DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "OMG I just finished!" Thread

Jason Denzel

Finished AMOL last week. VERY mixed feelings about the book. Some bits were great, some bits were meh, some were disappointing. Other bits were just plain bad writing as far as I'm concerned. Some of my issues:

The book often crossed the line between mysterious/vague and just plain unfinished/pointless (Nakomi!)

Not enough Forsaken!

Not enough focus on the deaths of side characters.

What was the point of Fain and whatever he turned into? Seriously, he appears with zombie army kills a few things then dies so easily in a very un-epic manner.

Rand just goes off by himself, leaving his three "wives" and letting everyone else think he's dead... I'd rather he'd died. This just made him seem like a massive jerk with no idea what love really is.

No explanation for body swap?

Wow, I feel like I could have written this post myself.  I agree with you on every point.  To me, Fain's death felt like "Oops, here we are at the end of the book and we forgot to do anything with Fain -- I guess we'll have him appear at Shayol Ghul and then spend a short paragraph on Mat killing him."

Having said that, I am very grateful to Harriet, Brandon, Maria, and Alan for getting the series finished (and to Robert Jordan for leaving them the necessary notes and for giving them permission to finish it).  While I am not completely happy with the ending, the fact is that I probably wouldn't have been completely happy with the ending even if RJ had lived to finish the series.  But I am very grateful to have the ending, rather than leaving the series unfinished.

Edited by Paul H

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished AMOL last week. VERY mixed feelings about the book. Some bits were great, some bits were meh, some were disappointing. Other bits were just plain bad writing as far as I'm concerned. Some of my issues:

The book often crossed the line between mysterious/vague and just plain unfinished/pointless (Nakomi!)

Not enough Forsaken!

Not enough focus on the deaths of side characters.

What was the point of Fain and whatever he turned into? Seriously, he appears with zombie army kills a few things then dies so easily in a very un-epic manner.

Rand just goes off by himself, leaving his three "wives" and letting everyone else think he's dead... I'd rather he'd died. This just made him seem like a massive jerk with no idea what love really is.

No explanation for body swap?

Wow, I feel like I could have written this post myself.  I agree with you on every point.  To me, Fain's death felt like "Oops, here we are at the end of the book and we forgot to do anything with Fain -- I guess we'll have him appear at Shayol Ghul and then spend a short paragraph on Mat killing him."

Having said that, I am very grateful to Harriet, Brandon, Maria, and Alan for getting the series finished (and to Robert Jordan for leaving them the necessary notes and for giving them permission to finish it).  While I am not completely happy with the ending, the fact is that I probably wouldn't have been completely happy with the ending even if RJ had lived to finish the series.  But I am very grateful to have the ending, rather than leaving the series unfinished.

Yeah, I knew that no matter how awesome the last book was, I would still find a few things disappointing because I've just invested so much time and love in the series. And ANY ending would have been better than none, so I'm also really grateful that the final three books happened. But I'm actually kind of wishing that AMOL was split up into multiple books again, just so some parts of the story could have been written in more detail. 

I just finished AMOL about 30 minutes ago. Words fail me, they truly do. Yet I feel the need to find the right words, much as Thom was doing.

I've been reading WoT for 12 years. Not as long as some of you, true. But it helped to shape me, make me into who I am today. I felt such sadness that it was ending, that there would never be another Wheel of Time book. But then, there are no true endings, are there?  

For everyone who died, I cried. Having grown up with these characters, these friends, every death was painful (yes, even Gawyn's.) The only part I didn't like was Siuan's death, the way that it happened "off-camera", so to speak. I feel that she deserved a better ending than she got, but I also feel that she wouldn't have wanted her death to be distracting, somehow. And of course, Gareth charging the Trollocs in full battle mode was a fitting end for him.

Bela. So she wasn't the Dark One, but she survived to carry Olver when he needed it. And of course Olver would be the Hornsounder; very fitting. 

Faile not dying was good. I know many have hated her, and while I never loved her, the hurt that would have caused Perrin would have been too much.

Egwene's death, while sad, was perfect. The Amyrlin's Flame, turns the Shadow to Crystal. Beautiful.

I can't begin to express how glad I am that Lan survived. Not only survived, but killed Demandred! Perfect. Tai'shar Malkier!

