DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "OMG I just finished!" Thread

Jason Denzel

Guest valcay03

Funny that my first post on Dragonmount is on the last book in the series, but here it goes. I basically thought A Memory of Light falls somewhere in the middle of best and worst books in the series. I thought that standing on its own it was an entertaining book but in the scope of the series it was lacking. It is more fun to be a critic then to be positive so here is what I thought was wrong with the book/conclusion to the series:

1. I felt like Jordan and perhaps Sanderson as well, took far to long to conclude many of the plot threads in the series. As a result I felt MoL was rushed in trying to close the plot threads and some of them didn't conclude very well or were not addressed at all. I know the age old criticism of Jordan's writing was too much plot and trivial details and not enough action, but I felt that MoL was to much action and not enough plot. I feel that the Last battle could have been stretched between Tom and MoL to allow for more of a plot driven story in MoL.

2. What was the point of bringing Moraine back? The prophecy states that she has to be present at the last battle in order for the Light to succeed but she basically just stands around and does nothing and ends up not really playing an important role in the book at all. I mean it was done so poorly that even the other character's seem to hardly acknowledge that a previously thought dead major player was still alive.

3. What was the point of Padan Fain? He was built up to be one of the main antagonists of the series and we basically got a two paragraph conclusion to that story arc. 

4. I thought it was dumb that either Sanderson or Jordan (who knows?), decided that Mat was suddenly not bound to the horn after all. Also I would have liked to seen the mystery of his past lives revealed. 

5. Logain and Taim should have battled each other, it was something alluded to and anticipated and it totally didn't happen,

6.Lanfear, Moghiedien, and Mordin essentially played no roles throughout the book and should have met more satisfying and climatic ends. Again what was the point of bringing Lanfear back when in the end she basically didn't add anything to the story.

7. The battle between Rand and the DO was mediocre at best, could have been much more climatic. 

On the other hand I was pleased with how Demanded was addressed, I thought he was a fitting major antagonist in the book and was pleased to see who his hidden identity was (although I thought it was going to be a character we were familiar with who appeared to be strongly on the side of the light, thus leading to an ultimate betrayal.) None the less I though he was done well and I like how he met his end. 

In the end I am satisfied but not necessarily thrilled with the conclusion to WoT, but I suppose the wheel weaves and the wheel wills. 

Edited by valcay03

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked Alivia's roll in Rands death because for the ENTIRE TIME we've been imagining all of these terrible ways that she would betray him or really bungle things at the wrong moment and in the end it just turned out she'd get him some money. HAH! Totally had us going! Sorry for mistrusting you the whole time Alivia!

Funny that my first post on Dragonmount is on the last book in the series, but here it goes. I basically thought A Memory of Light falls somewhere in the middle of best and worst books in the series. I thought that standing on its own it was an entertaining book but in the scope of the series it was lacking. It is more fun to be a critic then to be positive so here is what I thought was wrong with the book/conclusion to the series:

1. I felt like Jordan and perhaps Sanderson as well, took far to long to conclude many of the plot threads in the series. As a result I felt MoL was rushed in trying to close the plot threads and some of them didn't conclude very well or were not addressed at all. I know the age old criticism of Jordan's writing was too much plot and trivial details and not enough action, but I felt that MoL was to much action and not enough plot. I feel that the Last battle could have been stretched between Tom and MoL to allow for more of a plot driven story in MoL.

2. What was the point of bringing Moraine back? The prophecy states that she has to be present at the last battle in order for the Light to succeed but she basically just stands around and does nothing and ends up not really playing an important role in the book at all. I mean it was done so poorly that even the other character's seem to hardly acknowledge that a previously thought dead major player was still alive.

3. What was the point of Padan Fain? He was built up to be one of the main antagonists of the series and we basically got a two paragraph conclusion to that story arc. 

4. I thought it was dumb that either Sanderson or Jordan (who knows?), decided that Mat was suddenly not bound to the horn after all. Also I would have liked to seen the mystery of his past lives revealed. 

