DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "OMG I just finished!" Thread

Jason Denzel

A little empty this morning. After 19 years I have finally read the culmination of this work. Bittersweet. Satisfied. Disappointed. Happy. Sad.

All of these feelings have gone through my mind in the last 2 hours after I finished the story. I am at a loss to describe this feeling. I feel like I am abandoning them.

Rand lives.....Yay! Egwene dies.....oh no. I felt these feelings for all my companions of the last 2 decades. I have lost friends, I have seen other friends live, had questions answered, more left then were answered.

Feeling selfish.....how dare you die RJ? You were supposed to be here so we could hound you for answers, extrapolations, etc. How can you eliminate outriggers Harriet?

Above all, grateful, thanks RJ for creating this world, these friends, leaving your extensive notes. Thanks Harriet for keeping this project going even while you are hurting. Thanks Brandon for stepping in, even knowing everyone of us is always going to be second guessing your decisions.

Edited by Gangorn

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just just finished. Ahhh... Can't believe it's all over.

I just read (and posted in) the most emotional moments thread. I think some scenes I was less emotional about because I figured "No, this can't happen!" and was waiting for confirmation (Elayne and her babies, for instance). That was amazing. Don't know if I've ever felt so many emotions from a book. Can't believe it is all done, hard to imagine. Big thanks to RJ, BS, and Team Jordan. In all honesty, didn't quite expect this ending and it is surprising. Still coming to terms with it, sorta. I think this will be the first series I reread ever. And I will be excited to do so.

Wow. Can't believe it's done... Just wow.

As much as I wanted to breeze through this book to find out how it ended, I forced myself to take my time and enjoy it, as I'd only have one chance to read the ending to WOT for the first time. I started reading the series as a teenager (mid/late 90s) and have re-read it many times. Like everyone else, I was deeply saddened by RJ died, but I am glad that Harriet made the decision to finish the series. I was unfamiliar with Brandon Sanderson until the announcement that he was going to finish WOT, and I think Harriet chose well. I don't know if I would have ever come across BS's work if it weren't for the WOT connection, and I've now read and enjoyed all his books (except Way of Kings, which didn't quite do it for me on the first read...though I like his other books so much that I will give it another chance). While there are some differences in language and in the way some characters are written in the WOT books that BS has written, none of that detracts from the story for me. Perhaps it isn't perfect, but when reading the last three WOT books, I get just as absorbed into the world as I do in the first three books. I wish RJ was still around to finish the story himself, but I think BS did a phenomenal job and I'm happy with it. 

As for the book itself, OMG! So many awesome moments! LOVED the Rand/DO showdown! I don't know what I expected, but I was NOT expecting the mental battle between them - very cool. Demandred showing up with the Sharan army was probably one of the best mental pictures that I've envisioned in the entire series. Best. Forsaken. Ever. I LOVED that he was seemingly the most competent of the Forsaken, but he was A COMPLETE RAVING LUNATIC! I couldn't get enough of his battlefield rants to LTT, and I'd love to read the story of his rise to power in Shara. Lan's entire fight with him, culminating in Sheathing the Sword, definitely makes the short list for one of the best moments in the series. I threw my book across the room when I thought Lan was dead, and literally cheered when he stood up holding D's head. While I thought Padan Fain was going to play a larger role in the ending, I LOVED it when Mat stood up and killed him. (I did not throw the book when I thought Mat was dead - because at that point, so many characters that I thought were dead had ended up alive that I didn't believe it). Mellar trying to steal Elayne's babies - horrifying thought, and the only time in the book when I was concerned that the DO would actually win. Birgitte losing all her memories was heartbreaking and her death was HARSH. I wasn't convinced that she was still linked to the Horn, so I was really happy when she showed up with the Heroes. OLVER's plight had me scared of Trollocs again after many books in which Trollocs on their own aren't a threat to the main characters. I cheered again when Noal showed up to rescue him. In my mind, Perrin and Faile adopt Olver and he lives happily ever after. Egwene's death was pretty incredible. Gawyn's - meh. Rhuarc falling victim to Graendal's Compulsion was tragic.