Mat, Fortuona, Min, Aviendha, Elayne, Birgitte...I think they all were wonderful in this. So glad we have a name for Min's Talent now! I wish that we somehow could see Mat's child, and Elayne's, and Avi's (because I'm sure she's pregnant), see them grow up, and become the next generation of awesome...but I think that's probably best left to us, isn't it? Us, the generation of people who read the Wheel of Time, will never let it end. We, the fans, will keep it alive, introducing it to our children, who will grow up with it, and get to ask (for a while) "But what happens next??" with eyes of wonder and souls of adventure.

For a while.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Edited by Sakaea

I just finished AMOL about 30 minutes ago. Words fail me, they truly do. Yet I feel the need to find the right words, much as Thom was doing.

I've been reading WoT for 12 years. Not as long as some of you, true. But it helped to shape me, make me into who I am today. I felt such sadness that it was ending, that there would never be another Wheel of Time book. But then, there are no true endings, are there?  

For everyone who died, I cried. Having grown up with these characters, these friends, every death was painful (yes, even Gawyn's.) The only part I didn't like was Siuan's death, the way that it happened "off-camera", so to speak. I feel that she deserved a better ending than she got, but I also feel that she wouldn't have wanted her death to be distracting, somehow. And of course, Gareth charging the Trollocs in full battle mode was a fitting end for him.

Bela. So she wasn't the Dark One, but she survived to carry Olver when he needed it. And of course Olver would be the Hornsounder; very fitting. 

Faile not dying was good. I know many have hated her, and while I never loved her, the hurt that would have caused Perrin would have been too much.

Egwene's death, while sad, was perfect. The Amyrlin's Flame, turns the Shadow to Crystal. Beautiful.

I can't begin to express how glad I am that Lan survived. Not only survived, but killed Demandred! Perfect. Tai'shar Malkier!

Mat, Fortuona, Min, Aviendha, Elayne, Birgitte...I think they all were wonderful in this. So glad we have a name for Min's Talent now! I wish that we somehow could see Mat's child, and Elayne's, and Avi's (because I'm sure she's pregnant), see them grow up, and become the next generation of awesome...but I think that's probably best left to us, isn't it? Us, the generation of people who read the Wheel of Time, will never let it end. We, the fans, will keep it alive, introducing it to our children, who will grow up with it, and get to ask (for a while) "But what happens next??" with eyes of wonder and souls of adventure.

For a while.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

+1

Bittersweet.

On the one hand, it is an ending, at long last.  And it had its moments.

On the other hand, the book feels rushed.  It feels forced, with too many new events and too many resolutions crammed into a single book.  The pacing is choppy.  The out-of-character moments and jarring modern terminology from the previous 2 novels show up again. 

And ultimately, it felt unsatisfying, with a lack of closure except for a handful of characters.  I'm not asking for everything to be wrapped up with a little "happily ever after" bow on it, but it would have been nice to get a better glimpse of the future.  To get the reactions of everyone involved as they dealt with the cost of victory and planned for the future.  Instead many of the character deaths felt like a quota being fulfilled, and other characters simply never (or barely) appeared.

Part of me really wishes that the act of writing this book had been drawn out.  I wouldn't have minded waiting longer and/or buying more books if that's what it took to truly do the ending justice.  But a longer process would be completely unfair to Brandon Sanderson.  This was an impossible task, and he gave it his best.  But if I had to rank this book against the others in the series, it would land just about at the bottom.

---

On a non-writing quality related note, I have to say that the death that shocked me the most was Egwene's.  I mean, I knew she was a goner as soon as Gawyn went down, but I felt that she still had more character development left in her future (especially re: Aes Sedai issues brought up during Nynaeve's testing) and it's hard to imagine the White Tower surviving without her.

And the survival that shocked me the most was Talmanes.  I thought for sure that he and the Band were going to be decimated in Caemlyn after the end of ToM, and that feeling was reinforced by his Myrddraal-inflicted wounds.  Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but that felt for sure like it was heroic sacrifice time.

Guest Ryand

I'm perplexed that so many of you assume Rand will wander off to travel the world alone and abandon his 3 true loves and children. Even if he took that attitude, Min, Aviendha, and Elaine who love him so deeply that they are willing to share him, aren't just going to let him ride off into the sunset. Children or not.

Also, Rand has basically already seen the entire world and conquered every city, so what's the point?