5. Logain and Taim should have battled each other, it was something alluded to and anticipated and it totally didn't happen,

6.Lanfear, Moghiedien, and Mordin essentially played no roles throughout the book and should have met more satisfying and climatic ends. Again what was the point of bringing Lanfear back when in the end she basically didn't add anything to the story.

7. The battle between Rand and the DO was mediocre at best, could have been much more climatic. 

On the other hand I was pleased with how Demanded was addressed, I thought he was a fitting major antagonist in the book and was pleased to see who his hidden identity was (although I thought it was going to be a character we were familiar with who appeared to be strongly on the side of the light, thus leading to an ultimate betrayal.) None the less I though he was done well and I like how he met his end. 

In the end I am satisfied but not necessarily thrilled with the conclusion to WoT, but I suppose the wheel weaves and the wheel wills. 

Mat wasn't "suddenly not bound to the horn". He hasn't been bound to it since Fires of Heaven, when Rahvin's lightnings killed him and then Rand's balefire brought him back to life.

I agree with a lot of the plots being over too quickly. I felt there could have been another book. However, I did enjoy how the main arcs ended.

I really liked Alivia's roll in Rands death because for the ENTIRE TIME we've been imagining all of these terrible ways that she would betray him or really bungle things at the wrong moment and in the end it just turned out she'd get him some money. HAH! Totally had us going! Sorry for mistrusting you the whole time Alivia!

This was awesome too, I really liked how some of Min's viewings were made to seem insanely important but in the end it was just a minor thing! Another example, although not so minor, was Logain's glory. He just ended up saving some children and becoming a protector, rather than the conquerer that we first heard him to be.

Finished it last night ~2am and absolutely loved all of it. To be honest I'm a little surprised at some of the vitriol/disappointment in this thread about the ending. Was it perfect? No, but the books have never been perfect. 

Re: not having an extended epilogue like LOTR did ...

1) I always read the books as if it were Loial himself writing them and I'm guessing Loial stopped following Elayne, Perrin et al's every movement after the battle at Shayol Ghul 

2) We know what happens to the characters so writing it in is redundant. Elayne goes on to become a brilliant queen of Andor, possibly its greatest. Aviendha goes back and continues her wise womaning. Min and Mat follow Tuon across the Ocean to reclaim Seanchan and ... I like to think Min leaves and finds Rand after some time. Perrin goes back to the Two Rivers and settles down with Faile. Galad and Berelain hook up and make beautiful children. And Rand ... I imagine him travelling around healing the land, going back to visit Tam (incognito, but Tam figures him out after). Nynaeve and Lan resettle Malkier... so we know what happens to everyone and I'm glad it wasn't spelled out for us. 

But my thoughts on the final book:

1) Lan roflstomping Demandred was amazing.

2) Olver's horn blowing scene was heart wrenching. The idea that a child, alone, terrified and hurt turns the tide of the final battle sent chills up my spine. 

3) Bela's death affected me the most of everyone in the book. I had always pictured Rand riding away on Bela at the end :(

4) Rand/Mat's bragging scene was hilarious. 

5) Hinderstap! 

6) Every single major character in the series was involved in the last battle... which I didn't think would happen. Pleasantly surprising. Though I guess we missed out on ....

7) Morgase. Is it her character arc that's supposedly being published in a fantasy anthology later? 

All in all, I enjoyed it. Was I hoping for a Rand/Mat/Perrin scene together? Yes, but the wheel weaves as the wheel will and thus I am satisfied with what was. 

Edited by talligan

Finished it last night ~2am and absolutely loved all of it. To be honest I'm a little surprised at some of the vitriol/disappointment in this thread about the ending. Was it perfect? No, but the books have never been perfect. 

7) Morgase. Is it her character arc that's supposedly being published in a fantasy anthology later? 

Demandred.

This was awesome too, I really liked how some of Min's viewings were made to seem insanely important but in the end it was just a minor thing! Another example, although not so minor, was Logain's glory. He just ended up saving some children and becoming a protector, rather than the conquerer that we first heard him to be.