I didn't mind the number of deaths, or the fact that some of the deaths occurred 'off-screen' or seemed anticlimactic. All of that made the battle more believable to me, because in a final showdown of good versus evil, there HAS to be casualties, and not all deaths in battle are heroic. If anything, I was surprised that so many of the main characters survived. I thought Lan would die for sure, and I didn't think that all three ta'veren would make it (I thought it would be Perrin that would die). If Mat survived, I expected Tuon to die, leaving Mat to be the Seanchan Emperor, which he would HATE (amusing), but would provide a good resolution to the damane issue, as Mat would free them. I also thought Moiraine and Thom would both die, since Moiraine was basically there on borrowed time anyway. All in all, it was less of a bloodbath than I expected. I also like that it was open-ended, so we can make up our own resolutions for all the characters. Sure, there are some unanswered questions, but imagine how long and incoherent the book would have been if every single question was answered!

All in all, I loved it. 

I really enjoyed the book. I read it really quickly, and at some points when I was very tired. I might give it a reread in a month or so. 

I thought it was well done. I was a little disappointed that Faile lived. Sounds heartless, and I'm not saying it because she's not one of my favorites. She annoyed me a lot but I am a Perrin fan. It's nice to see his story end in happiness. However, her death would have given the story a bit more sacrifice/gravity. 

The Forsaken finally were useful. I liked that. Grendal and Demandred mostly. I felt bad about Egwene, and I'm not a fan. I think her being the one to take out Taim was actually the right way to go. He was in charge of the dreadlords, her the white tower. They were actually better opposites than he and Logain. I also liked that Alivia helping him die was she leaving money, clothes, and a horse for Rand. Good little twist. 

I'm sure there are a million disappointed people. I would have liked to have seen Perrin do some more, I wanted to see more of him and his hammer destroying and going berserker, aside from that I really liked the book. Summing up a huge work like this so well takes more talent and hard work/ingenuity than I think many are giving credit for. 

i feel like faile should have died. When faile was kidnapped by shaido, perrin said he would throw the world away to the shadow to save her, shocking the others, and he bitterly realised how close he was to being a darkfriend with that attitude. In the Last Battle, he finally becomes mature and instead of looking for faile in the blight, makes sure he saves Rand from both Slayer and Lanfear. It would have given the ending bite if Perrin had then lost Faile. 

I forgot all about Fain - that was v pointless. The previous plot, where fain cut Rand in the Wound that Would Not Heal, and then the Asha'man pushed the Shadow evil and Aridhol evil together to fight each other, leading Rand to realise he could use Shadar Logoth itself to destroy the Taint on Saidin, was AWESOME. After that, Fain became a pointless loose thread. He should have had some major part in the end, perhaps trying to attack Rand and instead damaging the Dark One enough to distract him so that Rand could win. Or he should have died a lot earlier. Having him hang one for several books and then do nothing - meh. 

I also felt sad that there were no other reunions. Suian and Moiraine got nothing. Moiraine got v little screen time in general after all that effort to save her (I guess she was key to getting everyone  behind Rand at Merrilor). At least we got little mentions of most people - Morgase got a name drop, Juilin sandar got a brief scene. Alviarin deserved a better scene. Im glad Olver got a great plotline. Faile was heroic. Birgitte got a nice ending. 

I just finished the book and am quite dazed by the enormous implications this has for me personally... I just lost a companion, The wheel of time, it was always there in the back of my mind since i started in 2001. "is there a new book out yet?" nothing.. a time later "any update?, yes!" and the cycle would repeat. Now it is finished.. Thank you RJ and BS for the amazing journey. You have left me all the richer

hug,

Redguitar 

I enjoyed reading the last book.  I finished about a week ago, but have had work and family delay my processing of the ending.  I read it really quick as well.  I am not a patient person and I have been waiting since I found the Eye of the World in my high school library in 1992.  They had the first two books and I was instantly hooked.  I have spent many years waiting to know, does he live or die….and now I know he lives.  Overall the book gave me what I needed.

I, like many people, wish RJ had been able to finish the book himself.   I am just thankful I know the ending now.   I have spent so many years reading and re reading the series.  This series went with me everywhere.  I almost always had a book with me in a new read or a reread.  I tell ya, with the size of these books and being a tech junkie I was super happy to get them on my e-reader allowing me to carry them all with me and search for characters and key parts easily.  Totally life changing and back saving.

As far as the book itself and my own dreamed up expectations I did have some let downs.  I think it has been hard for many of us because we have been deeply involved in this world for so many years.  Twenty years to read the history of what happens in about two years in the story.  I have a hard time not picturing the characters in there thirties like me. 

