DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

It's interesting you say this... because there's thing in books and TV called foreshadowing.

Where we see something early on that hints at a future event, and it might be a red herring as to who is the catalyst for that future event. Sometimes foreshadowed events mirror future events. Like how Steppin and Kerene mirror Lan and Moiraine.

Take Moiraine being shielded in episode 8.

Now look at what happened to Liandrin in Fires of Heaven via Moggy.
Mogi wove an incredibly complex inverted weave shielding Liandrin permanently... unless she could find someone to remove it. (She never did)

Moggy said "You will live, not stilled but knowing you could channel again if only you found someone to untie your shield; Yet that is only the beginning."

In the show, Ishy said to Moiraine. 
"Must be an awful feeling. To know the One Power is there, just at the end of your fingertips... but you can't quite touch it."

If they Keep Liandrin's arc intact in the show, where this event still happens. Then her arc was foreshadowed by what happened to Moiraine via Ishy.

This series has always been about the binary between genders. About the mirrors between men and women. In the show it seems we're getting binary reflections beyond just the male and female kind.

Really?  Foreshadowing?  Good to know.  😁

• Community Administrator
23 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Yes. See, they show one character learn something to show the audience a concept, only for another character to use that same concept later on to do something completely different on a much grander level...

44 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Yes. See, they show one character learn something to show the audience a concept, only for another character to use that same concept later on to do something completely different on a much grander level...

I'm just wondering if Nynaeve comes up with the cleansing process rather than Rand.  🤔

On 8/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, DreadLord31 said:

Is everyone enjoying the new scenes?  

• Darkfriend social
  • Nynaeve before going into the 3 rings
  • Rand and Selene romance
  • Ishamael freeing Lanfear from her prison
  • White tower novice lesson with Alanna

Plus the picture of Rand in his red coat.  The details are not exactly the books, but attention to detail is definitely shining the spirit of the books.  Definitely much more so than season one, which had so many changes.  Some here definitely need to 'gird their loins' for the changes, but this looks to be a genuinely good tv season so far.

If they stick the landing this time and pull off a battle on the scale of 'gladiator and Cleopatra' they were hyping up. this could bring in some new eyeballs too.  I thought the blood calls blood scene was fantastic, and Fares Fares is making his case to be one of my favorites.

Hope everyone is ready and may the show be good so we can spread the message to our network of non fans out there and do Amazon's marketing job for them.  

Screenshot_20230830-070725_X.jpg

Edited by Pandemonium

3 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Is everyone enjoying the new scenes?  

• Darkfriend social - haven't seen yet
  • Nynaeve before going into the 3 rings - really liked this one
  • Rand and Selene romance - really disliked this one
  • Ishamael freeing Lanfear from her prison - haven't seen yet
  • White tower novice lesson with Alanna - liked it - book Nynaeve to a T

Just now, DojoToad said:

I'm just wondering if Nynaeve comes up with the cleansing process rather than Rand.  🤔

Yes. That's going to be a WAFO

But, that's how foreshadowing, and binary/mirrors work.

What happens to Karene foreshadows what people believe happens to Moiraine.
Steppin's Fate mirrors what could have been Lan's fate, had everyone not stepped in and intervened.

The Karene/Stepping Moiraine/Lan Foreshadow/Mirror is an imperfect mirror because as we know, Moiraine didn't actually die. 

But, seeing as this is a TV show they can set up similar events to show us the audience something that's similar to foreshadow and mirror future events to give us that AHAH! moment.

We have Nynaeve obsessed with healing. That she's the best healer as she uses all 5 powers. She doesn't make the person use their own body to heal themselves. She uses the power to heal the body, so they don't kill themselves in the process of healing... Effectively true healing, not combat healing.

But it's Egwene that effectively develops the ability to heal the pattern. She was the one that was able to heal diseases that Nynaeve never could.

So the series has always had this thing where someone does something similar (Nynaeve see's someone purifying water), but it could be someone else who actually figures out how to purify the taint...

In the clip with Alanna teaching the novices, Nynaeve states that, "No one should have that kind of power" or something similar and it struck me that that's the exact view of Whitecloaks! and in fact Valda said something similar to Egwene when she and Perrin were captured. 

I wonder if after that scene, Egwene tells Nynaeve about Valda. It think that would make for a powerful moment and maybe help Nynaeve 

8 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

It's interesting you say this... because there's thing in books and TV called foreshadowing.

Where we see something early on that hints at a future event, and it might be a red herring as to who is the catalyst for that future event. Sometimes foreshadowed events mirror future events. Like how Steppin and Kerene mirror Lan and Moiraine.

Take Moiraine being shielded in episode 8.

Now look at what happened to Liandrin in Fires of Heaven via Moggy.
Mogi wove an incredibly complex inverted weave shielding Liandrin permanently... unless she could find someone to remove it. (She never did)

Moggy said "You will live, not stilled but knowing you could channel again if only you found someone to untie your shield; Yet that is only the beginning."

In the show, Ishy said to Moiraine. 
"Must be an awful feeling. To know the One Power is there, just at the end of your fingertips... but you can't quite touch it."

If they Keep Liandrin's arc intact in the show, where this event still happens. Then her arc was foreshadowed by what happened to Moiraine via Ishy.