I think this was just a foreshadowing of the glory that is to come for Logain. The Ashaman will be seen as the great protectors of the new age, and Logain most of all, because of the decision he made in the end.

Blood and bloody flaming ashes! I stretched it out as long as I could, but finally finished it last night, and I must say, at this point I'm just sad it's over. Even tho I've been waiting for the end of this story for 15 years, after closing the book after the last page, I find that I will miss the aniticipation of the waiting that came with each new volume. There has never been another series that gave me that much anticipation. Hopefully I can find something new to read...suggestions welcome.

There were parts where I had to just put the book down and walk away for a day. Egwene's last scene was a big one. NEVER saw that coming.

I'm still digesting a lot of what I've read, but overall I liked the book. It was cut like an action movie, which made it really hard to not want to keep turning pages, to get back the characters/scene that just got cut off, tho at times I thought it jumped back and forth a little TOO much and/or too quickly.

Lots of super awesome Moments of Super Awesomeness. My favorites were Androl, at the Black Tower kicking ass with his gateways after the dream spike was removed, and unleashing lava on the Trolloc army, that image in my head is sooo cool, er, hot maybe.

There were also quite a few moments that made me laugh. I felt like Brandon got the narrative voices of the various main characters a lot better than the previous two books, Mat especially.

I haven't quite decided how to feel yet about Rand's confrontation with the DO, still stewing on that.

Besides a few small quibbles about pacing and character arcs, my only major complaint is Moiraine. She deserved WAY more "screen time", and a POV. I loved Rand's initial reaction to her, but after that nothing really happens. After all the build up of Min's viewings, and Mat saving her, "half the light of the world to SAVE the world?" I'm a little confused about what she did or knew that was so important (did I miss something?), but besides that, there just plain wasn't enough of her in the book. As much as I liked all the action scenes and battles, some of that could have been cut out to include more about Moiraine. To see Rand and the battle from her POV would have been interesting to say the least, after being the one to find our heroes in the beginning.

Alright I'll stop rambling now, I think will listen to the audiobook now. :rolleyes:

Rand wasn't burned out, he ascended beyond the need for channeling. He triumphed where LTT had failed and cost him his life and the life of other male channelers and was rewarded for it. Had LTT been successful, he would have probably enjoyed the same power. Well, maybe not, LTT's fault was his pride but nothing says the Dragon doesn't deserve to be a Bad A after defeating the DO. The prophecies said that he would walk the land with his sword Justice, which I didn't get until after reading the ending.

I'm surprised that few people seem to share this conclusion. Seemed obvious that Rand had ascended to an attuned ability to see and interact with the very threads of all reality itself. Much like the vision of a person, theoretically, who attains true enlightenment and sees everything in its pure essence. I thought it was perfect, and balanced with his newfound peace and freedom to simply live.

The pattern was offering him this new life as thanks for the role he'd played, and off he rode into the sunset.

After all the build up of Min's viewings, and Mat saving her, "half the

light of the world to SAVE the world?" I'm a little confused about what

she did or knew that was so important (did I miss something?)

Its been confirmed that Moiraine's 'saving the world' role was making Egwene and Rand work together rather than against each other, and via that, ensuring that the nations fought the LB united.

Wait... I still haven't gotten to the final book... but are you saying that Demandred doesn't get to be competent at ALL? I've been reading for a year. Poured all this time and effort into reading this damn series cuz my friend promised that the villains are competent and apparently they suck in the final book?! (grinds teeth and tries  not to cry)

To everyone who has got the sads, it gets better.

Give it a week or two, took me about 5-6 days of bitter/sadness before I accepted that it was over and am content with it.

@EmperorAllspice, Don't read these threads if you don't have the final book. Everyone goes into it with different expectations.

No. I'm not reading the rest of this series without SOME kind of knowledge of how dangerous and competent Team Shadow is. They're the ONLY reason I'm still reading (I'm on book 8) I haven't been reading all the threads. Not even most of the posts here. I don't care about being spoiled

To each their own! 