The story starts with our friends leaving the two rivers together to start this amazing story, and I was deeply disappointed that they did not have a reconnection before the end.  I have always been stuck on Min’s viewing of the points of light being eaten by the darkness, yet doing better the more original characters are together, and holding their own against the blackness when they are all present.  It just seemed wrong that, sure they were all there, but more as an afterthought to fill the vision not because they had to be.  Moraine was such a part of Rand’s development of his character and how her dying affected him. Such a big deal was made of saving her.  She started this journey and had a huge lead up to coming back.  It should have been epic and instead it was flat.  She shows up and that’s about it.  No final wisdom or last piece of the puzzle.  I was very disappointed.  What was the point of rescuing her?  Many of the other characters could have taken her place and not changed the end at all. 

As I read the book I felt like someone created a checklist and just dropped things in.  Too many new characters had spent wasted pages being given a story and reason to be there and then what they did was not even important to the story.  So Alivia got him some gold…Ugg.  Padan Fain was forgotten before the end.  I felt like “what was the point of even having him.”    Androl and Pevera.  I really liked them and what they did, but what they did could have been done by known characters.  No need to spend pages on new ones.  Could care less about Nakomi, again I see no point. 

Sharans suddenly showing up was weird.  Here come a bunch of strangers I don’t care about or know anything about.  Same with Demandred, for an ultimate bad guy I just wasn’t engaged in his story.   I think there was just too much to finish up, and not enough pages to do it in.  It felt forced and I had a hard time getting lost in it.  Mentioning Bella getting killed was tacky.

I loved all of Lans scenes.  I love Egwene and was sad to see her die.  I like how the Aiel will serve the dragon still.  I didn’t need a big epilogue, so that was ok with me.  I liked how Logain ended up and hope he continues to glory. 

I just thought of something...are there still DFs in Randland? Who's the leader since all the Chosen are either dead or captured?

there might be black ajah's and unturned DF ashaman left but without the DO and active forsaken there might not be enough resistance.

However I worry for the mind warped Graendal and Mesaana... That's not mentioning Moggy in the hands of Seanchans. If moggy find a DF Seanchan, it's gonna be screwy again.

Finished it yesterday, having made myself read slowly because I didn't want to just breeze through it to the end. I am glad I chose that. The Last Battle chapter was freaking intense and that alone left me satisfied just because it was a blast to read. The Epilogue at first disturbed me a bit, as I'd rather have just a straight death for Rand, but after letting it soak in... it works as Rand no longer has to deal with living 'duty is heavier than a mountain' and actually has the opportunity to live freely now.

I've heard that RJ wrote the Epilogue himself and I was both warmed and saddened by the ending that was an ending, and also, a goodbye.

For all of the 11 wonderful years being a part of my life, Thanks RJ & Team Jordan.

Ps...   LAN! :biggrin:

Just finished another read of the book. Now that I'm fully free of the "Last WoT Book" glamour, I can honestly say: in any other context, this would have been a pretty good book. As the end of an epic nearly a quarter-century in the making... I would rather Harriet had left things alone and the story ended where Robert left us. The more time I've had to digest it, the more I dislike it.

This isn't a bash on Sanderson- I honestly like his other work. I have read all of it. I can't wait for the next Stormlight to arrive. I just think he was the wrong choice to finish WoT.

Perhaps there was no right choice. Perhaps I'd have been disappointed no matter what. Just seems like he didn't even try to make Demandred an interesting character, didn't try to make him a character at all- just something to fill space with useless bellowing every once in a while and a tool to facilitate the (not very) sad, heroic death of the (not very) heroic and sympathetic Gawyn.

Moiraine was less than an afterthought, should have been SO much more.

Bah... I'm not going to list all my grievances. You get the picture.

Just finished another read of the book. Now that I'm fully free of the "Last WoT Book" glamour, I can honestly say: in any other context, this would have been a pretty good book. As the end of an epic nearly a quarter-century in the making... I would rather Harriet had left things alone and the story ended where Robert left us. The more time I've had to digest it, the more I dislike it.

This isn't a bash on Sanderson- I honestly like his other work. I have read all of it. I can't wait for the next Stormlight to arrive. I just think he was the wrong choice to finish WoT.