I think Rand will end up as Lord/King of Rhuidean, the single greatest city of the 4th Age. And with the rise of Rhuidean, no one person alive will able to dispute his rise to power with his new name and face, taking Aviendha as his Queen, Min as his advisor, and a private travelling grounds to the gardens in Camelyn to visit his Ginger kids.

I just finished rereading all 14 books. 

WOW. 

It will def remain as one of my favourite sets of books ever. 

Unfortunately, I felt like the quality of Sanderson's work went downhill with each book. The plotting got more complicated and the style differences with RJ more jarring. I am forever grateful that he agreed to take up this burden and finish it, and its infintely better than having NO ONE write the ending, but I do wonder what made Harriet and co pick him. I havent read Sandersons own work, maybe he is better without a strait jacket of jumping into the end of a massive popular piece of work like this. Maybe no one else could have done better. I have to wonder though. 

I still found AMOL kinda boring. Its such a HUGE change in the books. TGS and TOM felt somewhat like earlier books, even if everything got increasingly desperate - the White Tower vs Seanchan, Rand coming to the brink of destroying the world. the epic battle in TAR against slayer and Mesaana. All of that was just a forerunner of the Last battle - which was basically one ongoing fight, and watching a lot of minor characters, all the villains, and Egwene, die. Too many plots seemed to just be finished off as quick as possible  - Rands wounds and blood on the rock, shaidar haran, fain. Maybe RJ just didnt leave enough on the LB and Sanderson just didnt have enough to go on. SO we got the adventures of androl and Pevara instead :-/

Happily, I feel like The WHeel of time had a much more fitting ending than certain TV shows which I loved and obsessed over like Lost or Battlestar galactica remake. I can live with the ending we got. 

Guest erkergurd

A few random thoughts. . .

No "black cords"?

No Tallinvor?

Not much of Moiraine or Moghedien? Alivia? Talaan?

No Delving. It was mentioned a lot when the rebel Aes Sedai were preparing to march on Tar Valon but never used.

Too many Trollocs. I mean, let's face it, they are pretty limited. The Darkhounds finally appear late in the day and seem pretty indestructible. Makes you wonder why the Shadow use Trollocs rather than Darkhounds in the first place. We were introduced to Darkhounds books ago without them actually appearing or doing anything. Another of RJ's narrative cul-de-sacs that he may almost not have bothered with in the first place.

Too many Gateways. As soon as they discovered Travelling it made you wonder what everybody was pissing about at. RJ tried to impose some limits on Travelling (the whole Travelling vs. Skimming thing) but it never really worked and instead more and more obscure reasons had to be given to stop people from simply Gateway-ing their way to victory, e.g., the Dreamspike, Demandred's fear he might be walking into a trap. And if Androl can get tea through a gateway just by thinking about tea, why can't he do the same for the Seals -- just think of the Seals, and presto magico, they slip through a gateway.

Not enough Seanchan. They only really play a part in the Last Battle right at the end.

The True Power. It is played up as this super dooper power but the only thing you seem able to do with it is Travel without a gateway. Big deal.

I liked the ending on the whole. The whole thing about nobility and Tam teaching Rand to let go, and Master Luhhan doing the same thing for Perrin. Even Mat, in his own way, let's go when he sort of accepts his own heroism. Realising that nobility is to act and hope for the best, not pretending that one can control or even consider all the outcomes, that it is often on the roll of the dice. Sometimes it will not end for the best (like Gawyn). And also, nobility is not about winning or momentous achievements. Logain's glory, in the end, turns out to be just saving a child, far away from the real action. Its very non-epicness is what is really cool about it, after we had been coaxed into expecting a big Logain vs. Taim face-off. Lan too, with his "I did not come here to win" speech. And even Rand, not because he seals the DO back in his prison, for this was part of the Prophecies and the Pattern all along, but because he leaves them all to get on with it and does not wish to Turn anyone to the Light. That is why there cannot be ta'veren any more, because by definition they warp the Pattern and bend people's wills to their own, and so would Rand simply because of who he is, even if he is no longer ta'veren. My theory on the whole impossible pipe thing is that maybe Rand used the True Power to travel everybody and maybe the world itself into TAR. That might explain why Mat (and Lan?) are not really dead. So I liked the epilogue and Rand's fight against the DO. I was less impressed with his fight with Moridin. All that build-up and they just have a sword-fight? Really? Or (a daring thought) was Moridin somehow complicit in Rand's plan?

