DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

31 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm concerned about the lack of news about season 4. if they want to air a season before greenlighting the next one, they won't be able to launch more than one season every 2 years. which is way too slow

Yeah. Hoping to have some S4 news soon. 

Brandon Sanderson tried (very hard) to change one character arc on the Wheel of Time show

"Sorry about Perrin on the show," he told the massive crowd of people, "It's not my fault. I tried. Oh, how I tried..."

"There are certain things," said the Stormlight Archives scribe, "Certain forces moving. You know that Jeff Bezos, at one point, said, 'I want Game of Thrones, buy it for me.' And they were like, 'You can't have Game of Thrones,’ and he was like, 'Buy me something that is my Game of Thrones' And there are certain forces at work."

Apparently, those 'forces' made choices about the character of Perrin Aybara ("my boy Perrin," Sanderson calls him), that Sanderson didn't agree with. So when he found out about the show's intentions, Sanderson came up with an idea of his own and brought it to showrunner Rafe Judkins.

"Rafe really went to bat for me," Sanderson says. "I presented a completely different thing to do with Perrin that would still get what they wanted. Minor spoilers for the television show’s first episode - but instead of the first big event that happens, [my idea was] what if he wounds Master Luhhan? He's worried about the rage inside of him - you can get all the same beats without doing the thing that you did, and then he also won't be traumatized for the entire first season. And he can actually go on fun adventures with friends."

But despite all of Sanderson's credibility with the Wheel of Time series (not to mention the fantasy genre as a whole) and the fact that the showrunner was on his side, his idea was scrapped. "They took it all the way to the higher-ups and fought for my version of it," Sanderson told the crowd, "and they said no."

1 hour ago, Kaleb said:

Brandon Sanderson tried (very hard) to change one character arc on the Wheel of Time show

"Sorry about Perrin on the show," he told the massive crowd of people, "It's not my fault. I tried. Oh, how I tried..."

"There are certain things," said the Stormlight Archives scribe, "Certain forces moving. You know that Jeff Bezos, at one point, said, 'I want Game of Thrones, buy it for me.' And they were like, 'You can't have Game of Thrones,’ and he was like, 'Buy me something that is my Game of Thrones' And there are certain forces at work."

Apparently, those 'forces' made choices about the character of Perrin Aybara ("my boy Perrin," Sanderson calls him), that Sanderson didn't agree with. So when he found out about the show's intentions, Sanderson came up with an idea of his own and brought it to showrunner Rafe Judkins.

"Rafe really went to bat for me," Sanderson says. "I presented a completely different thing to do with Perrin that would still get what they wanted. Minor spoilers for the television show’s first episode - but instead of the first big event that happens, [my idea was] what if he wounds Master Luhhan? He's worried about the rage inside of him - you can get all the same beats without doing the thing that you did, and then he also won't be traumatized for the entire first season. And he can actually go on fun adventures with friends."

But despite all of Sanderson's credibility with the Wheel of Time series (not to mention the fantasy genre as a whole) and the fact that the showrunner was on his side, his idea was scrapped. "They took it all the way to the higher-ups and fought for my version of it," Sanderson told the crowd, "and they said no."

This is quite interesting.  It's not the first time that I heard Sanderson talk about his misgivings about the fridging, but I hadn't realized the extent to which he is implying that major creative choices are being made at a level far above Rafe.  Someone with a lot of power wants the story to be different.  

On 4/29/2024 at 7:35 AM, king of nowhere said:

I'm concerned about the lack of news about season 4. if they want to air a season before greenlighting the next one, they won't be able to launch more than one season every 2 years. which is way too slow

If they follow their previous patterns we might hear about Season 4 in June/July.  At least according to the people on twitter who track these types of things.