Perhaps there was no right choice. Perhaps I'd have been disappointed no matter what. Just seems like he didn't even try to make Demandred an interesting character, didn't try to make him a character at all- just something to fill space with useless bellowing every once in a while and a tool to facilitate the (not very) sad, heroic death of the (not very) heroic and sympathetic Gawyn.

Moiraine was less than an afterthought, should have been SO much more.

Bah... I'm not going to list all my grievances. You get the picture.

I think for Sanderson or anyone else to finish it the way Robert Jordan would have (assuming they could have mimicked his writing style correctly) would have required expanding the final 3 books into several more. BS has his own ideas and books he wants to write and as exciting as it is for him to write the ending of the WOT he must have felt a desire to wrap it up and move on. I just think by the time he got to AMOL and got heavy into it he realized that he would just have to cut out all the tangents and wrap things up with a lack of the subtlety that RJ excelled at. I don't blame BS for this as he was left with a monumental task here and one that required much more than anyone realized. I am sure the writing experience here will help craft the Stormlight Archive into a better series as BS will have a better understanding of the problems wrapping up a long series.

Robert Jordan writing the WOT took lots of time to bring out things that are in the end unimportant. For example the whole Faile captured and Shaido archs are not relevant in the end, however for the development of the characters it served a useful purpose. It did help bring the black tower into the books and did help create confusion as to whose side the black tower was on (later on with all the issues with the Black Tower there is always that thought that they did help the side of light here). It also helped bring out Perrin's rise to leadership and the changes he went through. After reading through these, despite my general dislike for all the wasted time, you did come out with a very strong sense of the characters (unfortunately at the expense of the story). But if you consider the treatment the Shaido got versus Padain Fain you see the differences and maybe understand why BS did not follow RJ's method. The end of the Shaido and their removal from the book is complex and drawn out through many twists and it actually feels natural (despite it taking too many pages). The end of Fain is a one punch knockout. He shows up with his mists kills some people, tries killing Mat who feigns dead and then goes and kills Fain without any fanfare, oh and Mat does not take the dagger. For RJ to write this it would have taken a hundred pages or so. Ultimately it comes down to is that the resolution for Fain given the build-up should have been much more drawn out and more involved, but BS needed to finish the series so he had to consider Fain for his approach to writing, which is that Fain never would have been given the same amount of build-up and characterization that RJ gave him, and therefore for BS the way to deal with Fain is a simple killing him off with a minor twist that we thought Fain had gotten the better of Mat first.

I think you have to put yourself in BS's shoes. BS got to read the end before he wrote the final 3 books. He knew that Fain was unimportant for the end, yet he knew he had to put Fain in there as he was an integral part of the books till know. When it finally came time to write Fain, BS was looking at the size of the book and realized that it was going to be impossible to write him (consider this in aggregate for all the unsatisfactory plot conclusions) in sufficient detail and keep it down to one final book. As such he was forced to decide that this character was going to not get the detail that the readers expected. I would say this applies for Gawyn as well (all he was is a plot device to get Egwene mad enough to fight full out). His end is pretty unceremonious and again to write him a much more detailed role would have expanded the book unnecessarily.

Every time I post a comment my responses get so long winded! I just think that if the final books were written the way RJ writes, instead of 3 books it would have been 10. There is no way BS was going to delve that deep into RJ's soul and drag this out that long. I generally thought the 3 books BS wrote had a much faster pace then RJ's did, which I think is a good thing. I just think that by RJ dragging things out and spinning so many subplots we all got spoiled and expected resounding conclusions to each one. When it actually came down to it, I just think BS said no way and he focused on trying to wrap up loss ends (mostly) and not focus so much on keeping to RJ's style. Did he do a perfect job, absolutely not, but he did bring the books to an end. There are technical questions, which hopefully an encyclopedia will be created one day to help answer (like who the heck is Nakomi! And what is the story with the Voice, and how did Rand switch bodies, and what was the thing with him lighting the pipe with thought, and where did the Nym come from and do they come back ever, and how or why was Callandor ever made in the first place. And what was Demandred's sa'angrael and how did he get bonded to it and some more details about Shara and their prophecies and how Demandred took over. Also what was Luc/Slayer, why can't darkspawn go through gateways, do the ways still exist and are they still dangerous, was the vision in Rhudiean showing the future set by Nakomi or something about else. What was with Verin's letters and just so many more unanswered questions).