The thing that Egwene with the anti-balefire weave seems sort of similar to her discovery of how to make cuendillar. Did she cuendillar all the cracks?

The year was 1991 and I was eleven. Curiosity led me to Walden bookstores. I looked on the shelves and found a large book with an amazing cover. The Eye of the World was the first book of over 600 pages that I read, and I didn't stop there. For the next 22 years, I continued to read and re-read the series of over 16 books released by Robert Jordan and his post-death successor, Brandon Sanderson. The story of Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, Lan, Moiraine, and so many others traversed the series. The struggle between balancing forces and the salvation of humanity blew open my perception and cognitive abilities. The creativity and genius of the writing motivated me and inspired me. If it wasn't for this series, I'd be a different person all together. After what seems like five days of reading, I have completed the last entry to the Wheel of Time. Many others in this world started but were never able to live to see the end, even the creator, himself, Robert Jordan, may he shelter in the hands of the Mother. I felt blessed as I finished the final pages in the past hour and am humbled to be one of the few who worked through such an amazing story that took 23 years to tell. The wind came, the wind stirred, the wind left me a better man.

I felt blessed as I finished the final pages in the past hour and am humbled to be one of the few who worked through such an amazing story that took 23 years to tell. The wind came, the wind stirred, the wind left me a better man.

Well said.

*Update* lots of tears. As odd as it sounds, my world was so much bigger with Jordan's universe in my mind. It's extremely impactful to have to let that go, to have to say good bye to my fictional, yet life-long friends, the ones who died in the last book and even the ones who lived on.... regardless, the story is over and there will no longer be anything in my future but a memory of all the memories of the moments read. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced. I think starting the reading at 11 in 1991 and ending the series at 32 in 2013 has attributed to this sense of mourning. Thank you, Team Jordan, and thank you fellow fans.

Edited by Metasparks

*Final note* I'm grateful Sanderson was there to finish it, and that he did so with such amazing conclusions (for most of the arcs). I can understand that there were some bailouts and lack of thorough character tone, but I can imagine it was quite the challenge to have to end this specific tale, given all the arcs and strings, and the fact that it was the story of an end of an Age. For me the biggest impact is to now know that the story has come to an end. For those who know me, I am analytical and empathetic, and also have humour, even at times if it can be dark... those characteristics can be traced to many lessons I learned from the adventures and transformations the characters in this series undertook. And to see some of them die, and still more live on through the final climax that had two-years of in-story build up, but 23 years of real-world time to write and share, to have to let go of that is like losing a family member or a part of me. There will be no more anticipating the next volume or wondering what mystery or clue might have been. Whether the characters lived or died, they all were unique and the tale of their universe if now complete. The story is over and there will no longer be anything in my future but a memory of all the memories of their moments read. I read the books so often and the descriptions of the tales were so vivid in my imagination that it's quite the experience to now have come to the end of that.... after starting the journey at eleven in 1991, and ending it today, at 32. It's very moving... and I'm glad I survived long enough to be here experiencing it.

As I posted in my introduction thread, I started this epic series in 1991 back in a guard shack in Germany.  I was hoping the book would help pass the time during my 12 hour shift. 

22 years later I am not the same but better for having read this.

I just finished last night and I am still profoundly effected by this wonderous work.

I read through in a frenzy.  I have been waiting so long to see how it ends that I didn't stop for almost 3 days.  I really can't wait to read the whole series again now.  This story has moved me and touched down deep inside.  I started reading in 1993 when The Fires of Heaven came out.  I am very sad to see it end.  I hope there can be more books about these characters someday from someone.  I was very sad about Egwene and Rhuarc.  I loved Rhuarc so much.  The Aiel wise ones were really frustrating at times but the way Rhuarc always dealt with them was so awesome.  I miss him already.  I really wanted to read the Bain and Chiad and Gaul reunion.  And for like 5 books I have been looking forward to Artur Hawkwing meeting Tuon with Mat standing there being Mat.  I can fully imagine the conversation where Hawkwing askes Tuon why they enslaved damane and to let them go, causing the Seanchen way of life to have to change fully.  There was really no mention of the Seanchen after the battle was over other than to watch Moghedien get collared (which was awesome of course).  Also is Grendel just under the effects of Compulsion forever or what is Aviendha gonna do?  Did I miss that chapter?

