DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

It's 1899, the somewhat impossible to describe without spoilers new show from Jantje Friese and Baran Bo Odar, the Dark creators. 1883 is the Yellowstone prequel.

It doesn't sound like availability is why he's not in season 2, though. It sounded more like his character isn't in season 2, so he went and did another show since he had the time. His role in 1899 was bigger than Thom, but still not huge and this was very much an ensemble show.

17 hours ago, DojoToad said:

So much Thom could have added to the show. Hard to see why Rafe is making the choices he is. But I’m biased as I really like Thom. Others maybe not as much…

I to like Thom and am a bit confused about the thinking here. 

In Great Hunt he is really only in the story to show he is still alive and end up killing a king off screen. He doesn't really achieve anything to help Rand find the horn, and in fact is against getting back into it with Rand. 

But In the Dragon Reborn he meets up with Mat in Tar Valon and they travel to Tear, now again his role in this is small, he backs up Mat in a fight on the boat, and then through getting ill leads Mat to where the girls have been taken to but from here he is too ill to do anything. 

Thom not being in the show suggests that they might somehow link the girls leaving in the great hunt and Mat leaving Tar Valon. I can't see them have the girls get to Tar Valon, be tricked into leaving to get taken by the Seanchan, to then return to Tar Valon and be sent away again to hunt the Black Ajah. My guess is that they will probably be sent to hunt the black ajah, starting in Falme and then leading to Tear etc. This means that we might get an entirely new journey for Mat getting him from Tar Valon to Tear. Or possibly the scenes of Mat trying to escape Tar Valon are all flashback scenes where we see the Dagger get taken and he gets healed another way? 

5 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I to like Thom and am a bit confused about the thinking here. 

In Great Hunt he is really only in the story to show he is still alive and end up killing a king off screen. He doesn't really achieve anything to help Rand find the horn, and in fact is against getting back into it with Rand. 

But In the Dragon Reborn he meets up with Mat in Tar Valon and they travel to Tear, now again his role in this is small, he backs up Mat in a fight on the boat, and then through getting ill leads Mat to where the girls have been taken to but from here he is too ill to do anything. 

Thom not being in the show suggests that they might somehow link the girls leaving in the great hunt and Mat leaving Tar Valon. I can't see them have the girls get to Tar Valon, be tricked into leaving to get taken by the Seanchan, to then return to Tar Valon and be sent away again to hunt the Black Ajah. My guess is that they will probably be sent to hunt the black ajah, starting in Falme and then leading to Tear etc. This means that we might get an entirely new journey for Mat getting him from Tar Valon to Tear. Or possibly the scenes of Mat trying to escape Tar Valon are all flashback scenes where we see the Dagger get taken and he gets healed another way? 

A lot to digest here.

We knew more changes from the books were coming, but it is sometimes still a shock when it hits you in the face.  We'll see how it goes...

11 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I can't see them have the girls get to Tar Valon, be tricked into leaving to get taken by the Seanchan, to then return to Tar Valon and be sent away again to hunt the Black Ajah. My guess is that they will probably be sent to hunt the black ajah, starting in Falme and then leading to Tear etc. This means that we might get an entirely new journey for Mat getting him from Tar Valon to Tear. Or possibly the scenes of Mat trying to escape Tar Valon are all flashback scenes where we see the Dagger get taken and he gets healed another way? 

I don't know how they will do it.  When I wrote 'my version' of an S2 - Basically, a set of stories combining as much as possible from Books 2 and 3 with the end of S1 as the starting place and Rand ruling in Tear as the ending place, the girls are never sent to hunt the Black Ajah.  They are tricked by Liandrin to be taken to Falme, like in the books, and Mat goes to Cairhien to find the ogier to help him use the Ways to follow them and rescue them.  Verin gives Mat a book and the dream Ter'angreal to give Egwene for her next assignment (in her distracted way), and 'accidentally' includes a list of all the sisters who snuck out of the Tower the same day that Leiandrin does, and the items they take.  Moiraine tells them about the Black Ajah, and they decide to go after the Black Ajah as part of their own decision once they learn that Suian has been deposed.  
Siuan, in my story, is deposed for not letting Mat die when Elaida has a foretelling that he will lead those who will come to attack the White Tower, and it happens right after Mat escapes the Tower.

Not saying they'll do it that way in the show.  They will do a different journey for Mat to get to Cairhien, and to Falme though...we have hints from screenings and comments that he will be at both.

