DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How familiar are you with Wheel of Time?

blank

Personally I've read the series once about five years ago but here I am every day on a WoT forum.

I know there's people here that's read the series lots of times and people who are only half way through!

So I was just curious to see where everyone falls  :biggrin:

maybe I'll make a graph of the data. Brown ajah for liiiiiife!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read most of the book s a lot. The first one most and the next five a few dozen times, the rest of RJ's somewhere around 6-12, the last three once each and they took a while. New spring a couple times. It really made me angry when it came out so I didn't reread it much.

I read the series from the first book till the 10th then I completely dropped out of it.

Then, I started a re-read and I finished it :)

you know, reading these replies, it makes me think...I don't think I've actually read New Spring!

I was thinking of doing a reread maybe later on this year/next year...I'll need to remember to actually read NS!

I've read them all once, and am re-reading the series for a second time now.

My pleasure for the series skyrocketed when I finally discovered the WoT Encyclopaedia

I just simply could not keep all the characters straight over the course of decades. Just be careful for the spoilers.

I enjoy long sprawling novels, and now I find myself wishing I could refer to a wiki-style encyclopaedia for all of them.

I was really into it in highschool and my first two years in college; I bought the hard-cover copies of PoD, WH and CoT, the last of which effectively turned me off the series for years. Then, as I was driving across the country with my little sister - who also read the books in high school - we decided we'd listen to the "longest one" on audio book to pass the time, and, without doing any research, chose to start with Fires of Heaven, after which I listened to the audio books from FoH onto Towers of Midnight, which had just been released.  At which point, knowing the Memory of Light was being released later in the year/early Jan, I restarted the entire series and finished it over the summer, so that I when I read Memory I was fully caught up.

I joined this form after the roadtrip.

I cannot recount the number of times I've re-read the series. I started reading it when the first two were out and re-read any previous installments prior to each new release until about the. . . . 9th? book? I think?. . . . . and after a few re-purchases of the first 3 because of them falling apart and lending them out and getting other people SUCKED IN. lol 

I cannot recount the number of times I've re-read the series. I started reading it when the first two were out and re-read any previous installments prior to each new release until about the. . . . 9th? book? I think?. . . . . and after a few re-purchases of the first 3 because of them falling apart and lending them out and getting other people SUCKED IN. lol 

I did that too. I've read all the books except the last one multiple times. Too many times to count! lol

Just the last one I cannot bring myself to reread - I thought it was terrible.

I did that too. I've read all the books except the last one multiple times. Too many times to count! lol

Just the last one I cannot bring myself to reread - I thought it was terrible.

There was a ton of fan service and I don't mean the anime type.

Read it through once. Tried to read Eye of the World again several times but gave up before they were out of Edmonds field. I just find it so hard to read to re-read when I know the major plot.

I know there is so much little stuff and foreshadowing that I want re read but I can't get into it enough to stick with it. May try audio book.

For me? It was too many key things happening "off camera" that would have had better impact if experienced from that character's perspective. Especially when it was a character that HAD had a lot of there own POV in the series. So, to see their arc come to an end as an after thought or add on in conversation was just bad. Not to mention I think Sanderson was just a bad pick. He IS a talented writer. I am not saying he is not that. Just that I don't think he was right for THIS project. The tone and pace was just awful. Main characters seemed to be almost rewritten. It just threw me off. 

For me? It was too many key things happening "off camera" that would have had better impact if experienced from that character's perspective. Especially when it was a character that HAD had a lot of there own POV in the series. So, to see their arc come to an end as an after thought or add on in conversation was just bad. Not to mention I think Sanderson was just a bad pick. He IS a talented writer. I am not saying he is not that. Just that I don't think he was right for THIS project. The tone and pace was just awful. Main characters seemed to be almost rewritten. It just threw me off. 

Basically this.

Also, it's quite well known that RJ wrote the final scene(s) many years ago, before most of the rest of the books were written. I think that were he still alive, he would have rolled his eyes and rewritten most of it. It simply didn't fit with how things (including his own writing), evolved over the years.

Yeah, this. Sanderson is an excellent writer when he's working with a world of his own creation. He was a terrible fit for WoT.

I've read about people who made a point of re-reading the entire series every time a new book was published.

That's some serious dedication.

I did this. I 'caught up' at around book 5 or 6 or something and read them through before a new book, at least once in between and a couple of times since the last book.

I've read about people who made a point of re-reading the entire series every time a new book was published.

That's some serious dedication.

I did this. I 'caught up' at around book 5 or 6 or something and read them through before a new book, at least once in between and a couple of times since the last book.

I had no idea you read them so many times!

I really need to get my butt in gear and do a reread, y'all are making me feel bad  :laugh:

Archived