But I loved it.  Thank you Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson!

Guest Master Gill

Wow I don't know where to start...I would first like to thank Robert Jordan, Hariet and Brandon for allowing the series to come to a conclusion!  I began reading the series as a 16 yr old around '95-'96, and like many of you, grew up with the WoT. 

There were times that I was frustrated with the pace, and then terrified that I would never get to see an ending with the tragic passing of Jordan.  I have read through most of the comments about the series ending and I notice some (not a lot) criticism of Sanderson.  I personally felt that Jordan was begining to drag out the series and I was frustrated after reading 1000 pages and feeling like almost nothing happened.  Robert Jordan is one of my favourite authors but his final few books felt like there were way too many plots and sub plots.  I would read for what felt like 20 pages about an Aes Sedai combing her hair, describing her dress, hair brush and gilded mirror. Way too many minor characters with a lot of pages dedicated to them.  I spent a lot of time and energy trying to remember who the character was bc I hadn't heard from them in 5 yrs. 

I felt Sanderson came in  faced with a monumental task and got the series moving to a conclusion.  I feel Sanderson did a fantastic job and his books are some of my favourites.  The ending wasn't perfect, partially bc over the last 13 books there were just so many characters and loose ends.  Some people will criticize and it is easy to pick at little inconsistencies. With everything that happened over the last 25 yrs or so I feel happy and satisfied with the ending! 

Favourite Parts

#1 Lan's final charge and fight w Demandred.  Thinking he was dead and then Rand screaming "That man still fights!" (I got chills right now)

#2 Thom Merrilin composing his ballad while nonchalantly protecting the cave.

#3 Demandred arriving by gateway w the Sharan's

#4 The Last Battle- Mat vs Demandred, the battles on four fronts w the Great Generals.  Very impressive. I understood the terrain, tactics, it was a see-saw.  I really enjoyed how the shadow compelled the four great generals and how Lan, Matt, Elayne, and Ituralde figured it out. 

#5 Talmanes and Aludra firing Dragons from the cave w gateways, brilliant  

#6 Olver sounding the Horn.  I think he will be Birgittes new Gaidal.  They do describe him as older and ugly!

#7 Master Luhan convincing Perrin to use his strength, not hold back.  Tam convincing Rand to let go...finally!!!!

#8 Gawyn dying selfishly just like he lived

#9 Mat finally earning some respect from the wonder girls and getting mad respect from the Heroes!  The Heroes finally telling Mat to appreciate what Rand has done for him (talk about ungrateful)!

Things I didn't like (although sometimes necessary)

#1 The arrogant Aes Sedai- a lot of them got what they deserved in the end

#2 The Seanchan staying out of the last battle for so long

#3 Different factions doubting the Dragon's plan and fighting him most of the way, White Tower, Seanchan...

#4 The Padan Fain thing was pretty weak.  I am kind of glad they closed the thread but meh

#5 I prefer a longer epilogue showing the world years after the Last Battle. 

#6 It really bothered me that Rand's friends treated him so poorly and changed loyalty to their new interests after they found out he was the Dragon.  Egwene in particular became so arrogant with the idea of the White Tower leading the world when in fact they were one of the worlds biggest problems. Mat was so ungrateful until the Heroes set him straight.  Nynaeve actually got over it first and was at least Rand's ally. 

#7 The series MUST continue please let it CONTINUE

As for Rand and the ending...First off I don't think he is abandoning his unborn babies or his three women (deadbeat dad theory).  I don't think he is saying goodbye forever to Mat, Perrin, Tam.  Rand needs some Rand time after the crazy couple years he has had saving the world and fighting the DO.  His presence in Camelyn, w the Aiel, Tar Valon, Cairhien, or anywhere else  might undermine attempts to reconstruct and get the world back on its feet  (the Dragon's Peace).  He is the saviour and deserves some time to be normal.  He could not achieve that if his presence became known. 

I believe Rand has discovered a power greater than the One Power or True Power.  It is probaly only something he can achieve bc of his experience fighting the DO and seeing the pattern and world as only he did.

I just wanted to put down some of my thoughts in response to other reactions on the forum, sorry for rambling on.  Great series I will miss it immensely.  A chapter in my life now comes to a close. 

