DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "OMG I just finished!" Thread

Jason Denzel

Finished it last night at 1am.  I have been reading WoT for over a decade, started when I was 12, and am now 23.  I can't believe it's over.  I am still stunned as I write this the morning following.  I cannot say enough, so I will suffice with just a few words.

Well done Rand Al'Thor.  Well done Matrim Cauthon.  Well done Perrin Aybara.  You have been my companions for so long, and shall always be.  

And thank you Robert Jordan for creating such a vibrant and wonderful world which encapsulated me every second.  Thank you Brandon Sanderson for getting done what needed to be done, and doing it beautifully.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It felt rather epic to read, and while I generally was not fond of all the battles and tactics, I understand why they were included.

However, this is probably more of a flaw with RJ than BS, but...seriously. Out of all the main characters, only one dies in the Last Battle. I know RJ is guilty of having all these immortal characters, but you'd think in the final book, that the one to die would be the one with the prophecy about them DYING. And then Alivia "helping him die". Oh, yeah, she gives him a pouch of coins. -_-

I don't mean to sound that I wanted all the characters to die, but honestly, those were some of the best moments of the book. Egwene's death was so very sad to me, yet I loved the entire scene. Even those like Siuan and Gareth were great, true to how precarious life is during these great struggles and how quickly it can be taken away. I do not like reading a book and thinking that during the Last Battle with the Dark One that, "oh, well, all the minor characters may die, but none of the main characters will". That's what made Egwene's death so unexpected! Wouldn't it have been amazing to have RJ lead us up to this book with all his immortal, perfect characters, only to have many of them die during the Last Battle?

Even Lan coming back to life kind of pissed me off. It's just such a copout for absolutely everyone of the main cast to get a happy ending, other than Egwene and Gawyn. The whole, "oh this battle had great costs, but humanity survived..." thing was sort of ridiculous, as I'm sure many people in Randland suffered tremendous losses, yet the main cast frankly did not, other than the loss of Egwene. Aviendha lost a few toes. :P

But, whatever, that was fairly predictable and therefore not that disappointing.

Another thing that was silly was the whole sword fighting with Damandred. It was great to read when Lan killed him, sacrificing himself, but the whole, "lol nvm just a flesh wound guys" thing following it sort of spoiled it for me. 

I enjoyed what we saw of Moghedien, Graendal and Lanfear. Lanfear especially was fascinating. I certainly could not decide what she was up to, and every scene she seemed to be closer and closer to turning back to the Light. Graendal embracing her ugliness and singlehandedly nearly sabotaging the Light's armies was great. Moghedien certainly was filled with lots of fails, though she was amusing as always. However, it really felt like there had to be a final confrontation between Nynaeve and Moghedien, especially given how little time Nynaeve was given in the books. Perhaps after Moghedien narrowly escapes death, Nynaeve is instead the one to catch her and they have a brief, final encounter before Nynaeve kills her. Instead, being collared as a damane seemed to imply something very dark, in contrast to the scene intending to be rather comedic.

Demandred was a little disappointing. His arrival was amazing, but degenerating into a raving lunatic was rather irritating, with Mat even pointing it out. I understand why it occurred, due to his extreme jealousy of Lews Therin, and the fact that it had to be explained that while he brought a massive force to the Shadow and was a Forsaken himself, he couldn't just wipe out the entire army or its command because he was paranoid of Lews Therin lurking about. I'm excited that more on his story is going to be released, so we can actually see why he became so unhinged. 

In general, it was good to see the Forsaken more involved and actually presenting challenges, using their strengths to undermine the Light's forces. Lanfear's deception and self-preservation, Graendal's Compulsion, Demandred's military tactics, Moghedien's...sneakiness. Though it was obvious that they would not win in the end, there were many moments where it felt very, very close, especially with the arrival of the Sharan forces.

Despite my complaints, I very much enjoyed the book. It just would have been so much better without the predicted RJ copouts and basically everyone having a perfect ending. The Last Battle was humanity's last chance at survival, and while the common wo/man seemed to make great sacrifices, along with the minor characters and Egwene, it was greatly lacking otherwise in the main cast. I expected a happy ending, but nothing so...unrealistically cheery.

It's far from a perfect ending. I mean, while Egwene was the only to do, the other emonds fielders will have to deal with that. Rand dealt with it when he heard her voice in his battle with the DO, but the rest? I think it will cause a lot of hurt when she is remembered, especially for Nyn. In fact, I'm sure the whole LB and the events leading up to it will weigh heavy on everyone in the future.

Also, one of my friends on another forum guessed the thing with Alivia, though I didn't say. He hasn't read it yet, and he said he didn't care for spoilers. So i told him only one of the characters he listed as important died. And he said it wouldn't be Rand, and that it seems Alivia will help him end his old life and start anew, or something along those lines (though he didn't guess who died and I never told him either). It was something I was wondering about all the way through the book, what with Alivia not being mentioned for huge chunks. Made me wonder what the hell she was getting up to. But it's not really a big deal. It makes sense. I mean, some viewings were fulfilled more literally than others. This one ended up not being particularly literal.

