21 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

My point is that the fact that Rand and Egwene had sex does not necessarily mean Rand is going to bone down with Selene.

You don't think the character bio of "forms a no-strings-attached" relationship with Rand implies that they are going to do more than kiss? 

Just now, DreadLord31 said:

You don't think the character bio of "forms a no-strings-attached" relationship with Rand implies that they are going to do more than kiss? 

Implies? Sure. But I think it's jumping the gun to assume that's what it will be. Maybe it means they make out and he thinks its serious, before she starts flirting openly with other men. Maybe it means that she teases him, drawing him in before rejecting consummation, then encouraging him to go be with other women. Lots of different ways it could play out without ever having sexy time.

15 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Implies? Sure. But I think it's jumping the gun to assume that's what it will be. Maybe it means they make out and he thinks its serious, before she starts flirting openly with other men. Maybe it means that she teases him, drawing him in before rejecting consummation, then encouraging him to go be with other women. Lots of different ways it could play out without ever having sexy time.

Sure... it is 'jumping the gun' ... but I feel like it's a reasonable guess based on what we've seen in S1 and seen so far of S2... I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't mind it one bit if they use Selene as temptress and have Rand resist, that could be very intriguing. 

It was a bit jarring, been thinking about it and it could be a good change, we'll see.

Honestly guys, what does Lanfear actually accomplish? Other than the secret ending, for a fabled evil seductress she doesn't really get much done.

And we've only got maybe two seasons to showcase how crazy she is, I'm guessing season 3 will end with the confrontation.

Having her be intimate with Rand I think could work...

A) it'd be nice to have more competent Forsaken

B) it's a scary thought, a litteral devil on the shoulder of the most dangerous person in the world

C) it'll go a long way to "show" her possessiveness and jealousy, instead of just being horny for a soul

D) help show why Rand doesn't just balefire her and give him some motivation for his silly "don't wanna hurt girls". You know if he can't kill an evil woman to save his friends how can he send maidens to their death? Or some such..

I get it, I miss innocent Rand and Cairhien in TGH was fun.. 😢 

What I'm saying is.. Loins girded here.. triple girded!

I do hope they cast multiple people for Lanfear & her different appearances. 
And I do hope we have more nuanced and competent Forsaken. 
Addison from Everyday Negros, who hasn’t read tGH, picked up on the fact that Lanfear is giving Rand terrible advice (even from that short teaser); said something like “That’s dictator level stuff. You don’t tell the most powerful man in the world…Just take what you want.” 

Just now, DreadLord31 said:

I do hope they cast multiple people for Lanfear & her different appearances. 
And I do hope we have more nuanced and competent Forsaken. 
Addison from Everyday Negros, who hasn’t read tGH, picked up on the fact that Lanfear is giving Rand terrible advice (even from that short teaser); said something like “That’s dictator level stuff. You don’t tell the most powerful man in the world…Just take what you want.” 

I love that channel.

8 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

Oh. And the “new thing” we got today, was a big ole nothing. It’s Rand, Moiraine, and Lan standing holding torches (but I think it’s a background and not even from a Lan actual scene)! Laaame. Was hoping for a second trailer…it’s 1 week away! 

As far as I am concerned to much has been given away already. I don’t want any spoilers or any hints given away, especially when it leads to people making wild suppositions about everything that is going to be wrong with the next season lol. But generally I try and avoid trailers, ever since the cabin in the woods which was a great movie spoilt by the massive plot twist being front and centre to the trailer lol.