DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

2 minutes ago, Rhaze said:

Yep, season 1 was so terribly bad (long before Mat's actor left) that I had no intentions at all of watching season 2. Thank goodness my daughter started watching it in the living room and I was "forced" to have it in the background. It didnt take long before I turned away from the game I was playing on the pc and started watching it. Then after she went to sleep I went back to the beginning of season 2 and rewatched the first 3 episodes. Season 2 is night and day different from season 1, which is kind of funny when you look back at all the people defending season 1 when it was playing. Season 1 was an atrocity.

I don't have the same passionate hatred for Season 1 that you do. But it definitely left me feeling deflated and concerned for the longevity of the show.

I was thinking back this morning on my first experience with The Eye of the World. I was just a lad at the time, but was voraciously consuming fantasy fiction. I read a ton. And I remember being sort of confused and unhappy with the way book 1 ended. In fact, if I hadn't bought the first three books as a set, I probably wouldn't have continued with the series. I decided to read the Great Hunt anyway, and then the Dragon Reborn. By the time I finished Shadow Rising, I was committed to buying the hardcover within the first week after a new book dropped.

The show feels like it's following the same paradigm. Which is sort of fitting...

i liked most of season 1 and I like most of season 2. it is true there is nothing in S2 I dislike as much as bits of s1e7&8. (not the eye of the world itself, I was fine with that and enjoyed it, but the battle with the Trollocs and Agelmar etc I found really upsetting.) 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

i liked most of season 1 and I like most of season 2. it is true there is nothing in S2 I dislike as much as bits of s1e7&8. (not the eye of the world itself, I was fine with that and enjoyed it, but the battle with the Trollocs and Agelmar etc I found really upsetting.) 

I'd say that if there is near universal agreement on anything, it's that Tarwin's Gap was the worst part of season 1.

15 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I don't have the same passionate hatred for Season 1 that you do. But it definitely left me feeling deflated and concerned for the longevity of the show.

I was thinking back this morning on my first experience with The Eye of the World. I was just a lad at the time, but was voraciously consuming fantasy fiction. I read a ton. And I remember being sort of confused and unhappy with the way book 1 ended. In fact, if I hadn't bought the first three books as a set, I probably wouldn't have continued with the series. I decided to read the Great Hunt anyway, and then the Dragon Reborn. By the time I finished Shadow Rising, I was committed to buying the hardcover within the first week after a new book dropped.

The show feels like it's following the same paradigm. Which is sort of fitting...

I had the same experience with WOT, in fact I bought the first 6 books, and had to try and restart EOTW about 3 times before I could get all the way through it, I just saw it being far to much a copy of lord of the rings and didn't want a 6 book (how naive I was thinking it was over in 6 books), bad lord of the rings ripoff

13 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I'd say that if there is near universal agreement on anything, it's that Tarwin's Gap was the worst part of season 1.

While not coming out and saying it straight Rafe has made enough comments about the end of season 1 that I think he equally is disappointed in himself. The fact he said that Loial being stabbed by the shadow blade and no effect was a covid mistake, and that the saving of Nynaeve by Egwene using herbs (which if it had landed would have been a great bit of foreshadowing) landed badly shows he has had a long hard look at that episode. Personally I had no issue with the artistic choices, to have the girls at the gap for instance while Rand fought Ishy, my issues with it where all to do with production, editing and dialogue. 

Edited by Scarloc99

10 hours ago, Ralph said:

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/10/09/the-wheel-of-time-season-3-gets-very-ambitious-lots-new-characters-moiraine-lan/

Lots to chew over here. 

and of course the bait to get the anti-woke warriors to explode is there as well

I love the big cast in the books but the way the series is going it really needs to be streamlined theres little enough time ATM for main cast development without trying to jam in lots of the smaller book characters.

But why try and bait people into attacking the show this constant trend of studios attacking the fans is just madness. 

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

It is interesting in this article that he talks about giving Egewene her big moment and how in the books Nyn was there but Rafe wanted it to be a moment for Eg.  Yet then in the show he took Rand’s big moment where he was alone fighting Ishamael in the books and made that a moment for…Egwene…

On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, Elder_Haman said:

I almost wish they had said, "because of covid we will have to animate Tarwins gap, because otherwise the 2 trollocs and 2 defenders we are allowed on set are not allowed within 6 feet of each other, and pole arm fighting looks really dull. 

I would love to see the storyboard of that scene before covid, what the plans where in terms of scale or numbers of extras etc. 

3 hours ago, Mirefox said:

It is interesting in this article that he talks about giving Egewene her big moment and how in the books Nyn was there but Rafe wanted it to be a moment for Eg.  Yet then in the show he took Rand’s big moment where he was alone fighting Ishamael in the books and made that a moment for…Egwene…

If RObert Jordan had known when he finished the great hunt that he would have 12 more books to tell this story I doubt he would have powered Rand up so quickly to make him able to go toe to toe with a forsaken power for power. In fact, when he realised he had more books to tell the story he Retconned Rand by having him "forget" how he did certain weaves and having the sickness of the taint impact his channeling. 

Rafe is lucky in that he can see the full arc of the story and build Rand slowly, but, in no way does Eg "take away" from Rands moment, that scene the 4 come together to barely hold their own against Ishy, it is only when Rand is freed that Ishy has any kind of concern, you see Egwene barely holding on, telling rand he needs to do something because she is going to die here. Then the shield is dropped and suddenly Rand takes over, un trained, walking into Ishy's fire, deflecting it. 

Where is that Rand's moment being lost? 

46 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

Wow, I'd like to see the size of the cheque Bezos cut to CBR for that puff piece. I like the show, but this is over the top.

Yeah, it’s a bit silly.  Early GoT is the benchmark and at its best, WoT is maybe on par with some of the worst of GoT.  I’d love for it to be competing for the title of Best Television Fantasy (popularity wise, not theme wise…keep the grimdark away from WoT) but it isn’t there.