DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

4 hours ago, Vartija said:

And especially Ba'alzamon who fed the boys stories of false dragons and how Tar Valon would put him on a leash. And underneath it all the "stubbornness of Two River folk" who do exactly opposite what other people want them to. 

those are actually the parts where the book characterization fell flat.
I mean, on one hand, there's moiraine. there's stories about aes sedai, sure, but what you know is that she saved your life and your village and she healed people. on the other side, there's the dark one. you know, the one bound on shaiol gul with all the foresaken and all that stuff, it's your very cathecism. he sent trollocs after you, and those trollocs killed indiscriminately everywhere they go.

who do you trust more?

as for two river stubborness, seems more like a charicature.
I think the tv show did right in having moiraine kill the boatman, even though the scene wasn't very well executed.

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I'd say the books also did at best a fair job there

Really? I would say that being put in a box and being taken out only to be beaten would cause quite a bit of mistrust 😂

And Elaida was shady from book1. 

And I think book and show have done a decent job of showing the nuance to: not all Aes Sedai are alike. Liandrin has got the RBF down. Alanna has warned Moiraine about the dangers of the WT. Tv Thom was the best part of the show & he definitely, albeit briefly, warned the boys not to go to Tar Valon. 

I guess, for me, I didn’t like RJ’s obsession with WT politicking. Wish the show would cut most of that. But I think Rafe has said that, that’s one of his favorite parts — so I can be disappointed without being able to complain “it’s not like the books!” 

14 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

Really? I would say that being put in a box and being taken out only to be beaten would cause quite a bit of mistrust 😂

that happens later. i'm referring mostly to the fal dara meeting where rand goes all "i won't be your false dragon on a leash" stupidiy.

but we're going offtopic. if more posts are made on the subject, perhaps a mod should move them to a new thread

17 minutes ago, Samt said:

Who is that with Mat? Is that Min? Can I say again that it’s really weird they cast someone in her late 30s to play Min?

I assumed Min.  She did have 'experience' before meeting Rand and the gang - so a bit older wouldn't bother me.

Older actors are often cast as younger characters - some more successfully than others.

4 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I assumed Min.  She did have 'experience' before meeting Rand and the gang - so a bit older wouldn't bother me.

Older actors are often cast as younger characters - some more successfully than others.

Min is 23 at the beginning of the books.  She just seemed old to 18 year old Rand.  Also, the actress looked every bit of 38 in season 1 and just never felt like she had Min’s energy to me.

Keep in mind she’ll probably be closer to 50 by the end if this goes 8 seasons.

Edited by Samt

1 hour ago, Samt said:

Min is 23 at the beginning of the books.  She just seemed old to 18 year old Rand.  Also, the actress looked every bit of 38 in season 1 and just never felt like she had Min’s energy to me.

Keep in mind she’ll probably be closer to 50 by the end if this goes 8 seasons.

Min was always close to 30 in my head canon. Josha is already 28 while Kae is 38. Their age gap is bang on for me because Josha is more mature than book-Rand.

38 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Min was always close to 30 in my head canon. Josha is already 28 while Kae is 38. Their age gap is bang on for me because Josha is more mature than book-Rand.

Did we get confirmation of how old the EF5 are supposed to be in the show? 

I looked up how old Kae Alexander is based on my initial impression that she looked way too old to be Min.  I was actually surprised that she is as young as she is (ie. she looks older to me).  

1 hour ago, Samt said:

I looked up how old Kae Alexander is based on my initial impression that she looked way too old to be Min.  I was actually surprised that she is as young as she is (ie. she looks older to me).  

IIRC, only Egwene is older in age and all of them are more mature

1 hour ago, Samt said:

I was thinking same thing about Mins age over 10 year run.  But Rand will age also so age difference shouldnt be to wonky.  The Lanfear Rand combo kind of has me hopeful.  

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

IIRC, only Egwene is older in age and all of them are more mature

Meaning that although the actors are older, the characters of Matt, Perrin, and Rand are still supposed to start out as almost 18 in the show?

• Community Administrator
23 minutes ago, Samt said:

Meaning that although the actors are older, the characters of Matt, Perrin, and Rand are still supposed to start out as almost 18 in the show?

It's funny, because Rand's 19 or 20 at the start of the books.

Egwene however is 16-17.

Anybody notice the little faded battle at the corners of each poster? I think it’s a Shinaran fighting a Seanchan! 

also. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a bunch more complaining about the Avi appearance/casting. Dreads? Ok, go… 😉 

Edited by DreadLord31

18 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

I think she looks older because of her tattoos but then that's just my impression. As someone without tattoos, I'm probably biased. 

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Apparently Prime app shows S2 air time to be 8AM GMT / 3AM ET. That's 10AM for me. Much better than the 2AM of S1 😁

So you didnt like going back to bed with trollocs, fades, and Ishy dancing in your head? Probably good they changed it. Experiencing Lanfear in middle of the night is definately too much.

4 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a bunch more complaining about the Avi appearance/casting. Dreads?

Complaining about artistic direction is no longer fun :). On a more serious note, the character lives and dies on whatever the scripwriters have for it and how the actor/actress can deliver. So I reserve any judgment until I've seen her in action. To me, it's like Rand's shaven head - I don't think it's right, but it's a minor issue, all things considered.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, Samt said:

Also, the actress looked every bit of 38 in season 1 and just never felt like she had Min’s energy to me.

Nail on the head. The portrayal as acted fit well a world-weary person well into her thirties, not the Min of the books.

Even though they seem to have aged the characters, that's still too much of a gap. Especially as Josha Stradowski does pass somewhat convincingly for someone in his late teens/early twenties.