(My version of S2:  A Version of Tomorrow - WhiteVeils - The Wheel of Time (TV), Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan [Archive of Our Own])

Edited by WhiteVeils

34 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I don't know how they will do it.  When I wrote 'my version' of an S2 - Basically, a set of stories combining as much as possible from Books 2 and 3 with the end of S1 as the starting place and Rand ruling in Tear as the ending place, the girls are never sent to hunt the Black Ajah.  They are tricked by Liandrin to be taken to Falme, like in the books, and Mat goes to Cairhien to find the ogier to help him use the Ways to follow them and rescue them.  Verin gives Mat a book and the dream Ter'angreal to give Egwene for her next assignment (in her distracted way), and 'accidentally' includes a list of all the sisters who snuck out of the Tower the same day that Leiandrin does, and the items they take.  Moiraine tells them about the Black Ajah, and they decide to go after the Black Ajah as part of their own decision once they learn that Suian has been deposed.  
Siuan, in my story, is deposed for not letting Mat die when Elaida has a foretelling that he will lead those who will come to attack the White Tower, and it happens right after Mat escapes the Tower.

Not saying they'll do it that way in the show.  They will do a different journey for Mat to get to Cairhien, and to Falme though...we have hints from screenings and comments that he will be at both.

(My version of S2:  A Version of Tomorrow - WhiteVeils - The Wheel of Time (TV), Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan [Archive of Our Own])

That all feels a bit more disjointed, I agree the girls will go to Falme and then to Tear, it might be that Siuan tells them to hunt the Black and then Liandrin leads them to Falme and somehow they get the list from her, or there will be no list and no gang of 12 in they way they are in the book? Maybe Liandrin will a single protaganist representing all of the gang of 12? 

i understood that they merged the falme and tear plotlines into a single one, so that the end of s2 merges the end of boook 2 and 3 with rand and the aiel fighting the seanchan.

but, given that i already misunderstood the lack of cahirien, i may be totally wrong here. though if they do merge book 2 and 3 together, they certainly have a lot of storylines to cut. unless i'm wrong on that count too.

20 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i understood that they merged the falme and tear plotlines into a single one, so that the end of s2 merges the end of boook 2 and 3 with rand and the aiel fighting the seanchan.

but, given that i already misunderstood the lack of cahirien, i may be totally wrong here. though if they do merge book 2 and 3 together, they certainly have a lot of storylines to cut. unless i'm wrong on that count too.

There will be cutting... and adding.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:08 AM, king of nowhere said:

I'm not sure they have merged the plotlines completely. From watching the teasers carefully I don't think the Tear plots will be in this season at all. I think Falme will be the finale. I think that the Rand running off on his own and going a little nuts will be the plotline taken from book 3 but he will end up in Cairhien and then Falme rather than Tear.

Honestly until the last few chapters not a lot happens in book 3 except chasing Rand across the countryside. They can probably do book three in one or two episodes at the beginning of the third season before starting the book 4 plots.

10 hours ago, zacz1987 said:

I'm not sure they have merged the plotlines completely. From watching the teasers carefully I don't think the Tear plots will be in this season at all. I think Falme will be the finale. I think that the Rand running off on his own and going a little nuts will be the plotline taken from book 3 but he will end up in Cairhien and then Falme rather than Tear.

Honestly until the last few chapters not a lot happens in book 3 except chasing Rand across the countryside. They can probably do book three in one or two episodes at the beginning of the third season before starting the book 4 plots.

I believe Rafe has already said that books 2 and 3 are in season 2, and they need to be if he has any hope of finishing in 5 seasons

On 10/22/2022 at 12:07 AM, Mailman said:

That makes no sense there is no accuracy to the push, body types, clothing, water levels or water speeds. It would be an impossibility that there is a safe section of the river.

Nost of those rituals are of a religious nature and the symbolism is more on the god to judge them and save them. It is almost comically opposed to Nynaeve as a healer and with her belief in life that she would risk lives in this manner.

I used to river swim when I was in the states, there were patches of river and rapids you could do this very thing in fairly safely. You lay on your back hands across your chest and let the rapids take you is loads of fun. 

If in a series about magic,  a dark lord locked away in a magical Prison and the same souls being reborn your issue is that swimming some rapids takes you out of the universe because “not realistic” maybe your focusing on the wrong things. 