I just think that if the final books were written the way RJ writes, instead of 3 books it would have been 10.

People seriously need to stop throwing out ridiculous statements like this. 10 more books!? :blink:

Brandon argued against splitting the books as he knew there wasn't enough material, the bloat and filler in these last three show that to be true. Brandon brought things to a conclusion because that is where we were in the story arc at the end of KoD. The pace of that book was the equal of both TGS and ToM and we certainly have seen RJ be much more skilled in moving the action along with the use of literary devices like ellipsis(which Brandon seemed unable to do with his "tell don't show style") when he needed to. It's ironic that when people mention pace they almost always bring up CoT and not TSR or tFoH that are a much better representation of RJ's capabilities.

and where did the Nym come from and do they come back ever,

They were individually made constructs during the AoL who could use the OP for the benefit of growing crops and the like. There souls were "borrowed" from the gene pool.

and how or why was Callandor ever made in the first place.

Callandor was constructed during the war of power(on the down side of their tech age) as a regular item of power at a time in which things were being mass produced. The flaw was a simple manufacturing error.

Also what was Luc/Slayer,

The DO joined the souls of Lord Luc Mantear(sent to the blight by Gitara) and Isam Mandragoran(fled Malkier with his DF mother and grew up in the town) and granted him special abilities. Slayer can choose who he will be when he steps out of Tar.

why can't darkspawn go through gateways,

Because they are constructs. Constructs can't survive passing through a gateway.

do the ways still exist and are they still dangerous,

Yes they still exist and they are still dangerous.

Question
Would it be cleaned with the Cleansing of saidin?
Robert Jordan
No. Its like a bacteria breed. Just by cleaning up the chemicals that caused the bacteria to come into existence, unless it's feeding on that, those chemicals, you are not going to destroy the bacteria. You simply cut off what helped to create it.
Edited by Suttree

Well, I've finished and let it set in a little bit. It left me with a smile. It was the ending but I can't help but wonder.

Sanderson did a commendable job finishing an overwhelming project. I do fill that Jordan would have let some

things marinate if he could have lived to do so but it was important to have an ending to the series nontheless.

So, basically we got there to the summit of the mountain but we took the straight line. Jordan would have took

us around it and let us see all of the trees....and teach us how to properly wash silk. lol. It's not always the destination but

it's the journey. Jordan was best at the journey part. Sanderson gave us the destination. Which was better is left

to us to decide. I say thanks to both men. Well done.

Edited by ThorkinBarrimore

Having just finished the book, I have a few thoughts.

I set my expectations extremely low for AMoL, due to ToM, the pre-release materials, both 'memories' and chapter excerpts.  Had I not, it would have been next to impossible reading through the first over half of the book.  Many scenes were very flat, repetitive, and numerous horrible character representations gave a lot of very cringe-worthy moments.  Mat, Rand, and Tuon's meeting should seriously be stricken from the record.  I have a feeling a good portion of the battles could have been greatly condensed and saved everyone a lot of time, leaving room to perhaps tie up some loose ends with the many foreshadowed moments and secondary plot lines from previous books that never happened or got a mention.  There are many, many issues.

That being said, around the chapters leading up to the big #37, I started to find myself being pretty excited about reading what was going to happen.  It seemed the moments that felt a bit righter started to at least catch up with and in some cases outnumber the ones that put me off like the earlier ones did.  At some point in 37 it was full speed ahead and I had to know what came next.  There were many satisfying moments, many that left me wide-eyed in shock, some that made me roll my eyes, some that made me almost want to put the book down to collect my thoughts.  By the end of the book, my opinion on the question of whether the series should have been finished was finally answered with a 'yes'.

I know that personally there were moments while reading that I knew something was a mistake, and I'm sure I missed a lot of them in my somewhat hasty reading of some sections and incomplete knowledge of every line and implication in the series, and that re-reads will likely not hold up to even the smallest amount of scrutiny for things like that, but for a first read through my very low expectations were more than met by the end, so I enjoyed the experience of reading the last part quite a lot.  It shed light on just how difficult a task this was for Brandon Sanderson and Team Jordan considering how little direction they apparently had in several areas of the plot.  It isn't what it could have been, or probably even should have been, but in the end it did give the series another NY Times bestseller, and I'm fairly convinced that's what ultimately mattered.  I'm very hesitant to read it again soon, lest my somewhat good feelings be shattered to bits.