I finished it this morning at 4am, started reading at 10pm and couldn't stop once I hit a certain spot, so I can still remember my reaction

I cried at Rand's funeral, not just teary eyed, straight up crying and I hardly ever do that(cause you know men gotta be men lol), cause I thought he was dead for sure, I was thinking this is a good ending but it's not how I wanted it to end, then the twist, I literally dropped my jaw reading the last part, I found it surprising as I was sure Rand had to die completely, but I thought it was a fitting, not-so cliche end to the series and I absolutely friggin love it

It left me wanting more, and at the same time, not wanting more because it was a fitting end

The book also left an empty and sad feeling, at first I thought it was because I found the book underwhelming, but now that I re-read a few chapters here and there and really looked back, that feeling is there because the series ended and I wish it didn't, there will be no more Wheel of Time and there shouldn't be without Robert Jordan

RIP Robert Jordan, and thank you for creating my favorite story

I literally feel like every story I read or watch from now on will be a dissapointment compared to this haha, I'm extremely picky, for example, I thought Game of Thrones was terrible when I tried reading the first book

I wasn't surprised at the funeral; the reactions of his wives kinda gave it away for me. Moggy's capture as a damane, that just seemed so disappointing. 

I think I finally understand Thom Merrilin now - he IS Robert Jordan, in a sense. 

@jedman67,

i'm so happy that you called aviendha,min and elayne his wives,

because they are in all but name.

their not girlfriends, theyre not his Aes Sedai, and theyre not his warders...the books don't say they never married him; i would say they are at least common-law partners  :wink:

My least favourite scene: Gawyn's idiotic decision to face Demandred.

I'm willing to defend Gawyn on this one. He decided to sacrifice himself, and it was not only a good plan, but he was really close to carry it through.

And like we saw with Lan later, attacking Demandred with sword/dagger was the best (and pretty much the only) thing to do.

Not me. He was Warder to the Amyrlin and his death effected her during the Last Battle. We know how the loss of a Warder effects AS.

I'm willing to defend Gawyn on this one. He decided to sacrifice himself, and it was not only a good plan, but he was really close to carry it through.

And like we saw with Lan later, attacking Demandred with sword/dagger was the best (and pretty much the only) thing to do.

Not me. He was Warder to the Amyrlin and his death effected her during the Last Battle. We know how the loss of a Warder effects AS.

I am not a Gawyn fan, but to be fair, Lan was bonded to one of the women at SG helping Rand wield Callandor.  Wasn't his attempt equally stupid from that perspective?  Imagine if he had actually died just as Rand needed Moiraine and Nynaeve to use Callandor to trap Moridin?  Although, I did find it strange that we didn't get a Nynaeve POV when Lan came very close to dying - maybe she was able to just focus on the job.

I am not a Gawyn fan, but to be fair, Lan was bonded to one of the women at SG helping Rand wield Callandor.  Wasn't his attempt equally stupid from that perspective?  Imagine if he had actually died just as Rand needed Moiraine and Nynaeve to use Callandor to trap Moridin?  Although, I did find it strange that we didn't get a Nynaeve POV when Lan came very close to dying - maybe she was able to just focus on the job.

Agreed, and there's also the case of Elayne, Min, and most of all Aviendha. Any one of them dying would have meant defeat for the Light. And yet they were all either fighting or near the front lines. They all came very close to dying at one point or another. Yes, Gawyn's death affected Egwene but she was still able fight after resting for a short while. Someone needed to take out Demandred and since no one could figure out how, Gawyn decided to to it himself. With the rings he had a better chance than most. There was more to gain than to lose in my opinion, and like previously stated he was hardly the only Warder or wardee out there fighting, nor was he the most important.

I think it's possible that Nynaeve wouldn't have realised how close to dying Lan came as it appears that the bore warps the bond somehow.  [when Rand approaches the bore (or enters, can't remember which) he senses something through the bond and wonders if one of his girls is in trouble, I believe it's Alanna he sensed, yet despite the fact she was closest he couldn't identify her.  It's possible that it had something to do with the effect of multiple bonds, but I think that the bores warping effect and the distance between them would have shielded Nyn from some of the effects of the bond).

This isn't to say that I think this should affect how the characters act, they had no way of knowing that the bond would be warped or masked, but it could explain the lack of a reaction from Nyn.