This series has always been about the binary between genders. About the mirrors between men and women. In the show it seems we're getting binary reflections beyond just the male and female kind.

So if the reflections are non-binary, could we say they are pan-reflections?

On 8/30/2023 at 9:34 AM, DojoToad said:

Very much how she acted in the books while trying to learn control of channeling.

Interesting cleansing drill they performed in the kitchens.  Looks like a possible change to a major upcoming event - or at least who came up with the idea of how to pull it off.

I mean Nyn remains an obstinate child right up until Egwene has the talk with her, about how as the youngest wisdom she had to earn the respect of the women’s circle and how she herself is undermining Egwene. Think that is book 12? So we have a long way to go of this if it is to stay true to the books. 

19 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I do wonder, with the book writing process, how much of the foreshadowing was fully intentional, and how much did RJ leave open ended threads that later on he decided how to tie off. For instance the rumour that for a while Taim was Demandred until RJ changed his mind, or what was in the letter to Thom from Morraine. 

I read an interview years ago with an author who said openly that his readers think he is far more clever then he appears, he writes his books one page at a time and while he has a rough idea in his head of a beginning middle and end he generally lets his characters react to the situations he puts them in and has stuff happen to them. Later on he might pick up that the gem in one key scene was green and so he can tie that back to the bad guy 2 books later to make them think he was behind it all along when, honestly, that bad guy wasn’t even thought of when the book was written. 

Tolkein did this as well, retconning the hobbit to make it fit the wider mythology so the ring went from a standard magic ring to becoming the ring of power. 

Early spoiler free reviews from Unraveling the Pattern, Nae'Blis, KritterXD and Malkier Talks are all out.

They all seem to agree that the Quality of the show, across the board, has been improved.  The Pacing has slowed down for the first 3 episodes that allow of character breathing room.  Many scenes are referenced directly from the books even if the scene itself contains different characters.  And some big scenes that are very very different.

Can't wait for tonight.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-episodes-1-4-review-prime-video

Yikes this review is not great.  Too much time spent on Moirane and not interesting time. Rand has an erotic dream with real life fire, Perrins brooding over his fridged wife, and lots of characters and not much action.  They said white tower scenes were good

also no more pattern intro at beginning of show.

I'm still watching but it sounds like alot of the same problems from season 1 creeping in

Edited by Pandemonium

16 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-episodes-1-4-review-prime-video

Yikes this review is not great.  Too much time spent on Moirane and not interesting time. Rand has an erotic dream with real life fire, Perrins brooding over his fridged wife, and lots of characters and not much action.  

I'm still watching but it sounds like alot of the same problems from season 1 creeping in

Of all the early reviews, IGN is the sole detractor so far.

What I find odd... Who reviewed it? Who wrote the article? I can't find any name attached to that article at all.

Unlike IGN's 2021 article here. You can clearly see who wrote the review for the first 3 episodes of season 3.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-review-episode-1-3

It's pretty sus to not want your name attached to an article you write for a magazine/website.

Should also be noted that IGN also gave Season 1 Episode 8, a 9 out of 10
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-finale-review
and Episode 7 a 5 out of 10
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-episode-7-review-the-dark-along-the-ways

And they called Blood snow excessively long and gory. 

So I tend to take their show review with a grain of salt. lol 

7 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Of all the early reviews, IGN is the sole detractor so far.

What I find odd..

Who reviewed it? I can't find their name attached to the article at all. Unlike IGN's 2021 article here.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-review-episode-1-3

Should also be noted that IGN also gave Episode 8, a 9 out of 10
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-finale-review
and Episode 7 a 5 out of 10
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-wheel-of-time-episode-7-review-the-dark-along-the-ways

And they called Blood snow excessively long and gory. 

So I tend to take their show review with a grain of salt. lol 

Interesting, haven't had a chance to read the article yet but I saw a few people talking about it on reddit and wondering if the reviewer had watched season 1.

Edited by Skipp

Just now, Skipp said:

Interesting, haven't had a chance to read the article yet but I saw a few people talking about it in youtube comments and wondering if the reviewer had watched season 1.

A lot of people think whoever wrote it, just recycled a season 1 review, because it goes against what a lot of what other people are saying...

51 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Reviews, good or bad, don't matter overmuch to me.  I read them and find them interesting, but the only review that really matters is mine.  😎

Bingo. I've enjoyed all the preview scenes so far so I'm going in with an optimistic mindset.  I'll experience my own reactions to the show, not some random review.  

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/08/08/the-wheel-of-time-star-barney-harris-issued-legal-complaints-quash-misinformation-about-why-he-left/

not seen this link anywhere on the forum yet, indications that the “Anti Vax” reasons given for Barney where false (I always through it strange that he could be anti vax before a vaccine was created). 

1 minute ago, Scarloc99 said:

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/08/08/the-wheel-of-time-star-barney-harris-issued-legal-complaints-quash-misinformation-about-why-he-left/

not seen this link anywhere on the forum yet, indications that the “Anti Vax” reasons given for Barney where false (I always through it strange that he could be anti vax before a vaccine was created). 

I saw that a few weeks ago. It never really got put here because we never really entertained the idea that Barney left because he was anti-vax. He left for personal reasons.