3 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Transcription of the Dragonmount interview with Rafe

A lot to decipher here. 

I agree with the thoughts on books 2 and 3, not just over the fights with Ishmael, but also the back and forth to Tar Valon by the girls.

I am really concerned that he is working on GOW, yes he has worked multiple shows but as a huge GOW fan I really hope it is given the same scope and size as WOT and ROP, a show that big should have a dedicated Showrunner, not someone splitting between 2 major shows. It really feeds into the idea that WOT is being nudged down the priority list. Amazon focussing on ROP and seeing GOW as their Witcher equivalent. 

27 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

If in a series about magic,  a dark lord locked away in a magical Prison and the same souls being reborn your issue is that swimming some rapids takes you out of the universe because “not realistic” maybe your focusing on the wrong things. 

actually he is focusing on the right kind of things. it's a fantasy, so we accept the magic and the dark lord and stuff. but people still behave rationally in their environment, so worrying that they would not risk their lives senslessly is the right thing to worry about.

anyway, the first part of the answer about it not really being all that dangerous is the good one.

also, ancient societies had all kinds of dangerous rituals. if i'm not mistaken, the masai require that a youth kill a lion before he's considered adult. that's a lot more dangerous than swimming through rapids, but in those societies death is commonplace; so one more dead youngster isn't really changing anything. but you do want to make sure that you can depend on your fellow adult if you need to face battle.

4 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Transcription of the Dragonmount interview with Rafe

Great to see taskmaster getting a shout out, it is a fantastic show little Alex Horn and Greg Davies are a great double act and the tasks they set are genius. 

Also in addition I know the show detractors will say that most fans hate the show but, as always, an online poll taken on forums that are not truly unbiased will always tend to skew things. I feel an independent poll as I imagine Amazon have done probably gives a fairer reflection and represents those who have read the books but don’t get involved in online discourse. 

On 12/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, DojoToad said:

We knew more changes from the books were coming, but it is sometimes still a shock when it hits you in the face.

at this point they are just solidifying my distaste for what rafe has done. not having thom in season 2 during cairhein? what about his offing the king? and what leads up to it?

On 12/9/2022 at 12:29 PM, DojoToad said:

There will be cutting... and adding.

yep...we see how that went in season 1.

I also am going to call bullcrap on the whole "70% of people who finished the books thought the tv series was better".

but then again they did throw in the whole "taken from non online sources." which to me seems very biased.

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

A lot to decipher here. 

I agree with the thoughts on books 2 and 3, not just over the fights with Ishmael, but also the back and forth to Tar Valon by the girls.

I am really concerned that he is working on GOW, yes he has worked multiple shows but as a huge GOW fan I really hope it is given the same scope and size as WOT and ROP, a show that big should have a dedicated Showrunner, not someone splitting between 2 major shows. It really feeds into the idea that WOT is being nudged down the priority list. Amazon focussing on ROP and seeing GOW as their Witcher equivalent. 

Guess it depends on if you think he was successful with WoT.  I don't, so another major project just means less time to do S2 right.  But if you thought he was successful with WoT you still have to be concerned with a drop off based on GoW commitments.  You can only stretch a person so far - no matter how talented...

3 minutes ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

at this point they are just solidifying my distaste for what rafe has done. not having thom in season 2 during cairhein? what about his offing the king? and what leads up to it?

Egwene or Nynaeve can handle a simple assassination.

3 minutes ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

yep...we see how that went in season 1.

I also am going to call bullcrap on the whole "70% of people who finished the books thought the tv series was better".

but then again they did throw in the whole "taken from non online sources." which to me seems very biased.

Exactly

2 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

He's not the only showrunner of GoW and who knows how large role he has in the production. I really hope he doesn't burn himself out.

46 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

He's not the only showrunner of GoW and who knows how large role he has in the production. I really hope he doesn't burn himself out.

Just look what it did to GRRM - he set the standard for over-commitment, and the last season of GoT was widely panned even by those that liked the series.  He didn't satisfy the book readers nor the show watchers.

Edited by DojoToad

27 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Just look what it did to GRRM - he set the standard for over-commitment, and the last season of GoT was widely panned even by those that liked the series.  He didn't satisfy the book readers nor the show watchers.

I mean he didn’t write any of the tv episodes, he acted as an advisor but has since said the show runners went in directions that where different to where he told them the books where going.