There are lots of people exaggerating the faults of the last book. I wouldn't take the bad stuff here too seriously. I got through the entire thing without catching anything these guys are saying. After reading their comments I'm like "Yeah....thats true" - But it doesn't bother me.

I finished AMOL in 4 days

Why

Because:

I've started reading at book The Eye of the World

I waited 20 years for this book

I read something like : 1, 1,2, 1,2,3 , 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4,5 5,6, 5,6,7, 6,7,8, 6,7,8,9, 9,10, 10,11, 11,12, 12, 13, 1 to 14

I was so excited and emerged in the story that I breathed shallow and had to come up for air.

I laughed 

I cried

I yelled, YES!!!

I yelled NOOOO!

It was perfect because it wasn't , life isn't 

the wheel turns

It was a once in a lifetime experience

and yet

I can read it again, and again, and again

Thank you Robert, Harriet and Brian

May you always find shade and water

and

peace favour your sword

I finished AMOL in 4 days

Why

Because:

I've started reading at book The Eye of the World

I waited 20 years for this book

I read something like : 1, 1,2, 1,2,3 , 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4,5 5,6, 5,6,7, 6,7,8, 6,7,8,9, 9,10, 10,11, 11,12, 12, 13, 1 to 14

I was so excited and emerged in the story that I breathed shallow and had to come up for air.

I laughed 

I cried

I yelled, YES!!!

I yelled NOOOO!

It was perfect because it wasn't , life isn't 

the wheel turns

It was a once in a lifetime experience

and yet

I can read it again, and again, and again

Thank you Robert, Harriet and Brian

May you always find shade and water

and

peace favour your sword

+1  :cool:

Suttree you hoser!

Brian's duh best. ERrrrrrrrbuddy knows 'dat! Critical analysis, pfff ain't nobody got time for that! ITS HOW I FEEEELLL MAAANNNNNNNNnnnnn-*exasperated coughing

GOAT GREATESTEST OF ALL THE WHEELIEOTIMES  *convoluted nonsensical hand signs

____

*restrained, yet unconcealed wheezing chuckle

Finished last night.

Have to say its been an unbelievable journey these past 10 or so years. WIthout a doubt my personal favorite literature I've read, felt very connected to the characters. Melancholy that its over, but hey, that's life. Big thanks to B. Sanderson and of course R. Jordan for taking us on this Journey. Really enjoyed all the books, and I thought Brandon rose to the occasion and finished strong.

For the entire series I'd always craved an epilogue in the future showing us what became of all of our characters. However after Rand rode into the sunset, and the phrase "like the wind he was gone" closed the show I thought it was a picture perfect ending.

The best part is, sometime down the line a reread will be just as good as it was the first time.

After all, there are no endings in the Wheel of TIme ;)

God Bless

Will

Guest 1992WOT

I got the Eye and the Hunt for my birthday Jan 1992 and can't recall the number of full re-reads. Brandon did a fine job bringing it home and thank-you James Jr. for your Tolkein and Brooks like leap. I can't wait for the next great to pick up the gauntlet (not that some haven't gotten close or remain to be seen)

To the masses:

After such a long and laborious journey for a series how can't there be unanswered questions? I guess that's why reading fools like us haven't switched to DVD yet - we don't lack imagination. Make your own connections and conclusions and finish it for yourself.

Just finished. Good ending.

One question, how did he light his pipe?

Seen a couple of people asking about that pipe!  And i dont pretend hold the vast knowledge of the great RJ... But here goes!

I think that the creator may have bestowed upon Rand the powers of The World of Dreams... Except usable IRL... Maybe not but who knows!

So disappointed I read it twice before posting just in case my dislike for this book was colored by the first reading, it wasn't.

My reason for disappointment, not any of the points raised by most all that I could live with. Instead it was the scene between Rand and the DL this is a plot device used so many times in so many series I can't believe I waited 15 yrs, had debates and discussions with many and went on about how great the books where to simply get an ending that Stephen Donaldson did years ago and got to in a fraction if the time. Really wish I had never started a d invested so much in this series.