Edited by Vieira151

I just finished MoL a couple of days ago and all I can say is Wow. I've said to a few people that the Wheel of Time is my favorite thing, including all books, tv shows and movies, ever and that statement still holds true. That being said, I'm both happy and sad that it's over and couldn't think of a better place to come share my thoughts. I want to officially thank Robert Jordan for creating such an amazing world and introducing us to Rand, Mat and Perrin. I also want to thank Brandon Sanderson for seeing them through to the end so well.

Best. Story. Ever.

Edited by Dice

WOW! Just finished it last night.  Don't know what I am feeling - just feel like a part of my life has come to an end and yet allowing me to move on to new things,  Thank you Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson for a wonderful turning!

i thought mr sanderson did as good of a job finishing the series as humanly possible (considering the task and the fan base).  it wasnt perfect, but did the job, and i believe he fit what jordan wanted into the final books.  and i do have to add i read it all in one sitting...finishing bleary eyed at 5 a.m., and going to sleep satisfied!

that being said....a few thoughts:

• cool to see that olver and balwer were just who they were...themselves.  because i thought one or both would turn out to be not what we thought.  (maybe valan luca as well-though i am glad there was no more of that)
  • hoped for something more on machin shin and the ways...oh well
  • nice resolution on aiel channelers...viscious
  • no real meeting of rand/galad or lan/isam.  thought there might be more there...i was wrong
  • was hoping to see one more glimpse of a humiliated elaida...nope
  • and i was again wrong thinking the tuatha'an and the 'song' would have an impact
  • we never did get to see the sa'sara
  • the only death i was sad to see....rhuarc

Just finished this morning...

Overall, enjoyed it immensely, very emotional at times, must confess I did have a cry at the end of the book and a few tears throughout.

Not going to analyse for now, there was an awful lot to tie up and overall a pretty good job, perfect no, but generally happy with the book. Would have been nice to see what sense or order evolves throughout the lands, another few chapters wouldn't have gone amiss. I hope there are further books.

Just have a huge sense of loss now, I guess I will have to restart the entire series.

Thank you Mr Jordan  (RIP) and Mr Sanderson.

Guest Angewa

I cried when Rand realized it was never about him or the Dark One and goes through the list of his friends and why they were so important. I love this series. Is anyone else a little sad that it's over? I kind of feel like my warder just died :(

Pretty much since book 2, the bad guys in the series, for me, were the Seanchan. So, not having that issue resolved, totally sank my boat.

All in all, it's good to have some form of ending of the books I've invested so much time and love. And considering the situation with RJ's passing, it is a good enough ending.

I feel kind of empty now, gotta find something to occupy my free time, till I deal with the loss and the disappointment.

So I did just literally finish about five minutes ago and I feel quite numb right now. I have some pretty conflicting feelings for this book, some of them quite positive, some very negative. Personally, I think it would've benefited a lot from having a few less battles and having a bit more quieter, introspective moments and character development that didn't involve Androl. That said, the last 300 pages or so were absolutely glorious. I am still upset that Ruarc died though. And I am laughing so hard at Graendal's final fate. Also, I think I am a little disappointed that Rand did survive.

A terrible, amazing, sad, and lonely night. This day marks a point in my life.

After it has been years since I have shed a tear for anything, I let myself empty it all. I began when  Perrin collapses on the field, despairing for Faile. From then on, as the story moved to it end, I saw myself grieving for all the things in my past, the reasons which lead me to start reading WHeel of TIme to cope, all those years ago.

I find great solace in sharing these moments here with you all.

Thank You. The imagination of the human mind, I salute you. Jordan is the Dragon to all the darkness in my life.

Thank you.

Rest In Peace Robert Jordan.

May the creator shelter you.

I finished the aMoL last weekend, and I have been following the series for 20 almost years. I thought overall that BS and the rest of their team did as good a job as anyone could have under the circumstances, save for RJ himself. After reading the first 1/3 of the book, I really thought that they had ruined it; but, it was finished off very well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have to say that I am extremely melancholy and even sad that it is over. Its almost as if part of my own life has come to and end, after following the story for so many years. I am glad that most of the main characters survived, as I can keep them alive in my mind's eye forever.

My favourite scene: Rand nodding to Cadsuane as he was leaving his own funeral.

My least favourite scene: Gawyn's idiotic decision to face Demandred.

This is an extremely immersive world, and I am trying to bring myself out of it and the melancholy by starting another series.

Just wanted to bring closure by saying thanks to RJ, BS and everyone else involved.

Edited by stathman

Guest Hermony69

I just finished the book overly satisfied with it but I'm a little disapointed by that last chapter. I found myself asking what our main characters are going to become, how they're going to rebuild, if they are going to live in peace, and so on...I can't help myself thinking about the end of LOTR when Tolkien shows us what the heroes become after war is over. I would have appreciated this kind of ending, like a farewell with those attaching characters. 

The series will be missed for sure and I'll probably re-read it too!

My least favourite scene: Gawyn's idiotic decision to face Demandred.