Honestly, I would have loved this series to have stretched for 20 novels, or even 30..... I would have had no problem reading the final book when I was 80....... Spending the past 13 years immersed in Randland has given me great pleasure...... Alas, Brother Jordan (RIP) was called away and although I have great appreciation for Brandon Sanderson, he is no Jordan, and I will always have an emptiness for "white might have been".....

Brandon Sanderson! Thanks for accepting this and having the guts to finish! We were watching very closely and "you did well".....

Anyhow, I was utterly thrilled with this final book, but also kind of let down!! The pacing was good, the story never lagged, the battles were evocative, if a little tedious.. Morraine was certainly not given the respect due such a structural character..... And what's with Bela's death? Really?!? Paidan Fain relegated to the last 15 pages and finished without much drama? Lots of things like that bugged me: Flat characters. Story lines concluded but without much impact. Dropping new things in (Sharans, crystalline antibalefire,) that just felt like fuel for plot movement. And given the immense emotional investment I have poured in, I would have liked to have seen celebrations and reactions from people as they breathed in the new Age, as Mat returning to the Seanchan and the repopulation after the hundreds of thousands killed. What ever happened with The Return, anyhow? I wanted to feel people's joy of renewal, of planting crops and feeling the joy of sunshine and life spreading through the land. Maybe seeing a year or three into the future, because, dammit, it's a place and story that I care about! It feels kind of cruel after years of Read And Find Out, an extra 10 pages couldn't be written about how the world reacts and adapts and continues on.

Make no mistake: I LOVED THIS BOOK. It worked so perfectly on many many levels: The emotions of the Last Battle caught me up, and I wept like a baby as Tam lighted Rand's pyre. The final words of the story reminded me why I love the WoT..... *Sigh* I am really gonna miss this......

EDIT: spelling / clarity

Edited by BlueSun

Well, I've finished and let it set in a little bit. It left me with a smile. It was the ending but I can't help but wonder.

Sanderson did a commendable job finishing an overwhelming project. I do fill that Jordan would have let some

things marinate if he could have lived to do so but it was important to have an ending to the series nontheless.

So, basically we got there to the summit of the mountain but we took the straight line. Jordan would have took

us around it and let us see all of the trees....and teach us how to properly wash silk. lol. It's not always the destination but

it's the journey. Jordan was best at the journey part. Sanderson gave us the destination. Which was better is left

+1

+1

Very well said Thorkin.

Ive only just finished the final book. I really enjoyed it, but im sad its all over. im going to have to find another epic series to start reading, one thats going to make me look forward to each new book that comes out any suggestions?

I really enjoyed the mat and rand part when rand came to meet tuon, it made me laugh.

olver and the horn of valere was great.

Lan killing demandred was a good fight.

Galad finding out Rand was his brother.

I was dissapointed that there wasnt more about moraine in the book.

Finally im really glad with the ending Rand not dying and riding away in a new body, how they repaired and remade the dark ones prison was really good using all three powers, but how did rand light his pipe at the, like it says in the book he tried both saidin and the true power and they wernt there so he just thought that his pipe would be lit and it was.

I just finished it!!!!! It was amazing and I can't believe it's over. Sucks that some of the characters had to die but that's the nature of the beast. I really liked the ending. All in all it was awesome as was the last 13 books and A New Spring. Well done RJ and well done BS!

Finished today as well. Very bittersweet, as I have also been reading them for years (started when I saw newly released The Dragon Reborn on a shelf and thought 'Woah! A glowing, floating sword!'), but I do feel Sanderson did a good job. I know I'm weird, but I personally thought Rand dying was the obvious choice. I do love how the entire, grand story loops back on itself, kind of reminds me of the Dark Tower series in that respect.

I think Sanderson did an amazing job for stepping in to the unbelievably daunting role he took on. Would it have been better if Jordan finished it?

Maybe. Okay, probably.

But what's the point of wondering?

Let's enjoy the amazing gift we have been given in this series.

More like getting to the summit and finding a bunch of empty plastic water bottles and candy wrappers laying around from the last group, and another summit over to the left that you didn't notice before, with no hope of climbing and no idea even how to get over there.