I'm willing to defend Gawyn on this one. He decided to sacrifice himself, and it was not only a good plan, but he was really close to carry it through.

And like we saw with Lan later, attacking Demandred with sword/dagger was the best (and pretty much the only) thing to do.

Guest Vern Crisler

I enjoyed it but the last chapter had a rushed feeling to it.  If Jordan had had time, I'm sure each section of the chapter would have been expanded into a whole chapter and the last chapter would have been a whole book.  Then some more minor characters would have been introduced, and new threads would have started and we'd have gone into more innings -- probably three more books.

I thought killing Egwene was stupid and unforgivable.  That's what happens when a TV series goes on too long as well: they start killing of the main characters.  For that reason, WoT should have ended several books ago.

However, flaws and all, Jordan's WoT always makes for terrific reading.  He is the only truly worthy successor of Tolkien.

Just finished reading it: 800+ pages of awesomeness and being pumped up all the way to the end, and then, out of nowhere, the sound of "fbrlbfblrbtlrbbflrbbrltbfbfblrft" of a balloon that was the very short, wanting and somewhat weird Epilogue. That Epilogue actually kept me from sleeping 2 hours after I finished, which was a pity, since I LOVED the book.

I understand that Rand has deserved some peace, but this sneaking off into the sunset to go play the tourist, chuckling and smoking, leaving his friends and father to mourn at his pyre just felt very off, and unlike Rand.

Especially since it took 12k pages to make Rand learn to "care" again for himself and others. Also, one of the pillars of the series imo are the intricate and emotional relationships of so many key-characters with eachother over a long period, and this traipsing off of Rand, while musing about how to juggle his 3 girlfriends, just felt too lighthearted and out of sync with the rest. Also, Rand is not the only tragic figure that could need some peace here, and I would expect them to share these moments.

As others already have mentioned, I would have expected to see a longer epilogue where there is some winding down, possibly a few scenes in the Two Rivers, characters seeing some fruit of their labor, licking their (emotional) wounds together, a few glimpses on the world being rebuild, people coming to their own again. With such an epilogue, I could have been perfectly ok with Rand actuallly being dead too( ok, not perfectly but still). 

Someone told me that this was actually the end that RJ had in mind, and that explains it a bit. It leaves me wondering though wether RJ would have stuck to this ending if he could have seen the series to its end himself, seeing how it turned out. I could see this ending for a much shorter and lighter WoT, but not for the 14 books that make up WoT now. 

Even so, best series in the world, would (will) read again. :)

Edited by Treesong

Guest Knotai

Ok so only a few things I'd still like answered. How did rand light his pipe? Did he gain the creators own power when he combined the three? What will happen to the Aiel? Will they ever fight the seanchan if so who wins now that they know that they were originally destined to lose?

Otherwise I loved this book I read it slow the first time through and picked up all those wonderful little details. Brandon did a great job in my opinion. But as sad as I was to see egwene, gawyn, siuan, gareth, bashere and all of the other heroes I have grown to love in the years I've been reading die in the end they made the greatest sacrifice that can be made. They save everybody even if not directly. Ok now I'm off to retread the series from the beginning.

Ok so only a few things I'd still like answered. How did rand light his pipe? Did he gain the creators own power when he combined the three? What will happen to the Aiel? Will they ever fight the seanchan if so who wins now that they know that they were originally destined to lose?

The only person who could answer these questions is gone. So I think Brandon made the right decision to let every reader's imagination find the answers for himself.

I thought killing Egwene was stupid and unforgivable.

Why?

Since Eg discussions can get quite heated, would you mind taking any replies over to the Egwene thread?  Thanks

Just finished (I too started the series too late)

overall: best books ever yadda yadda yadda

disappointment: Fains quick vanquish. I do see how we already had a lot of focus on matt, and if he had a drawn out battle with fain it could have made him over shadow poor-ole' perrin.

My predictions that turned out wrong:

1     I thought rand would "turn" at least one of the forsaken. Maybe Elan Morin Tedronai (Ishamael, moridin) because of their wierd bond. Or lanfear, since she hinted at not obeying the dark one right through the series. Or even demandred, who sometimes seemed like he wanted to make the world in a positive way.  I was hoping that while the dark one was showing Rand how he would re-make the world, without maintaining his promisses to the forsaken, Rand might have somehow projected this conversation over the fields of merrilor. Demandred might have seen this and then WHOA look out dark one, rand now has forsaken on his side! (thats how I saw him winning)
2     My alternate theory was that rand was going to destroy the one power outright -  combining the two halves of the one source with the dark ones true source may cancel them out (dark-matter style) and thus defeat the dark one... WAMMIE.

Guest Fozzle

After nearly 20 years of reading this story (again and again with each new book) I'm not surprised at how sad and empty I feel now that it's over. I am surprised, like many others, at how rushed the last part of the book was. The battle went on and on and as good as it was I knew there weren't enough pages left to turn it around and finish on a high with time to take in the deaths and storyline completions. My heart sank and then it aIl thappened in a flash and with no hint of what is to become of the characters.

Still the best series ever but a wee bit disappointing at the end.